Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Snowed in

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anybody else not been able 2 work cause of the Snow?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *estless nativeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

Nope, only you.

The rest of the country is business as usual

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Dont have a choice. Need to make my work tonight even if it means walking 4 miles.

over a year ago

"Nope, only you.

The rest of the country is business as usual "

over a year ago

"Dont have a choice. Need to make my work tonight even if it means walking 4 miles."
Aww I'm self employed that's why I'm off

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Dont have a choice. Need to make my work tonight even if it means walking 4 miles."

Hope you've got all your snow gear!

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

No buses or trains so only option to get into work is walking 1hr knee deep.

Luckily, work has shut down to core services, so I'm not required

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"Dont have a choice. Need to make my work tonight even if it means walking 4 miles.

Hope you've got all your snow gear!"

Oh yes. I will be well covered up.

over a year ago

"Dont have a choice. Need to make my work tonight even if it means walking 4 miles.

Hope you've got all your snow gear!

Oh yes. I will be well covered up."

My wife is the same. She had to walk into work last night. About 2 and half miles to the walk back this morning.

While I have been prays for work to call me in. I'm getting cabin fever being stuck with the kids. Lol

over a year ago

Everyone has a choice.

No one needs to put themselves in danger or gross invonvenience to make it work in these conditions.

By *areBares7778Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

My work closed so walked half way before being told to head home. It's bad down here and still getting worse..

By *eeler4uCouple
over a year ago

Stirlingshire

No choice for some of us.Got to get out there as livestock to feed even though some of the drifts are feet high.

over a year ago

I’m well fed up with this snow, novelty has worn off , cabin fever set in , at least we have fab for horny chat xx

over a year ago

"No choice for some of us.Got to get out there as livestock to feed even though some of the drifts are feet high."

You live out in the middle of nowhere though that's why it's bad. I don't envy you but I take my hat off to you, be safe x

over a year ago

"Anybody else not been able 2 work cause of the Snow? "

yeah been a nightmare normally my busiest time of year as well. Snow plough will just have to sit there hahaha

By *mooth shaftMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Got 16 inches here!! Not often a bloke can say that 100% genuinely!!

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"Everyone has a choice.

No one needs to put themselves in danger or gross invonvenience to make it work in these conditions. "

And the choice is easy to make because without us at work folk will die. Think us daft if you must but hopefully others will appreciate what we do

over a year ago

"Everyone has a choice.

No one needs to put themselves in danger or gross invonvenience to make it work in these conditions.

And the choice is easy to make because without us at work folk will die. Think us daft if you must but hopefully others will appreciate what we do "

Hats off to those in the service few that keep the rest of us to come no along x some people have been offering lifts to doctors and nurses with their 4x4 on Facebook

over a year ago

"Got 16 inches here!! Not often a bloke can say that 100% genuinely!!

"

I’ve got 14” at my back door and 2foot at my front door

over a year ago

"Everyone has a choice.

And the choice is easy to make because without us at work folk will die. Think us daft if you must but hopefully others will appreciate what we do "

But that's not on you. That's on your employer. Would I want someone who has walked 4 miles in the snow looking after me in a life or death situation? Absolutely not. You will be tired. You might make mistakes.

It's up to your employer to assist you as much as possible tonight. If they are happy for you to walk 4 miles through thick snow to get in, then they are a very bad employer. Simple as that.

By *atsnTitsCouple
over a year ago

Land Of Naughtiness

"Everyone has a choice.

And the choice is easy to make because without us at work folk will die. Think us daft if you must but hopefully others will appreciate what we do

Hats off to those in the service few that keep the rest of us to come no along x some people have been offering lifts to doctors and nurses with their 4x4 on Facebook "

Yeah we seen that so heart warming and nurses slept overnight in hospitals and care homes across to ensure others were looked after. Not to mention the poor young women who died on her way to work in the snow yesterday to look after others. Some job roles you really don’t have a choice but go to work cause people need to be looked after or as bluebell said they would die and sadly for people in those roles they have a duty of care and always put others first no matter what. That’s why they are in the job roles they are. Hats off to everyone working in healthcare

By *atsnTitsCouple
over a year ago

Land Of Naughtiness

"Everyone has a choice.

But that's not on you. That's on your employer. Would I want someone who has walked 4 miles in the snow looking after me in a life or death situation? Absolutely not. You will be tired. You might make mistakes.

It's up to your employer to assist you as much as possible tonight. If they are happy for you to walk 4 miles through thick snow to get in, then they are a very bad employer. Simple as that. "

So then who looks after these people??

By *idingawayCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I can’t drive to where I work so had 2 days off so far

over a year ago

"Everyone has a choice.

We do appreciate all that work in life saving services

over a year ago

"Everyone has a choice.

It's up to your employer to assist you as much as possible tonight. If they are happy for you to walk 4 miles through thick snow to get in, then they are a very bad employer. Simple as that.

So then who looks after these people?? "

That's the duty of the employer to have contingencies for this. Not the employee.

As you said, someone died trying to make it in to work yesterday. Someone will die today trying to get in to work. Ultimately, it's the sole responsibility of the employer to make contingencies for these situations, not the staff.

By *atsnTitsCouple
over a year ago

Land Of Naughtiness

"Everyone has a choice.

That's the duty of the employer to have contingencies for this. Not the employee.

As you said, someone died trying to make it in to work yesterday. Someone will die today trying to get in to work. Ultimately, it's the sole responsibility of the employer to make contingencies for these situations, not the staff. "

what would you suggest ??? Robots!! Either way these people need someone to look after them who works within that organisation

over a year ago

"Everyone has a choice.

As you said, someone died trying to make it in to work yesterday. Someone will die today trying to get in to work. Ultimately, it's the sole responsibility of the employer to make contingencies for these situations, not the staff.

what would you suggest ??? Robots!! Either way these people need someone to look after them who works within that organisation "

Staff quarters that are fit for purpose. Those that can stay, have the option, those that can't, don't have to. Give the staff a suitable place to rest, sleep, shower, relax and eat and it helps alleviate this problem.

But it's far easier just not to spend money on practical stuff like that and risk the lives of their employees battling into work.

By *atsnTitsCouple
over a year ago

Land Of Naughtiness

"Everyone has a choice.

what would you suggest ??? Robots!! Either way these people need someone to look after them who works within that organisation

Staff quarters that are fit for purpose. Those that can stay, have the option, those that can't, don't have to. Give the staff a suitable place to rest, sleep, shower, relax and eat and it helps alleviate this problem.

But it's far easier just not to spend money on practical stuff like that and risk the lives of their employees battling into work. "

A lot of places do have this in place especially out in the community

over a year ago

"Everyone has a choice.

But it's far easier just not to spend money on practical stuff like that and risk the lives of their employees battling into work.

A lot of places do have this in place especially out in the community "

And quite rightly so. Time to turn it up a few notches nationwide for circumstances exactly like this.

By *imited 3EditionCouple
over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

Hats off to anyone who braved the snow and made it into work, whether they are in the business of saving lives or providing some other service. You're all awesome!

I'm thankful I haven't had to go into work and could stay home with my kids since schools are closed. Hubby is self employed so this is a problem for him but it's better not to risk driving unless really necessary. I definitely feel for anyone who doesn't have the option of staying in

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Wow, Butler. Just... wow. We’ll be generous and chalk it off to naivety. That you have no idea how many of us are employed in essential jobs. I’m not talking about the people who have delayed my journey to work the last two mornings, the people who think their job is important because they’re paid three times as much as me and drive a big flash Audi to work. I’m talking about people in jobs where, if we’re not there, people get hurt, or die, or the country grinds to a halt.

You’re talking about a MASSIVE logistical task, to the point of impossibility, to say it’s an employer’s responsibility to get you to work. (Also, it just isn’t their responsibility, period.) You have no idea what you’re talking about.

And your answer is staff quarters? Brilliant. Who pays for these quarters? Who maintains them? Where are these quarters? What do we do with them the other 48 weeks if the year when there’s no snow?

And, let’s say that we find the money for this down the back of Nicola Sturgeon’s sofa... what are we supposed to do? At the first sign of snow, do I head to work, with my bag packed for my stay? How long am I going to be there? What am I going to eat? Who’s looking after my dog? Who’s looking after my colleague’s kids?

Look, it’s fine. We knew what we were taking on when we took these jobs. We knew what we were sacrificing. We don’t resent you staying at home with a hot chocolate and Netflix. But, by fuck, don’t lecture us about going to work.

By *gag001Couple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Wow, Butler. Just... wow. We’ll be generous and chalk it off to naivety. That you have no idea how many of us are employed in essential jobs. I’m not talking about the people who have delayed my journey to work the last two mornings, the people who think their job is important because they’re paid three times as much as me and drive a big flash Audi to work. I’m talking about people in jobs where, if we’re not there, people get hurt, or die, or the country grinds to a halt.

You’re talking about a MASSIVE logistical task, to the point of impossibility, to say it’s an employer’s responsibility to get you to work. (Also, it just isn’t their responsibility, period.) You have no idea what you’re talking about.

And your answer is staff quarters? Brilliant. Who pays for these quarters? Who maintains them? Where are these quarters? What do we do with them the other 48 weeks if the year when there’s no snow?

And, let’s say that we find the money for this down the back of Nicola Sturgeon’s sofa... what are we supposed to do? At the first sign of snow, do I head to work, with my bag packed for my stay? How long am I going to be there? What am I going to eat? Who’s looking after my dog? Who’s looking after my colleague’s kids?

Look, it’s fine. We knew what we were taking on when we took these jobs. We knew what we were sacrificing. We don’t resent you staying at home with a hot chocolate and Netflix. But, by fuck, don’t lecture us about going to work."

Spot on!!

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

Oh you just fell into butlers trap. You took the bait. Best thing you can do with Butler is ignore every post he puts on here . Dont give him the satisfaction of a response. Well done to all who made their work today and best wishes for tomorrow.

over a year ago

"Everyone has a choice.

It's up to your employer to assist you as much as possible tonight. If they are happy for you to walk 4 miles through thick snow to get in, then they are a very bad employer. Simple as that. "

Our jobs a vocation were we happily put other people before ourselves

over a year ago

I can work from home and do at least a couple of days a week which is good only downside is in weather like this I can still work so no snow days for me

over a year ago

"Wow, Butler. Just... wow. We’ll be generous and chalk it off to naivety. That you have no idea how many of us are employed in essential jobs. I’m not talking about the people who have delayed my journey to work the last two mornings, the people who think their job is important because they’re paid three times as much as me and drive a big flash Audi to work. I’m talking about people in jobs where, if we’re not there, people get hurt, or die, or the country grinds to a halt.

Look, it’s fine. We knew what we were taking on when we took these jobs. We knew what we were sacrificing. We don’t resent you staying at home with a hot chocolate and Netflix. But, by fuck, don’t lecture us about going to work."

Hope you made it in alright, bud. Keep up the good fight, we're all very proud of you!

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Arrived safe by car. Some staff been here since yesterday morning and others staying overnight tonight to ensure they are here for their dayshift tomorrow. All dedicated to make the service run smooth.

By *entleman Caller GlasgowMan
over a year ago

Bellshill

"Arrived safe by car. Some staff been here since yesterday morning and others staying overnight tonight to ensure they are here for their dayshift tomorrow. All dedicated to make the service run smooth."

That’s good dedication, please accept my respect x

Post new Message to Thread