Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Sexism

Jump to newest

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Sexism:

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

2018. Have things changed?

Are they changing?

Do women really want to be 100% equal with men?

Are we now discriminating more against men?

What are you views fabbers??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Sexism:

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

Are they changing?

What are you views fabbers?? "

females will never be equal until the fight on front line side by side in equal numbers as men, when in war

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Yes sexism against men is on the rise what makes it worse is its sometimes masked behind bringing equality into the workplace eg a male applicant is 10% better at a job than a female applicant but the female gets the job as the employer want to fill his percieved quota

over a year ago

"Yes sexism against men is on the rise what makes it worse is its sometimes masked behind bringing equality into the workplace eg a male applicant is 10% better at a job than a female applicant but the female gets the job as the employer want to fill his percieved quota "

that can also be said regarding colour

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Personally speaking, I like men with manners, who open doors for me, put me at the inside of the pavement, help me with my coat etc

But I don’t expect a man to pay for me.

There’s lots of things I can’t do that stereotypically that a man can do, and vice versa.

I don’t think I’m better than men but I do think I’m just as good.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Yes sexism against men is on the rise what makes it worse is its sometimes masked behind bringing equality into the workplace eg a male applicant is 10% better at a job than a female applicant but the female gets the job as the employer want to fill his percieved quota

that can also be said regarding colour"

yup and a post is made for that discussion

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

females will never be equal until the fight on front line side by side in equal numbers as men, when in war"

Yeah and men will only be as good as women when they start looking after our children in equal numbers as women

over a year ago

I want to be equal! Although simple things like having the door held open or a chair pulled out etc are so often missed with the younger generation of male!

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

females will never be equal until the fight on front line side by side in equal numbers as men, when in war"

I was watching a documentary about that.

Those two women were told they couldn't because they would be a distraction during the mission.

Apparently men don't react the same when there is a woman in the rank. They automatically feel responsible and protective.

Maybe that's that view that needs to change.

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Yes sexism against men is on the rise what makes it worse is its sometimes masked behind bringing equality into the workplace eg a male applicant is 10% better at a job than a female applicant but the female gets the job as the employer want to fill his percieved quota

that can also be said regarding colour"

Agreed

over a year ago

Hard 1

Yes I like a guy to open a door for me but I always would expect a woman to Do that to?

That's just manners.

I'd say sexism is on the rise towards men actually

If a woman is getting paid less in a job as a male well that's up to the said woman to fight for it to be the same!

Why raise the sexism card for someone else to fight your own battle?

over a year ago

"Personally speaking, I like men with manners, who open doors for me, put me at the inside of the pavement, help me with my coat etc

There’s lots of things I can’t do that stereotypically that a man can do, and vice versa.

I don’t think I’m better than men but I do think I’m just as good."

why compare yourself to a man, your a female, a lady, both should be equal in rights, but both totally different species

wouldn't it be better if the world simply just loved each other for what they were, rather than constant comparisons and critism

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

females will never be equal until the fight on front line side by side in equal numbers as men, when in war

Those two women were told they couldn't because they would be a distraction during the mission.

Apparently men don't react the same when there is a woman in the rank. They automatically feel responsible and protective.

"

its not just this (they feel this is automatic in men same as nurturing is automatic in females) biologically we are diffrent which would create other problems at the frontline as some want to call it.

There are physiological diffrences between men and woman that simply have to be taken into account

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Hard 1

Yes I like a guy to open a door for me but I always would expect a woman to Do that to?

That's just manners.

I'd say sexism is on the rise towards men actually

If a woman is getting paid less in a job as a male well that's up to the said woman to fight for it to be the same!

Why raise the sexism card for someone else to fight your own battle?

"

Absolutely.

We moan about the French going on strike every month just about lol but it does shake things up!

Everyone should know what they are worth!

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Personally speaking, I like men with manners, who open doors for me, put me at the inside of the pavement, help me with my coat etc

I don’t think I’m better than men but I do think I’m just as good.

why compare yourself to a man, your a female, a lady, both should be equal in rights, but both totally different species

wouldn't it be better if the world simply just loved each other for what they were, rather than constant comparisons and critism

"

I feel have to compare myself to a man it times. I’m my children’s father as well as their mother.

Despite shaving my legs for many years I felt out of my depth when my teenage son asked me how to shave at the weekend. I had to man up.

over a year ago

Sexism in the workplace is a minefield. Quotas of male/female in my eyes is wrong...it should always be best person for the job. In general I think sexism is a deep rooted problem that will take a lifetime to sort. An example is the amount of "men only" clubs which dont allow women..e.g. parliamentary clubs, masons etc.

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

its not just this (they feel this is automatic in men same as nurturing is automatic in females) biologically we are diffrent which would create other problems at the frontline as some want to call it.

There are physiological diffrences between men and woman that simply have to be taken into account"

I agree but not all women are wired the same. Why not organise some kind of screening. Sounds awful but would give the women wanting a chance to go through, if that makes sense.

Like all women don't have the maternal instinct if you like. Not all women are 'unfit' for the frontline

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Sexism in the workplace is a minefield. Quotas of male/female in my eyes is wrong...it should always be best person for the job. In general I think sexism is a deep rooted problem that will take a lifetime to sort. An example is the amount of "men only" clubs which dont allow women..e.g. parliamentary clubs, masons etc. "
not sure but I think alot of these clubs have/are being dealt with sure I seen some big golf clubs forced to change there policys and westminster clubs also

over a year ago

"I want to be equal! Although simple things like having the door held open or a chair pulled out etc are so often missed with the younger generation of male! "

im curious..do you hold the doors open for men and take their chairs out etc. For the record I am generally curteous to people...but I have yet to see someone offering me their seat on a bus or a train

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Sexism in the workplace is a minefield. Quotas of male/female in my eyes is wrong...it should always be best person for the job. In general I think sexism is a deep rooted problem that will take a lifetime to sort. An example is the amount of "men only" clubs which dont allow women..e.g. parliamentary clubs, masons etc. not sure but I think alot of these clubs have/are being dealt with sure I seen some big golf clubs forced to change there policys and westminster clubs also"

Think I read something recently about that with the charity men only dinner or something

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

Women always have an uphill struggle for equality. Women used to have to give up work when they got married. They had to fight to get maternity benefits and maternity leave.

Even in retirement women are not equal. Often we have less in our pension contributions due to maternity leave, lower pay, etc.

Adverts are still sexist. A guy to sell cars and insurance, a woman to sell cleaning products and holidays.

Maybe one day there’ll be equality.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

There are physiological diffrences between men and woman that simply have to be taken into account

I agree but not all women are wired the same. Why not organise some kind of screening. Sounds awful but would give the women wanting a chance to go through, if that makes sense.

Like all women don't have the maternal instinct if you like. Not all women are 'unfit' for the frontline "

I think the principle is correct and im sure most agree with it the practicality is very diffrent eg because of laws you would have to get twice as many toilet rest areas would req more area to house seperate sexes logistically it ends up a nightmare. You dont have to be on the frontline to be armed and a combatant remember

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"I want to be equal! Although simple things like having the door held open or a chair pulled out etc are so often missed with the younger generation of male!

im curious..do you hold the doors open for men and take their chairs out etc. For the record I am generally curteous to people...but I have yet to see someone offering me their seat on a bus or a train"

Ha!!! Good luck to you! I was never offered a seat on the train even when was 8 months pregnant. Stood going to Glasgow every day!

over a year ago

Just the other night

..was collecting about 4 boxes of pizzas.. (family of 5) lol

Was waiting on mine the guy in front of me had 2 boxes I opened the door for him he thanked me and went on his way...my turn to get out the door with all my order...man in his 40s looked at me and then went back to look at his phone..so I had to struggle to open the door..as I did I turned to him and said..cheers for that mate!!

Ignoramis! Thats not sexism its plain manners

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Women always have an uphill struggle for equality. Women used to have to give up work when they got married. They had to fight to get maternity benefits and maternity leave.

Even in retirement women are not equal. Often we have less in our pension contributions due to maternity leave, lower pay, etc.

Adverts are still sexist. A guy to sell cars and insurance, a woman to sell cleaning products and holidays.

Maybe one day there’ll be equality.

"

I think your examples are more perception than an attempt to make genders conform

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Like all women don't have the maternal instinct if you like. Not all women are 'unfit' for the frontline I think the principle is correct and im sure most agree with it the practicality is very diffrent eg because of laws you would have to get twice as many toilet rest areas would req more area to house seperate sexes logistically it ends up a nightmare. You dont have to be on the frontline to be armed and a combatant remember

"

Totally agree.

Toilets?? What's wrong with behind a bush

A all woman unit! That's what we need

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I want to be equal! Although simple things like having the door held open or a chair pulled out etc are so often missed with the younger generation of male!

im curious..do you hold the doors open for men and take their chairs out etc. For the record I am generally curteous to people...but I have yet to see someone offering me their seat on a bus or a train

Ha!!! Good luck to you! I was never offered a seat on the train even when was 8 months pregnant. Stood going to Glasgow every day!"

That's shocking

Bad manners

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Just the other night

Was waiting on mine the guy in front of me had 2 boxes I opened the door for him he thanked me and went on his way...my turn to get out the door with all my order...man in his 40s looked at me and then went back to look at his phone..so I had to struggle to open the door..as I did I turned to him and said..cheers for that mate!!

Ignoramis! Thats not sexism its plain manners "

A lot of people lack common courtesy. Even when driving, I was taught to give a wee wave if someone stops to let you pass. Not many people do that anymore.

Little things make a difference!

over a year ago

Personally I think.its been turned on its head, cld end up dangerous,

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Like all women don't have the maternal instinct if you like. Not all women are 'unfit' for the frontline I think the principle is correct and im sure most agree with it the practicality is very diffrent eg because of laws you would have to get twice as many toilet rest areas would req more area to house seperate sexes logistically it ends up a nightmare. You dont have to be on the frontline to be armed and a combatant remember

Totally agree.

A all woman unit! That's what we need "

way to many doors with no one to open them...........im joking

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Just the other night

Ignoramis! Thats not sexism its plain manners "

Indeed, just manners!

And again, common sense too

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

A all woman unit! That's what we need way to many doors with no one to open them...........im joking "

Haha!

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Right I’m going for a nice bubble bath and a face mask! Hahahahaha

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Right I’m going for a nice bubble bath and a face mask! Hahahahaha "

Sounds great, enjoy

By *onkeymagic50Man
over a year ago

Near the harbour

Not sexist but women do make good dishwashers

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Not sexist but women do make good dishwashers "

Sex with a dishwasher?! Kinky!

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Not sexist but women do make good dishwashers "

Didn’t know hotpoint was an all female company!

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Appreciate a guy opening a door for me as long as he remembers to slap my arse as i walk by.x

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

"Appreciate a guy opening a door for me as long as he remembers to slap my arse as i walk by.x"

Noted

By *ruceWayne85Man
over a year ago

Hamilton

All for equip rights, but does than mean woman should start putting us on their shoulders at concerts

By *uddleanstrokeMan
over a year ago

Bristol / Crete / Glasgow

So, being courteous, I open the door and warm the bed ... but who gets to play first? who is on top? Does respect - or basic animal instincts - not come out in the sensual/ sexual fun? What about sub/ domme fun? Or teasing? Surprises? Or does having fun allow all respect to be ignored? I hope not.

“prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination,... on the basis of sex”.. but aren’t we all individuals? all w our differences? our life experiences? On a journey of exploration... The unwritten chaotic recipe for life .. now bend over ...

over a year ago

I think there is too much emphasis on equality being translated as men and women being equally able to do the same things.

Truth is, as a rule (Not a sweeping statement, there are exceptions) men have talents we don't have and women have talents men don't have.

Men and Women are two sides of the one HUMAN coin and therefore I see equality as each valuing the other equally.

Just my opinion of course

Oh, and yes I like getting a door held open for me and would do the same in return for anyone male or female

over a year ago

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

A all woman unit! That's what we need way to many doors with no one to open them...........im joking

Haha! "

So is anyone posting on this had experience of the frontline. If so where if you not mind me asking. I'm not trying to get a bite. If it's all coming from a documentary then it's a one sided view.

over a year ago

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

A all woman unit! That's what we need way to many doors with no one to open them...........im joking

Haha!

So is anyone posting on this had experience of the frontline. If so where if you not mind me asking. I'm not trying to get a bite. If it's all coming from a documentary then it's a one sided view."

I really don't think this matters on the big picture, there are many examples of women being brave at/in war (google is your friend here).

As said previously sex (as in male or female) have innate talents but not exclusive. Men don't have dibs on bravery or killing and women don't have dibs on nurturing or compassion. To debate on issue within the question is losing focus... but interesting nonetheless

Yes the view of what "equality" means needs to change in my opinion

By *eefyBangerMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

Sexism in the work is rife. The conversations, innuendoes and comments from women is nothing short of embarrassing

Women of all ages talking about taken men into the cupboard while those men are in company and not in any way playing along to their perverted games. Now some will say that it's water of a ducks back to men, maybe so I've seen instances of young male office juniors being on the end of this abuse. You can clearly see the young guy in this stage is very embarrassed

Let's turn it around and I said to one of the women of any ages never mind a young female office junior in a suggestive manner "why don't we go in that stationery cupboard" my feet wouldn't touch the ground from that moment till I'm suspended/disciplined or whatever the process is

So yes, sexism is well and truly alive in the work place but it's women who are the culprits

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

Haha!

So is anyone posting on this had experience of the frontline. If so where if you not mind me asking. I'm not trying to get a bite. If it's all coming from a documentary then it's a one sided view."

Nope, no experience of the 'frontline' here.

I can only speak for my comments. I have had this conversation with someone I know currently serving in a high position in the French Military and Navy. And the British documentary in question, exposed the views of the two women and the view of the person representing the Military.

So it was not one sided, as both parties were giving their point of view.

Hope that answers your question

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

" Men don't have dibs on bravery or killing and women don't have dibs on nurturing or compassion. "

I agree a mama bear protecting her cubs can be lethal

over a year ago

" Men don't have dibs on bravery or killing and women don't have dibs on nurturing or compassion.

I agree a mama bear protecting her cubs can be lethal"

Indeedy Max

over a year ago

"Sexism in the work is rife. The conversations, innuendoes and comments from women is nothing short of embarrassing

Women of all ages talking about taken men into the cupboard while those men are in company and not in any way playing along to their perverted games. Now some will say that it's water of a ducks back to men, maybe so I've seen instances of young male office juniors being on the end of this abuse. You can clearly see the young guy in this stage is very embarrassed

Let's turn it around and I said to one of the women of any ages never mind a young female office junior in a suggestive manner "why don't we go in that stationery cupboard" my feet wouldn't touch the ground from that moment till I'm suspended/disciplined or whatever the process is

So yes, sexism is well and truly alive in the work place but it's women who are the culprits"

Going by this and your other comment on the racism thread... your experience of life is rather negative... that's a shame, can't say I've ever found my country like that but again every country has people who are "ists"

By *eefyBangerMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

"Sexism in the work is rife. The conversations, innuendoes and comments from women is nothing short of embarrassing

So yes, sexism is well and truly alive in the work place but it's women who are the culprits

Going by this and your other comment on the racism thread... your experience of life is rather negative... that's a shame, can't say I've ever found my country like that but again every country has people who are "ists" "

I wouldn't say negative, I take things as I see them. I just don't go threw life looking through rose tinted specs. I know the difference between left and right but more importantly I know the difference between right and wrong

over a year ago

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

Haha!

So is anyone posting on this had experience of the frontline. If so where if you not mind me asking. I'm not trying to get a bite. If it's all coming from a documentary then it's a one sided view.

I can only speak for my comments. I have had this conversation with someone I know currently serving in a high position in the French Military and Navy. And the British documentary in question, exposed the views of the two women and the view of the person representing the Military.

Hope that answers your question "

Again not starting anything but French military and navy expect the marines are not frontline.

I have been on Op banner, telic, herrick and toral. All very different jobs and locations in their own right. All but banner I had women along side me. Not once did any feeling ever come into the fold. No matter how active they became. The roles were different. Medic, police, dog handlers and searchers.

The only question is can the female body take the weight and strain of training and operations. Trails are in place now.

The only reason they are not in right now is that if the training breaks the females then the army will have multiple law suits.

If you look at the men coming through training right now, there is an increase of bodys breaking due to the lifestyle we grow up in.

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

Haha!

Again not starting anything but French military and navy expect the marines are not frontline.

I have been on Op banner, telic, herrick and toral. All very different jobs and locations in their own right. All but banner I had women along side me. Not once did any feeling ever come into the fold. No matter how active they became. The roles were different. Medic, police, dog handlers and searchers.

The only question is can the female body take the weight and strain of training and operations. Trails are in place now.

The only reason they are not in right now is that if the training breaks the females then the army will have multiple law suits.

If you look at the men coming through training right now, there is an increase of bodys breaking due to the lifestyle we grow up in."

Well, you are starting something lol and it is totally fine

over a year ago

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

Haha!

If you look at the men coming through training right now, there is an increase of bodys breaking due to the lifestyle we grow up in.

Well, you are starting something lol and it is totally fine "

Lol It does get me this topic. They might not be in the infantry but everyone in the army (except the Chaplin) is a soldier first.

By *awty Max OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

Haha!

Lol It does get me this topic. They might not be in the infantry but everyone in the army (except the Chaplin) is a soldier first."

I gathered that lol

over a year ago

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

Haha!

Lol It does get me this topic. They might not be in the infantry but everyone in the army (except the Chaplin) is a soldier first."

Sorry I mean not in YET.

over a year ago

Heard today

Tunnocks tea cake had a tennis advert banned as someone complained about it being sexist!!

A fekn tunnocks tea cake!!!

Come on people get a life!!

over a year ago

"Sexism:

Are they changing?

Totally agree.

Haha!

Hope that answers your question "

The military does not pay enough wage for most even to consider front line, or even join up in the first place,

*extreme poor wage

*poor pension (if you get to pension age)

*and very good record of ignoring and lack of treating Vets well

I do have 30+ years experience working offshore, and although you do get female tiffy's offshore, I have yet to see a female remove a nut with hammer & chisel

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"Heard today

Tunnocks tea cake had a tennis advert banned as someone complained about it being sexist!!

A fekn tunnocks tea cake!!!

Come on people get a life!!"

You’ve got to see it to appreciate it was . If they showed a guy with two teacakes in a certain position that would have been offensive too .

Post new Message to Thread