Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Is it time to ban fireworks?

Jump to newest

By *andy_Fraser OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Except for fully vetted experts at organised displays.

There are STILL fireworks being let off here and it's now 5 past 1 in the morning. I kid you not, but it has been like a warzone here since 3 minutes to 12!

Fireworks at Y2K I could understand as that was a monumental year, but do we really need them every year?

My dog is absolutely petrified, and it will be a good 3 or 4 hours before he settles down enough for us to get to bed.

I've had enough of reprobates legally blowing things up at times like this. The next MP to promise silent fireworks or a total ban, will get my vote.

Mandy

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Seriously?! Lol. It's a couple of nights a year!

over a year ago

Get a life

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

Live and let live Mandy. You could have made a very cosy sound proof box for your pooch and played some music and the fireworks would have been of virtually no impact. While i do have sympathy for pets during fireworks should the minority rule the masses again . Just my opinion and i bet lots of people will disagree with me but new year fireworks are not new , what steps did you take to protect your pooch ?

By *cottishsexgoddessWoman
over a year ago

Glenrothes

"Get a life "

That's a bit harsh. Fireworks are a nightmare for some whether you're a pet owner or have a young family.

By *andj65Couple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Hate them so yes for me...always have...x

By *andj65Couple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Ok.......unless its a totally organised safe as can be public display....other than that not for me....

By *lascumMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Live and let live Mandy. You could have made a very cosy sound proof box for your pooch and played some music and the fireworks would have been of virtually no impact. While i do have sympathy for pets during fireworks should the minority rule the masses again . Just my opinion and i bet lots of people will disagree with me but new year fireworks are not new , what steps did you take to protect your pooch ?"

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Tain

Whilst I enjoy a good bang in the dark,I was left wondering how much last night's display in Edinburgh cost and exactly how long such a spectacular event should last.

But then again, I remember an Edinburgh Hogmanay as pub's shut at 11 and everyone meet at St. Giles.

This extravaganza is very modern and purely to bring in the tourists.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

I think any free thought or deed should be banned the only safe way is to allow the overlords to control us completly

By *ikilovesCCouple
over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

Maybe it's splitting hairs but....

I don't think it's fireworks themselves that are the problem,

it's the ever bigger and louder bangers

Maybe there should be a decibel level limit

over a year ago

"I think any free thought or deed should be banned the only safe way is to allow the overlords to control us completly "

By *mojeeCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

The usual dog owners complaining because their pet doesn't like fireworks. Why should anyone stop what they are doing because someones pet in the next close/street/avenue gets upset. It's a couple of nights per year.

By *mojeeCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Oh and by the way we have a dog

over a year ago

"The usual dog owners complaining because their pet doesn't like fireworks. Why should anyone stop what they are doing because someones pet in the next close/street/avenue gets upset. It's a couple of nights per year. "

If it really was just a couple of nights, that’d fine, but it’s starts as soon as they go on sale and for a couple of weeks after.

They’re not just a nuisance for pet owners: kids, elderly and people with conditions like dementia can get really distressed too.

Upsetting people for the sake of showing off doesn’t sit well with me - I wouldn’t be upset if further restrictions were put on the use of fireworks

By *andy_Fraser OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I'm not gonna comment or reply to all messages, but it was hellish here.

There were still fireworks going on at 3am. The people who did it publically announced on the local Facebook group that they were doing it, and the Police are now involved.

Yea, fireworks aren't new, but it is still a relatively new thing for them to be set off en-masse at New Year, previously you got a couple at organised events, but that was it.

The thing I relate this to most is Dave Gorman's sketch about people being shamed into buying cards for inappropriate events, and that each year they try and do things bigger and better. That's how I see the fireworks situation. This time next year, someone will spend even more money on bigger and louder fireworks.

Which also takes me onto my comment about Silent Fireworks. A town in Italy famously made people use Silent Fireworks only. Those would help so much.

My dog is OK now, he's a little dopey and tired, as when things finally settled down he lay in his normal corner and shook himself to sleep. Like most dogs he is very sensitive to loud noises, and that's what freaks him out the most. The only way to keep him calm is to lay a hand on the back of his neck, and another over his eyes. I can manage that easily, but my girlfriend can't (small hands) so although we take it in shifts comforting the dog, he tends to act up when it's her turn.

He'll be fine until someone decides to let off leftover fireworks, but he'll be very dubious of the dark for the next week or so.

Mandy

over a year ago

Lmao! Oh c'mon its new year...kinda comes hand in hand. Get earmuffs for pooch? Tv up loud? My aunt does that...no hassles

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

I don’t think it makes any difference weather it be a dog or a child with autism suffering from the noise of the fireworks you’d have my sympathy . As things get more Americanised they’ll be bigger and louder next time . It’s the way of things nowadays sadly .

By *elsbells2011Couple
over a year ago

fife

I love fireworks but my dog/ child doesn’t. I have mixed feelings about this because on one hand I want to say fireworks are great and let people have fun but on the other hand it gets a bit tiring when people say it’s only a few nights a year. Where we live and surrounding areas the entire month of November is like a war zone, The old people sheltered housing complex in the next town had trouble with fireworks being set off in the alley way linking all the flats causing distress to old people and their pets, I think there needs to be more regulations on the sale of fireworks to ensure used properly

over a year ago

" The only way to keep him calm is to lay a hand on the back of his neck, and another over his eyes. I can manage that easily, but my girlfriend can't (small hands) so although we take it in shifts comforting the dog, he tends to act up when it's her turn."

Small hands?! Are you sure it's a dog you've got and not a horse?!

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

"Whilst I enjoy a good bang in the dark,I was left wondering how much last night's display in Edinburgh cost and exactly how long such a spectacular event should last.

But then again, I remember an Edinburgh Hogmanay as pub's shut at 11 and everyone meet at St. Giles.

This extravaganza is very modern and purely to bring in the tourists. "

Great !! Im not from anywhere near Edinburgh so dont have any vested interest but if it brings in tourists to scotland / Edinburgh and thats all it does then im happy with that. If thats to the detriment to few nervous pooches then so be it. Now for the controversial part of my point , lots of tvs have supported the OP on thier viewpoint but will tvs stop walking out in public as it may upset people or scare a child or 2 . And cmon it does happen. It doesnt bother me but im guessing the OP wouldnt be happy about people being intolerent of thier rights to do what they enjoy on occasion when they choose . My advice slip on those ear muffs on the kids and pets , turn up the tv/ music a little and chill out guys its only a few days a year.

By *andACouple
over a year ago

glasgow

"Whilst I enjoy a good bang in the dark,I was left wondering how much last night's display in Edinburgh cost and exactly how long such a spectacular event should last.

Great !! Im not from anywhere near Edinburgh so dont have any vested interest but if it brings in tourists to scotland / Edinburgh and thats all it does then im happy with that. If thats to the detriment to few nervous pooches then so be it. Now for the controversial part of my point , lots of tvs have supported the OP on thier viewpoint but will tvs stop walking out in public as it may upset people or scare a child or 2 . And cmon it does happen. It doesnt bother me but im guessing the OP wouldnt be happy about people being intolerent of thier rights to do what they enjoy on occasion when they choose . My advice slip on those ear muffs on the kids and pets , turn up the tv/ music a little and chill out guys its only a few days a year. "

Lots of tv's? I only counted 2 who agreed with them

over a year ago

" The only way to keep him calm is to lay a hand on the back of his neck, and another over his eyes. I can manage that easily, but my girlfriend can't (small hands) so although we take it in shifts comforting the dog, he tends to act up when it's her turn.

Small hands?! Are you sure it's a dog you've got and not a horse?! "

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

Great !! Im not from anywhere near Edinburgh so dont have any vested interest but if it brings in tourists to scotland / Edinburgh and thats all it does then im happy with that. If thats to the detriment to few nervous pooches then so be it. Now for the controversial part of my point , lots of tvs have supported the OP on thier viewpoint but will tvs stop walking out in public as it may upset people or scare a child or 2 . And cmon it does happen. It doesnt bother me but im guessing the OP wouldnt be happy about people being intolerent of thier rights to do what they enjoy on occasion when they choose . My advice slip on those ear muffs on the kids and pets , turn up the tv/ music a little and chill out guys its only a few days a year.

Lots of tv's? I only counted 2 who agreed with them"

Fair enough . But my point was more about everyone being a bit more tolerable to others fun / choices or whatever they enjoy. Within legal boundaries of course. The OP never said if they took ANY steps to lesson the impact of the expected fireworks either it was straight into slagging the people letting them off and the shout about banning them. Ps i was working so never fired any lol. Personally feel its like burning money lol.

By *ocaine and caviarCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

This has got to be the worst thing I've heard in my life hahaha it's like wanting to ban Christmas crackers at dinner time because your dog or child could swallow the shit toys you get in them! It's traditional all over the world and should make you smile and be proud that you've survived another year on the planet, be thankful for life and all the good things not moan about trivial shit

over a year ago

" I kid you not, but it has been like a warzone here since 3 minutes to 12!

I've had enough of reprobates legally blowing things up at times like this. The next MP to promise silent fireworks or a total ban, will get my vote.

Mandy"

How utterly ignorant, inconsiderate and totally selfish.

"Like a warzone"? The reason we can have celebrations like we do at new year is because we don't live in a war zone because we are fortunate enough to be born or live in a country which has the resources and infrastructure to protect us. So we can take to the streets, go to mass gatherings, enjoy life, live and move freely.

So I'd rather live in a country where as you call then, "reprobates" light fireworks a couple of times of year than you know, actually go and blow things and people up.

But as long as your fucking dog's alright, eh...

Unbelievable.

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Tain

"This has got to be the worst thing I've heard in my life hahaha it's like wanting to ban Christmas crackers at dinner time because your dog or child could swallow the shit toys you get in them! It's traditional all over the world and should make you smile and be proud that you've survived another year on the planet, be thankful for life and all the good things not moan about trivial shit "

Pedantic hat on. Fireworks were never traditional in Scotland at Hogmanay.

Our tradition was First Footing.

over a year ago

"This has got to be the worst thing I've heard in my life hahaha it's like wanting to ban Christmas crackers at dinner time because your dog or child could swallow the shit toys you get in them! It's traditional all over the world and should make you smile and be proud that you've survived another year on the planet, be thankful for life and all the good things not moan about trivial shit

Our tradition is First Footing. "

Fixed that for you

A lump of coal and a bottle of whisky

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

"This has got to be the worst thing I've heard in my life hahaha it's like wanting to ban Christmas crackers at dinner time because your dog or child could swallow the shit toys you get in them! It's traditional all over the world and should make you smile and be proud that you've survived another year on the planet, be thankful for life and all the good things not moan about trivial shit

Our tradition is First Footing.

Fixed that for you

A lump of coal and a bottle of whisky "

Yes, though times move on . Lots of people dont even know or want to know thier nieghbours nowadays and this is a way they can celebrate on their own , maybe.

over a year ago

Fixed that for you

Yes, though times move on . Lots of people dont even know or want to know thier nieghbours nowadays and this is a way they can celebrate on their own , maybe. "

And a happy new year to them. It affects me not in the slightest. It's harmless fun a few nights a year. I seem to remember the same discussion round about bonfire night so I guess it'll be a recurring theme

over a year ago

I know dogs hate it but its only a couple of nights a year. It wont be long till they have banned every fun thing anyway

over a year ago

You sat listening to loud bangs that made it soundike a "warzone", luckily you know it is not.

Some hear them and for a split second think it actually is, until they snap back, smile and enjoy the fact they can hear the sound of people having fun and celebrating.

Michael (whom not to long ago was that person).

over a year ago

"Maybe it's splitting hairs but....

I don't think it's fireworks themselves that are the problem,

it's the ever bigger and louder bangers

Maybe there should be a decibel level limit "

Actually there already is a limit - Cat3 (the largest consumer fireworks legally available) have a limit of 120dB - any louder than this and they're cat4 which can't legally be sold to consumers.

Fireworks themselves aren't the problem - inconsiderate users are.

While I sympathize with pet owners who's pets get disturbed by the noise (my own dog hates them) it's a manageable problem as long as the fireworks are used responsibly.

There are restrictions on the sale of fireworks and on their use but enforcement is lax and penalties limited - a little more education and enforcement would not go amiss.

over a year ago

I can’t remember fireworks at new year when I was younger it only seems to be over the last few year that they are getting popular. There should be one big display in each city if people feel it’s neccessary to have them. I nearly had a heart attack before heading to Cjs last night when my neighbour let of big bens out in our communinal back garden without any notice. I was waiting for my windows to go in. I had a moment we’re I thought about all the families who have come into the country from war zones to hear these things without notice they must have been terrified.. I love fireworks but there should be a time and place with notification to all so we all know what to expect.

over a year ago

" I had a moment we’re I thought about all the families who have come into the country from war zones to hear these things without notice they must have been terrified.. I love fireworks but there should be a time and place with notification to all so we all know what to expect. "

Aye, I'm sure any displaced Syrians would have been absolutely terrified last night and immediately thought they were back home.

And if you weren't expecting fireworks, on new year's eve, in Scotland's biggest city, then I'm not sure there's much hope for you.

over a year ago

" I had a moment we’re I thought about all the families who have come into the country from war zones to hear these things without notice they must have been terrified.. I love fireworks but there should be a time and place with notification to all so we all know what to expect.

Aye, I'm sure any displaced Syrians would have been absolutely terrified last night and immediately thought they were back home.

And if you weren't expecting fireworks, on new year's eve, in Scotland's biggest city, then I'm not sure there's much hope for you. "

Fire works isn’t an expectation in Glasgow at new year in residential areas but it’s becoming a regular thing so we are starting to expect them but that’s only been over the last few year. I’m sure in the past it’s only been at organised events at new year.

over a year ago

edinburgh

Fixed that for you

Yes, though times move on . Lots of people dont even know or want to know thier nieghbours nowadays and this is a way they can celebrate on their own , maybe.

And a happy new year to them. It affects me not in the slightest. It's harmless fun a few nights a year. I seem to remember the same discussion round about bonfire night so I guess it'll be a recurring theme "

I remember as a child these were the times we always looked forward to because we got to see our auntie uncles and cousins that we rarely seen and when ya got together it was amazing to hear the sound of fireworks! There's more things that need banned like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram that's where problems lie in today's society

over a year ago

edinburgh

"You sat listening to loud bangs that made it soundike a "warzone", luckily you know it is not.

Some hear them and for a split second think it actually is, until they snap back, smile and enjoy the fact they can hear the sound of people having fun and celebrating.

Michael (whom not to long ago was that person). "

lot of respect for that comment mate as an ex soldier myself hope all is well brother

By *ewnameCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I get it your pet is one of the family and it is horrible to see them in fear, but life goes on and we all need to fit in, give your dog a valium it does work, I know as my dad had greyhounds all my life and they were so highly strung. He used to bring them in the living room ( treat for a working dog ) and get the tv or radio up to semi drown it out. THAT SAID MY DOG IS NUTS AND IF MY WIFE IS AROUND HE TRYS TO ATTACK THE FIREWORKS ( AND I MEAN PULLS YOU OFF YOUR FEET) WITH HIS TAIL WAGGING AND BARKING LIKE A GUARD DOG

By *ellbound75Couple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Yes. Definitely

We’ve been saying the same thing for years now.

It used to be just Guy Fawkes night. Then New Year’s Eve. Now it’s Christmas, birthdays, engagements. And any other occasion to tastefully let the neighbourhood know you have something in your life to celebrate. . . .

And that’s not counting all the wee fart nuggets who just walk around the streets, letting off rockets and bangers at all hours.

Other countries have managed to control it effectively: We were talking to a South African couple (on this site) who said they’d restricted the sale to ‘professionals’ and it’d made a difference.

And let’s face it, parents buy the fireworks to entertain their children, and then get pissed off when the kids are completely underwhelmed from standing in the pissing rain and freezing cold, with a sparkler in their hand, listening to the insincere “oohs” an “ahs” of the adults around them.

Fireworks might have been a big deal back in the dark ages when people thought it was ‘sorcery’ but t doesn’t compete with the entertainment available nowadays.

Anyway. Happy new year muthafippas.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Fireworks are loud I agree ... much louder than they used to be....we have a dog .. my daughter gets an adaptil collar and plug in ....lasts for a few weeks ... usually covers nov/dec/ new year ...we use a natural sedative for dogs on the night ... you need to prepare OP ...WELL IN ADVANCE

By *is vixen at playCouple
over a year ago

Dundee

"Yes. Definitely

We’ve been saying the same thing for years now.

It used to be just Guy Fawkes night. Then New Year’s Eve. Now it’s Christmas, birthdays, engagements. And any other occasion to tastefully let the neighbourhood know you have something in your life to celebrate. . . .

And that’s not counting all the wee fart nuggets who just walk around the streets, letting off rockets and bangers at all hours.

Other countries have managed to control it effectively: We were talking to a South African couple (on this site) who said they’d restricted the sale to ‘professionals’ and it’d made a difference.

And let’s face it, parents buy the fireworks to entertain their children, and then get pissed off when the kids are completely underwhelmed from standing in the pissing rain and freezing cold, with a sparkler in their hand, listening to the insincere “oohs” an “ahs” of the adults around them.

Fireworks might have been a big deal back in the dark ages when people thought it was ‘sorcery’ but t doesn’t compete with the entertainment available nowadays.

Anyway. Happy new year muthafippas. "

Totally agree with this

V

Post new Message to Thread