Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Edinburgh Festive Taxi Prices

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I couldn't believe it when my friend told me his taxi fare was £43 from town to my bit when it's normally around £25.

I understand people have to make a living but that's mental.

If anyone from Midlothian or East Lothian or South of Edinburgh needs lifts overy hogmanay drop me a message I will do it no problem.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *londieddWoman
over a year ago

fife

"I couldn't believe it when my friend told me his taxi fare was £43 from town to my bit when it's normally around £25.

If anyone from Midlothian or East Lothian or South of Edinburgh needs lifts overy hogmanay drop me a message I will do it no problem. "

bit creepy is it not?

over a year ago

"I couldn't believe it when my friend told me his taxi fare was £43 from town to my bit when it's normally around £25.

If anyone from Midlothian or East Lothian or South of Edinburgh needs lifts overy hogmanay drop me a message I will do it no problem.

bit creepy is it not?"

No just be kind sorry if it offended you!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Its a bloody piss take how much they charge glad I'm staying in!

By *ister1Man
over a year ago

north west

Heading up to Edinburgh in the morning was thinking about a taxi from the station to the hotel at that price I might just walk

over a year ago

£23 xmas day from Bonnyrigg to Dalkeith

By *uriousCouple999Couple
over a year ago

edinburgh

It's one of the reasons we don't go far on new year D

over a year ago

"Heading up to Edinburgh in the morning was thinking about a taxi from the station to the hotel at that price I might just walk "

You will be fine before 6pm

By *ister1Man
over a year ago

north west

"Heading up to Edinburgh in the morning was thinking about a taxi from the station to the hotel at that price I might just walk

You will be fine before 6pm "

Any taxis you recommend ? Thanks

over a year ago

"Heading up to Edinburgh in the morning was thinking about a taxi from the station to the hotel at that price I might just walk

Any taxis you recommend ? Thanks "

Get one out side station no problem

over a year ago

We normally pay £45 for a taxi from town, the joys of staying in East Lothian

over a year ago

I'll need to get a taxi home when I get back to Glasgow on Monday. God knows how much that is going to cost me lol x

over a year ago

I once had to get a taxi from linlithgow to bo'ness, which is 3 miles and that cost me 20 quid one year

It a joke what ALL taxi companies charge these days...

By *agnoliax2Couple
over a year ago

wishaw

It’s a wee bonus for us guys this time of year,obviously if deemed to pricey I suggest pre arranging alternative arrangements as I do understand it adds ££ to any night

over a year ago

Now you mention how much it is for 1 down there i now wonder how much it would be for me to get back from nearest City ( Aberdeen ) as there expensive most off the time compared to the central belt

By *londieddWoman
over a year ago

fife

Get one out side station no problem "

why are you not offering lister a lift? or is it just ladies you want to help?

over a year ago

why are you not offering lister a lift? or is it just ladies you want to help?"

Because I'd have to drive all the way to Edinburgh to take him 5 min's round the corner probably

By *londieddWoman
over a year ago

fife

Because I'd have to drive all the way to Edinburgh to take him 5 min's round the corner probably "

bit of festive good will?

By *ister1Man
over a year ago

north west

Because I'd have to drive all the way to Edinburgh to take him 5 min's round the corner probably "

Looking forward to new year celebrations

Taxi not an issue -I will walk ,want to buy some whisky anyway

Thanks guys

over a year ago

You will be fine before 6pm "

ffs, at xmas or new years the hackneys charge an extra half on top of price inside the boundary. If going outside their boundary they can charge what they want but they MUST tell you price beforehand.

If you know the law what a taxi can and cant do, including private hire then you wont be over charged

By *londieddWoman
over a year ago

fife

ffs, at xmas or new years the hackneys charge an extra half on top of price inside the boundary. If going outside their boundary they can charge what they want but they MUST tell you price beforehand.

If you know the law what a taxi can and cant do, including private hire then you wont be over charged

"

Fife council set fares here double Christmas and New year day stage and half boxing and 2 Jan

over a year ago

Fife council set fares here double Christmas and New year day stage and half boxing and 2 Jan"

All councils are different, some will be double, some maybe half or even a third on top

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

South lanarkshire taxis are meter + 1/3 ...while I know a lot of people think we'really taking the piss with the fares ask yourself 1 thing ...if your boss asked you to work Xmas day or new years day what rate you'd expect to be paid ..bet you wouldn't do it for an extra 1/3..itd be at least double or treble time

By *hebs maloneyWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's going to be a nightmare getting home tomorrow night

over a year ago

£21 from North Bridge to Fettes College/Pilton. No usual 20% Capital Cars discount. Don't do it!

over a year ago

"South lanarkshire taxis are meter + 1/3 ...while I know a lot of people think we'really taking the piss with the fares ask yourself 1 thing ...if your boss asked you to work Xmas day or new years day what rate you'd expect to be paid ..bet you wouldn't do it for an extra 1/3..itd be at least double or treble time "

Exactly, the people who moan about the prices should get a grip.

its government owned and all taxis are license, even private hire must set limits to their fares

By *onderful 13Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh/Dunfermline

UBER.

The secret private hire firm. Download the app and use them around the city...they’re about half the price of Hackney, and cheaper than other ph companies. Just watch out for their occasional ‘surge pricing’... that adds to price, but generally they are the bargain company in both edinburgh and Glasgow..... and quite easy to get hold of.

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

"UBER.

The secret private hire firm. Download the app and use them around the city...they’re about half the price of Hackney, and cheaper than other ph companies. Just watch out for their occasional ‘surge pricing’... that adds to price, but generally they are the bargain company in both edinburgh and Glasgow..... and quite easy to get hold of. "

Good luck with that ..their surge prices are a disgrace and no doubt will be on right through the new year

By *ittle DancerWoman
over a year ago

Leslie, Glenrothes

"UBER.

The secret private hire firm. Download the app and use them around the city...they’re about half the price of Hackney, and cheaper than other ph companies. Just watch out for their occasional ‘surge pricing’... that adds to price, but generally they are the bargain company in both edinburgh and Glasgow..... and quite easy to get hold of. "

There’s some rather dishy Uber drivers in Edinburgh too

over a year ago

"UBER.

The secret private hire firm. Download the app and use them around the city...they’re about half the price of Hackney, and cheaper than other ph companies. Just watch out for their occasional ‘surge pricing’... that adds to price, but generally they are the bargain company in both edinburgh and Glasgow..... and quite easy to get hold of.

There’s some rather dishy Uber drivers in Edinburgh too"

Deffo after last night

over a year ago

We were through in Edinburgh for the bells in 99. It was a kinda last minute thing with no arrangements made for getting home after it all ended. We ended up getting a t.o.a. back to Hamilton but had to give the driver £200 before he'd even move. Rip off fuckers

over a year ago

"We were through in Edinburgh for the bells in 99. It was a kinda last minute thing with no arrangements made for getting home after it all ended. We ended up getting a t.o.a. back to Hamilton but had to give the driver £200 before he'd even move. Rip off fuckers "

You didn't get ripped off ffs

He told you price beforehand , yiu could have went elsewhere and if he was genuine taxi he could have made more in the city by time he took you to Hamilton and then he made his way back

over a year ago

"We were through in Edinburgh for the bells in 99. It was a kinda last minute thing with no arrangements made for getting home after it all ended. We ended up getting a t.o.a. back to Hamilton but had to give the driver £200 before he'd even move. Rip off fuckers

He told you price beforehand , yiu could have went elsewhere and if he was genuine taxi he could have made more in the city by time he took you to Hamilton and then he made his way back"

We did get ripped off. Just because he told us the price beforehand doesn't make it less of a rip off.

By *atindollTV/TS
over a year ago

edinburgh

Most people I meet are just happy to get home safe,they usually add a healthy tip too,lot of tight miserable cunts on here.

By *londieddWoman
over a year ago

fife

"UBER.

they treat their drivers like shite, zero hour contracts etc, and under cutting other taxis I would never use them

By *appyDeviantsCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I certainly wouldn't work over the Christmas period for my normal rate ,why should taxi drivers

By *illy7239Man
over a year ago

Stenhousemuir

WhT a lot of you are forgetting is the taxi driver may have been sitting waiting in the rank for an hour then gets a £15 hire say that takes him 20 mins to get there and 20 mins to get back then an other hour in the rank before he gets an other hire

That means that for 2 hours and 40 mins the driver has made £15.

On top of that he has fuel and running costs that come out his pocket.

So realistically he's lucky if he is making £5 an hour how many of you moaning cnuts would work through the night on Christmas eve or hogmanay for that ???????.

By the way in not a taxi driver

By *atsnTitsCouple
over a year ago

Land Of Naughtiness

We need to get a taxi tonight or a venga bus so we can both drink

over a year ago

Happy to take people into town but want to park up and get trashed myself lol

By *atsnTitsCouple
over a year ago

Land Of Naughtiness

"Happy to take people into town but want to park up and get trashed myself lol"

Well ur no gonna make a great taxi driver the night if ur getting trashed pmsl

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

"UBER.

they treat their drivers like shite, zero hour contracts etc, and under cutting other taxis I would never use them"

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

"We were through in Edinburgh for the bells in 99. It was a kinda last minute thing with no arrangements made for getting home after it all ended. We ended up getting a t.o.a. back to Hamilton but had to give the driver £200 before he'd even move. Rip off fuckers

He told you price beforehand , yiu could have went elsewhere and if he was genuine taxi he could have made more in the city by time he took you to Hamilton and then he made his way back

We did get ripped off. Just because he told us the price beforehand doesn't make it less of a rip off."

Facts on taXi fares ...if taxi is staying within his licenced zone he is regulated as to how much he can charge ..if taxi is going out of his area ..the fare is by agreement ..driver will give you the cost it's up to you whether accept and agree or go to next driver in rank and see how much they will charge ...or better still phone a company and order your taxi and get a quote instead of going to a rank

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

If anyone from Midlothian or East Lothian or South of Edinburgh needs lifts overy hogmanay drop me a message I will do it no problem. "

Word of warning ...if you pick anyone up and charge anything you can be done for pirating and your insurance will be nul and void as normal car insurance does not cover hire and reward

over a year ago

"Happy to take people into town but want to park up and get trashed myself lol

Well ur no gonna make a great taxi driver the night if ur getting trashed pmsl "

over a year ago

"WhT a lot of you are forgetting is the taxi driver may have been sitting waiting in the rank for an hour then gets a £15 hire say that takes him 20 mins to get there and 20 mins to get back then an other hour in the rank before he gets an other hire

So realistically he's lucky if he is making £5 an hour how many of you moaning cnuts would work through the night on Christmas eve or hogmanay for that ???????.

"

While i agree that taxi drivers should get more over the holiday period ... you are massively kidding yourself on if you think they will be sat in a rank for an hour over the holiday season or that they will only make £15 for a 20 minute journey

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

Oh, look at the central belt folk boasting about having taxis!

over a year ago

"Oh, look at the central belt folk boasting about having taxis!

"

Over 3000 in Edinburgh alone including private hire

By *illy7239Man
over a year ago

Stenhousemuir

"WhT a lot of you are forgetting is the taxi driver may have been sitting waiting in the rank for an hour then gets a £15 hire say that takes him 20 mins to get there and 20 mins to get back then an other hour in the rank before he gets an other hire

While i agree that taxi drivers should get more over the holiday period ... you are massively kidding yourself on if you think they will be sat in a rank for an hour over the holiday season or that they will only make £15 for a 20 minute journey "

Maybe so I was only giving an example

Lots of people forget the taxi has to go back from dropping you off then wait on his next hire they have repair bills to pay, fuel, tax and insurance it's not like the money he gets for a hire goes straight in his pocket and is all profit

I think these guys and girls should get extra especially over the holidays. It's mostly unsociable hours they have to work to make money and put up with a lot of shit from d*unks.

I certainly wouldn't do there job for the money they make

Plus what cost do you put on getting into a nice warm car to get you or your son's or daughters home safe at stupid oclock.

By *onderful 13Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh/Dunfermline

Speaking as a part time private hire driver, many of you make valid points, but it’s a business of supply and demand. In quiet times a driver makes precious little, and in the busiest times (like tonight) he’ll probably make as much in a night as in 3 normal nights.

I’m giving up my New Year’s Eve tonight in order to work, as I know that there will be slim pickings in January.

I don’t happen to agree with rip off fares, but a premium on New Year’s Eve at 3 am is perfectly acceptable in my eyes.

By *illy7239Man
over a year ago

Stenhousemuir

"Speaking as a part time private hire driver, many of you make valid points, but it’s a business of supply and demand. In quiet times a driver makes precious little, and in the busiest times (like tonight) he’ll probably make as much in a night as in 3 normal nights.

I’m giving up my New Year’s Eve tonight in order to work, as I know that there will be slim pickings in January.

I don’t happen to agree with rip off fares, but a premium on New Year’s Eve at 3 am is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. "

over a year ago

While i agree that taxi drivers should get more over the holiday period ... you are massively kidding yourself on if you think they will be sat in a rank for an hour over the holiday season or that they will only make £15 for a 20 minute journey

Maybe so I was only giving an example

Lots of people forget the taxi has to go back from dropping you off then wait on his next hire they have repair bills to pay, fuel, tax and insurance it's not like the money he gets for a hire goes straight in his pocket and is all profit

I think these guys and girls should get extra especially over the holidays. It's mostly unsociable hours they have to work to make money and put up with a lot of shit from d*unks.

I certainly wouldn't do there job for the money they make

Plus what cost do you put on getting into a nice warm car to get you or your son's or daughters home safe at stupid oclock."

I am not disagreeing with the sentiment

100% they deserve a higher rate for working those hours

I dont grudge it in the slightest because like you said its whats getting me home comfortable and warm

I also completely get all the costs they have to pay out

I was only disagreeing with the values you put on it as i think for nye etc it was massively underestimated but like that taxi driver above me had posted they give up their holiday for those high fairs which they deserve because it will be slim pickings in january

over a year ago

I had to phone my local taxi firm today when I got to Glasgow from Edinburgh. It normally costs me about £15 from the city centre but today I paid £22 odds. Did I mind? No and when I gave the driver £25 I told him to keep the change. Moral is as long as I get home safe, I will pay it x

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

"Speaking as a part time private hire driver, many of you make valid points, but it’s a business of supply and demand. In quiet times a driver makes precious little, and in the busiest times (like tonight) he’ll probably make as much in a night as in 3 normal nights.

I don’t happen to agree with rip off fares, but a premium on New Year’s Eve at 3 am is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. "

Oh please !! A skint taxi driver ? Casinos are chock full of "Skint" taxi drivers taking time out thier shifts to play poker tournaments every other night. Think you been on the sauce tonight bud lol dont be driving that taxi tonight.

By *onderful 13Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh/Dunfermline

Interesting comment. Very ill informed in my case on all levels. It’s not healthy to generalise.

By *ill-Ian KissesCouple
over a year ago

Somewhere over there

Two years running I’ve elected to drive home at New Years.

We sometimes get taxis back from Cjs and it can cost £17-£25 deepening which firm we use. For me, it’s more about the wait for one as well as cost at New Year.

I’d rather enjoy more time socialising, then jump in car and drive home. I alternate nights when I drink at Cjs so I’m not left out and just bring something nicer than Coke Cola (Eg Schloer it Appletiser.

As it was, arrived at Cjs about 10.00pm and left 6.30am so a great night!

M x

Post new Message to Thread