Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Sexual Orientation

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

As a species do you think our sexual orientation is a genetic predisposition or are our sexual preferences influenced by our environment and experiences? Has your own sexual orientation remain unchanged or has it become more fluid as you have aged? Have gender definitions become ridiculous i.e. either male or female or should there be (as has recently become the case in Germany) a 3rd gender?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Personally I think it’s gone a bit far now, but each to their own I guess

over a year ago

"Personally I think it’s gone a bit far now, but each to their own I guess"

So you are of the “you are either male or female” school of thought?

over a year ago

Good thought provoking post for a Sunday morning.

It's got to be a combination I think, genetically to begin with as those who don't conform to what was known as the "norm" mostly say they knew from a young age they were different.

Environment plays a part however too, we can be easily influenced by others and whats wrong with trying new things?

As for a 3rd gender, I personally don't think its going too far. Look at how much more advanced we are from 50 years ago when it was still illegal to be gay.

Just my early thoughts on your post but I will look on at others opinions with interest.

over a year ago

"Good thought provoking post for a Sunday morning.

It's got to be a combination I think, genetically to begin with as those who don't conform to what was known as the "norm" mostly say they knew from a young age they were different.

Environment plays a part however too, we can be easily influenced by others and whats wrong with trying new things?

As for a 3rd gender, I personally don't think its going too far. Look at how much more advanced we are from 50 years ago when it was still illegal to be gay.

Just my early thoughts on your post but I will look on at others opinions with interest. "

Definitely agree with it being a combination of factors, being born of a particular sexual orientation then family and societal interactions nurturing (or sadly in some instances supressing) those preferences.

Its whether or not, given what in my opinion is a perceptible shift towards becoming a less tolerant society, the strides that we have taken in recent decades towards becoming more inclusive start being “reversed”.

over a year ago

I think your either straight as straight can be

Any thought of being with your same sex gives you the boak

Or..your bi or gay

Simple

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

A person's biological birth gender is set in stone. .

I'm not against anyone living a life outside of their birth gender but nothing can change the basic fact, you are what you are born.

Any changes can only be (for want of a better expression) cosmetic.

I stand to be corrected on any of my points

over a year ago

"A person's biological birth gender is set in stone. .

I'm not against anyone living a life outside of their birth gender but nothing can change the basic fact, you are what you are born.

"

So what about transexuals (male or female) who are born in what they feel is the wrong body?

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"

gender is unchangable without major intervention by science sexual orientation is for some fluid and ever changing.

over a year ago

gender is unchangable without major intervention by science sexual orientation is for some fluid and ever changing."

So you dont think that a person can be born physically of a set gender but psychologically and emotionally identify as being of the opposite?

By *uzzy-LogicMan
over a year ago

Fochabers

I think sexual orientation is a sliding scale and labels can be limiting. I think it's a genetics but that environment and upbringing has an infulance on embracing yourself and your feelings.

As far as gender goes I would say that now we are beyond the binary male or female but some people need to catch up and welcome more fluid genders.

On that note fab as a site lumping cd,tv and ts is not great. I have chatted with people and they find it hard as a transexual doesn't feel that they are the same as a crossdresser and vise versa.

over a year ago

"On that note fab as a site lumping cd,tv and ts is not great. I have chatted with people and they find it hard as a transexual doesn't feel that they are the same as a crossdresser and vise versa.

"

Agree wholeheartedly. My interpretation/understanding of that would be that transexuals relates to specific gender whereas transvestite is specific to orientation

By *yldstyleWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

The Kinsey scale has a lot of merit and I believe we all move up or down the scale at different points in life. That may be the environment, social interactions, genetics, bringing, beliefs. Sometimes though it may just be in certain situations. I think its perfectly healthy and we should all embrace it. Sadly theres so many people and society in general who have a need for labels. They are hung up on them. Perhaps this is because it makes them feel they understand themselves better by putting everyone/ everything in a clearly defined box.

For me, its much more about exploring and acceptance. If its consensual, legal, safe and feels good then the rest isn't worth worrying about.

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

So what about transexuals (male or female) who are born in what they feel is the wrong body?"

yes they FEEL they are in the wrong body, fair comment, but whatever they do to change the fact remains, they are still what they were born . . their lifestyle changes, their biological make up doesn't.

A third gender is a psychological state not a biological one.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

gender is unchangable without major intervention by science sexual orientation is for some fluid and ever changing.

So you dont think that a person can be born physically of a set gender but psychologically and emotionally identify as being of the opposite?"

thats not what ive written your gender has zero input on your psycology its simply what gender you are even if born with both genetalia biologically one is the dominant.

over a year ago

"The Kinsey scale has a lot of merit and I believe we all move up or down the scale at different points in life. That may be the environment, social interactions, genetics, bringing, beliefs. Sometimes though it may just be in certain situations. I think its perfectly healthy and we should all embrace it. Sadly theres so many people and society in general who have a need for labels. They are hung up on them. Perhaps this is because it makes them feel they understand themselves better by putting everyone/ everything in a clearly defined box.

For me, its much more about exploring and acceptance. If its consensual, legal, safe and feels good then the rest isn't worth worrying about. "

It has been argued that a “taxonic,” or categorical, model is better suited for describing sexual orientation than a continuum model like the Kinsey scale. This model theorised that sexuality isn’t a sliding scale so much as it is a complicated multiple choice question.

By *yldstyleWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

"The Kinsey scale has a lot of merit and I believe we all move up or down the scale at different points in life. That may be the environment, social interactions, genetics, bringing, beliefs. Sometimes though it may just be in certain situations. I think its perfectly healthy and we should all embrace it. Sadly theres so many people and society in general who have a need for labels. They are hung up on them. Perhaps this is because it makes them feel they understand themselves better by putting everyone/ everything in a clearly defined box.

For me, its much more about exploring and acceptance. If its consensual, legal, safe and feels good then the rest isn't worth worrying about.

It has been argued that a “taxonic,” or categorical, model is better suited for describing sexual orientation than a continuum model like the Kinsey scale. This model theorised that sexuality isn’t a sliding scale so much as it is a complicated multiple choice question."

I think both are an interesting basis for understanding, people evolve and change through time so all of these theories have their limits and new ones emerge.

over a year ago

It has been argued that a “taxonic,” or categorical, model is better suited for describing sexual orientation than a continuum model like the Kinsey scale. This model theorised that sexuality isn’t a sliding scale so much as it is a complicated multiple choice question.I think both are an interesting basis for understanding, people evolve and change through time so all of these theories have their limits and new ones emerge. "

over a year ago

Medically gender is considers psychological - assesssmts made in relation to transgender status are or this nature. How you feel, how you identify is a mental state - it is not biological

Your sex - ie genitalia - is biological. And as there are animals that can change their sex in relation to want or circumstance I see no reason why the same logic can not be applied to humans (so your sex is not determined by how you’re born)

As for sexuality; it’s different for different people

Some people are born gay but aren’t honest about it (maybe environment and circumstance), they may be gay and the environment means they never explore beyond this - or it may mean it does

We assume ‘straight’ as the norm so it’s hard to see where environment influences anything different - rather it may enable experimentation and willingness But it won’t shape the person

I believe your sexual preference is at your core, what is changing is societies acceptance and therefore allows people more freedom to be who they are - it doesn’t in itself make them that way

over a year ago

We are all sexual beings. Whoever invented the words bi or gay were morons

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"We are all sexual beings. Whoever invented the words bi or gay were morons"
it always suprises me when folk say this.

they are nothing more than discriptive words that help people identify if they have common traits they may persue together or if completly incompatible.

If you take offence at these words when not spoken derogatory is that not you at fault rather than the words or the speaker

over a year ago

"Personally I think it’s gone a bit far now, but each to their own I guess

So you are of the “you are either male or female” school of thought? "

I am, I have no issues at all with someone being born male and deciding to go through the journey of switching to female and vice versa. If you feel the need to switch genders that’s totally fine, but with this ‘neither male or female’ nonsense it’s becoming a bit too much, well for me anyway.

Human beings are male and female, but hey that’s just my personal opinion. It’s 2017, freedom of thought allows us all to take our own views.

over a year ago

Making the transition from one gender to another must be one of the most difficult things anyone can go through. I fully applaud anyone brave enough to even just identify that they need to make the transition let alone do it. Brave brave thing to do!

By *ithardscotMan
over a year ago

Kelty

"As a species do you think our sexual orientation is a genetic predisposition or are our sexual preferences influenced by our environment and experiences? Has your own sexual orientation remain unchanged or has it become more fluid as you have aged? Have gender definitions become ridiculous i.e. either male or female or should there be (as has recently become the case in Germany) a 3rd gender?"

My sexual orientation varies, sometimes I am lying down, others I'm standing up!

over a year ago

Sexual orientation is not linked to gender which is not linked to sex. For the most part they happen to coincide enough to facilitate the "go forth and multiply" but that's purely survival of the species.

In an overly simplistic - Classification of Animal Kingdom - level of abstraction:-

Orientation; who turns me on.

Gender; who I identify as.

Sex; what was decided/created in my dad's ball sack before he even got horny that time.

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

This debate always becomes complicated when you try to discuss two separate issues at the same time.

Gender and sexuality are completely different aspects.

Neither are fixed.

Gender is not as simple as male or female, medically babies are born every year where the parents have to make the difficult decision as which gender the child should be raised.

over a year ago

"As a species do you think our sexual orientation is a genetic predisposition or are our sexual preferences influenced by our environment and experiences? Has your own sexual orientation remain unchanged or has it become more fluid as you have aged? Have gender definitions become ridiculous i.e. either male or female or should there be (as has recently become the case in Germany) a 3rd gender?"

Can of worms opened but im my opinion sexual orintation is a choice. Why have a closed mind towards other posibiltys. Genetic orientation has nothing to do with how you feel sexual or what turns you on. However just like racisim there are certin factors decreed by behavior and the enviroment your brought up in.

Post new Message to Thread