Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Football: Strachan was right

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It appears Gordon Strachan was right when he said it's genetics that make us unsuccessful.

It is genetics, to paraphrase Elaine c Smith we have a gene that makes us diddys.

(Just watching the best club side in Scotland being treated like training cones by Bayern) (no I'm not a Celtic supporter).

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Dear friend both if those teams are made up nationals of a number of countries, therefore your argument about Scots doesnt apply.

What you are seeing though is the direct result of UEFAs policy of support the big euro league clubs to help make them richer and move further away from the general countries of europe.

I am a Celtic supporter however wether it be Celtic Aberdeen or the Rangers the story would be the same.

Until the wealth is shared more even and the Man Citys or PSGs of this world are curtailed the game will be based around hard cash.

By *bi_scotlandTV/TS
over a year ago

Glasgow

"It appears Gordon Strachan was right when he said it's genetics that make us unsuccessful.

It is genetics, to paraphrase Elaine c Smith we have a gene that makes us diddys.

(Just watching the best club side in Scotland being treated like training cones by Bayern) (no I'm not a Celtic supporter)."

Strachan was talking about the size of Scottish players but that doesn't really apply the same in club football where teams can buy players from other countries. I had a quick look at the BBC and I think more than half the Celtic team are foreigners.

By *azzle DazzleCouple
over a year ago

strathaven

"Dear friend both if those teams are made up nationals of a number of countries, therefore your argument about Scots doesnt apply.

What you are seeing though is the direct result of UEFAs policy of support the big euro league clubs to help make them richer and move further away from the general countries of europe.

I am a Celtic supporter however wether it be Celtic Aberdeen or the Rangers the story would be the same.

Until the wealth is shared more even and the Man Citys or PSGs of this world are curtailed the game will be based around hard cash.

"

By *azzle DazzleCouple
over a year ago

strathaven

"It appears Gordon Strachan was right when he said it's genetics that make us unsuccessful.

(Just watching the best club side in Scotland being treated like training cones by Bayern) (no I'm not a Celtic supporter)."

You must support that WEE team from Govan.

over a year ago

Brilliant how fans of the bigot brothers assume there are no other supporters in Scotland.

I was trying to bring a bit of humour to the situation.

(FYI I have been a supporter of the mighty Motherwell for 40 years)

By *auradCouple
over a year ago

glasgow

"

)"

As the fan of a Scottish diddy team this is a bit hypocritical to hear from a fan of either side of the old firm who’s mission over several decades was to squeeze as much cash out of the Scottish game as possible at the expense of all other Scottish clubs preventing any possible competition.

over a year ago

"

As the fan of a Scottish diddy team this is a bit hypocritical to hear from a fan of either side of the old firm who’s mission over several decades was to squeeze as much cash out of the Scottish game as possible at the expense of all other Scottish clubs preventing any possible competition. "

Totally right, in the days when the old firm were finishing in the top two every year the spfl money was distributed 80% to the first two 20% between the rest.

By *anarkshirelassCouple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

(Just watching the best club side in Scotland being treated like training cones by Bayern) (no I'm not a Celtic supporter).You must support that WEE team from Govan.

"

You really shouldn't assume. Bit of a fail there.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

sellic got pumped. end of.

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

"

)

As the fan of a Scottish diddy team this is a bit hypocritical to hear from a fan of either side of the old firm who’s mission over several decades was to squeeze as much cash out of the Scottish game as possible at the expense of all other Scottish clubs preventing any possible competition. "

dont k ow if thats quite correct as the bigger supported clubs have always turned up at away matches and put money in the smaller clubs coffers...hence why they went to a 2 home and 2 away league per season

over a year ago

The very same Bayern side that got torn apart easily by PSG. Got absolutely nothin to do with Celtic, Scotland or Strachan.

By *auradCouple
over a year ago

glasgow

"

dont k ow if thats quite correct as the bigger supported clubs have always turned up at away matches and put money in the smaller clubs coffers...hence why they went to a 2 home and 2 away league per season "

I was talking in the same terms as you were, big bad powerful clubs hoovering up prize money, TV money etc in an unfair split, adding to the money put in by wealthy backers that is ultimately unsustainable. Then looking to gerrymander competitions to ensure a clique get to the latter stages of the competitions year after year.

The crowds from the old firm in recent years are pretty insignificant. Indeed the highest crowd at my teams stadium in 10 years didn’t involve either side of the old firm.

over a year ago

"Dear friend both if those teams are made up nationals of a number of countries, therefore your argument about Scots doesnt apply.

"

Well said that man.Give football back to the fans!! As for any Rangers fans gloating.....f@&k off your club died!!

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

"

dont k ow if thats quite correct as the bigger supported clubs have always turned up at away matches and put money in the smaller clubs coffers...hence why they went to a 2 home and 2 away league per season

I was talking in the same terms as you were, big bad powerful clubs hoovering up prize money, TV money etc in an unfair split, adding to the money put in by wealthy backers that is ultimately unsustainable. Then looking to gerrymander competitions to ensure a clique get to the latter stages of the competitions year after year.

The crowds from the old firm in recent years are pretty insignificant. Indeed the highest crowd at my teams stadium in 10 years didn’t involve either side of the old firm. "

you also forget that Scottish Football will getva cheque for 1 million tomorrow to be shared by the other clubs because of celtic.

Listen I support a smaller club Morton....I get it though my piont is every country has big and small clubs every country tries to share the extra wealth to keep the small clubs going. However with UEFA now co trolling this we are seeing clubs with no fan base playing well above their station.

cmon the Ton

By *auradCouple
over a year ago

glasgow

"

you also forget that Scottish Football will getva cheque for 1 million tomorrow to be shared by the other clubs because of celtic.

Listen I support a smaller club Morton....

cmon the Ton "

I don’t think I’ve forgotten anything at all. Your point was big clubs with loads of money engineering the competition to suit themselves. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy in old firm fans getting annoyed by this.

Perhaps the OF fans should have a ‘big’ European team and their small Scottish team. After all you have already confessed to supporting both Celtic and Morton.

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

"

Listen I support a smaller club Morton....

cmon the Ton

I don’t think I’ve forgotten anything at all. Your point was big clubs with loads of money engineering the competition to suit themselves. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy in old firm fans getting annoyed by this.

Perhaps the OF fans should have a ‘big’ European team and their small Scottish team. After all you have already confessed to supporting both Celtic and Morton. "

Works for me lol

over a year ago

"

The crowds from the old firm in recent years are pretty insignificant. Indeed the highest crowd at my teams stadium in 10 years didn’t involve either side of the old firm.

Listen I support a smaller club Morton....I get it though my piont is every country has big and small clubs every country tries to share the extra wealth to keep the small clubs going. However with UEFA now co trolling this we are seeing clubs with no fan base playing well above their station.

cmon the Ton "

Its actually 4million nearlly 4hundred thousand each that money will help to keep these teams in business

over a year ago

I yearn for the days when football was an even playing field, when Dundee Utd and Aberdeen could win the Scottish League and Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa could win the European Cup. Regretably football is all about cash now, there is a definite chasm between the have and the have nots.

I also have every sympathy with the provincial Scottish clubs bitching about the dominance of the Glasgow clubs (there is no Old Firm it ceased to be when Rangwrs were liquidated). All I can say is....come out and support your local teams in the numbers (proportionally) that the aforementioned teams do and things might change. Case of put up or shut up!!

over a year ago

Chomp, chomp, and they continue to bite.

I really was just trying to inject a bit of humour with my original post.

over a year ago

"Chomp, chomp, and they continue to bite.

I really was just trying to inject a bit of humour with my original post."

Why would you want ppl to bite seems a bit childish really

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

" I had a quick look at the BBC and I think more than half the Celtic team are foreigners."

Probably right here. To many foreigners.

They should have restricted it to 4 or 5 in the whole team YEARS ago.

The ‘67 Celtic team all lived/brought up within like several miles of the stadium

If the ‘67 team were all in there prime (and all still alive) they would destroy the current team

over a year ago

Celtic started with 5 Scots, one was a 6ft plus goalie. Sorry , but you are comparing 2 different things .

over a year ago

When Scott brown is your best midfielder you'll always be shit, nothing to do with genetics

over a year ago

As a Hibs fan all I can say is bring on the Celtic on Saturday !!! GGTTH????????

Christine xx

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

"As a Hibs fan all I can say is bring on the Celtic on Saturday !!! GGTTH????????

Christine xx "

Well said christine. Not the bring on celtic part, i mean having the cahoonies to admit your a hibs fan lol. Better getting all young people into rugby, stuff overpriced pansy football players that are in most premier clubs. With rugby even bitter rivals like England v Scotland the fans will still mingle after a game and take the piss out each other but not resort to trying to kill one another.

By *gowguy89Man
over a year ago

glasgow

"As a Hibs fan all I can say is bring on the Celtic on Saturday !!! GGTTH????????

Christine xx "

Don't get too confident Christine

over a year ago

GENETICS

Lionel Messi is supposedly the greatest player on the planet as was his fellow countryman Maradona in years gone by. Neither were at the front of the genetic queue but amazing players

Scotland in years gone by had players like Billy Bremner, Jimmy Johnstone, Willie Henderson, Joe Harper, even Gordon Strachan. Not in Messi's class but a damn sight better than what we have today

Take RUGBY for instance

15 giants in white against 15 midgets in black The All Blacks win every time WHY definitely not genetic. They play as a TEAM am deathly play for each other.

We don't have that here in Scottish football after all the men on the park are the same as the men in the stands nuckle dragging neanderthals still stuck in 17th Century Irish politics.

The rest of the country don't help winding the other two up

I played football back in the 70/80's and got out for a simple reason and it is still relevant in the game today

over a year ago

when it comes to football, im lost, not a sport ive ever been interested in

motorcycle racing, now that's a different ball game all together

over a year ago

"when it comes to football, im lost, not a sport ive ever been interested in

motorcycle racing, now that's a different ball game all together "

Now we are talking

By *muirMan
over a year ago

motherwell

Strachan's an arse he's full of shit, their was better player on the bench the night Scotland went out

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

motorcycle racing, now that's a different ball game all together "

Didn’t know motorcycle racing was a “ ball game “ ?

By *icklybitMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

The Dutch are considered the tallest men on the planet, they also failed to qualify for the World Cup.

Genetics will play a small part, however hard work, talent and development of that talent will be more important in developing a better national team.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/10/17 18:01:44]

over a year ago

Would everyone remember there is only 1 Scottish team ( Did i mention only ONE) left in Europe and i am proud to say i support them and have done so for a long time through thick and thin .Hail Hail

By *exicolaMan
over a year ago

West Lothian

Strachan is one to talk about genetics. He's a walking Scottish stereotype.

By *anarkshirelassCouple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

"Would everyone remember there is only 1 Scottish team ( Did i mention only ONE) left in Europe and i am proud to say i support them and have done so for a long time through thick and thin .Hail Hail "

Don't see the significance of the (DID I mention only ONE.)Don't think there's anyone who follows Scottish football who doesn't already know that.

By *exicolaMan
over a year ago

West Lothian

"Would everyone remember there is only 1 Scottish team ( Did i mention only ONE) left in Europe and i am proud to say i support them and have done so for a long time through thick and thin .Hail Hail "

They're really doing the nation proud. Off the park and on

By *muirMan
over a year ago

motherwell

[Removed by poster at 19/10/17 18:30:52]

By *muirMan
over a year ago

motherwell

"Would everyone remember there is only 1 Scottish team ( Did i mention only ONE) left in Europe and i am proud to say i support them and have done so for a long time through thick and thin .Hail Hail

"

Lol they looked absolutely clueless last night against a team that PSG took 3 from 2 weeks ago hole team looked terrible

over a year ago

"Would everyone remember there is only 1 Scottish team ( Did i mention only ONE) left in Europe and i am proud to say i support them and have done so for a long time through thick and thin .Hail Hail

Lol they looked absolutely clueless last night against a team that PSG took 3 from 2 weeks ago hole team looked terrible "

I totally agree with you there but still doesn't take away from the fact that we are still in europe and those european nights grace that magnificent place called Paradise to some

over a year ago

motorcycle racing, now that's a different ball game all together

Didn’t know motorcycle racing was a “ ball game “ ? "

indeed it is, you sit on two right round the track

over a year ago

Christine xx "

over a year ago

Strachan invalidated his own point seconds after making it. Scotland are 2nd from bottom on the list when it comes to height of squad etc in the whole of Europe. Who’s bottom? Spain.....fucking Spain

Spain have done just fine with all those short supposedly genetically challenged players, the problem is technical ability thats it nothing more nothing less when it comes to international footy.

Club footy as other have already stated is all about cash. Top teams have it Celtic do not & never will while they remain in the SPL (a league they will likely never leave tbh)

Post new Message to Thread