Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Scotland football team embarressment

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A lot of upset & swearing in other similar topics but i fail to see why. The football team hasnt performed since craig brown was in charge. If you say 10 in a row, the glasgow mob will think its about them but now the national team has the 10 in a row tag & i dont think the football team will ever qualify until they get back to the 3 foreigner rule for each club. Never mind roll on 2 years as scotland are in the rugby world cup.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oxyminx91Woman
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Must agree, we need youth players coming through.

Can't believe that when bumped down rangers 'bought' their way up rather than use the academy.

Just think of the experience and value those players could have had now. Grafted from bottom up.

Too many managers quote 'quality' players - reality is, if they were quality they wouldn't be in Scotland!! Premiership is a pipedream with championship in England paying much higher wages.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Perhaps we need to accept that there are lots of reasons we are not world class and stop blaming managers coaches the fact he didnt play and he put that donkey on.

Scottish football has been in decline for decades. Our biggest problems are youth development, low population and no harmony in the squad (coaching staff players) players club commitments to name just a few.

then you have the armchair supporters demanding better newsflash we are pretty dire when against a better organised country

By *cottybhoyMan
over a year ago

falkirk

[Removed by poster at 08/10/17 20:48:41]

By *cottybhoyMan
over a year ago

falkirk

"Must agree, we need youth players coming through.

Can't believe that when bumped down rangers 'bought' their way up rather than use the academy.

Just think of the experience and value those players could have had now. Grafted from bottom up.

Too many managers quote 'quality' players - reality is, if they were quality they wouldn't be in Scotland!! Premiership is a pipedream with championship in England paying much higher wages."

Rangers? Stick to dogging!

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Perhaps we need to accept that there are lots of reasons we are not world class and stop blaming managers coaches the fact he didnt play and he put that donkey on.

Scottish football has been in decline for decades. Our biggest problems are youth development, low population and no harmony in the squad (coaching staff players) players club commitments to name just a few.

then you have the armchair supporters demanding better newsflash we are pretty dire when against a better organised country"

I agree Kola.

And so much to be done to develop youth football in Scotland.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

", low population "

I think other Country's who have less of a population like Croatia, shows that is not the case if it was China would win everything.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

", low population

I think other Country's who have less of a population like Croatia, shows that is not the case if it was China would win everything."

those countrys invest in the game though we dont if you get 1 in a thousand raw talent players we dont have that many in comparison to larger countrys then factor in zero spending on developing this raw talent other countrys have decent coaching and management to their raw talent.

Or keep blaming everyone else blindly refusing to accept for football to get to a decent lvl in this country would take major change across every facet of our game

over a year ago

I have only ever attended one soccer match in my life...so what would I know. The relief that we don't have to re-live Ally's Tartan Army is awesome.

By *xplorer13Man
over a year ago

glenrothes

Their one chance of a chance of competing and yet again they fucked up to a really poor country! Shocking! We are getting into the same league as Andorra and San Marino.... poor poor poor. Yet they still get their £10k a week...

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

", low population

I think other Country's who have less of a population like Croatia, shows that is not the case if it was China would win everything.those countrys invest in the game though we dont if you get 1 in a thousand raw talent players we dont have that many in comparison to larger countrys then factor in zero spending on developing this raw talent other countrys have decent coaching and management to their raw talent.

Or keep blaming everyone else blindly refusing to accept for football to get to a decent lvl in this country would take major change across every facet of our game"

Absolutely major changes!

Decent coaching, management plans and better facilities to develop Youth football!

Unreal that some youth teams struggle to get a pitch or a decent pitch to train on seasons after seasons!

What hope does Scottish football have?!

There are so many European format that could be copied, adapted to development the Sport.

If frustrates me as there are some young potential getting wasted out there.

Whoops rant over

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

"Their one chance of a chance of competing and yet again they fucked up to a really poor country! Shocking! We are getting into the same league as Andorra and San Marino.... poor poor poor. Yet they still get their £10k a week... "

It's a bad day when we're struggling to beat Andorra & San Marino.

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

Yup. Scotland are defo getting worse.

Can't even get into World Cup anymore.

When was the last time we were that half decent.

Probably around USA '94 World Cup.

Pretty sure that's where we actually played half decent against Brazil. Ok we lost 2-1.

But we gave them a run for there money.

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here)

By *rgyll_LadMan
over a year ago

Around

"Yup. Scotland are defo getting worse.

Pretty sure that's where we actually played half decent against Brazil. Ok we lost 2-1.

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here)"

France 98. 94-Like England, never got to America.

over a year ago

"Perhaps we need to accept that there are lots of reasons we are not world class and stop blaming managers coaches the fact he didnt play and he put that donkey on.

then you have the armchair supporters demanding better newsflash we are pretty dire when against a better organised country"

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

"Yup. Scotland are defo getting worse.

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here)

France 98. 94-Like England, never got to America. "

Cheers. For correction.

over a year ago

John McGinn and Calum McGregor on the bench, the two most in form young midfielders in Scotland right now making way for the likes of Barry Fucking Bannan. That there is demonstrative of why we fail, the Scotland International set up is an old boys network of failed, sub standard journeyman footballers. They deserve everything they get....utter shite!

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Tain

Speaking as a rugby supporter, we would love to have even a fraction of the money that is available in football.

over a year ago

"Speaking as a rugby supporter, we would love to have even a fraction of the money that is available in football.

"

Speaking as a football supporter we would love to have players who had a fraction of the toughness of rugby players. Footballers are a shower of overpaid Prima Donnas who go down as though they have been shot by a sniper at the slightest contact

over a year ago

If the best team available to the manager had been picked consistently we'd be comfortably in that play off as a minimum.

I don't buy this idea that we simply don't have the talent available to us, we do, they just weren't getting picked.

Matt Philips? I rest my case.

By *ortland51Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Speaking as a rugby supporter, we would love to have even a fraction of the money that is available in football.

"

And herein lies the problem. To an extent this side of the border, and in absolute full on the other side of it.

And I completely agree with the opinion above me too about the physical and ethical side of the game these days as well.

over a year ago

I am old enough to remember when we had good players but rotten managers with no tactical awareness. Now have average players and still the coaching is wrong. In dundee their are great ammenities for kids but the coaching is dire. I see first hand how the look for thebiggest and stongest work on strength forgetting actual skill level. Get

The skill first. I could go on but would need to write screeds. Rant over

over a year ago

"John McGinn and Calum McGregor on the bench, the two most in form young midfielders in Scotland right now making way for the likes of Barry Fucking Bannan. That there is demonstrative of why we fail, the Scotland International set up is an old boys network of failed, sub standard journeyman footballers. They deserve everything they get....utter shite!"

Nailed it. Illustrated also by how long it took for the management to accept that Griffiths had to be first choice striker.

By *othingButCocoChanelWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Too many managers quote 'quality' players - reality is, if they were quality they wouldn't be in Scotland!! Premiership is a pipedream with championship in England paying much higher wages."

Aye coz its all rangers fault eh

over a year ago

I like scottish football...as a national thing..

I find it embarrassing to watch the domestic scene..

I cant actually fathom why people cant see our game is WOEFULLY shit, compared to english and beyond teams..

over a year ago

We could Be like England, qualify but get knocked straight back out.

I'd rather go into a tournament knowing we have assembled a decent team.

Current team didn't finish teams off in the early stages of the qualifiers. I say stick with strachan or get Lennon in.

Gutted we missed out. As for the domestic scene, shame on the SFA that can't up their game in a sponsorship sense. Better sponsorship = big ££ which means better wages to quality players. We should be attracting the EPL championship players aswell as foreign players.

over a year ago

.....Lennon?......Neil Lennon?....As Scotland manager?

over a year ago

Too many managers quote 'quality' players - reality is, if they were quality they wouldn't be in Scotland!! Premiership is a pipedream with championship in England paying much higher wages.

Aye coz its all rangers fault eh "

rangers played all through the lower leagues and made it back. you cant say they 'bought' it

still recovering and still going for 55

over a year ago

Lennon?-f--king 'ell

over a year ago

Why not. He's played his trade here knows the youth and senior set up, question is can the SFA temp him?

Who else would come and manage...oh derek mcinnes aswell....

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

Speaking as a football supporter we would love to have players who had a fraction of the toughness of rugby players. Footballers are a shower of overpaid Prima Donnas who go down as though they have been shot by a sniper at the slightest contact "

This exactly.

Most footballers just go to the club that's going to pay them the most.

Not playing for heart/team.

More £ driven

over a year ago

"I am old enough to remember when we had good players but rotten managers with no tactical awareness. Now have average players and still the coaching is wrong. In dundee their are great ammenities for kids but the coaching is dire. I see first hand how the look for the biggest and stongest work on strength forgetting actual skill level. Get

The skill first. I could go on but would need to write screeds. Rant over "

I agree with a certain extent but you need to know what we are doing wrong in order to sort it. I grew up as well, expecting to get to the finals stages, it was the normal lollll

Youth football is a section on their own, the best are taken into pro soccer but for every 50 boys in pro, only 1 is expected to do well and the rest are let go back into the youth set up, a bit demoralized.

All youth teams work differently but are started by a guy or woman who is either a father or mother and just want to get kids off the street then it starts to get more time consuming and important and sometimes that when managers and coaches forget about development and think about winning, which is wrong. The problem is each one only know from their experience or what they have watched. So those boys and girls are learning knowledge from the coaches experience and if the coach isnt good at expressing his knowledge to the kids then this will slow their development down.

I have seen coaches who are shouting and screaming at kids, from a young age and they need to be taught that this is wrong. I have seen it over the years and it means that any potential late developer/kids might be stiffed by these bad coaches.

I'm not long back from Hampden passing my next coaching level but for me I was with all these coaches and they are all at different levels but you know they can only get to a certain level. But everyoenof them to a man and a woman is a godsend becuase they are trying so hard to do their bit for Scottish Football and the youths. Personally, I don't know how but I want to see the SFA n Scottish football do more for grassroots football because something needs to be done and done fast if only to give up a fighting chance of great quality players in 20 years time.

ffs, I didn't wanna bore you so I only put down a small sample of my view but reading some of the comments above I'm thinking how can you be so blinked to expect anything less, we are at the level we are at and we deserve to be there until there is a change.

Right now thats off my chest, any girl up for being fucked rotten on the 29th of January 2019

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I am old enough to remember when we had good players but rotten managers with no tactical awareness. Now have average players and still the coaching is wrong. In dundee their are great ammenities for kids but the coaching is dire. I see first hand how the look for the biggest and stongest work on strength forgetting actual skill level. Get

I agree with a certain extent but you need to know what we are doing wrong in order to sort it. I grew up as well, expecting to get to the finals stages, it was the normal lollll

Youth football is a section on their own, the best are taken into pro soccer but for every 50 boys in pro, only 1 is expected to do well and the rest are let go back into the youth set up, a bit demoralized.

All youth teams work differently but are started by a guy or woman who is either a father or mother and just want to get kids off the street then it starts to get more time consuming and important and sometimes that when managers and coaches forget about development and think about winning, which is wrong. The problem is each one only know from their experience or what they have watched. So those boys and girls are learning knowledge from the coaches experience and if the coach isnt good at expressing his knowledge to the kids then this will slow their development down.

I have seen coaches who are shouting and screaming at kids, from a young age and they need to be taught that this is wrong. I have seen it over the years and it means that any potential late developer/kids might be stiffed by these bad coaches.

I'm not long back from Hampden passing my next coaching level but for me I was with all these coaches and they are all at different levels but you know they can only get to a certain level. But everyoenof them to a man and a woman is a godsend becuase they are trying so hard to do their bit for Scottish Football and the youths. Personally, I don't know how but I want to see the SFA n Scottish football do more for grassroots football because something needs to be done and done fast if only to give up a fighting chance of great quality players in 20 years time.

ffs, I didn't wanna bore you so I only put down a small sample of my view but reading some of the comments above I'm thinking how can you be so blinked to expect anything less, we are at the level we are at and we deserve to be there until there is a change.

Right now thats off my chest, any girl up for being fucked rotten on the 29th of January 2019 "

Agree with you regarding Youth football. And you know some of my views on Parents coaching their kid in a team and bad coaching

I was at a youth game the other day, a coach was 'on' the pitch directing his players. That was bad enough!

But my blood boiled when he smiled and said, great! That's one of their best players off the pitch, after a very bad tackle that injured a lad!

'And that's another one off' when my lad had to get off after a bad tackle and had mild concussion as a result

When I told him he shouldn't be near kids and that pitch was for ref and players he replied... I have been a coach for 20 years blah blah... doesn't make his decision right or him right to coach a team!

The whole attitude has to change!

Jeezz you got me started now Peter lol

over a year ago

Max to be the next Scotland Momager!

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Right now thats off my chest, any girl up for being fucked rotten on the 29th of January 2019

Agree with you regarding Youth football. And you know some of my views on Parents coaching their kid in a team and bad coaching

I was at a youth game the other day, a coach was 'on' the pitch directing his players. That was bad enough!

But my blood boiled when he smiled and said, great! That's one of their best players off the pitch, after a very bad tackle that injured a lad!

'And that's another one off' when my lad had to get off after a bad tackle and had mild concussion as a result

When I told him he shouldn't be near kids and that pitch was for ref and players he replied... I have been a coach for 20 years blah blah... doesn't make his decision right or him right to coach a team!

Jeezz you got me started now Peter lol "

You still missed the important point Max . He’s looking for a meet 29/1/2019

over a year ago

Jeezz you got me started now Peter lol

You still missed the important point Max . He’s looking for a meet 29/1/2019 "

She'll be in the dugout at a Scotland European Championship qualifier that night.

By *ortland51Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I like scottish football...as a national thing..

I cant actually fathom why people cant see our game is WOEFULLY shit, compared to english and beyond teams.. "

Completely disagree.

The domestic game is far from completely shit. Anyone who attends matches regularly will see that every single club in Scotland now, and have been for a long time, developing their own players to a competitive standard for this country. I've seen some exceptionally talented players come through loads of clubs. Dundee United, St Mirren, Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, Hamilton, Motherwell, et al.

It's a lazy and ill-founded comparison to label the product shit compared to the English Premier League. That's like slagging a Fiat off for not being a Ferrari. Pointless.

As for the English Premier League, exciting as it occasionally may be, that is largely down to hyperbole, excellent marketing and the ability to buy the best players in the world. But pound-for-pound, I'd happily take the Scottish product over that one any day of the week as at least the majority of our product is our own and will get a chance.

over a year ago

"I like scottish football...as a national thing..

I cant actually fathom why people cant see our game is WOEFULLY shit, compared to english and beyond teams..

Completely disagree.

The domestic game is far from completely shit. Anyone who attends matches regularly will see that every single club in Scotland now, and have been for a long time, developing their own players to a competitive standard for this country. I've seen some exceptionally talented players come through loads of clubs. Dundee United, St Mirren, Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, Hamilton, Motherwell, et al.

It's a lazy and ill-founded comparison to label the product shit compared to the English Premier League. That's like slagging a Fiat off for not being a Ferrari. Pointless.

As for the English Premier League, exciting as it occasionally may be, that is largely down to hyperbole, excellent marketing and the ability to buy the best players in the world. But pound-for-pound, I'd happily take the Scottish product over that one any day of the week as at least the majority of our product is our own and will get a chance. "

Scottish football may (or may not depending on your opinion) be shit but unlike the EPL we are NOT Murdoch Money Junkies. Without the TV revenue almost every team outside the “Top 4” in the EPL would go back to be just as “shite” (if not more so) than Scottish teams. At least the owners of Scottish clubs have a grasp of the heritage/history of the teams they own, they are not just some Middle Eastern/Russian/American billionaire wankers latest status symbol.

over a year ago

What a load of shite

over a year ago

You can only piss with the cock you have got. Young players coming through are good give wee chess another 2 years

over a year ago

Right now thats off my chest, any girl up for being fucked rotten on the 29th of January 2019 "

over a year ago

"I am old enough to remember when we had good players but rotten managers with no tactical awareness. Now have average players and still the coaching is wrong. In dundee their are great ammenities for kids but the coaching is dire. I see first hand how the look for the biggest and stongest work on strength forgetting actual skill level. Get i agree with lots that you say but you are going through the same sfa coaching as the rest of them how can you develop as a coach to recognise what i am saying my gramdsons coachsaid to his group he was shit at football but then preceeds to teach them. Thats not saying that you must be a fantastic player as lots of manegers have proved just concentrate on skill. Grr

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

Can we not just be honest and say we are rubbish . Overpaid pansies who go down with the slightest of touches then turn to the ref and say "plz sir can i get a free kick or penalty in the hope of getting a non pressured kick of the ball". Its bred into the rubbish players to try for every advantage from the ref instead of breeding into them a bit of robustness. Add to that rant todays parental society where they would rather sit in and watch eastenders than take there kids to football training 3 times a week and perhaps a Saturday morning. Add to that rant the bygone days when kids could safely meet in the park together and have a kick about and perhaps hone some skills. nowadays there either getting kicked about by the thugs of todays society or moved by snooty residents who see kids playing in the streetas a nuisance and call police as the poor lads or lasses had the audacity to play kirby 3 meters away from thier gate. Last rant , anyone who says scottish football clubs are a good platforms to bring our home grown talent through the ranks need to get off the buckfast. What they need is access to english leagues where they will rub shoulders and be mentored by REAL world class players and coaches whom frequent the English teams.

By *unlovingx2Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

We have a good bunch of young players who should be allowed to form a team. Fraser. McMinn. Tierney, Robertson, Burke, Armstrong, McGregor, the young defender McKenna from Aberdeen looks class is that young Rangers fullback Scottish. But the real battle is the fact our schools and society in general don't like the try to win attitude, our streets are too busy with cars to play in our parks are strewn with dogshit, and a large part of our youths are encouraged to be man bag carrying gender fluid flops. All those similiar sized countries that do well still have a blokes will be blokes attitude.

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

"We have a good bunch of young players who should be allowed to form a team. Fraser. McMinn. Tierney, Robertson, Burke, Armstrong, McGregor, the young defender McKenna from Aberdeen looks class is that young Rangers fullback Scottish. But the real battle is the fact our schools and society in general don't like the try to win attitude, our streets are too busy with cars to play in our parks are strewn with dogshit, and a large part of our youths are encouraged to be man bag carrying gender fluid flops. All those similiar sized countries that do well still have a blokes will be blokes attitude. "

Aye. Pity most would think that if the Scotland team from '67 (who most could name), could destroy the team from now

(obviously if the '67 team were all alive and in there prime)

I'm talking about the same '67 Scotland team that beat the "world cup" winning England team of '66

You all know the famous bit where Jim Baxter done "keepy-up's".

over a year ago

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

In France, they are 2 systems for Youth football.

You have a pro-youth system for football (and rugby) and you have a mainstream education for the football.

Not all the best players are/will be produced via pro-youth system.

Mainstream in the sense that a handful of local high schools in an area will offer a 'Sport and Study section'. Those students from S1 to S6 will study during the day and also do sport/football in the afternoon.

After High school they can join pro-youths or further their education with a University that will offer a 'Sport and Study section'. In football but also other sports!

Same system, study for your diploma in the morning and sport in the afternoon.

There was also plenty open days and trials organised by teams (not sure if those are still going on).

The ones that do not make it professionally generally end up being coaches!

Hence why in France we do not have parents coaching in any sports!

The Fees are higher to participate in a sports but that means the money is used to rent/buy facilities/equipment.

No running around to find a pitch with floodlights in the winter!

Also because coaching youths is a 'business' in France and not a volunteering exercise to develop one's own kid, a lot of effort is put on organising preseason trips for body conditioning etc. Easter holidays are also used for trips away to work on injuries etc... but also build team camaraderie.

I am not sure why this system cannot be adapted or used in Scotland.

There are parents willing to take their kids to a decent training session whatever times a week and there are kids wanting to play and reach their potential.

over a year ago

There is plenty of coaching facilities in Scotland and not all run by SPL teams.

Back in the 70's I supported a Glasgow SPL team yet at 15 Bobby Watson and I sat in Broomfield and was proud to sign for Airdrie.

Nowadays boys would rather sit and play FIFA in the XBox or drink Buckie and chase girls than train or play.

Watched a young neighbour join 300 kids at Tollcross enter a 6 week programme, at the end he was one of 6 invited to Murray Park to train.

At 16 he left to join the army and the other five are either in jail or heading that way.

Scottish football is not an embarrassment rather Scottish teenage culture is, either your in your room glued to a Games console or your hanging out in the street getting wasted to care about the game

By *azinga84Man
over a year ago

Kilwinning

"low population"

Can you mention that to Iceland please?

over a year ago

"There is plenty of coaching facilities in Scotland and not all run by SPL teams.

Back in the 70's I supported a Glasgow SPL team yet at 15 Bobby Watson and I sat in Broomfield and was proud to sign for Airdrie.

Nowadays boys would rather sit and play FIFA in the XBox or drink Buckie and chase girls than train or play.

Watched a young neighbour join 300 kids at Tollcross enter a 6 week programme, at the end he was one of 6 invited to Murray Park to train.

At 16 he left to join the army and the other five are either in jail or heading that way.

Scottish football is not an embarrassment rather Scottish teenage culture is, either your in your room glued to a Games console or your hanging out in the street getting wasted to care about the game

"

Absolutely nailed it!!

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"low population

Can you mention that to Iceland please?"

Iceland I believe has a population of around 300 000 . . . and they still qualify so to use population as an excuse is a non starter

over a year ago

Two men are responsible for the rot starting at domestic level. Souness & Murray. (This is NOT in any way old firm bias. I dislike both sides).

They started the big money imports, instead of developing local talent, and to keep up, the rest of the top league had to follow suit. This has damaged youth development almost irrevocably, with only the occasional glimmer of hope appearing.

It is still not helped by the misplaced "loyalty" of successive Scotland managers who fail to utillise the developing talent, instead sticking with too much dead wood.

Maybe it is time to try another foreign coach, despite the shambles that Bertie Vogts was, in an attempt to shake off players and ideas from the past. (This is NOT a hint to Max to apply!)

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Most Scottish national team players don't play, week in week out in a competitive league that gets them to the standards required. . . Sunday Pub League SPL football gets you Sunday Pub League players

over a year ago

my grandfather was an ex rangers manager (wilie waddell) and his brother managed forth wanderers to the junior cup.

he always said junior players would be far better in the national team as they are hungrier, and actually want to do well for the club. (and country)

please dont start some old firm nonsense (im a motherwell fan btw)

but i have to say when average or less players these days are still coining in 10k plus a week they really do not care.

Post new Message to Thread