Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Cervical Screening

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Cervical Cancer is fairly rare and affects 2,800 women each year. Sometimes there are no symptoms detected until it has reached an advanced stage.

The most common symptom of this cancer is abnormal vaginal bleeding after a womens period or right after sex.

This type of cancer is most common in women under the age of 35 and even though it is rare it is the 2nd most common form after breast cancer.

If caught early through a cervical screening test then it can easily be treated through minor surgery or radiotherapy.

What are peoples views on cervical screening should it be done every 3 years or more often.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *issNaughtyxxxWoman
over a year ago

Aberdeen

Yearly i feel, its not painful and if its picks up on something that possibly could kill you afew minutes out of your time is nothing.

By *adcowWoman
over a year ago

kirkcaldy

prevention is always better than cure- my young cousin is a survivor of this but needed her womb removed at age 21 after it had spread rapidly.

just as the guys should always check their bits too for lumps and tenderness.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I agree they need to look into stepping up the prevention and possibly decreasing the time in between screens for a lot can happen in 3 years

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

yearly defo,i was the silly one that always said if ive got it i dont wanna know so never went ,and owe my life to a guy that was very attentive down there lol .Been a scary month for me but with treatment alls on the right path .Be assertive in all ways and if not sure get it checked xx

over a year ago

I have never understood why the NHS doesnt do more screening for lots of things. Prevention or early diagnosis is always more effective and cheaper. But then again when has common sense ever been of any use to the overpaid pen pushers who run things these days?

over a year ago

oh it should be far more often, and so should breast screening, as some of you may know i am a breast cancer survivor and still i am only asked to go for screening every 3 years. i also had to have a colposcopy because of some abnormal cells on my cervix, so i count myself very lucky indeed to be 'all clear' and 9 years old!!

over a year ago

it should def be done more often than every 3 years , i was lucky i had a colposcopy to get rid of pre-cancerous cells, if it had been left any longer i might not have been so lucky , so yes yearly would be better

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman
over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

As a few of you already know i too had cervical cancer in 2002 and had 1/4 of my cervex removed

by cone biopsy i also had radiotherapy (just as extra precaution) which isnt pleasant but lucky i escaped chemotherapy thank god...... i went for my smears when i got the invites.

Cells do change quickly so yes id say yearly would save a lot of heartache .

please please please go for ur smears when they are due .

also breast check ups are equaly as important.

And also guys dont be embarrased have your check ups done too prostate cancer is on the increase xxxxxxxx

over a year ago

look at jade goody need anyone say anymore... everyone should get checked....breasts and smears...no excuses...life is precious

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman
over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"look at jade goody need anyone say anymore... everyone should get checked....breasts and smears...no excuses...life is precious "

indeed jo i think of her and do a post here for it every year xxxx

over a year ago

"look at jade goody need anyone say anymore... everyone should get checked....breasts and smears...no excuses...life is precious

indeed jo i think of her and do a post here for it every year xxxx"

i dont blame you jacs....i know a lot of peeps didnt like her she never deserved her life to end in such a way....her story should inspire so many

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

Another one who has had pre cancerous cells removed. My daughter was just about 18 months when I got the news and was petrified what the future would hold.

Definitely agree with yearly for smears. I hate going for them but its the lesser of 2 evils!

over a year ago

GREAT POST ..

REALLY HOPE WOMEN GET CHECKED FOR THIS PERIODICALLY

Buboo x

over a year ago

i def think it shud be more than every 3 yrs espec if it is known to run in families , my sister had precancerous cells an had laser treatment so we all go when called an if in any way shape or form you are worried book in NOW ,

you only have the ONE LIFE use it for living !!!!!!!!!!!

great post suz ty xx

over a year ago

Definately checks should be done more often, I too am a survivor after getting hysterectomy and radiotherapy when I was 28, my daughter was also discovered to have abnormal cells and underwent lazer treatment. Luckily she did go for her 3 yearly check ups but may be lazer treatment could have been avoided if checks were more often.

Men also need to be vigilante as so many don't check and seek medical advice immediately.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

over a year ago

every woman should get checked i was diagnosed in 2008 with cervical cancer and had to have a radical hysterectomy touch wood this is my 3rd yr clear plzzz girls dont think about it get checked xxxx

over a year ago

"I have never understood why the NHS doesnt do more screening for lots of things. Prevention or early diagnosis is always more effective and cheaper. But then again when has common sense ever been of any use to the overpaid pen pushers who run things these days?"

Discovered just few weeks ago i have an alteration in my BRCA2 gene which is the gene that can cause breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men amongst other things. Not concerned for myself but wanted my daughter checked for it as i have had my mother 2 aunts and sister all diagnosed with breast cancer before they were 35. Shocked, horrified and spitting bloodhere that the NHS wont check my daughter for this gene deformity till she is 25. so she is now living in limbo knowing she has a 50% chance of having the deformed gene that causes breast cancer

By *nTCouple
over a year ago

funland

had breast cancer 2 years running and neither were picked up via screening but by myself - had radiotherapy and chemo with the 2nd breast cancer

i would love screening to be more regular but as a nurse in the nhs i know we neither have the equipment or staff to cope with the volumes of people. not an excuse though as it cost more to treat the illness!

my daughter is in the same boat as the previous poster - only she is to wait until she is 30!!

what i didnt realise was that men too can get breast cancer.

all cancers are killers and screening yearly would cut down the people who loose their lives to it!!

over a year ago

Looking thru this thread is the perfect example why u should go get scans and procedures done and even more check yourself regularly ... Lots of good examples

over a year ago

Had to have three colposcopy treatments and removal of large area of pre-cancer cells also. And I have always attended for smears regular as my mother drummed it into me. What can happen in 3 years is horrific and if I had been called sooner it maybe wouldn't have got to that stage. I now insist that I get checked yearly. You might have to fight your surgery for it, but most female docs are in agreement. And there should be NO minimum age for getting checked, hopefully this new HPV vaccination will show a difference in years to come.

over a year ago

i get a smear every 6 months as they were a bit concerned with the results of the first one i had after i had my second daughter. kind of worrying as they wont tell me anything but my doctor is pretty good so i put my trust in them....

Post new Message to Thread