Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

People that have pets

Jump to newest

By *inkyHnS OP   Couple
over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

Well that time of the year is coming up again the 5th Nov.

The people that have pets whats the best way to take their minds off the fireworks ?

We have one cat so on the 5th we cant really go out to a display would worry far too much on how the cat is.

I know its in their natural to hide away but i hate 5th Nov.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I dont let my cats out on the 5th, and my wee dog is terrified, wouldn't mind so much if it was just the one night, but it's days and weeks before and after the 5th

over a year ago

I hate this time of year too. My wee dogs get so stressed. I wouldn't mind if it was all done in one night but there are fireworks going on for weeks!

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

My sister's cat isn't bothered, she's just got a puppy and when I had her out in the garden on Saturday someone was letting off fireworks down the road. She seemed curious rather than unsettled so I hope that bodes well!

By *inkyHnS OP   Couple
over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

Yeah i know we had one that went off on our street and our cat ran a mile into her wee hiding place.

Mind you if we think its bad on our pets think of all the animals that are outside and not pets.

Its nice when your a kid but when you are an adult they can be a right pain in the arse. Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

over a year ago

I can only give advice that works for my dogs, past and present so...

Keep the tv on or some music played quite loud.

Keep them in a brightly lit room so less chance of them seeing the light flashes.

Be with them but dont draw their attention to the noise and dont fuss them when they get stressed unless they come to you, and if they do then just try and act as normal as you can.

Give them a new toy or chew bone just before any fireworks start as that may help take their mind of any noise.

I used to have a dog that was so petrified he would foam at the mouth and eyes would be rolling in fear. I used to take him away for a weeks holiday at this time of year to somewhere very remote so he missed the worst of the fireworks, and just before the bells at new year I was the one driving the M9 back and forth between Stirling and Edinburgh a few times with the sterio blaring for an hour or so until the fireworks subsided.

over a year ago

"Well that time of the year is coming up again the 5th Nov.

The people that have pets whats the best way to take their minds off the fireworks ?

We have one cat so on the 5th we cant really go out to a display would worry far too much on how the cat is.

I know its in their natural to hide away but i hate 5th Nov."

My cat doesn't notice. I swear she's deaf...

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

"I can only give advice that works for my dogs, past and present so...

Keep them in a brightly lit room so less chance of them seeing the light flashes.

Be with them but dont draw their attention to the noise and dont fuss them when they get stressed unless they come to you, and if they do then just try and act as normal as you can.

Give them a new toy or chew bone just before any fireworks start as that may help take their mind of any noise.

I used to have a dog that was so petrified he would foam at the mouth and eyes would be rolling in fear. I used to take him away for a weeks holiday at this time of year to somewhere very remote so he missed the worst of the fireworks, and just before the bells at new year I was the one driving the M9 back and forth between Stirling and Edinburgh a few times with the sterio blaring for an hour or so until the fireworks subsided. "

Oh no, poor thing!

I don't think fireworks should be sold to the public, only the local organised events. It would help minimise the stress

By *inkyHnS OP   Couple
over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

"I can only give advice that works for my dogs, past and present so...

I used to have a dog that was so petrified he would foam at the mouth and eyes would be rolling in fear. I used to take him away for a weeks holiday at this time of year to somewhere very remote so he missed the worst of the fireworks, and just before the bells at new year I was the one driving the M9 back and forth between Stirling and Edinburgh a few times with the sterio blaring for an hour or so until the fireworks subsided. "

Ah i never thought about have the room bright so she doesnt see the light flashes from the fireworks. Thank you for that one.

over a year ago

ive a dog,,hes not bothered by fireworks,,the hoover though

By *ajor_mahyemMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"ive a dog,,hes not bothered by fireworks,,the hoover though "

My dogs are the same,they try to bite the hoover, but want out to the fireworks ??

over a year ago

"ive a dog,,hes not bothered by fireworks,,the hoover though "

Hahaha my wee dog was like that - crazy pooches

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Every year ....fireworks and new year ..... two weeks before my dog has a special collar to wear that has a calming effect ... she also has a herbal calming tablet specially for dogs .... she still hears them and barks ... but doesnt get anywhere near as stressed ..

over a year ago

"Every year ....fireworks and new year ..... two weeks before my dog has a special collar to wear that has a calming effect ... she also has a herbal calming tablet specially for dogs .... she still hears them and barks ... but doesnt get anywhere near as stressed .."

I had that too once such a product became available and it made a huge difference. Wasnt a cure but made it more tolerable for the dog.

over a year ago

my wee pup is terrified just now with all the noise esp if she is out ... i hate that folks are setting off fireworks weeks before the actual night .. and ok i get that some may be in celebration but mainly its teenagers just doing it for the sake of it

over a year ago

My dog likes the fireworks, gets excited and loves to go out and howl when they explode.

By *andy_FraserTV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh

My dog is petrified of loud noises and at this time of year he thinks that darkness=loud scary noises.

I went out yesterday and bought a ThunderShirt, and the difference was astounding. Luckilly I got it on him about an hour before the fireworks started going off, and he had time to get used to it.

Not as many fireworks went off last night, but when they did, he didn't freak out like he normally does. He turned his head and looked at the window, but that was it. No shaking, pacing or constant panting. He was just warm from the extra layer on himself.

Mandy

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

If only beatz made headphones for cats and dogs

By *ornographic ArtsCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Our old dog was a rescue dog and was terrified. I had to sleep on the floor of the closet with him as he'd be scares to leave it and sadly nothing, vests, pills or training would help. Just me being with him.

Current dog barks at them so it's going to be a loooooooong night. Generally not a fan of fireworks given the history behind the celebration and S had lived in a warzone as a child and the noise brings it all back.

Post new Message to Thread