Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

25p food shop

Jump to newest

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

A shop in cornwal is selling all its food for 25p to help people that are struggling to buy their weekly shop. The food is either past its best before date or in damaged packaging.

I think this is an amazing idea to help people and reduce food waste at the same time.

Do you ever buy reduced food?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"A shop in cornwal is selling all its food for 25p to help people that are struggling to buy their weekly shop. The food is either past its best before date or in damaged packaging.

I think this is an amazing idea to help people and reduce food waste at the same time.

Do you ever buy reduced food? "

Yes, as much as possible. I hate waste. How did we ever survive before 'use by' dates were invented?!!!

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"

Yes, as much as possible. I hate waste. How did we ever survive before 'use by' dates were invented?!!! "

I do too. I love getting a bargain

By *earded blossomCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Yeah same here, hate food wasted. I always check the reduced section for dinner that night.

I actually had a mate who was down on his luck, with a little help and good money management and careful shopping he got into the habit of knowing what times Tesco put out reduced bread, meats, veg ect and now he's on his feet a little more he still shops exact same way. So many people waste so much money on food it's unreal, we love food but don't buy a large amount of food and rather do smaller shopping

John

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I went into my local supermarket one Thursday night and you would think they were selling iPads for 50p. It was crazy the amount of people trying to get into the shelves to see what the woman was putting out. They were grabbing everything.

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

I like a bargain too. Doesn't matter what. I bought a t-shirt for my eldest today, adult size medium from tesco...£2 reduced from £12.

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"I went into my local supermarket one Thursday night and you would think they were selling iPads for 50p. It was crazy the amount of people trying to get into the shelves to see what the woman was putting out. They were grabbing everything. "

Oh, I was on first name terms with some when I worked for sainsburys as a teenager. I did the late shift on Saturday and we would close at 7. They would always come in at 615 on the dot and follow round whoever was reducing stuff. It became a game

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"I went into my local supermarket one Thursday night and you would think they were selling iPads for 50p. It was crazy the amount of people trying to get into the shelves to see what the woman was putting out. They were grabbing everything.

Oh, I was on first name terms with some when I worked for sainsburys as a teenager. I did the late shift on Saturday and we would close at 7. They would always come in at 615 on the dot and follow round whoever was reducing stuff. It became a game "

Haha that would be funny

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"I went into my local supermarket one Thursday night and you would think they were selling iPads for 50p. It was crazy the amount of people trying to get into the shelves to see what the woman was putting out. They were grabbing everything.

Oh, I was on first name terms with some when I worked for sainsburys as a teenager. I did the late shift on Saturday and we would close at 7. They would always come in at 615 on the dot and follow round whoever was reducing stuff. It became a game

Haha that would be funny "

Even funnier when they would find the stuff going out of date before we did lol.

I used to let them loose as it saved me doing it lmao

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Haha that would be funny "

Thing is, it's a bloody good way to save lots of money.

By *ortland51Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

It's heartbreaking to think of the amount of food wastage, in this country and worldwide, when there are so many people who are short of it.

The BBC Scotland documentary a few weeks ago about food banks in this country was a stark eye opener. The work these places do is amazing.

Hats off to the people in Cornwall who have started this. I hope it helps out those who need it and raises even more awareness of an ever-increasing problem.

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"It's heartbreaking to think of the amount of food wastage, in this country and worldwide, when there are so many people who are short of it.

The BBC Scotland documentary a few weeks ago about food banks in this country was a stark eye opener. The work these places do is amazing.

Hats off to the people in Cornwall who have started this. I hope it helps out those who need it and raises even more awareness of an ever-increasing problem. "

It really is a sad state of affairs that people are in this postiton now and have to rely on charity hand outs to eat.

So many people go without meals because they can't afford to buy food.

Something needs to change because things obviously aren't working when we have so many hungry people living in Britain.

I do think people need to be taught how to grow their own fruit and veg and how to cook. Simple things like a big pot of soup is cheap to make and feeds a family for a couple of days.

By *p4funduoCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"A shop in cornwal is selling all its food for 25p to help people that are struggling to buy their weekly shop. The food is either past its best before date or in damaged packaging.

Do you ever buy reduced food? "

yes just tonight in fact a loaf bread .....4p

over a year ago

Love the reduced section. Have been known to send the boys on a yellow sticker hunt in the supermarkets. Give them £2 and see what they bring.

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Maybe sound like an old fogey now when i grew up school taught me to grow veg and how to cook simple stuff my mum added to my practical skills i've tried to pass on the same to my kids . I make a pot of soup for about £2.50 that lasts about 5 days and that's using aldi prepared veg would be even less I weren't to lazy to chop it myself . Mince and tatties Shepard's or cottage pie lasagne all easy made with cheap mince . Love to get a bargain from the reduced section in asda means I can have look at clothing section

over a year ago

If people got a job and stopped claiming benefits maybe they could afford things

There are jobs out there , but the way people who don't work see it is why get a job when they can get money for nothing

over a year ago

"If people got a job and stopped claiming benefits maybe they could afford things

There are jobs out there , but the way people who don't work see it is why get a job when they can get money for nothing "

I work full time and I'm still poor

over a year ago

"If people got a job and stopped claiming benefits maybe they could afford things

There are jobs out there , but the way people who don't work see it is why get a job when they can get money for nothing

I work full time and I'm still poor "

There's poor and poor though , do you get by every week ?

By *ortland51Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

There are jobs out there , but the way people who don't work see it is why get a job when they can get money for nothing "

That's not a particularly fair reflection on those who use foodbanks.

I'm not saying there is no validity in your point, but it's rarely as black and white as that.

over a year ago

There's poor and poor though , do you get by every week ?"

As the saying goes "rob Peter to pay Paul"

People struggle for many reasons. People are also on benefits for many reasons. I think it's only a very small number that choose to be on them.

over a year ago

People struggle for many reasons. People are also on benefits for many reasons. I think it's only a very small number that choose to be on them.

"

Yeah I know people are on them due to ill health and things like that but it's the last one who can work but choose not to who fuck it up

over a year ago

Yeah because it's as cut and dried as that

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

I admire freegans but could never do it

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"I admire freegans but could never do it "

is that the people that raid the supermarket skips?

I would love to try it and see what I find but I would be too worried about getting caught

over a year ago

"

I do think people need to be taught how to grow their own fruit and veg and how to cook. Simple things like a big pot of soup is cheap to make and feeds a family for a couple of days. "

Wholeheartedly behind this

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"I admire freegans but could never do it

I would love to try it and see what I find but I would be too worried about getting caught "

yeah thems the ones I couldnt rats nest in them lol (bins not the freegans)

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I would love to try it and see what I find but I would be too worried about getting caught yeah thems the ones I couldnt rats nest in them lol (bins not the freegans) "

never thought of that It doesn't sound as much fun now. I think I would lose if it was a fight over a cream ring with a rat

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

Well done to that shop in Cornwall.

Think that's a GREAT idea, as there must be tons of food that's on or just by the "use by" date.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a few food things on the "whoops" shelf at asda.

Always a good idea, should be encouraged more, especially large supermarkets, also make the shelf a big bigger, wider etc, I mean that "whoops" shelf ain't that wide, but it always is busy with people looking for knockoffs

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

I would love to try it and see what I find but I would be too worried about getting caught yeah thems the ones I couldnt rats nest in them lol (bins not the freegans)

never thought of that It doesn't sound as much fun now. I think I would lose if it was a fight over a cream ring with a rat "

lol a vacum sealed bag the gloves would be on

over a year ago

I don't understand why anything edible is disposed of in such a way. Surely it could be passed on to needy cases for immediate consumption.

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"

never thought of that It doesn't sound as much fun now. I think I would lose if it was a fight over a cream ring with a rat lol a vacum sealed bag the gloves would be on "

I still couldn't. I seen a rat on a night out in Glasgow they are HUGE!

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Every little helps!

This concept has been running in France for at least 8 years now... I think. The most recent concept being online websites selling those type of products. Popular in France in some areas and supported by big supermarkets.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Every little helps!

This concept has been running in France for at least 8 years now... I think. The most recent concept being online websites selling those type of products. Popular in France in some areas and supported by big supermarkets."

pret au manger gives their waste (still packaged and sealed) to homeless organisations have been doing for over 20 yrs

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"Every little helps!

This concept has been running in France for at least 8 years now... I think. The most recent concept being online websites selling those type of products. Popular in France in some areas and supported by big supermarkets.pret au manger gives their waste (still packaged and sealed) to homeless organisations have been doing for over 20 yrs"

So do KFC

over a year ago

What an arsehole

over a year ago

"I went into my local supermarket one Thursday night and you would think they were selling iPads for 50p. It was crazy the amount of people trying to get into the shelves to see what the woman was putting out. They were grabbing everything. "

i used to work in morrisons ... you should see it on xmas eve ... people know you are closing for 2 days so they do they shop at 7am for xmas dinner and then come back in at 12 and fight with people at the meat counter for a bargain

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/10/15 23:45:53]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/10/15 23:45:45]

over a year ago

"Every little helps!

This concept has been running in France for at least 8 years now... I think. The most recent concept being online websites selling those type of products. Popular in France in some areas and supported by big supermarkets.pret au manger gives their waste (still packaged and sealed) to homeless organisations have been doing for over 20 yrs

So do KFC "

I run an Events & Exhibitions company and I used to have a team who came to functions I was running to take away the left over from buffets for the homeless in Glasgow City Centre....but sadly councils cant accept this now due to health & safety issues....The homeless can eat out of bins but cant have food that has been packed officially from a buffet to eat.....But believe it or not we can take it into town & leave on seats around George Sq for homeless to pick up ....Bureaucracy gone mad...

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

"Every little helps!

This concept has been running in France for at least 8 years now... I think. The most recent concept being online websites selling those type of products. Popular in France in some areas and supported by big supermarkets.pret au manger gives their waste (still packaged and sealed) to homeless organisations have been

doing for over 20 yrs

So do KFC I run an Events & Exhibitions company and I used to have a team who came to functions I was running to take away the left over from buffets for the homeless in Glasgow City Centre....but sadly councils cant accept this now due to health & safety issues....The homeless can eat out of bins but cant have food that has been packed officially from a buffet to eat.....But believe it or not we can take it into town & leave on seats around George Sq for homeless to pick up ....Bureaucracy gone mad... "

Yea, pity about the "health & safety" in outdated food, would rather it went to homeless shelter firstly for FREE.

I mean, like you said some homeless people are going through bins which is a sad state of affairs.

C'mon Glasgow city council, should really re-think this.

Allow supermarkets to give there "use by" food to homeless shelter.

By *eather47Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Ive heard about this rule and it is ridiculous

over a year ago

That's the main reason what goes on in France won't happen here.

Supermarkets in France are given a hammering if they don't contribute like this.

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"I run an Events & Exhibitions company and I used to have a team who came to functions I was running to take away the left over from buffets for the homeless in Glasgow City Centre....but sadly councils cant accept this now due to health & safety issues....The homeless can eat out of bins but cant have food that has been packed officially from a buffet to eat.....But believe it or not we can take it into town & leave on seats around George Sq for homeless to pick up ....Bureaucracy gone mad... "

That's because they don't want their hands dirty if one of the homeless get ill from eating the food they have authorised to be distributed.

We need to get rid of the blame culture so people can eat.

over a year ago

I like a good bargin and its usually fruit n veg that i end up getting reduced as we go threw so much .... my freezers full kf par boil and then bagged up veg n potatoes etc. I also froze some of the strawberries id grown from.the summer so.when they go.outga season ive got some.

I agree we need to be doing more to help families in need and the homeless. X

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"I run an Events & Exhibitions company and I used to have a team who came to functions I was running to take away the left over from buffets for the homeless in Glasgow City Centre....but sadly councils cant accept this now due to health & safety issues....The homeless can eat out of bins but cant have food that has been packed officially from a buffet to eat.....But believe it or not we can take it into town & leave on seats around George Sq for homeless to pick up ....Bureaucracy gone mad...

That's because they don't want their hands dirty if one of the homeless get ill from eating the food they have authorised to be distributed.

We need to get rid of the blame culture so people can eat. "

its unfortunate I call itamericanism you cant do a good deed for fear of a lawsuit against you

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"That's the main reason what goes on in France won't happen here.

Supermarkets in France are given a hammering if they don't contribute like this. "

Am French so may be am getting this wrong with my comprehension but there are two 'subjects' in this thread imo.

'Donating' those products to homeless people and 'Selling' them to the public, I was referring to the 'selling' of those products. And the creation of specialised shops and websites accessible to all for those type of products. Now not sure of the regulation behind it but probably possible to do here in the UK. My opinion anyway.

over a year ago

What an arsehole"

How's it being an arsehole ?

over a year ago

"That's the main reason what goes on in France won't happen here.

Supermarkets in France are given a hammering if they don't contribute like this.

Am French so may be am getting this wrong with my comprehension but there are two 'subjects' in this thread imo.

'Donating' those products to homeless people and 'Selling' them to the public, I was referring to the 'selling' of those products. And the creation of specialised shops and websites accessible to all for those type of products. Now not sure of the regulation behind it but probably possible to do here in the UK. My opinion anyway.

"

You're right, the threads spreading out a bit. Having worked in retail I've been disgusted by the amount of food skipped because of the dates on them. My personal view is that we should at least be looking at doing something with it.

Be it shops to sell it at a discount or sent to homeless shelters or food banks.

Just don't waste it anymore.

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Cornwall still has Honesty Shops

These are where maybe a farmer has produce laid out on a small trailer which is parked by the roadside.

There is a small box for you to leave your money and you take what you need.

Can you imagine one in Glasgow? The bloody farmer wouldn't even have a trailer to come back to!

over a year ago

"Cornwall still has Honesty Shops

These are where maybe a farmer has produce laid out on a small trailer which is parked by the roadside.

Can you imagine one in Glasgow? The bloody farmer wouldn't even have a trailer to come back to!

There's a farmers one up near crief somewhere as well. The farmers leave their produce in the cabin, some it ordered, and people leave their money in return.

We try and stretch food out as long as we can. If you keep your eggs in the fridge, they last about four weeks longer than if you leave them out. I was was REALLY dubious but it does work.

"

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Cornwall still has Honesty Shops

Lol

I remember as a kid in France going straight to the farm to get our milk and my mum would pasterise it herself. You cant even do that now because of health and safety and other regulations limiting selling farm products.

Such a shame... Lovely memory tho

"

By *ab fem OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"We try and stretch food out as long as we can. If you keep your eggs in the fridge, they last about four weeks longer than if you leave them out. I was was REALLY dubious but it does work.

"

Have you ever tried the egg test to make sure they are still alright to eat

Place the egg in a bowl of water. If the egg lays on its side at the bottom, it is still quite fresh. If the egg stands upright on the bottom, it's still fine to eat, but should be eaten very soon, or hard-boiled. If the egg floats to the top, it's past its best and not good for eating

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/10/15 19:37:44]

over a year ago

its not that easy tho... what with childcare etc

over a year ago

oh.. and to get back to the thread... yeah I buy reduced stuff of all kinds, clothes food, toys that I store for xmas. I also love finding a bargain in a charity shop too!

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I know full time probation officers that have to rely on food banks some months.

Post new Message to Thread