Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Fort William

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We are thinking of coming up to Fort William at the end of October, is there much to do in Fort William? Would like some tips? Might not be worth the trip because the time of year. Any help would be greatly received.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

Oatlands

"We are thinking of coming up to Fort William at the end of October, is there much to do in Fort William? Would like some tips? Might not be worth the trip because the time of year. Any help would be greatly received. "

Lovely part of the world to visit, great scenery, especially the drive through Glencoe as you approach. Being so remote your options are limited but i'm sure there will be plenty to keep you occupied. Enjoy your stay!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"We are thinking of coming up to Fort William at the end of October, is there much to do in Fort William? Would like some tips? Might not be worth the trip because the time of year. Any help would be greatly received. "
it's a stunning place but remote if you not like hill.mountain climbing your pretty much stuck.If you visiting highlands would suggest aviemore as a better place to stay to keep options open.that way your inbetween inverness and fort William with much better access to the highlands

over a year ago

Sounds good I love exploring and Scotland has always been on the to do list

over a year ago

come up the a9 and cut off at Dalwhinnie, from there to Fort William is an absolutely awesome road

By *44bertCouple
over a year ago

Inverness

"We are thinking of coming up to Fort William at the end of October, is there much to do in Fort William? Would like some tips? Might not be worth the trip because the time of year. Any help would be greatly received. come up the a9 and cut off at Dalwhinnie, from there to Fort William is an absolutely awesome road"

Yup - that's a hell of a drive.

If you have the time, a drive around the Ardnamurchan peninsula is worth it - some of the most jaw droppingly beautiful scenery I have ever seen - and I've been to Donegal and the Grand Canyon!

By *dlilbumCouple
over a year ago

Aviemore and regularly visit Glasgow

I agree with Gasmonkey. Aviemore is definitely a better bet at this time of year. There's far more to do/see apart from just going hill walking and you're far better placed to explore other parts of the highlands. Aviemore also has a much better selection of bars and restaurants as well as some really cool places to stay.

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

Oatlands

"I agree with Gasmonkey. Aviemore is definitely a better bet at this time of year. There's far more to do/see apart from just going hill walking and you're far better placed to explore other parts of the highlands. Aviemore also has a much better selection of bars and restaurants as well as some really cool places to stay. "

And even busier when the skiing/boarding season begins

over a year ago

"come up the a9 and cut off at Dalwhinnie, from there to Fort William is an absolutely awesome road"

You must be a car driver

A9 is rubbish full of Police, trucks, speed cameras and why drive on a busy road for a holiday.

Keep off A9 and come up A82 along Loch Lommond up through to Tynedrum and Glencoe as great views all the way from Glasgow (as you will be coming up West side also).

Why not stay one day in FW then another in somewhere else. I like Inverness as has live bands on at weekends so after a day in highlands can sit with a drink listening to some tunes.

By *ary_ArgyllMan
over a year ago

Argyll

Fort William is pretty dead in Nov. out of tourist season plus the weather is usually awful - not always but usually. Unless you are into extreme mountain walking I'd head somewhere else - or postpone the trip till next May when weather is often fantastic.

By *ostEligibleBachelorMan
over a year ago

There's more to stopping over somewhere new than a run of the mill bar or a restaurant. Hill walking is great and easy and enjoyable any time of the year as long as it's dry. You have the best hills and best views of any walks in Scotland between Glen Coe and fort William. Many of which can be done with minimal to no gear. The place looks absolutely epic during sunset and there's a wee pub/hotel (the clacaig) (not sure of the spelling) which is right in the middle of the Glen at Glen Coe which is worth a visit if even for a pit after a nice walk if you do decide to try one. You can do plenty of walks without having to bag yourself a "Munro" (a high hill basically) up there.

By *ostEligibleBachelorMan
over a year ago

For a pint* after a walk!

Great for photographs too, and I have hundreds. I've been there about 7 times in the past year and I'll be paying Glen Coe a visit next week again with a pal as I'm off on annual leave for the next week! Worth it!

over a year ago

"We are thinking of coming up to Fort William at the end of October, is there much to do in Fort William? Would like some tips? Might not be worth the trip because the time of year. Any help would be greatly received. come up the a9 and cut off at Dalwhinnie, from there to Fort William is an absolutely awesome road

Yup - that's a hell of a drive.

If you have the time, a drive around the Ardnamurchan peninsula is worth it - some of the most jaw droppingly beautiful scenery I have ever seen - and I've been to Donegal and the Grand Canyon! "

Without a doubt Scotland has the best scenery and I have been around and seen a few sights.

over a year ago

It all sounds great

over a year ago

I hope you enjoy if you visit, we have so much to offer.

over a year ago

Go via perth crieff loch earnhead crianlarich tyndrum glencoe it stunning i ride it often on motorbike in summer so great twisty scenic route.

The autumn colors are amazing

If you seek company shout happy to travel x enjoy

By *orth East TruckerMan
over a year ago

Fraserburgh

Take the Jacobite steam train to Mallaig from Fort William, some awesome views and you cross the the Glenfinnan viaduct where some of Harry Potter was filmed , definitely worth a look

By *ary_ArgyllMan
over a year ago

Argyll

"Take the Jacobite steam train to Mallaig from Fort William, some awesome views and you cross the the Glenfinnan viaduct where some of Harry Potter was filmed , definitely worth a look"

I agree but not at the end of October - it stops running today until next spring.

By *atex and KinkCouple
over a year ago

Download Festival

Skipped the thread.. Has anybody mentioned the ice climbing!

Post new Message to Thread