Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Recognising users from fab

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Here's a question.

Were all human and here for similar reasons so when you recognise someone you know on here do you tell them or not?

I messaged one a while ago who got freaked out. Then she messaged me on Facebook saying she doesn't know what I'm talking about.... I messaged her on here - not Facebook lol.

Another was someone I knew well, I told him face to face and he denied it.

Some others I've known and have been embarrassed about it.

The times I haven't said anything have been family friends and people I've met on a professional capacity.

So what's the normal etiquette?

Ps - if you know me then just say hi lol. Were all adults

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've had it a few times and find it really creepy and intimidating. If we are pals anyway then not so bothered, but when a random messages you telling you they know where you work it isn't nice. I think it's best to maintain discretion.

By *earded blossomCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I've had it a few times and find it really creepy and intimidating. If we are pals anyway then not so bothered, but when a random messages you telling you they know where you work it isn't nice. I think it's best to maintain discretion."

Yeah some folk don't know how to approach someone, different if you both recognised each other although if I was lucky enough to pass you in the street I'd be one of those creepy guys

John

over a year ago

The way I look at it is - if someone recognises me then id rather know but I'd want to know who they are too.

I've also had messages saying I know you but I won't say anything then they won't tell you who they are.

That can come across creepy.

End of the day - were all adults and here for similar reasons, I do fully understand the discretion thing as it could really affect peoples working life or private life if their attached etc.

over a year ago

Sorry, but can you not just respect people's privacy, and mind your own business? That's what discretion is all about.

over a year ago

the feeling of a nameless profile telling you they know who you are/where you work/where you live/where you drink or anything personal is honestly horrible.

over a year ago

I don't mean if you just recognise them from the street etc.

I mean if you genuinely know them - do you tell them your here too or just say nothing?

over a year ago

Yeah anyone I've told I recognise - I've told them who I am too

By *earded blossomCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I've had a few people in the past tell me they know me from on here, some have been a little ott and forward, others have just hinted but some people treat this like a dating site like POF n such so they just seize the moment

John

over a year ago

personally I would rather keep this entirely separate from my 'real' life. different if i make pals that wind up being part of said real life but not for folk I know already to announce they know I'm here. I'd feel like my personal space was being majorly invaded.

over a year ago

I have recognised many girls here from pof... they are looking for relationship in pof and acting like a good girl... and this makes me fucking laugh

By *andy_FraserTV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I know a lot of people don't show their face on pics on here, if only to keep their privacy.

However I have bumped into a few people in my day-to-day life who look like someone I know on here, and know live in the area I've seen them in. I've never openly approached them and said hiya.

I have been approached 3 times in the last 8 or 9 months by 2 women and a man from here who recognised "drab" me from my photos. I was that stunned the first time that I just gave a blank response, but the other two times I did say yes. However it was people I haven't chatted to on here.

I also have a set of neighbours on here and we all know about being on here. There's also another couple on here from local that I know of, but I don't know them personally, so haven't said anything.

Mandy xxx

over a year ago

"Sorry, but can you not just respect people's privacy, and mind your own business? That's what discretion is all about. "

This, discretion seems to be sadly lacking on here at times

By *oody2shoesWoman
over a year ago

dunbartonshire

I discovered someone I had known for years was on the site after a meet mentioned he had meet someone and she knew me. I was a bit unsure but after a few weeks decided to message her. we are not friends on and off here x

over a year ago

There's a couple on fab that I've came across in everyday life very regularly. I think discretion is a very important thing on here and for that reason I'd never mentioned fab to them and never will.

over a year ago

"Sorry, but can you not just respect people's privacy, and mind your own business? That's what discretion is all about. "

^^^^^

If someone sent me a message saying they knew me I'd freek out, I like my privacy.

over a year ago

"There's a couple on fab that I've came across in everyday life very regularly. I think discretion is a very important thing on here and for that reason I'd never mentioned fab to them and never will. "

There's a few people I've recognised and I've just let it be. I wouldn't dream of mentioning it to someone. I've had someone I don't know come into my work and mention fab.. would never want to put someone through that.

over a year ago

over a year ago

I think even if there was a mutual recognition from both, I still don't think I'd approach them.

"Hiya how you doin? Seen you on fab"

Awkward! Haha!

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

I had a guy say that he recognised me and mentioned my work. I denied I worked there and I didn't recognise him.

When C didn't reply to a couple of messages from the guy's fake couple profile he posted our username and my work address in the status update.

It was visible in local updates for about 30-45 mins. So that was nice.

over a year ago

There's a guy I travel to work with everyday. Have spoke to each other for years .is on here . Think Iv I was to mention it he would be Horified I knew he was on here. Even more horified I'm on here . My next door neighbour is on here but I gave in and told him it was me. As he is saying he is single. When he is married with kids . Just to warn him you really don't know who is on here really ???

By *abloversCouple
over a year ago

London

Totally agree - we would never do this. It's not your concern what others get up too. It's for this reason we never swap face pics on here. Our business is just that - ours!

over a year ago

"I had a guy say that he recognised me and mentioned my work. I denied I worked there and I didn't recognise him.

When C didn't reply to a couple of messages from the guy's fake couple profile he posted our username and my work address in the status update.

Scary stuff!!

It was visible in local updates for about 30-45 mins. So that was nice."

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman
over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

spot on Jinty

over a year ago

I was chatting to a lady and she asked for a photo which I sent, only for her to tell me that we knew each another and that it wouldn't be a good idea for us to meet. That I can understand but she wouldn't tell me who she was and then blocked me, I will always be curious who she is

over a year ago

I had a guy recently measage me saying he had recognized me at the kids' school, of all places. He wouldnt tell me for ages who he was and it really annoyed me.

He finally told me who he is and it very awkward as I talk to his wife now and again!

Lx

over a year ago

"the feeling of a nameless profile telling you they know who you are/where you work/where you live/where you drink or anything personal is honestly horrible."

I wouldn't worry about people like that their just sad people who have nothing better to do and can't get any meets for them selfs so they try to make ruin it for others their just arsholes just block them and carry on having fun Xx

over a year ago

I was once emailed by someone I knew at school. I just blocked and didn't reply. Not my business what he does and I'm certainly not about to make him feel awkward either

Post new Message to Thread