Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Diet is bad for you who knew

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just been reading report that people who drink diet over normal are 41 % more likely to be obese. Due to the havoc artificial sweeteners play with your insulin levels making you crave food that's not good. They also make you retain fluid apparently and the average person loses six to eight pounds in a week after stopping drinking them. Have given up fizzy juice and the furry mouth headaches etc are hell

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

I rarely drink fizzy juice any more, prefer squash

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

if on the road and stopping in for a sandwich always take a "normal" tin of over the weird and wonderful diet types you get now, what ever they are called

in saying that, still prefer a cuppa tea

over a year ago

The week I gave up diet I lost 8lbs it's amazing the difference you feel x

over a year ago

"The week I gave up diet I lost 8lbs it's amazing the difference you feel x"

This is noted as I only drink diet stuff

Kiora diluting juice from now on

over a year ago

"The week I gave up diet I lost 8lbs it's amazing the difference you feel x"

bloody heck, I couldn't lose 1lb never mind 8lb, wouldn't look healthy, I prefer to fuel myself on protein & weights to try & gain weight

over a year ago

"The week I gave up diet I lost 8lbs it's amazing the difference you feel x

bloody heck, I couldn't lose 1lb never mind 8lb, wouldn't look healthy, I prefer to fuel myself on protein & weights to try & gain weight"

Sensible

over a year ago

Yeh have stopped loads of times as I drink loads of it a personal trainer challenged me a few years ago to Stop for a week and I lost 16lbs in a week but its harder than most addictions to stop as you need it in mixers if you drink

over a year ago

Well done on that loss

over a year ago

I dont know if it is true but i was also told all carbonated drinks play havoc with your skin !!!

By *eather47Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Does this also apply to diet Irn Bru

over a year ago

It was the artificial sweeteners that caused spikes in insulin levels so probably

By *othingButCocoChanelWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Me - its supposedly worse than normal

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Like anything moderation is key.cant stand the taste of sacchrine and aspertame

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

It applies to all diet drinks, and be wary of squash too as many of them contain artificial sweeteners as well (particularly the no added sugar ones)

I lost a load of weight, but still occasionally have fizzy juice - but always the full sugar regular version, although most of the time I drink sparkling water. If you are out and drinking - use full sugar as a mixer, or some drinks work really well with tonic... or buy a can of the full sugar version and add what you need to each drink.

I also don't use artificially sweetened products like yoghurt etc as they contain the same stuff that plays havoc with your insulin levels (and can affect hormones too in ladies)

over a year ago

Womans Love Juice is better for you.It increases your metabolism...

over a year ago

I never drink , diet or otherwise.

By *axter1987Man
over a year ago

your hotlist

great documentary on netflix(us) called 'fed up' pretty much talks about diet/low fat/"healthier" options of junk food. Tis a good watch, very informative.

By *ckleticklesWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Google the side effects of aspartame, scary read. I gave it up too and noticed a big difference in joint pain i was experiencing.

By *ompip3Couple
over a year ago

Paisley

[Removed by poster at 27/07/15 21:39:27]

By *ompip3Couple
over a year ago

Paisley

"Google the side effects of aspartame, scary read. I gave it up too and noticed a big difference in joint pain i was experiencing. "

What Ickles says!! ..... trouble is, what else can I stick in as a mixer with my Bacardi?? Open to any suggestions! xx

over a year ago

I stopped drinking monster energy drinks becuase I was told they're not good for me & I would lose weight if I stopped, its been 10weeks since my last can I've been tired every day since I quit I've been thirsty every day & I've put on about a stone.

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

I always have sweetener in my tea, not fond of the taste of real sugar

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"I stopped drinking monster energy drinks becuase I was told they're not good for me & I would lose weight if I stopped, its been 10weeks since my last can I've been tired every day since I quit I've been thirsty every day & I've put on about a stone."
same as stopping smoking you will be placing food or other fattening things In its place as a substitute

By *andom2chatMan
over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

"I stopped drinking monster energy drinks becuase I was told they're not good for me & I would lose weight if I stopped, its been 10weeks since my last can I've been tired every day since I quit I've been thirsty every day & I've put on about a stone.same as stopping smoking you will be placing food or other fattening things In its place as a substitute"

This ^^^

Your body will be craving the huge amount of sugars & stimulants you've previously been shovelling into it. Subconsciously you'll be compensating with other foodstuffs that are probably just as bad.

I gave up diet & replaced it with a very weak diluting juice, replaced chocolate for fresh fruit, bread with gluten free products, & milk for lactose free. Not that I need to lose weight but to "detox" from various ingredients I was "hooked" on.

By *ompip3Couple
over a year ago

Paisley

"I stopped drinking monster energy drinks becuase I was told they're not good for me & I would lose weight if I stopped, its been 10weeks since my last can I've been tired every day since I quit I've been thirsty every day & I've put on about a stone.same as stopping smoking you will be placing food or other fattening things In its place as a substitute

This ^^^

Your body will be craving the huge amount of sugars & stimulants you've previously been shovelling into it. Subconsciously you'll be compensating with other foodstuffs that are probably just as bad.

I gave up diet & replaced it with a very weak diluting juice, replaced chocolate for fresh fruit, bread with gluten free products, & milk for lactose free. Not that I need to lose weight but to "detox" from various ingredients I was "hooked" on. "

......Aye, BUT what about my Bacardi???

What can I use instead of Coke??

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"I stopped drinking monster energy drinks becuase I was told they're not good for me & I would lose weight if I stopped, its been 10weeks since my last can I've been tired every day since I quit I've been thirsty every day & I've put on about a stone.same as stopping smoking you will be placing food or other fattening things In its place as a substitute

This ^^^

I gave up diet & replaced it with a very weak diluting juice, replaced chocolate for fresh fruit, bread with gluten free products, & milk for lactose free. Not that I need to lose weight but to "detox" from various ingredients I was "hooked" on. .....

......Aye, BUT what about my Bacardi???

What can I use instead of Coke??"

lol anything other than diet its not been around as long as bacardi

over a year ago

I have given up on diet irn bru,

God the headaches are hell, drinking lots more water and only have one bottle of water with squash in it,

Haven't lost an ounce yet,

By *andom2chatMan
over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

"......Aye, BUT what about my Bacardi???

What can I use instead of Coke??"

Crystal Meths???

over a year ago

The difference between a Can of Diet Coke and a Virgin is ---

One is trying to Diet ...The other is Dying to Try it ..

over a year ago

"I stopped drinking monster energy drinks becuase I was told they're not good for me & I would lose weight if I stopped, its been 10weeks since my last can I've been tired every day since I quit I've been thirsty every day & I've put on about a stone.same as stopping smoking you will be placing food or other fattening things In its place as a substitute"
nah went on a diet when a stopped drinking it

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"I stopped drinking monster energy drinks becuase I was told they're not good for me & I would lose weight if I stopped, its been 10weeks since my last can I've been tired every day since I quit I've been thirsty every day & I've put on about a stone.same as stopping smoking you will be placing food or other fattening things In its place as a substitutenah went on a diet when a stopped drinking it"
lol folk and rigidity with diet is well documented example doc asks patient what do you eat?...... reply breakfast lunch and dinner all healthy foods .......no extras? ......Well I may have a pckt of crisps some choclate some roasted cheese before bed but nothing to much....... ok keep a diary and bring in a dinner plate next week.......patient returns with a plate like a suckling pig platter and the diary is choc full of brucie bonuses

By *rmagiteMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

A lovely little side effect of Aspartame that there is a increased chance over time that it can metabolize into formaldehyde than can cause migraine type symptoms.

1st hand observation of this...to see someone suffering for nearly 9 months.

over a year ago

Does giving up fizzy juice also effect your mood as in put you in a bad mood that you can't shake?

over a year ago

"Does giving up fizzy juice also effect your mood as in put you in a bad mood that you can't shake?"
yes

over a year ago

"Does giving up fizzy juice also effect your mood as in put you in a bad mood that you can't shake?"
not for me

Post new Message to Thread