Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

cyclists

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Apparently the australian transport ministry are looking into the idea of making cyclists have a licencing and registration.

If it goes through hopefully britain wont be far behind

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Did you not sit your cycling proficiency test at school?

By *andG4moreCouple
over a year ago

Dunbartonshire

"Did you not sit your cycling proficiency test at school? "

lmao he could not reach the pedals so was excused lol.

just kiddin u know I luv ya... when you guys venturing south...

over a year ago

Be back down at cj's 15th august for my birthday

over a year ago

yeah but this is about an actual registration and licence,and not before time,at least if they had a registration document they can get charged for breaking red lights like so many do

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Pcism gone daft excuse me young wullie licence and registration please ..... i am just going to school officer......no lad your off to jail use your phone call to tell the truancy board

over a year ago

"Pcism gone daft excuse me young wullie licence and registration please ..... i am just going to school officer......no lad your off to jail use your phone call to tell the truancy board "
in all fairness,the report did state that it would be over 18's who would have to be licenced

By *erfume-LoverMan
over a year ago

Lothian area

In Holland - no lights at night then a fine

Totally correct with me

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Pcism gone daft excuse me young wullie licence and registration please ..... i am just going to school officer......no lad your off to jail use your phone call to tell the truancy board in all fairness,the report did state that it would be over 18's who would have to be licenced"
licenced and registered for what though ? What about horseback pogosticks scooters. Licence and registration should be for motorised vehicles imo

over a year ago

"Pcism gone daft excuse me young wullie licence and registration please ..... i am just going to school officer......no lad your off to jail use your phone call to tell the truancy board in all fairness,the report did state that it would be over 18's who would have to be licencedlicenced and registered for what though ? What about horseback pogosticks scooters. Licence and registration should be for motorised vehicles imo "
hey im only reporting whats being said and agreeing with it

By *andom2chatMan
over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

Fuck that - I'm taking the Space Hopper.

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

I dont agree that licencing and registrations of cyclist will work who is going to police it ??..havent the police not got enough to do..however i do believe that every cyclist on the road should at least be insured

over a year ago

Will wheelchair users need a licence to cross the road?

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"I dont agree that licencing and registrations of cyclist will work who is going to police it ??..havent the police not got enough to do..however i do believe that every cyclist on the road should at least be insured "
can see your point a little with insurance though the whole give cyclists space (and other road users) campaign negates this

over a year ago

"Did you not sit your cycling proficiency test at school? yeah but this is about an actual registration and licence,and not before time,at least if they had a registration document they can get charged for breaking red lights like so many do "

I was kidding.....

I actually hate cycling on the roads. Too bloody dangerous! I ride horses too and would love never to have to venture onto the roads with them at all!

over a year ago

Just bought a mountain bike which will be used for off road only, some amazing down hill tracks, never thought it would interest me but its a no bad thing to try out

You wont ever see me on the roads though as roads are for motorised vehicles only (im my view)

and when im out on the "push" bike its jeans, boots n lumberjack shirt, none of this lycra shite that you see all the road fannies wearing.

By *redrobCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kilmarnock

"Apparently the australian transport ministry are looking into the idea of making cyclists have a licencing and registration.

If it goes through hopefully britain wont be far behind"

Some countries already ask for this. Can't remember a time when you didn't need it where I'm from. We get a wee red license plate to put on bicycle with the number.

over a year ago

I did!! I still have my badge somewhere....

-Mrs-

By *ndrew MannMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Apparently the australian transport ministry are looking into the idea of making cyclists have a licencing and registration.

If it goes through hopefully britain wont be far behind"

Totally think that's how it show be, it might make the less responsible cyclists that 1. cycle on the pavement 2. jump traffic lights 3. weave in and out of traffic to name a few - behave more responsibly.

The amount of times I've seen those kind of cyclists cause accidents then just cycle off is terrible. If your own the road then you should have some sort or license and even insurance like motored vehicles.

Sadly like all things the idiot few give the masses a bad name.

over a year ago

"Just bought a mountain bike which will be used for off road only, some amazing down hill tracks, never thought it would interest me but its a no bad thing to try out

You wont ever see me on the roads though as roads are for motorised vehicles only (im my view)

and when im out on the "push" bike its jeans, boots n lumberjack shirt, none of this lycra shite that you see all the road fannies wearing."

I'm a Mountain Biker, but use my bike on and off road as I generally cycle to the trails I want to ride, unless further afield. So not a "road fannnie", although I do still wear Lycra bib shorts. they do have a technical function, especially on long rides.

over a year ago

"Just bought a mountain bike which will be used for off road only, some amazing down hill tracks, never thought it would interest me but its a no bad thing to try out

and when im out on the "push" bike its jeans, boots n lumberjack shirt, none of this lycra shite that you see all the road fannies wearing.

I'm a Mountain Biker, but use my bike on and off road as I generally cycle to the trails I want to ride, unless further afield. So not a "road fannnie", although I do still wear Lycra bib shorts. they do have a technical function, especially on long rides. "

Do you wear the funny hat and silly shoes too? or are they just for proper road fannies?

By *ikerbob1957Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Last week i almost had a cyclist as a bonnet mascot after he rode through a red light and didn't see me moving off. Too many cyclists think the road traffic act doesn't apply to them.

They can be given a non endorsable ticket for running a red light as well as tickets for dangerous cycling, etc.

They really should have insurance for road use and don't start me on cyclists riding on pavements, grrrr

over a year ago

I'm a keen cyclist .have insurance for accidents whilst on road.but have to say for every dopey cyclist there is a dopey car driver..as for truckers the time one has passed me and not given me a wide enough berth on road and nearly dragged me under with the tunnell affect has made me shit my pants more than a person with food poisoning does...i cant blame some cyclists for riding on the path...ps yes I have hat.lights.reflective gear when out on my bikr

By *ompip3Couple
over a year ago

Paisley

I'm a "Road Fannie" too! I wear lycra, as it's practical and comfortable and reflective!! helmet and shoes too!

I (like most serious cyclist's) have insurance, and i'm registered with British Cycling.

Totally agree with fining anyone not adhering to the Highway code, jumping lights is both stupid and dangerous. As for dangerous drivers? I have witnessed many occasions of reckless and dangerous driving from Joe public, both while on the bike and also while driving myself.....Some motorists just don't know how to behave when faced with a slower moving vehicle in front of them, and panic trying to overtake crossing solid white lines, on bends, or in general where there is no space for a car AND bike together.

More education is required and more cycle paths and routes should be developed....look at what they've done on Holland, making city centres car free at the weekend etc.

.....Rant over! lol!

over a year ago

At the very least, wearing a helmet when cycling should become law. Also a wee bit of cycle proficiency/ awareness should be put into practice by both cyclists and motorists. The amount of cyclists I see that never check over their shoulder before turning is shocking. As with motorists, some are good some have no regard for motorbikes so cyclists are pretty much invisible to them.

over a year ago

"I'm a "Road Fannie" too! I wear lycra, as it's practical and comfortable and reflective!! helmet and shoes too!

I (like most serious cyclist's) have insurance, and i'm registered with British Cycling.

Totally agree with fining anyone not adhering to the Highway code, jumping lights is both stupid and dangerous. As for dangerous drivers? I have witnessed many occasions of reckless and dangerous driving from Joe public, both while on the bike and also while driving myself.....Some motorists just don't know how to behave when faced with a slower moving vehicle in front of them, and panic trying to overtake crossing solid white lines, on bends, or in general where there is no space for a car AND bike together.

More education is required and more cycle paths and routes should be developed....look at what they've done on Holland, making city centres car free at the weekend etc.

.....Rant over! lol! "

over a year ago

always wondered if road cyclists actually have a brain that considers safety?

the amount of cyclists that like to ride side by side on a busy road is insane

then you get groups of 6 or more who like to take up the whole road and have never heard of single file, they think "bollocks, let the cars wait, we have every right to the road as them" perhaps that is true but they are the ones that will come off worse for wear in an accident

perhaps that lycra protects the skin?

over a year ago

The only vehicle on the road with no training no insurance no tax and at times no brains.

I cycle I'm also a biker and know red means stop and changing direction moving lanes I always perform a lifesaver look over my shoulder. Cyclists are their own worst enemy and should take more responsibility for road safety for themselves and others although having said that drivers can be real arses to cycles.

Two wheels means twice the thinking

By *ootall2920Man
over a year ago

Linlithgow

"Did you not sit your cycling proficiency test at school? yeah but this is about an actual registration and licence,and not before time,at least if they had a registration document they can get charged for breaking red lights like so many do "

It doesn't seem to stop taxi drivers running red lights (I see as many of them as cyclists)

By *ootall2920Man
over a year ago

Linlithgow

"The only vehicle on the road with no training no insurance no tax and at times no brains.

I cycle I'm also a biker and know red means stop and changing direction moving lanes I always perform a lifesaver look over my shoulder. Cyclists are their own worst enemy and should take more responsibility for road safety for themselves and others although having said that drivers can be real arses to cycles.

Two wheels means twice the thinking"

I agree with everything you say here. Motorists can be real arses and no matter how careful on the bike you are a motorist can still kill you.

By *andom2chatMan
over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

As much as I'm careful when it comes to cyclists I had to gawp in absolute astonishment recently at a cyclist in Milngavie where they've just spent weeks putting in a two lane cycle path & reducing the road from dual carriageway to a zig zag nightmare for the motorist. But where did one cyclist decide to cycle instead of the nice straight double cycle lane? Yup, the single zig zag road, causing a tailback for the cars all the way back to Asda, Bearsden. It's times like that motorists lose patience with cyclists.

Post new Message to Thread