Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Text Speak

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Have just read a profile that is full of text speak----is it just me or is that just laziness----or is it that I don't understand it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman
over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"Have just read a profile that is full of text speak----is it just me or is that just laziness----or is it that I don't understand it. "
don't really think it's laziness I think it's just convenience of being able to do something more quickly.

Look at it this way your stuck in a traffic jam one route is offering to get you to your destination quickly one isn't what one would you choose? lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We all mostly text now for convience dont think.anything wrong with few text words for quickness guilty of it myself at times not laziness in my opinion

over a year ago

It's wrong. It's a huge turn off. I understand some people are not the best at spelling or writing but to me it says lack of effort.

Sometimes it can take me a good 5 minutes to decode a 2 line message in text speak. Maybe I'm just thick or not cool enough though!

over a year ago

I just don't understand it and then made to feel an idiot, because I have to keep asking what it means, that in turns ruins the whole conversation.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

alot of text talk is now in the dictionary as it is in common everyday use (certain no must be reached) so is it not actually proper english then ??

over a year ago

Am guilty at times because I use my mobile so forget lol x

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

In my humble opinion, 'text speak' should be kept for texting.

Everywhere else should be decent English, and yes, I think those who deliberately use it other than in texting, are being lazy. A profile with a load of 'text speak' would be quickly passed over.

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

I don't do text speak, and don't like reading messages or profiles written like that.

Mr isn't the best speller, so that doesn't bother me so much

over a year ago

Pet hate of mine. We used to text speak as a way of keeping texts short and therefore cheaper. No one really needs this any more. Personal view though, each to their own etc..

over a year ago

"In my humble opinion, 'text speak' should be kept for texting.

Everywhere else should be decent English, and yes, I think those who deliberately use it other than in texting, are being lazy. A profile with a load of 'text speak' would be quickly passed over."

over a year ago

It does my head in. Also lol when things aren't funny?

Dinner time for me lol

WHY ARE YOU LOLLING?

over a year ago

Although I'm not keen on text speak, it's interesting how language changes. The first recorded instance of lol meant little old lady. Thereafter, it was common to mean lots of love.

Sorry to hear your grans died lol.

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

If i can make out what the message says then it doesnt bother me lol...neither does bad spelling or grammar....it doesnt make them a bad person in my book

By *andACouple
over a year ago

glasgow

It's a pet hate of mine so any messages we get that are full of text speak are always getting a knock back.

over a year ago

I tend not to use text speak even in texts. But I do lol...a lot. It doesn't really bother me others using it although I can struggle to understand it. My main bugbear is lack of punctuation. How hard is it to bung a full stop in? Grrrrrr....

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"I tend not to use text speak even in texts. But I do lol...a lot. It doesn't really bother me others using it although I can struggle to understand it. My main bugbear is lack of punctuation. How hard is it to bung a full stop in? Grrrrrr...."
as said on another post to go through multiple pages of punctuation while on a mobile gets tiresome sending a quick entry to a post could easily turn into a war of attrition with your phone thats the reason why when im on the mobile no punctuation

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"as said on another post to go through multiple pages of punctuation while on a mobile gets tiresome "

"multiple pages"? Sounds as if you need to download a decent keyboard.

If you're on Android, try the Hacker keyboard.

over a year ago

"If i can make out what the message says then it doesnt bother me lol...neither does bad spelling or grammar....it doesnt make them a bad person in my book "

By *andACouple
over a year ago

glasgow

"It does my head in. Also lol when things aren't funny?

Dinner time for me lol

WHY ARE YOU LOLLING? "

Agree with this as well. It's something I don't understand.

Post new Message to Thread