Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

gluten free desires

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My best friend is gluten intolerant, and she hates shop bought cakes that are, because she says they are too dry. I baked a gluten free ruby wedding cake for her recently and she thought it was heaven. So a friend of mine, who owns a tea room recently contacted me to see if I'd be interested in doing some baking for her. I've got a meeting with her next week. I want to suggest she does a gluten free range cakes. What do you think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mention of cake and no appearance by Andy, weird

I'd say go for it, a good cake is a good cake

over a year ago

Your biased that doesn't count tiger. Xx

over a year ago

Great idea. Know a few people who scream out for a good gluten free cake. Also a market for that is growing all the time!

over a year ago

Thanks for that. I need to know there's a market for it. X

over a year ago

"Great idea. Know a few people who scream out for a good gluten free cake. Also a market for that is growing all the time!"

thank you x

over a year ago

If you're going to bake them for the people in your friends tea room then the only way you'll know if there's a market for them is to ask the people in the tea room. You wouldn't want to bake them on the say-so of the folk on here and them not sell and wonder why.

Personally, given the choice of exactly same type of cake, one of them being gluten free and one not, I'd go for not but that's just one voice.

over a year ago

"If you're going to bake them for the people in your friends tea room then the only way you'll know if there's a market for them is to ask the people in the tea room. You wouldn't want to bake them on the say-so of the folk on here and them not sell and wonder why.

Personally, given the choice of exactly same type of cake, one of them being gluten free and one not, I'd go for not but that's just one voice."

well you are one of the lucky people that don't suffer from it. So actually your opinion doesn't fass me. Next?

over a year ago

Sounds magic means I would be able to eat cakes

over a year ago

"If you're going to bake them for the people in your friends tea room then the only way you'll know if there's a market for them is to ask the people in the tea room. You wouldn't want to bake them on the say-so of the folk on here and them not sell and wonder why.

Personally, given the choice of exactly same type of cake, one of them being gluten free and one not, I'd go for not but that's just one voice.

well you are one of the lucky people that don't suffer from it. So actually your opinion doesn't fass me. Next? "

Poke it then!

As it happens, I meant to say I'd choose the one that was gluten free but even if I hadn't, there was no need for such a curt, dismissive reply.

You asked for people opinions on the subject and I think I gave you a perfectly polite opinion on how to gauge whether or not there might be a market for these things but you crack on. If you want to use the forums to gauge a market need for cakes in one tearoom, go right ahead.

over a year ago

"Sounds magic means I would be able to eat cakes "

well obviously I have to see how it goes, but my friend loves bread and I do bake her all types, so I was hoping to en corporate that as well. Xx

over a year ago

"Sounds magic means I would be able to eat cakes

well obviously I have to see how it goes, but my friend loves bread and I do bake her all types, so I was hoping to en corporate that as well. Xx"

I can't have gluten which makes it hard when you go into coffee shops as I can't eat anything

over a year ago

well you are one of the lucky people that don't suffer from it. So actually your opinion doesn't fass me. Next?

Poke it then!

As it happens, I meant to say I'd choose the one that was gluten free but even if I hadn't, there was no need for such a curt, dismissive reply.

You asked for people opinions on the subject and I think I gave you a perfectly polite opinion on how to gauge whether or not there might be a market for these things but you crack on. If you want to use the forums to gauge a market need for cakes in one tearoom, go right ahead."

thank you for your feedback and I will take your comments on board. All feedback is much appreciated.

over a year ago

"Sounds magic means I would be able to eat cakes

well obviously I have to see how it goes, but my friend loves bread and I do bake her all types, so I was hoping to en corporate that as well. Xx

I can't have gluten which makes it hard when you go into coffee shops as I can't eat anything "

well that's what I want to change. It's not anymore expensive to make. Vegetarians had this problem years ago. All I want to know, would there be a market for this?

over a year ago

I (Mrs) cant have gluten either. The more tearooms that cater for this also raises awareness. Sounds like heaven to go to a tearoom for coffee and cake

over a year ago

"I (Mrs) cant have gluten either. The more tearooms that cater for this also raises awareness. Sounds like heaven to go to a tearoom for coffee and cake "

well I hope I can make a difference, and if you need any recepies pm. Xx

By *illdeeCouple
over a year ago

nr Edinburgh

And, not gluten intolerant here, if it tastes good why wouldn't we buy it too!!!! Crack on, let us know where it'll be on sale?

over a year ago

Thanks, you wouldn't no the difference in taste. X

xx

over a year ago

I'd go for it, start with a small selection and see how they sell. scones, traybake, fruit, and sponge for example

over a year ago

"I'd go for it, start with a small selection and see how they sell. scones, traybake, fruit, and sponge for example"

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

"And, not gluten intolerant here, if it tastes good why wouldn't we buy it too!!!! Crack on, let us know where it'll be on sale? "

Exactly this. It's not an issue I have, but if it sounds and looks tasty then I'd happily eat it

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Oui Oui!

I have no allergies but know a few people (adults and kids) that do and finding a coffee shop that does have a gluten/dairy free selection is great!

I have found that when they do have gluten free cakes, the people in the shop did not know all the ingredients, so giving them a detailed list of what you have used would be useful.

I have made a few cakes using polenta. And to replace the cow's milk, I use hazelnut or soya milk. Hazelnut milk does give a nice taste

Good luck

over a year ago

When we are on a mega health kick we cut out normal bread & cakes but sometimes as a treat we go for the gluten free options.

So you might find it's not just those with intolerances that would like the option there as well.

Good luck & let us know if you need any samplers.

Dx

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"Mention of cake and no appearance by Andy, weird

I'd say go for it, a good cake is a good cake "

Andy has the sin of gluttony on his CV so as this is a glutton free zone he might give it a miss

over a year ago

Excellent idea, I think theres defo a market out there

over a year ago

Thanks all so much for your feedback. Much appreciated. X

By *yrshireguyMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

More and more places are doing the gluten free thing. There is certainly a market for it. If you can master the bread then you are on to a winner. Out if all the gluten free food I think that's the worst.

over a year ago

"More and more places are doing the gluten free thing. There is certainly a market for it. If you can master the bread then you are on to a winner. Out if all the gluten free food I think that's the worst."

Yip the bread is like eating cardboard well the one you buy in shops

By *yrshireguyMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

I think I would rather eat cardboard. It's a hit or miss with the bread.

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

I'd be happy to come along to the tearoom and test some cake

over a year ago

To moisten cakes you can grate either carrot or unpicked beetroot into them and they moisten the cake.

It sounds weird but works !!!!

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

As someone mentioned above speak to the tea shop owner there wont be much demand for it percentage wise its around 1% according to nhs studys on coeliacs disease perhaps others may like it I find it tastes stale and wouldnt try again

over a year ago

"To moisten cakes you can grate either carrot or unpicked beetroot into them and they moisten the cake.

It sounds weird but works !!!!"

Does this also work for vaginas?

over a year ago

"To moisten cakes you can grate either carrot or unpicked beetroot into them and they moisten the cake.

It sounds weird but works !!!!

Does this also work for vaginas?"

No ,,,,, for vaginas you use grated parsnip

over a year ago

I think its a great idea i work in a butcher shop i understand the demand some people have for gluten free i think if you do it well then it will be worth it

over a year ago

"I think its a great idea i work in a butcher shop i understand the demand some people have for gluten free i think if you do it well then it will be worth it

"

Thanks. I've had no complaints so far. So here's hoping.

Post new Message to Thread