Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

National Anthem

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The SFA has opened an online vote for the national anthem. What would be your favourite 'Scottish' song to be our anthem?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-31369260

I'd go for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALwIh6nugaU&spfreload=10

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Dougie MacLean - Caledonia

an amazing song for an amazing country

Caledonia

By Dougie MacLean

Anthem for Homecoming Scotland 2009

I don't know if you can see

The changes that have come over me.

In these last few days I've been afraid

That I might drift away

So I've been telling old stories, singing songs

That make me think about where I came from

And that's the reason why I seem

So far away today

Oh, but let me tell you that I love you

That I think about you all the time

Caledonia you're calling me

And now I'm going home

If I should become a stranger

You know that it would make me more than sad

Caledonia's been everything

I've ever had

Now I have moved and I've kept on moving

Proved the points that I needed proving

Lost the friends that I needed losing

Found others on the way

I have kissed the ladies and left them crying

Stolen dreams, yes there's no denying

I have traveled hard with coattails flying

Somewhere in the wind

(Chorus)

Now I'm sitting here before the fire

The empty room, the forest choir

The flames that could not get any higher

They've withered now they've gone

But I'm steady thinking my way is clear

And I know what I will do tomorrow

When the hands are shaken and the kisses flow

Then I will disappear

over a year ago

I don't think FoS is relevant after September to be honest - but definitely not the View either! Lol

We do need a new one but its a tough call.

B

over a year ago

Where would you be without your wellies

over a year ago

In all honesty though LADS AMONG THE HEATHER by the corries is excellent description of us

Come all ye young lassies whar hae ye been

Sae sleepy and drowsy, I ken by your een

In all the wide world, you'll ne'er find a frien'

Like the lads that were reared among heather

Awa' wi' yer satins, yer silks and yer shawls

Yer soirees and yer parties and yer elegant balls

For a dance in the barn's worth ten in the hall

Wi' the lads that were reared among heather

Tak' a walk roon yer cities, braw buildings ootside

Gaze on the splendors and the wonder with pride

Fine ships have been built, on the banks o' the Clyde

By the lads that were reared among heather

When the queen wants some soldiers, she kens whaur to send

To the mountains and valleys, the hills and the glens

Wi' their bonnets and plaids, they're aye true tae the end

Are the lads that were reared among heather

Now England can boast for the sweet-scented rose

And Ireland can boast for the shamrock she grows

But gi' me the land, where the clear water flows

And the mountains are covered with heather

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

As an Englishman (with a pretty crap anthem it has to be said) I think Flower of Scotland is a very patriotic song but Caledonia is very uplifting so they are hard to chose between I think

over a year ago

I'd like to see a totally new anthem commissioned to represent Scotland today with a proud, forward vision...no harking back to the past. We have so much to celebrate in our land.

Failing that...my new grandson is currently enjoying his granny's renditions of "Ye Cannae Shove Yer Granny aff a Bus". It represents our ever present heritage (granny) and how we must keep to our values(not removing her from said bus) but yet travel forward hopefully to our destination(Dundee Bus Station)....

over a year ago

Voted... Other... God save the Queen

By *illi37Woman
over a year ago

glasgow

Yes a new anthem is required...if only to save us from the singing shortbread tin mentality that hold us Scots back so much.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"In all honesty though LADS AMONG THE HEATHER by the corries is excellent description of us "

Don't forget their version of Scotland the Brave.

over a year ago

"I'd like to see a totally new anthem commissioned to represent Scotland today with a proud, forward vision...no harking back to the past. We have so much to celebrate in our land."

Yup, new anthem. FoS is a dirge, Caledonia is a beer jingle, Scotland the Brave is, for me, inextricably linked with the lyrics "here comes the Heilan' Granny...." so is unusable and Highland Cathedral wasn't even written by a Brit let alone someone from Scotland

over a year ago

What's the matter with "God save the Queen"...

Throw a bass line in there somewhere and it's all good...

over a year ago

As a yes voter

I cannot bare to listen to flower of Scotland now without shaking my head in total anger

I'd vote for Caledonia as if I was a scot living abroad it would bring a tear to a glass eye

Love it!

Auds x

over a year ago

"As a yes voter

I cannot bare to listen to flower of Scotland now without shaking my head in total anger

I'd vote for Caledonia as if I was a scot living abroad it would bring a tear to a glass eye

Love it!

Auds x"

This is how I feel now when I hear Flower of Scotland. I now couldn't care less what the national anthem is to be honest.

Jason x

By *illi37Woman
over a year ago

glasgow

I am with "Glasgow Belle" on the merits of the songs put forward....oh to be stirred by a "Marseilles" type anthem so please no more of these "highland Hokum " type suggestions x

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

The sfa decide national anthems now lol

By *eorge17Man
over a year ago

Leven

Scottish football supporters seem to like Doh A Deer!

over a year ago

"oh to be stirred by a "Marseilles" type anthem "

that's a cracking tune

over a year ago

"The sfa decide national anthems now lol"

Surely God Save the Queen is the real national anthem anyway?

So the SFA pick a pretend national anthem that we can all be proud of and adopt.

over a year ago

"As a yes voter

Love it!

Auds x"

totally agree with you there auds

By *eterjamesmcMan
over a year ago

glasgow

How about four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness?

over a year ago

"The sfa decide national anthems now lol

Surely God Save the Queen is the real national anthem anyway?

So the SFA pick a pretend national anthem that we can all be proud of and adopt.

"

god save the queen is not and never will be my national anthem

By *eterjamesmcMan
over a year ago

glasgow

Unless it's the pistols version!

over a year ago

over a year ago

"Voted... Other... God save the Queen "

I voted God Save the Queen too

over a year ago

"How about four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness?"

I thought you'd struggle to find are four never mind the twenty

over a year ago

I try not to care about things like this it jus seems a bit too american for me, & besides we aren't a country anyway we're a state of the British kingdom we gave up the chance to be a country back in September sorry to bring that back into things

over a year ago

"Voted... Other... God save the Queen

I voted God Save the Queen too "

Great minds and all that...

over a year ago

"Voted... Other... God save the Queen

I voted God Save the Queen too

Great minds and all that..."

Yeah sure is

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I try not to care about things like this it jus seems a bit too american for me, & besides we aren't a country anyway we're a state of the British kingdom we gave up the chance to be a country back in September sorry to bring that back into things "

No need to apologise. Some folk have yet to smell the coffee.

over a year ago

"I try not to care about things like this it jus seems a bit too american for me, & besides we aren't a country anyway we're a state of the British kingdom we gave up the chance to be a country back in September sorry to bring that back into things

No need to apologise. Some folk have yet to smell the coffee."

56% did!

over a year ago

"I try not to care about things like this it jus seems a bit too american for me, & besides we aren't a country anyway we're a state of the British kingdom we gave up the chance to be a country back in September sorry to bring that back into things

56% did! "

55% actually! 1% matters lol

over a year ago

Who are the folk on here that are yet to smell the coffee? Just out of interest.

over a year ago

On Thursday 6 May 2010 the Conservatives were voted into power, is that the end of Labour, Lib Dems, UKIP and so on, no, this is not the case.

But wait a minute; if going by the above mentality surely that is the end of it, Tories in power for ever more, absolute codswallop.

The proud people of Scotland who voted Yes back in September will continue to hold their heads up high and fight another day and continue to fight for an independent Scotland.

And on that matter do you see what is happening today on 11th Feb 2015

Five Labour and two Conservative councillors will face the hearing at Aberdeen

The commission will examine whether the councillors broke its code of conduct

The letter was sent with council tax bills last year, urging people in the city to back a "No" vote

Onny it is YOU who needs to wake up, and on that matter, lets here who you intend to vote for, who do you think will pull us out the shit that the NO voters including yourself have dropped us in, you seem to criticise a lot but you never supply the answers or the party that will pull us out the crap.

over a year ago

"I'd like to see a totally new anthem commissioned to represent Scotland today with a proud, forward vision...no harking back to the past. We have so much to celebrate in our land.

Failing that...my new grandson is currently enjoying his granny's renditions of "Ye Cannae Shove Yer Granny aff a Bus". It represents our ever present heritage (granny) and how we must keep to our values(not removing her from said bus) but yet travel forward hopefully to our destination(Dundee Bus Station).... "

and what a glamorous granny

over a year ago

Personal view is that each of the four countries that make up the UK should have their own and individual anthem. I would like to see a new anthem for Scotland, and agree that it should be uplifting and look ahead. These anthems should be adopted and played when that individual country requires them. The National Anthem should be played when the four countries come together and are represented as one, I don't think that the English Rugby team as an example should use the National Anthem.

over a year ago

On Thursday 6 May 2010 the Conservatives were voted into power, is that the end of Labour, Lib Dems, UKIP and so on, no, this is not the case.

But wait a minute; if going by the above mentality surely that is the end of it, Tories in power for ever more, absolute codswallop.

The proud people of Scotland who voted Yes back in September will continue to hold their heads up high and fight another day and continue to fight for an independent Scotland.

And on that matter do you see what is happening today on 11th Feb 2015

Five Labour and two Conservative councillors will face the hearing at Aberdeen

The commission will examine whether the councillors broke its code of conduct

The letter was sent with council tax bills last year, urging people in the city to back a "No" vote

Onny it is YOU who needs to wake up, and on that matter, lets here who you intend to vote for, who do you think will pull us out the shit that the NO voters including yourself have dropped us in, you seem to criticise a lot but you never supply the answers or the party that will pull us out the crap.

"

By *owboy BebopMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

If the SFA are looking for a national anthem for Scotland Games.....we got to go for Shangalang by the Bay City Rollers..... Just imagine a 50,000 strong Tartan Army having a shout a long to it..... It would be good

over a year ago

Will this referendum ever get put aside.. it's brought up every time something scottish gets discussed... sing what ever song yous want to sing at the football or the rugby or on a bloody Saturday night walking up Sauchiehall stree... a democratic vote took place and scotland voted to keep the union end of!! I for one sing god save the Queen as that is the British national anthem.. but the jeely piece song would be good

over a year ago

"Will this referendum ever get put aside.. it's brought up every time something scottish gets discussed... sing what ever song yous want to sing at the football or the rugby or on a bloody Saturday night walking up Sauchiehall stree... a democratic vote took place and scotland voted to keep the union end of!! I for one sing god save the Queen as that is the British national anthem.. but the jeely piece song

would be good "

Well said..

By *landAnnCouple
over a year ago

Inverness

"I try not to care about things like this it jus seems a bit too american for me, & besides we aren't a country anyway we're a state of the British kingdom we gave up the chance to be a country back in September sorry to bring that back into things "

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

'British Kingdom'......?? What...?

Scotland is a country, recognised internationally as a country, with it's own established institutions like Parliament, Law, Education system, religious system, official language etc,....

And no, we didn't give up trying to be a country in September, we voted No, narrowly persuaded by silver tongued con men.....

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Who are the folk on here that are yet to smell the coffee? Just out of interest."

not me im on fifth cup

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Scotland is a country, recognised internationally as a country, with it's own established institutions like Parliament, Law, Education system, religious system, official language etc,....

And no, we didn't give up trying to be a country in September, we voted No, narrowly persuaded by silver tongued con men.....

"

as opposed to sh** talking dreamers pmal

over a year ago

"Will this referendum ever get put aside.. it's brought up every time something scottish gets discussed... sing what ever song yous want to sing at the football or the rugby or on a bloody Saturday night walking up Sauchiehall stree... a democratic vote took place and scotland voted to keep the union end of!! I for one sing god save the Queen as that is the British national anthem.. but the jeely piece song would be good "

Here here

over a year ago

as opposed to sh** talking dreamers pmal"

over a year ago

"

seems the above quote is your reply to everything, have you ever taken part in a debate

over a year ago

As a recognised country, and that is even recognised by your English masters, I would like to keep 'flower of SCOTLAND' I find it very stirring and emotional.

over a year ago

"

As a recognised country, and that is even recognised by your English masters, I would like to keep 'flower of SCOTLAND' I find it very stirring and emotional. "

Flower of Scotland was good but sadly due to the NO voters amongst us it can only truly be sung with pride by Yes voters still supporting independence.

cannot believe how many amongst us have no pride in Scotland

over a year ago

you all know my views on this topic, so last post on it from myself, if you want further discussion direct with myself then mail me

over a year ago

"

As a recognised country, and that is even recognised by your English masters, I would like to keep 'flower of SCOTLAND' I find it very stirring and emotional.

Flower of Scotland was good but sadly due to the NO voters amongst us it can only truly be sung with pride by Yes voters still supporting independence.

cannot believe how many amongst us have no pride in Scotland"

Don't know how you can say that..

I'm a proud Scot,love my country and it's rich and colourful history...I'm also proud to be classed as British...us 'no' voters used our head's when voting and not a passionate heart...we don't all have to be Robert the Bruce to be proud Scots....

We voted nearly 6months ago and still people greeting over the result..

Scotland voted....

Result was a big 'NO'..

Get over it and get on with having fun..that's what life is about...

over a year ago

"

I'm a proud Scot,love my country and it's rich and colourful history...I'm also proud to be classed as British...us 'no' voters used our head's when voting and not a passionate heart...we don't all have to be Robert the Bruce to be proud Scots....

Scotland voted....

Result was a big 'NO'..

Get over it and get on with having fun..that's what life is about... "

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"

cannot believe how many amongst us have no pride in Scotland"

creating division with cowardly talk as a man of scotland and a no voter I sing MY national anthem with pride you seem to have a habit of turning everything into a yes/no dovision post get over it

over a year ago

"

Scotland voted....

Result was a big 'NO'..

Exactly this!

over a year ago

Only 'Voting with passionate heart' is a bitty insulting. Think most in the Yes camp voted by gathering Information from many sources, Yes and No. Sure there were a couple of Jacobite flag wavers, just like there are Rangers fans... Most however, researched, read, discussed and got educated.

I certainly did. History, other than who has governed and fucked up, played no part in my voting.

That was the success of Yes. It informed. Something that's been lacking in UK politics for generations - as we are now seeing if polling intentions are to be believed up here. Which I don't incidentally, not fully anyhoo. Been there before.

And 10% is hardly a resounding victory. Had it gone the other way with a margin that small, especially given the massive voter turn out, I wouldn't have been happy. I'd want to see a decisive vote one way or the other. Nothing worse than a shallow victory.

Imagine the scenes if it had gone Yes with that margin eh? Ooft.

over a year ago

"Only 'Voting with passionate heart' is a bitty insulting. Think most in the Yes camp voted by gathering Information from many sources, Yes and No. Sure there were a couple of Jacobite flag wavers, just like there are Rangers fans... Most however, researched, read, discussed and got educated.

I certainly did. History, other than who has governed and fucked up, played no part in my voting.

That was the success of Yes. It informed. Something that's been lacking in UK politics for generations - as we are now seeing if polling intentions are to be believed up here. Which I don't incidentally, not fully anyhoo. Been there before.

And 10% is hardly a resounding victory. Had it gone the other way with a margin that small, especially given the massive voter turn out, I wouldn't have been happy. I'd want to see a decisive vote one way or the other. Nothing worse than a shallow victory.

Imagine the scenes if it had gone Yes with that margin eh? Ooft.

It was always going to divide our country, always winners and losers..

It's over for my lifetime I hope..we should be trying to unite our people not moaning at how they voted..no matter the size of the minority, it's still the minority..most of Scotland voted..and most voted no...simple as that...nothing to do with Rangers...or is the bigot card getting pulled out now...

"

over a year ago

Was using 'Rangers' as an equal example to the tartan clad claymore waving haggis eater view. Nothing more.

over a year ago

"

cannot believe how many amongst us have no pride in Scotlandcreating division with cowardly talk as a man of scotland and a no voter I sing MY national anthem with pride you seem to have a habit of turning everything into a yes/no dovision post get over it "

What a joke!!! You are anything other than proud of scotland. Through-out the referendum debate you did nothing but put scotland and it's achievements down and now you crow on about YOUR anthem!! give it a rest....go into a corner and sing 'land of hope and glory' to your english masters.

over a year ago

Fuxake. Right... Dancing Queen by Abba but it has to be played on kazoos.

Everyone happy with that regardless of how they voted? Good.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Who are the folk on here that are yet to smell the coffee? Just out of interest."

Those who voted Yes.

over a year ago

"Was using 'Rangers' as an equal example to the tartan clad claymore waving haggis eater view. Nothing more. "

You were using Rangers to suit your own agenda , nowhere in this thread did anyone mention tartan clad claymore blah blah blah.

If they did your point may have been validated.

Why don't you just bring religion into it as well ?

My Dad & Brother like myself are Rangers fans they were staunch yes voters I was a no voter.

I'm sure there were numerous families in Scotland like ours who supported different teams were exactly the same.

over a year ago

"Fuxake. Right... Dancing Queen by Abba but it has to be played on kazoos.

Everyone happy with that regardless of how they voted? Good.

"

I would love to hear that !!!!

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

English masters lol unless you drivel snp tripe your a slave to england face facts as has been said many times a MAJORITY was reached by the proud people of scotland you want to believe the hype good on you me I prefer a more balanced view and see things as they are I served my country in order that folk can have their views seen and heard so no I wont be sitting in any corner no matter how many teddy out the cot comments are made this post perfect example about the sfa and a national anthem how did it turn to referendum lolteddy out cot moment kicks through

over a year ago

As has been said the majority are/were equally "proud" to be Scottish and British and as a result happy remaining part of the UK.

Surely the UK national anthem is what should be adopted replacing Flower of Scotland??

over a year ago

"Was using 'Rangers' as an equal example to the tartan clad claymore waving haggis eater view. Nothing more.

You were using Rangers to suit your own agenda , nowhere in this thread did anyone mention tartan clad claymore blah blah blah.

If they did your point may have been validated.

Why don't you just bring religion into it as well ?

My Dad & Brother like myself are Rangers fans they were staunch yes voters I was a no voter.

I'm sure there were numerous families in Scotland like ours who supported different teams were exactly the same."

...us 'no' voters used our head's when voting and not a passionate heart...we don't all have to be Robert the Bruce to be proud Scots....

With the greatest of respect. I feel above depicts exactly that.

The team was a general statement, as was the Robert the Bruce statement.

over a year ago

"English masters lol unless you drivel snp tripe your a slave to england face facts as has been said many times a MAJORITY was reached by the proud people of scotland you want to believe the hype good on you me I prefer a more balanced view and see things as they are I served my country in order that folk can have their views seen and heard so no I wont be sitting in any corner no matter how many teddy out the cot comments are made this post perfect example about the sfa and a national anthem how did it turn to referendum lolteddy out cot moment kicks through"

Just followed it through there, out of curiosity of course. Onny was the first to cast a stone really with his 'yet to smell the coffee snide' à la Ian Smart stylee, as he does. A couple of us merely passed comment that we feel FoS is now not an appropriate song to US personally.

over a year ago

I agree totally, it shouldn't be flower of SCOTLAND... It should be God Save The Queen.. The nation's anthem..Hopefully for another 300 years...

over a year ago

I just sicked a little bit in my mouth there...

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"English masters lol unless you drivel snp tripe your a slave to england face facts as has been said many times a MAJORITY was reached by the proud people of scotland you want to believe the hype good on you me I prefer a more balanced view and see things as they are I served my country in order that folk can have their views seen and heard so no I wont be sitting in any corner no matter how many teddy out the cot comments are made this post perfect example about the sfa and a national anthem how did it turn to referendum lolteddy out cot moment kicks through

Just followed it through there, out of curiosity of course. Onny was the first to cast a stone really with his 'yet to smell the coffee snide' à la Ian Smart stylee, as he does. A couple of us merely passed comment that we feel FoS is now not an appropriate song to US personally. "

The coffee comment was a response to a mention of September. I even included the 'September' comment in my post.

over a year ago

So you feel people should just generally sniff good grade columbium rich roast right?

Fair point. I retract.

over a year ago

Ahh...I'm basking in Britishness at the moment... Hehe..

over a year ago

Aye you must love living up there in InverYES. Be just your cup of English Breakfast.

over a year ago

"Aye you must love living up there in InverYES. Be just your cup of English Breakfast. "

Love it up here...with my union jack jumper on,just call me Billy Britain..hehe...i must say it's great to be a winning voter instead of a crying faced loser...

over a year ago

Well son, 'you' won the battle...

over a year ago

"Well son, 'you' won the battle..."

We won the vote...not a battle..

over a year ago

My point exactly. Keep up.

over a year ago

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda - Beverly Knight.

By *landAnnCouple
over a year ago

Inverness

"As has been said the majority are/were equally "proud" to be Scottish and British and as a result happy remaining part of the UK.

Surely the UK national anthem is what should be adopted replacing Flower of Scotland?? "

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do you mean God Save the Queen..? That lovely little ditty ... which includes the words 'rebellious Scots to crush' .....?

How can that ever be a 'united' kingdom anthem... says it all really..........

over a year ago

"As has been said the majority are/were equally "proud" to be Scottish and British and as a result happy remaining part of the UK.

Surely the UK national anthem is what should be adopted replacing Flower of Scotland??

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do you mean God Save the Queen..? That lovely little ditty ... which includes the words 'rebellious Scots to crush' .....?

How can that ever be a 'united' kingdom anthem... says it all really.........."

Yes I did mean God Save the Queen. I don't agree with that rubbish but just wondered what the proud Brits amongst us thought?

over a year ago

I think it should be scotland the brave or caledonia,have never classed myself as british and have never stood for the queen and never will so god save queen is a def no no for me ,as for the referendum its over and just looking forward to GE and hoping the snp take as many seats as possible so we get all the powers we were promised in the so called vow

By *illi37Woman
over a year ago

glasgow

Caledonia....Scotland the brave... Flower of Scotland,...........Noooo for gods sake lets get with it no more of this tartan tosh ...we are a country of many talents surely we can come up with something to reflect a modern country . and please stop replaying this referendum.....it makes me ashamed of my country, that we seem incapable of accepting a democratic vote

over a year ago

"Caledonia....Scotland the brave... Flower of Scotland,...........Noooo for gods sake lets get with it no more of this tartan tosh ...we are a country of many talents surely we can come up with something to reflect a modern country . and please stop replaying this referendum.....it makes me ashamed of my country, that we seem incapable of accepting a democratic vote "

if you read my post i have moved on from the referendum and accepted the result,as for the anthem we are scottish so the song should reflect that

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"What's the matter with "God save the Queen"...

Throw a bass line in there somewhere and it's all good... "

It's not difficult, easy to harmonise.

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

" And on that matter do you see what is happening today on 11th Feb 2015

"

Yes, I see exactly what's happening today, the oil price is at rock bottom, and an independent Scotland would today be bankrupt!!

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"you all know my views on this topic, so last post on it from myself, if you want further discussion direct with myself then mail me"

HALLELUJAH!!!

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"

Scotland voted....

Result was a big 'NO'..

over a year ago

well god save the queen should not be. why there is still monarchy in this country i will never know. people are on the streets kids go without food but there is always money for them. and any money the bring in via tourism they take back in benifets

over a year ago

Yes, I see exactly what's happening today, the oil price is at rock bottom, and an independent Scotland would today be bankrupt!! "

Wrong.

over a year ago

"well god save the queen should not be. why there is still monarchy in this country i will never know. people are on the streets kids go without food but there is always money for them. and any money the bring in via tourism they take back in benifets"
guid point and may i ask whats great britains anthem ?

over a year ago

So...Scottish anthem...anybody got any ideas?

By *illi37Woman
over a year ago

glasgow

Back to the anthem question children.. as i said previously it requires something new and stirring...no dirges about hills n glens......the Marseilles is my kind of anthem...xx

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"So...Scottish anthem...anybody got any ideas? "

We're No' Awa' Tae Bide Awa'??

over a year ago

Yes, I see exactly what's happening today, the oil price is at rock bottom, and an independent Scotland would today be bankrupt!! "

if it was e yes vote scotland wouldnt be indpendent for another yr so oil price today doesnt matter ,so how would.we be bankrupt ?

By *yrshiremischiefMan
over a year ago

Kilmarnock

I don't know that sports administrators should decide on a National anthem - but if they're looking for a wee tune to play before a game - I'm with the posting for Shangalang.

For a real National Anthem -I don't want anything about crushing Rebellious Scots - I'm for Michael Marra's, 'Hermless', or Brian McNeil's, 'No Gods'.

By *rof SalamanderMan
over a year ago

glasgow

Good call Sir as did i.

over a year ago

"Back to the anthem question children.. as i said previously it requires something new and stirring...no dirges about hills n glens......the Marseilles is my kind of anthem...xx "

I agree totally. The Marseilles is indeed stirring but maybe not the bit about the bloody flag flying and the soldiers dying in the fields. Something rousing...but no desperate lyrics. Lol...

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"......

For a real National Anthem -I don't want anything about crushing Rebellious Scots - I'm for Michael Marra's, 'Hermless', or Brian McNeil's, 'No Gods'."

Two good calls.

The Freedom Come A Ye is another candidate.

over a year ago

"......

For a real National Anthem -I don't want anything about crushing Rebellious Scots - I'm for Michael Marra's, 'Hermless', or Brian McNeil's, 'No Gods'.

Two good calls.

The Freedom Come A Ye is another candidate."

Its a great song.

over a year ago

"Back to the anthem question children.. as i said previously it requires something new and stirring...no dirges about hills n glens......the Marseilles is my kind of anthem...xx

I agree totally. The Marseilles is indeed stirring but maybe not the bit about the bloody flag flying and the soldiers dying in the fields. Something rousing...but no desperate lyrics. Lol..."

yip kinda agree but still think it should have something about scotland about it

over a year ago

"......

Two good calls.

Its a great song."

would i be able to.listen to this song on youtube ?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"......

Two good calls.

Its a great song.

would i be able to.listen to this song on youtube ?"

Yes. All 3 are on YouTube.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Another candidate is The Eskimo Republic.

over a year ago

I voted for "Other" and added in The Proclaimers - 500 miles!

over a year ago

"......

Two good calls.

Its a great song.

would i be able to.listen to this song on youtube ?

Yes. All 3 are on YouTube."

thanks il have wee listen to them

over a year ago

God save the queen....it's our national anthem because we are all British whether your English welsh scottish or from Northern Ireland the queen is our monarch

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"God save the queen....it's our national anthem because we are all British whether your English welsh scottish or from Northern Ireland the queen is our monarch "

This isn't really about a 'new' national anthem. It's about a song to sing at football internationals, 6 Nations, Commonwealth Games etc.

over a year ago

I have a question about God save the queen as a national anthem in general. Will it change to god save the king when she dies or abdicates the thrown sorry if I spelt it wrong. Would be interesting to know what song you would choose then

over a year ago

"God save the queen....it's our national anthem because we are all British whether your English welsh scottish or from Northern Ireland the queen is our monarch

This isn't really about a 'new' national anthem. It's about a song to sing at football internationals, 6 Nations, Commonwealth Games etc."

Do you not think God Save the Queen would be accepted at such events?

over a year ago

It never fails to amaze me at how many people are so willing to publicly publish their narrow minded views!

As for the OP.... I personally think Flower of Scotland, when sung with passion and pride is a great anthem.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"God save the queen....it's our national anthem because we are all British whether your English welsh scottish or from Northern Ireland the queen is our monarch

This isn't really about a 'new' national anthem. It's about a song to sing at football internationals, 6 Nations, Commonwealth Games etc.

Do you not think God Save the Queen would be accepted at such events? "

I don't doubt it would be accepted but there's a case for something to differentiate the four home nations.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I have a question about God save the queen as a national anthem in general. Will it change to god save the king when she dies or abdicates the thrown sorry if I spelt it wrong. Would be interesting to know what song you would choose then"

Yes it does change when the monarch changes gender. God Save The King for Charles and William upcoming.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"I have a question about God save the queen as a national anthem in general. Will it change to god save the king when she dies or abdicates the thrown sorry if I spelt it wrong. Would be interesting to know what song you would choose then"
it can or a whole new anthem can be commisioned

over a year ago

Why does it always have to come down to how we voted ????

The only thing the referendum achieved was to create division where there was none before and people will be labeled how they voted for a generation

I'm a proud no voter and anyone who tells me I'm less Scottish than a Yes voter had no idea what a sense of national pride is

People , grow up the referendum was last year move on

over a year ago

"Why does it always have to come down to how we voted ????

The only thing the referendum achieved was to create division where there was none before and people will be labeled how they voted for a generation

I'm a proud no voter and anyone who tells me I'm less Scottish than a Yes voter had no idea what a sense of national pride is

People , grow up the referendum was last year move on "

I was a yes voter and agree with you regarding the division it has caused. I have no "national pride" anymore (I can smell the coffee) and couldn't honestly care what the national anthem is. The majority are proud to be Part of the UK so the anthem should be GSTQ.

But a national anthem about people fighting and a dieing for a countries independence/freedom is hardly fitting in Scotland and more than a bit embarrassing when it's played/sung.

By *landAnnCouple
over a year ago

Inverness

I don't doubt it would be accepted but there's a case for something to differentiate the four home nations."

God save the Queen is the UK anthem. It is not the British anthem.

There is a difference between the UK and Britain.

Britain and the UK are not the same thing.

Even if Scotland had voted yes, Scots would still be British by virtue of the fact that Scotland is geographically part of the island called Britain.

IMHO British is not a nationality. Britain is not a nation so how can Britain have a 'national' anthem?

And correct... we need separate anthems to differentiate between the 4 'nations' which presently make up the UK.....

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Why does it always have to come down to how we voted ????

People , grow up the referendum was last year move on

I was a yes voter and agree with you regarding the division it has caused. I have no "national pride" anymore (I can smell the coffee) and couldn't honestly care what the national anthem is. The majority are proud to be Part of the UK so the anthem should be GSTQ.

But a national anthem about people fighting and a dieing for a countries independence/freedom is hardly fitting in Scotland and more than a bit embarrassing when it's played/sung."

we still need a national identity and anthem to unite some think that as yes voters sold out to england it should be gone as they didnt show the fighting spirit of scotland I prefer to think we are the same folk just that some of us prefer the status quo until a proper deal is on the table I still identify with fos and hope we rise as a nation some time in the future

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Opps correction no voters sold out lol

over a year ago

"we still need a national identity and anthem to unite some think that as yes voters sold out to england it should be gone as they didnt show the fighting spirit of scotland I prefer to think we are the same folk just that some of us prefer the status quo until a proper deal is on the table I still identify with fos and hope we rise as a nation some time in the future"

But do we need a separate national anthem? I think I'm right in saying Northern Ireland use God Save the Queen? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Think the problem qith thag is so many dont identify with gstq

over a year ago

How about "Boogie Wonderland" disco classic,,it would be soooooooooo fabulous

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"How about "Boogie Wonderland" disco classic,,it would be soooooooooo fabulous "
pmal ahll second that

over a year ago

"How about "Boogie Wonderland" disco classic,,it would be soooooooooo fabulous pmal ahll second that"

Well there we have it then,,BOOGIE WONDERLAND it is

over a year ago

I don't doubt it would be accepted but there's a case for something to differentiate the four home nations.

God save the Queen is the UK anthem. It is not the British anthem.

There is a difference between the UK and Britain.

Britain and the UK are not the same thing.

Even if Scotland had voted yes, Scots would still be British by virtue of the fact that Scotland is geographically part of the island called Britain.

IMHO British is not a nationality. Britain is not a nation so how can Britain have a 'national' anthem?

And correct... we need separate anthems to differentiate between the 4 'nations' which presently make up the UK.....

"

If your from Scotland, England or wales-your British...these three countries make up Great Britain...

The United kingdom includes these countries and Northern Ireland..Britain is a nation of nations,each with their own history and culture...but a nation none the less..

I so wish politics like religion was kept well away from a swinging site..I know everybody has their right to say what they want and comment on stuff but come on...has this thread brought anyone together....doubtful... Iv tried to be a wee bit tongue in cheek and lighthearted but some people don't take it that way...I try and keep my swinging life separate from the rest of my life.also do the same with politics and religion, they are personal to me..I'm here for a good time and fun and not to argue over matters that have no bearing on whether I'm gonna get laid or not...there's enough of this shite on Facebook.. Let's try to keep it there..

over a year ago

"How about "Boogie Wonderland" disco classic,,it would be soooooooooo fabulous pmal ahll second that

Well there we have it then,,BOOGIE WONDERLAND it is "

Ooh yes...with actions please!!

over a year ago

"How about "Boogie Wonderland" disco classic,,it would be soooooooooo fabulous pmal ahll second that

Well there we have it then,,BOOGIE WONDERLAND it is

Ooh yes...with actions please!! "

sounds good to me...

over a year ago

Can see it now...forward hand roll, backward hand roll, point, point, flash, flash. Repeat....

over a year ago

I'll second "if it wisnae fir yer wellies".

Always used to sing that when I was wee.

It's practical, informative and applies to everyone.

Dx

over a year ago

Hey...totally agree..(I know..hehe)...great wee tune...used to listen to it on record when I was a wee boy..whole record was brilliant..Big Banana Feet I think it was called...the one with Ivan the terrible wrestling used to have me rolling about...

over a year ago

"Hey...totally agree..(I know..hehe)...great wee tune...used to listen to it on record when I was a wee boy..whole record was brilliant..Big Banana Feet I think it was called...the one with Ivan the terrible wrestling used to have me rolling about... "

Then a sees it, right there in front o me. A huuuuuuge willy! So what dis a dae? Well a sinks ma teeth richt intae it. And ye know, it's amazing the surge o strength ye get when ye bite yet ain willy.

B

over a year ago

"Hey...totally agree..(I know..hehe)...great wee tune...used to listen to it on record when I was a wee boy..whole record was brilliant..Big Banana Feet I think it was called...the one with Ivan the terrible wrestling used to have me rolling about...

Then a sees it, right there in front o me. A huuuuuuge willy! So what dis a dae? Well a sinks ma teeth richt intae it. And ye know, it's amazing the surge o strength ye get when ye bite yet ain willy.

B"

Aye,that's the one....wee shug,wit a guy..

over a year ago

Was that not when the guy got put in the half pretzel and then the full pretzel?

over a year ago

"Was that not when the guy got put in the half pretzel and then the full pretzel? "

That's the one...

over a year ago

Got to be Scotland the Brave OR Cock of the North.

Flower of Scotland is an atrocious dirge.

over a year ago

"Got to be Scotland the Brave OR Cock of the North.

Flower of Scotland is an atrocious dirge.

"

By *leasure domMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

To show we can laugh at ourselves....

"I'm suffering from Scottishness"

by Dumb Instrument

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Ronnie Browne (the 'other half' of the Corries) reckons Flower of Scotland is bigger than Burns.

Arsehole!

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/arts/news/flower-of-scotland-anthem-will-never-be-replaced-1-3861346

over a year ago

Wild Mountain Thyme ....The Silencers

over a year ago

"Ronnie Browne (the 'other half' of the Corries) reckons Flower of Scotland is bigger than Burns.

Arsehole!

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/arts/news/flower-of-scotland-anthem-will-never-be-replaced-1-3861346"

Willing to bet far more people can recite Flower of Scotland than anything Rabbie Burns ever wrote.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Ronnie Browne (the 'other half' of the Corries) reckons Flower of Scotland is bigger than Burns.

Arsehole!

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/arts/news/flower-of-scotland-anthem-will-never-be-replaced-1-3861346

Willing to bet far more people can recite Flower of Scotland than anything Rabbie Burns ever wrote."

Including A Man's a Man? Auld Lang Syne?

Post new Message to Thread