Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

a9 speed cameras

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

In their wisdom the snp have put them up and they go live in 2 days with the support of loads of police,Scotland unmarked cars operating to,BE careful if you drive anywhere between dunblane and inverness.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

One of the points of these average speed cameras is that they won't need police cars to monitor the A9 so much. Im pretty sure the police have nothing to do with them but they're definitely not needed on the A9. Waste of money and loads of folk told the Scottish government thIs but that idiot Kenny McCaskill, as usual ignored everyone's advice.

over a year ago

"One of the points of these average speed cameras is that they won't need police cars to monitor the A9 so much. Im pretty sure the police have nothing to do with them but they're definitely not needed on the A9. Waste of money and loads of folk told the Scottish government thIs but that idiot Kenny McCaskill, as usual ignored everyone's advice."
well said sameroom...

over a year ago

But bearing in mind im sure the 50mph limit only applies to hgv's,national speed limits apply for non-hgv vehicles,but first tesco cunt i come across dawdling at 40mph is getting reported for causing an obstruction

By *nvercoupleCouple
over a year ago

Inverness

If it saves 1 life then they are worth it.

Drivers that speed should be held accountable for breaking the law and risking the lives of other road users.

By *ouise and jamieCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"But bearing in mind im sure the 50mph limit only applies to hgv's,national speed limits apply for non-hgv vehicles,but first tesco cunt i come across dawdling at 40mph is getting reported for causing an obstruction"

On the single carriageway parts the so called tesco cunts will be limited to 40 as will all other truck drivers. They have to obey limits for there class of motor. If you are stuck behind one, tough.

over a year ago

"But bearing in mind im sure the 50mph limit only applies to hgv's,national speed limits apply for non-hgv vehicles,but first tesco cunt i come across dawdling at 40mph is getting reported for causing an obstruction

On the single carriageway parts the so called tesco cunts will be limited to 40 as will all other truck drivers. They have to obey limits for there class of motor. If you are stuck behind one, tough. "

think if you go and look at it the limit for hgv's is being upped to 50,its a trial to resuce congestion and road deaths,so the 40mph restriction is not in force on the a9 as of tuesday

By *ouise and jamieCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"But bearing in mind im sure the 50mph limit only applies to hgv's,national speed limits apply for non-hgv vehicles,but first tesco cunt i come across dawdling at 40mph is getting reported for causing an obstruction

On the single carriageway parts the so called tesco cunts will be limited to 40 as will all other truck drivers. They have to obey limits for there class of motor. If you are stuck behind one, tough. think if you go and look at it the limit for hgv's is being upped to 50,its a trial to resuce congestion and road deaths,so the 40mph restriction is not in force on the a9 as of tuesday"

Didn't know that. But both asda and tesco limit there motors to maximum 40mph on all roads as company policy. Or so the sign on the rear or there motor says

over a year ago

On the single carriageway parts the so called tesco cunts will be limited to 40 as will all other truck drivers. They have to obey limits for there class of motor. If you are stuck behind one, tough. think if you go and look at it the limit for hgv's is being upped to 50,its a trial to resuce congestion and road deaths,so the 40mph restriction is not in force on the a9 as of tuesday"

over a year ago

not only your speed to worry about

Everyone who drives better ensure they have paid and updated the road tax, you don't have to display a tax disc anymore, camera recognition picks up number plates and ensures the registration plate has road tax

average speed camera's are not only for speed.

hope I cheered your day up

over a year ago

On the single carriageway parts the so called tesco cunts will be limited to 40 as will all other truck drivers. They have to obey limits for there class of motor. If you are stuck behind one, tough. think if you go and look at it the limit for hgv's is being upped to 50,its a trial to resuce congestion and road deaths,so the 40mph restriction is not in force on the a9 as of tuesday

Didn't know that. But both asda and tesco limit there motors to maximum 40mph on all roads as company policy. Or so the sign on the rear or there motor says "

yeah but that was in keeping with the national speed limit for hgv's on single and dual carriageways,therefore if they travel at 40mph on the a9 as of tuesday they should be culpable to being charged for not making proper speed and progress(which incidentally i failed my driving test for years ago )

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

These cameras won't solve the main cause of accidents on the A9 - driver frustration.

Yes HGVs are to be allowed to do 50mph like all other vehicles but it still won't stop car drivers wanting to get round them when they can. That's where risky overtake manouveres become fatal accidents.

So, everyone be a little patient, leave more time for your journeys, and come home in one piece please

over a year ago

Having been down to Glasgow and back this weekend, it was once again demonstrated to me that the problem is not and has never been excess speed. Rather people in regular cars who believe that 40mph is an acceptable speed to travel at. Or who get dug in like ticks behind a slow moving truck and are unwilling or unable to overtake, thus making it more difficult for those who can and want to.

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

On the single carriageway parts the so called tesco cunts will be limited to 40 as will all other truck drivers. They have to obey limits for there class of motor. If you are stuck behind one, tough. think if you go and look at it the limit for hgv's is being upped to 50,its a trial to resuce congestion and road deaths,so the 40mph restriction is not in force on the a9 as of tuesday

Didn't know that. But both asda and tesco limit there motors to maximum 40mph on all roads as company policy. Or so the sign on the rear or there motor says yeah but that was in keeping with the national speed limit for hgv's on single and dual carriageways,therefore if they travel at 40mph on the a9 as of tuesday they should be culpable to being charged for not making proper speed and progress(which incidentally i failed my driving test for years ago )"

Whilst I agree with you, I'm not sure the police can actually enforce it as this is only a trial on one route

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Having been down to Glasgow and back this weekend, it was once again demonstrated to me that the problem is not and has never been excess speed. Rather people in regular cars who believe that 40mph is an acceptable speed to travel at. Or who get dug in like ticks behind a slow moving truck and are unwilling or unable to overtake, thus making it more difficult for those who can and want to. "

Hence why the road is being upgraded to dual carriageway. Unfortunately, not quick enough in my view though

over a year ago

Hgv.s speed limits are as follows

40 mph single road

50 mph dual carriageway

56 mph motorway

Tesco and asda ridgidly stick to the limits.

Thats all vechiles over 7.5t

all information is the highway code book that all drivers should be reading regulary to keep themselfes upto date with the rules and regulations.

a9 speed cameras welcomed they do a great job in slowing the manaics down.

excellent job on the a75 strannraer to preswick road.

hope the info helps

moral of the story is READ DIGEST UNDERSTAND YOUR HIGHWAY CODE BOOK.

over a year ago

"Hgv.s speed limits are as follows

40 mph single road

50 mph dual carriageway

56 mph motorway

all information is the highway code book that all drivers should be reading regulary to keep themselfes upto date with the rules and regulations.

hope the info helps

moral of the story is READ DIGEST UNDERSTAND YOUR HIGHWAY CODE BOOK."

Psst the highway code needs updating, listen to the radio and you will hear about the 40mph limit being raised

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

40 mph single road

50 mph dual carriageway

56 mph motorway

hope the info helps

Close, the speed limit for HGVs on a motorway is actually 60 mph. But we are restricted to 56 mph by speed limiters as its 90kmh. It's a European law.

But the A9 along its length from dunblane to Inverness will have a different speed limit for HGVs. It will indeed be 50mph

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Oh, and tesco and asda don't rigidly stick to the speed limit on the motorway, they make their drivers stick to 50 as it improves their fuel consumption allegedly

over a year ago

Thats why i said 56 mph because of the retrictions.

im class 1 dvr

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Thats why i said 56 mph because of the retrictions.

im class 1 dvr"

But the Highway Code still says 60

over a year ago

40 mph single road

50 mph dual carriageway

56 mph motorway

hope the info helps

yes and now go look at the revised speed limits for the trial

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"One of the points of these average speed cameras is that they won't need police cars to monitor the A9 so much. Im pretty sure the police have nothing to do with them but they're definitely not needed on the A9. Waste of money and loads of folk told the Scottish government thIs but that idiot Kenny McCaskill, as usual ignored everyone's advice."

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"But bearing in mind im sure the 50mph limit only applies to hgv's,national speed limits apply for non-hgv vehicles,but first tesco cunt i come across dawdling at 40mph is getting reported for causing an obstruction"

Bearing in mind that a lot of truckers get paid by the hour, I don't understand why more of them don't simply pull into lay-bys at regular intervals. It would address many of the relevant issues, excess speed being well down the list.

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"Having been down to Glasgow and back this weekend, it was once again demonstrated to me that the problem is not and has never been excess speed. Rather people in regular cars who believe that 40mph is an acceptable speed to travel at. Or who get dug in like ticks behind a slow moving truck and are unwilling or unable to overtake, thus making it more difficult for those who can and want to. "

over a year ago

Both speeding drivers and slow driving cause accidents. Slow drivers pulling into the side of the road would cause less road rage though, driven that road so many times, and every single time stuck behind a massive queue with a big lorry in front.

There are police warning for these vehicles and they are disobeyed constantly. The Police should be pulling slow drivers as well as fast ones.

over a year ago

"Both speeding drivers and slow driving cause accidents. Slow drivers pulling into the side of the road would cause less road rage though, driven that road so many times, and every single time stuck behind a massive queue with a big lorry in front.

There are police warning for these vehicles and they are disobeyed constantly. The Police should be pulling slow drivers as well as fast ones."

,ane easier option as well would be a blanket limit of 50mph for everything

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Bearing in mind that a lot of truckers get paid by the hour, I don't understand why more of them don't simply pull into lay-bys at regular intervals. It would address many of the relevant issues, excess speed being well down the list. "

If only it was that easy bothy

The amount of pressure put on drivers to 'make' a deadline is phenomenal these days.

But when it is safe to do so, I always try to let others pass me safely

over a year ago

"Both speeding drivers and slow driving cause accidents. Slow drivers pulling into the side of the road would cause less road rage though, driven that road so many times, and every single time stuck behind a massive queue with a big lorry in front.

There are police warning for these vehicles and they are disobeyed constantly. The Police should be pulling slow drivers as well as fast ones."

It's not the trucks that are so much the problem. If the driver of the car immediately behind doesn't want, or is not skilled enough to make an overtake, then they can add valuable metres onto the overtake of the car behind them. And that's how the big streams of traffic build up. I've seen trucks pull over, and the car behind carry on at the same speed.

over a year ago

On the single carriageway parts the so called tesco cunts will be limited to 40 as will all other truck drivers. They have to obey limits for there class of motor. If you are stuck behind one, tough. "

Limit is being lifted to 50 for all HGVs for that road. However, Tesco, having driven for them, are pretty strict on the 40mph - more out of cost saving than life saving sadly. They are closely monitored with a tracker in the cab.

I think the cameras are a good thing personally. Having driven that road umpteen times a week for the last three years it will hopefully stop people making idiotic manoeuvres. These are ultimately what cause so many deaths on that road and the 82.

If you're driving the A9, leave earlier. Simples.

Better late than dead on time - as my old headmaster used to say.

B x

over a year ago

On the single carriageway parts the so called tesco cunts will be limited to 40 as will all other truck drivers. They have to obey limits for there class of motor. If you are stuck behind one, tough.

Limit is being lifted to 50 for all HGVs for that road. However, Tesco, having driven for them, are pretty strict on the 40mph - more out of cost saving than life saving sadly. They are closely monitored with a tracker in the cab.

I think the cameras are a good thing personally. Having driven that road umpteen times a week for the last three years it will hopefully stop people making idiotic manoeuvres. These are ultimately what cause so many deaths on that road and the 82.

If you're driving the A9, leave earlier. Simples.

Better late than dead on time - as my old headmaster used to say.

B x"

well said

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

There are police warning for these vehicles and they are disobeyed constantly. The Police should be pulling slow drivers as well as fast ones.

It's not the trucks that are so much the problem. If the driver of the car immediately behind doesn't want, or is not skilled enough to make an overtake, then they can add valuable metres onto the overtake of the car behind them. And that's how the big streams of traffic build up. I've seen trucks pull over, and the car behind carry on at the same speed. "

By *oznrayCouple
over a year ago

helensburgh

Bearing in mind that a lot of truckers get paid by the hour, I don't understand why more of them don't simply pull into lay-bys at regular intervals. It would address many of the relevant issues, excess speed being well down the list. "

why should a driver of an hgv pull in at regular intervals they are going at the speed the law states, they also are limited on drivers hours so every time they pull in to let an impatient driver past they just lost valuable driving time, also as has been said the deadlines put on drivers to get from drop to drop is usually unrealistic at best

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Its called a speed limit not a you must travel at this speed if a driver car or truck feels the limits to fast they travel at a speed they feel is safe bumper huggers are pains in the ass

over a year ago

"Its called a speed limit not a you must travel at this speed if a driver car or truck feels the limits to fast they travel at a speed they feel is safe bumper huggers are pains in the ass "
i agree with you bit there is a limit to how slow you go surely

over a year ago

Shit, me and The Bandit are gonna be over-run by Smokies...

over a year ago

"Its called a speed limit not a you must travel at this speed if a driver car or truck feels the limits to fast they travel at a speed they feel is safe bumper huggers are pains in the ass i agree with you bit there is a limit to how slow you go surely"

They have that in the states. A Mr. Magoo can be lethal pootling along at 50...

over a year ago

The new speed limit on A 9 for hgv is 50 and apart from a 9 the speed limit is single carageway is 40 duel is 50 overeat is 60 and we can't do 60 so what the bloody point .so be warned my neighbour word on the cameras on A9 now some work some are dummies

By *horstrollMan
over a year ago

Caprona

Recent trip south on the A1(M) was restricted to 50mph with cameras. The number of hgvs overtaking, made me think so much for cameras.

A9 is one long road north, compare to train ticket no wonder folk drive it.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Recent trip south on the A1(M) was restricted to 50mph with cameras. The number of hgvs overtaking, made me think so much for cameras.

A9 is one long road north, compare to train ticket no wonder folk drive it."

I hate driving the A9. I'd rather walk.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Reg used to do 140-150mph on this road going fishing with my pals when I was younger,think back in horror lol

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

Anybody who's seen the A9 cameras, are they by any chance in groups? The A77 between Kilmarnock and Girvan, the cameras are in groups, and outwith the groups the road isn't covered.

The authorities say the whole 20 odd miles is covered, but it's a classic ambiguity!

over a year ago

Don't hang back old son...tell us what you really think of them.

over a year ago

"Reg used to do 140-150mph on this road going fishing with my pals when I was younger,think back in horror lol"

Really! What sort of spaceship were you using at the time?

over a year ago

"Anybody who's seen the A9 cameras, are they by any chance in groups? The A77 between Kilmarnock and Girvan, the cameras are in groups, and outwith the groups the road isn't covered.

The authorities say the whole 20 odd miles is covered, but it's a classic ambiguity!"

Unfortunately they are not in groups, they are spread out, I (Mr) use the A9 a lot, and have learnt there is no point in hammering it anymore, I leave earlier and live with it

over a year ago

well said

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Word is MacAskill's head is on Nicola's chopping block.

By *eno2Man
over a year ago

Angus

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"One of the points of these average speed cameras is that they won't need police cars to monitor the A9 so much. Im pretty sure the police have nothing to do with them but they're definitely not needed on the A9. Waste of money and loads of folk told the Scottish government thIs but that idiot Kenny McCaskill, as usual ignored everyone's advice. well said "

But everyone knows it's the bad driving that causes accidents, not speed. Yes speed is a factor, but it's the poor judgement of distances when overtaking or driving like an idiot which are the main causes. These can NOT be detected by a camera, but they can be detected by a human in a car with blue flashing lights.

But then the human won't make as much money as the cameras so you can draw your own conclusions about it

By *ch WellMan
over a year ago

Scotland

As some others have said speed isn't the always the main factor in accidents especially on a road like a9. Driver frustration and lack of concentration are more likely causes and average speed cameras are gonna make that worse with folks eyes glued to the speedo rather than on the road.

Makes a change from Kenny "I got lifted at Wembley for being pissed" mckaskill attacking law abiding drinkers though. The man's a fool and a hypocrite

over a year ago

"

Makes a change from Kenny "I got lifted at Wembley for being pissed" mckaskill attacking law abiding drinkers though. The man's a fool and a hypocrite

"

If you feel you can do a better job and you have the education, experience & qualifications then why do you not step in and do a better job

Very easy to criticise someone when they are not around to defend themselves

Fact is; the camera's start today, time will tell if they help or make matters worse, if it is the later, they will be removed, lets just see how things go from today.

By *ch WellMan
over a year ago

Scotland

"

If you feel you can do a better job and you have the education, experience & qualifications then why do you not step in and do a better job

Fact is; the camera's start today, time will tell if they help or make matters worse, if it is the later, they will be removed, lets just see how things go from today.

. "

Whatever you say Kenny

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"Word is MacAskill's head is on Nicola's chopping block."

And it couldn't come quick enough!

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"

Fact is; the camera's start today, time will tell if they help or make matters worse, if it is the later, they will be removed, lets just see how things go from today. "

D'you really think the politicians will admit making a mistake?

By *andACouple
over a year ago

glasgow

Not sure how he's still in his post after having to scrap his plans to do away with corroboration. Something that had almost no support at all.

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"Not sure how he's still in his post after having to scrap his plans to do away with corroboration. Something that had almost no support at all."

His arrogance at times is breathtaking!

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

One thing which happens every year, and the cameras won't make a blind bit of difference to, is the foreign tourist turning right out of a side road, onto the wrong side of the road, and right into the path of an innocent motorist.

And I bet they don't take these accidents out of their dodgy statistics!!

over a year ago

Are these in operation on the m9 like between the Stirling roundabout and Broxden roundabout?

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"Are these in operation on the m9 like between the Stirling roundabout and Broxden roundabout? "

No, the A9 from Dunblane to Perth, then the single carriageway stretches of the A9 between Perth and Inverness.

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Are these in operation on the m9 like between the Stirling roundabout and Broxden roundabout?

No, the A9 from Dunblane to Perth, then the single carriageway stretches of the A9 between Perth and Inverness."

I thought it was the entire length of the A9 from the top of the M9 at Dublane/Stirling all the way to Inverness

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"Are these in operation on the m9 like between the Stirling roundabout and Broxden roundabout?

No, the A9 from Dunblane to Perth, then the single carriageway stretches of the A9 between Perth and Inverness.

I thought it was the entire length of the A9 from the top of the M9 at Dublane/Stirling all the way to Inverness "

That's what I thought too Andy, from all the reports, but was up there yesterday and going down the big dip at Daviot, what's sitting at the bottom but a camera van, couldn't believe it. Then realised that I hadn't seen a camera for a while, and never saw another. Then on 6 o'clock news, reporter said it's only the dualled stretches that are covered.

over a year ago

"Are these in operation on the m9 like between the Stirling roundabout and Broxden roundabout? "

From Broxden roundabout heading North to Inverness the first average speed camera is located at Luncarty

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

I thought it was the entire length of the A9 from the top of the M9 at Dublane/Stirling all the way to Inverness

That's what I thought too Andy, from all the reports, but was up there yesterday and going down the big dip at Daviot, what's sitting at the bottom but a camera van, couldn't believe it. Then realised that I hadn't seen a camera for a while, and never saw another. Then on 6 o'clock news, reporter said it's only the dualled stretches that are covered."

Seems a bit pointless to me as an accident prevention method

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

Was also conscious yesterday that you have to watch that you don't go too much over 60 when overtaking, otherwise you have to slow down to below 50 to correct your average. Madness!

By *ch WellMan
over a year ago

Scotland

As theyre front facing though theyre great for motorbikers who can fly through at 300 mile an oor if they like

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Was also conscious yesterday that you have to watch that you don't go too much over 60 when overtaking, otherwise you have to slow down to below 50 to correct your average. Madness! "

That's my point - why put them in places you can safely overtake and not in the single carriageway sections where it's more dangerous. Surely it should be the other way round

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"Was also conscious yesterday that you have to watch that you don't go too much over 60 when overtaking, otherwise you have to slow down to below 50 to correct your average. Madness!

That's my point - why put them in places you can safely overtake and not in the single carriageway sections where it's more dangerous. Surely it should be the other way round "

The problem is that to make a quick overtake of something going at 50, it's not unusual to go up to the high 60s. Having made the pass, you're then going to have to slow considerably to get your average speed between cameras back down to 60.

A regular problem on the A9 is a couple of 'wandering willies' following an HGV doing 45/50, but leaving just a normal space between the vehicles. So you're faced with 2 options; passing them all in one manoeuvre, which will almost certainly involve a bit of high speed, or one at a time and having to force your way back in between said 'willies', often incurring their wrath.

All part of the fun of the A9!!

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Put the cameras ALL they way along, NO overtaking and EVERYONE doing 50.

Problem solved

(Just be thankful you don't all drive in and around London/M25!!!!! )

over a year ago

where's London?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"As theyre front facing though theyre great for motorbikers who can fly through at 300 mile an oor if they like"

The BBC video shows cameras facing both ways.

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"As theyre front facing though theyre great for motorbikers who can fly through at 300 mile an oor if they like

The BBC video shows cameras facing both ways."

They appear to have economised and each pole/gantry has cameras monitoring both sides/directions It's the first time I've seen this.

Post new Message to Thread