Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Poor Paul Gazza

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

ill again, we only hear about his struggles now, so sad.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Had the pleasure of his company a few times and a very generous man to those who were not as fortunate as him. He is one of the best guys anyone could ever meet.

over a year ago

There is nothing poor about him, he won't except help, his. Choice

over a year ago

"There is nothing poor about him, he won't except help, his. Choice"
Its not a choice thing, its addiction in its most evil, cunning, deceptive guise.

Why dyou think, some folk can have,,"a drink", and some stop only when ttold time to go home?

Whether yor a onne a day drinker or a one at the weekend, guess wat, you do te same as him, jstify why u deserve a drink, then have that drink, but he as we see is worst case scenario.

over a year ago

He has had more help and he just throws it back in everyone's face,

Yes I know it's an addiction am not bloody stupid,

over a year ago

"He has had more help and he just throws it back in everyone's face,

"

Ok, what would you do, if for example at a social, i swipe yer drink away, n say here , have a sparkly water? Slap me.

Why? Because you agreed to not drink that nite, bt told yerself one wont hurt, then 5 wont hrt either?

Its addiction as i say, and it beats all, does'nt discriminate, rich n famous, intelligent or not.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"There is nothing poor about him, he won't except help, his. ChoiceIts not a choice thing, its addiction in its most evil, cunning, deceptive guise.

Why dyou think, some folk can have,,"a drink", and some stop only when ttold time to go home?

Whether yor a onne a day drinker or a one at the weekend, guess wat, you do te same as him, jstify why u deserve a drink, then have that drink, but he as we see is worst case scenario."

Serious question....do you think there is something in alcohol that gets you addicted...like nicotine etc?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"He has had more help and he just throws it back in everyone's face,

Ok, what would you do, if for example at a social, i swipe yer drink away, n say here , have a sparkly water? Slap me.

Why? Because you agreed to not drink that nite, bt told yerself one wont hurt, then 5 wont hrt either?

Its addiction as i say, and it beats all, does'nt discriminate, rich n famous, intelligent or not."

Drink isn't the be all and end all for some people and sparkly water is fine if you are not an alcoholic.

over a year ago

"There is nothing poor about him, he won't except help, his. Choice"

As someone who's own mother is an alcoholic who (by your logic) also refuses to accept help through various relapses.

That really was one of the most ignorant things I've ever read.

By *ustcutieWoman
over a year ago

edinburgh

"There is nothing poor about him, he won't except help, his. ChoiceIts not a choice thing, its addiction in its most evil, cunning, deceptive guise.

Whether yor a onne a day drinker or a one at the weekend, guess wat, you do te same as him, jstify why u deserve a drink, then have that drink, but he as we see is worst case scenario.

Serious question....do you think there is something in alcohol that gets you addicted...like nicotine etc?"

Good question.... Personally I think it's the feeling you get that's the addiction rather than it being addictive in itself

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Serious question....do you think there is something in alcohol that gets you addicted...like nicotine etc?

Good question.... Personally I think it's the feeling you get that's the addiction rather than it being addictive in itself "

I would say it is it an addictive personality rather than something in drink that makes you addicted, otherwise all of us would be addicted if we had a drink.

over a year ago

Good question.... Personally I think it's the feeling you get that's the addiction rather than it being addictive in itself "

TThere is one simple theory that,, some may relate to this. Those, your first ever drink, you go, ewww yuk, and shudder, often reverse that reaction and end up craing it, loving it.

over a year ago

My keyboards playing up, H, U and O key are hit or miss,,lol, not d*unk.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

" TThere is one simple theory that,, some may relate to this. Those, your first ever drink, you go, ewww yuk, and shudder, often reverse that reaction and end up craing it, loving it."

But that could be said for me now liking cauliflower when I said eewww yuk when I first tasted it.

So serious question, what do you think is in all alcohol to make it addictive?

over a year ago

Serious question....do you think there is something in alcohol that gets you addicted...like nicotine etc?"

Its an addictive substance, so is sugar, salt etc.

Latest thing is smartphone addiction, people who forget their phones, separated from them start to imagine they hear texts etc, not kidding.

over a year ago

Well I must be ignorant,

No one forced him to drink after he was sober for a while, he was the one that picked up that glass,

Yes I like a drink but I know when I have had enough,

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Bloody hell....imagine being addicted to your phone

Ok so if there is an addictive substabce in alcohol...why don;t we all become alcoholics?

over a year ago

Good question.... Personally I think it's the feeling you get that's the addiction rather than it being addictive in itself

I would say it is it an addictive personality rather than something in drink that makes you addicted, otherwise all of us would be addicted if we had a drink."

I agree wholeheartedly. I know people who have replaced one addiction with another. An addictive personality is an illness often unseen. Some people have a stunning lack of compassion. There but for the grace of god......

over a year ago

easily led and then deserted by those who led him, a real shame it has come to this

over a year ago

" TThere is one simple theory that,, some may relate to this. Those, your first ever drink, you go, ewww yuk, and shudder, often reverse that reaction and end up craing it, loving it.

But that could be said for me now liking cauliflower when I said eewww yuk when I first tasted it.

So serious question, what do you think is in all alcohol to make it addictive?"

Technically, its an aneasthetic, numbs the senses, but its also a depressant. that'll be the hagover phase usually.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Well I must be ignorant,

No one forced him to drink after he was sober for a while, he was the one that picked up that glass,

"

Ah I think when people can't get by without a drink it is more hard to stop.

I still think it is probably started by an addictive personality rather than an addiction in the drink.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"easily led and then deserted by those who led him, a real shame it has come to this"

That I agree with ( although I think he was a drinker anyway ) It is a shame as he sounds like he is a lovely man when he isn't drinking.

over a year ago

do any off us know when we have had enough i worked as a pub manager for 10 years and don't tink we really do how many times have you woke up and thought why did i drink so much me personally every time i drink

over a year ago

Again talking from personal experience.

Alcoholism is rarely the only problem. In the case of my Mam she also struggles with severe depression (which is also the case with Gazza, and also was the case with Robin Williams which ultimately drove him to suicide).

The depression can be kicked off by ANYTHING. Big or small, and usually we had absolutely no idea what it was. Could be something monumental (the original thing that set me mam off was the death of her dad, and then never fully got over it) or something tiny (a customer being a dickhead at work or whatever).

The problem that comes next is how to cope with it? My mam had no coping mechanism, she didn't know how to talk to people about it (which ultimately lead to the breakdown of her marriage to my dad), she got it into her head that the whole world was against her, and the only way that she knew how to cope was drink. For her it "made the pain go away" (although we all know that it really, really doesn't). If she drank so much that she couldn't remember what happened, then it didn't happen. She's doing a lot better now but still relapses every few months.

It's been many, many years of this that we've battled with now. Therapy has helped a lot, drugs haven't (anti-depressants are apparently horrible to be on she's told me).

But the main issue we need to face is people like the couple that replied above vindicating the sufferers of these mental DISEASES (and that is the key word, it is NOT A CHOICE), because they are already suffereing enough that when they feel they're being judged by everyone who looks at them, what's going to convince them that anyone can help?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I would say it is it an addictive personality rather than something in drink that makes you addicted, otherwise all of us would be addicted if we had a drink.

I agree wholeheartedly. I know people who have replaced one addiction with another. An addictive personality is an illness often unseen. ......"

Exactly what I was getting at. If it wasn't drink it would be something else.

over a year ago

"Bloody hell....imagine being addicted to your phone

Ok so if there is an addictive substabce in alcohol...why don;t we all become alcoholics?"

Thats the mystery, medical fact that intelligent people become victim to deppression more than most, Robin Williams, classic example, why? We dont know yet.

over a year ago

"easily led and then deserted by those who led him, a real shame it has come to this

That I agree with ( although I think he was a drinker anyway ) It is a shame as he sounds like he is a lovely man when he isn't drinking. "

he was a daftie and people who should have known better led him on, and I agree that he seems like a good guy apart from what drink has done to him

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ok so if there is an addictive substabce in alcohol...why don;t we all become alcoholics?Thats the mystery, medical fact that intelligent people become victim to deppression more than most, Robin Williams, classic example, why? We dont know yet."

That is a whole different issue altogether though really.

I am off to google to see if any reports of something in booze to get addicted to as it is puzzling me now.

over a year ago

"Well I must be ignorant,

"

Then you should consider yourself very fortunate. My late and adored father was an alcoholic....who himself never sought help. At one time he thought he knew when he had had enough. Circumstances and situations change. If it was a less controversial illness would sympathy be more forthcoming I wonder?.....

By *andACouple
over a year ago

glasgow

"Again talking from personal experience.

Alcoholism is rarely the only problem. In the case of my Mam she also struggles with severe depression (which is also the case with Gazza, and also was the case with Robin Williams which ultimately drove him to suicide).

The depression can be kicked off by ANYTHING. Big or small, and usually we had absolutely no idea what it was. Could be something monumental (the original thing that set me mam off was the death of her dad, and then never fully got over it) or something tiny (a customer being a dickhead at work or whatever).

The problem that comes next is how to cope with it? My mam had no coping mechanism, she didn't know how to talk to people about it (which ultimately lead to the breakdown of her marriage to my dad), she got it into her head that the whole world was against her, and the only way that she knew how to cope was drink. For her it "made the pain go away" (although we all know that it really, really doesn't). If she drank so much that she couldn't remember what happened, then it didn't happen. She's doing a lot better now but still relapses every few months.

It's been many, many years of this that we've battled with now. Therapy has helped a lot, drugs haven't (anti-depressants are apparently horrible to be on she's told me).

But the main issue we need to face is people like the couple that replied above vindicating the sufferers of these mental DISEASES (and that is the key word, it is NOT A CHOICE), because they are already suffereing enough that when they feel they're being judged by everyone who looks at them, what's going to convince them that anyone can help?"

I wish you both the best.

over a year ago

Here are a few things i knew as i posted this.

People classing it as,,, addiction, people calling it, "his own downfall".

Best of all, the "i drink i know when to stop", folks.

The very fact he keeps on ending up a mess highlights the fact its a disease.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ok so if there is an addictive substabce in alcohol...why don;t we all become alcoholics?Thats the mystery, medical fact that intelligent people become victim to deppression more than most, Robin Williams, classic example, why? We dont know yet.

I am off to google to see if any reports of something in booze to get addicted to as it is puzzling me now. "

I found this one a website that I can't link to. It is !howstuff works ! if anyone wants to read all of it....but basically it is the person themself and not what is in the drink.

"How Does Someone Become an Alcoholic?

Why is it that some people can drink socially and not become addicted while others become alcoholics? The reason has to do with a combination of genetic, physiological, psychological and social factors."

over a year ago

Ok so if there is an addictive substabce in alcohol...why don;t we all become alcoholics?Thats the mystery, medical fact that intelligent people become victim to deppression more than most, Robin Williams, classic example, why? We dont know yet.

I am off to google to see if any reports of something in booze to get addicted to as it is puzzling me now.

I found this one a website that I can't link to. It is !howstuff works ! if anyone wants to read all of it....but basically it is the person themself and not what is in the drink.

Why is it that some people can drink socially and not become addicted while others become alcoholics? The reason has to do with a combination of genetic, physiological, psychological and social factors."

"

Yes, often doctors cant decide to treat the deppression or the alcohol addiction first, both are closesly related.

over a year ago

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

over a year ago

I Mrs dlt suffers from severe depression, and I can have a good drink, yes am a binge drink,which can make me over sensitive to somethings that don't normally bother me,

But you don't see the media going,'awwwwww that's a shame'

If he was a normal person with a problem, no one would care,

over a year ago

"I Mrs dlt suffers from severe depression, and I can have a good drink, yes am a binge drink,which can make me over sensitive to somethings that don't normally bother me,

"

why would you say hes not normal ? His heart beats like ours he has feelings like ours only difference is he was once famous , doesn't make him not normal, pretty sad really

over a year ago

"God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

"

over a year ago

As a long time sufferer from chronic depression myself it gives me an empathy and deep sympathy for anyone.... celebrity or not....who also suffers. Very often, but by no means always, addictive illness can accompany depressive or other mental illness. My father was a flawed but wonderful person who taught me that you can never fully understand anothers suffering or the reasons for it.....only have compassion. Celebrities are real people too...but they have the misfortune to be openly criticised and scorned.

over a year ago

Ok so if there is an addictive substabce in alcohol...why don;t we all become alcoholics?"

Alcohol, nicotine, drugs......why can some take them or leave them when others become addicted? Nobody knows the answer. Alcohol is responsible for more admissions to a&e than the other two & causes more deaths.

R

over a year ago

"I Mrs dlt suffers from severe depression, and I can have a good drink, yes am a binge drink,which can make me over sensitive to somethings that don't normally bother me,

why would you say hes not normal ? His heart beats like ours he has feelings like ours only difference is he was once famous , doesn't make him not normal, pretty sad really "

Ok wrong word using normal, we are all normal just with different wiring, I meant not in the media light,

over a year ago

"As a long time sufferer from chronic depression myself it gives me an empathy and deep sympathy for anyone.... celebrity or not....who also suffers. Very often, but by no means always, addictive illness can accompany depressive or other mental illness. My father was a flawed but wonderful person who taught me that you can never fully understand anothers suffering or the reasons for it.....only have compassion. Celebrities are real people too...but they have the misfortune to be openly criticised and scorned."

over a year ago

This could be totally turned to depression something that paul suffers , why are people depressed ? Is it because one doesnt like things that work against them or doesnt have the energy to fight when things are really so positive but only they cant see it and pills work better ..

The obese blame it on overeating when cake is constanly mentioned to all newbies when we all know its a sin..

or the skinny get blamed of being anorexic when some just clearly have a repulse of being fat...

I/we are addicted to alcohol and recently have been put in positions where it isnt nice smell taste and appearance ,we are booked into allen carrs class in a few weeks and hopefully shall be clean.

Addiction is a horrible thing public eye or not until you admit you smoke drink or over eat to much no one is interested and will always have an option , such a shame that so many lives are ruined in the process of denial , one should never judge noone when no one is perfect .

we are guilty of judging but we are far from perfect and cant stand those that think they are the shiney happy people

over a year ago

"This could be totally turned to depression something that paul suffers , why are people depressed ? Is it because one doesnt like things that work against them or doesnt have the energy to fight when things are really so positive but only they cant see it and pills work better ..

The obese blame it on overeating when cake is constanly mentioned to all newbies when we all know its a sin..

or the skinny get blamed of being anorexic when some just clearly have a repulse of being fat...

I/we are addicted to alcohol and recently have been put in positions where it isnt nice smell taste and appearance ,we are booked into allen carrs class in a few weeks and hopefully shall be clean.

Addiction is a horrible thing public eye or not until you admit you smoke drink or over eat to much no one is interested and will always have an option , such a shame that so many lives are ruined in the process of denial , one should never judge noone when no one is perfect .nicotine not alcohol lol we are to busy with work to be alcoholics but smoke way to much to healthy

we are guilty of judging but we are far from perfect and cant stand those that think they are the shiney happy people "

over a year ago

Cant feel sorry for an alcoholic.

Alcoholism isnt a desease because a desease can be cured or treated, it's an addiction so it's his choice he put himself where he is he could've stopped at any time but chose to stop for a bit then right back on it. He does look terrible though. Dont be judgmental of me for the comment I just have a problem with alkies

over a year ago

I would hate being famous. Everyone has an opinion of you. Must make it all the worse.

over a year ago

"Cant feel sorry for an alcoholic.

Alcoholism isnt a desease because a desease can be cured or treated, it's an addiction so it's his choice he put himself where he is he could've stopped at any time but chose to stop for a bit then right back on it. He does look terrible though. Dont be judgmental of me for the comment I just have a problem with alkies"

No-ones saying pity an alkie, that's the WORST thing you can do. You can however demonstrate some empathy and compassion for another human being who, as you so rightly pointed out, is an addict and who's addiction is killing him very slowly. I've worked with alcoholics and drug addicts for many years, I would not wish their "demons" on anyone!

over a year ago

Alcoholism isnt a desease because a desease can be cured or treated, it's an addiction so it's his choice he put himself where he is he could've stopped at any time but chose to stop for a bit then right back on it. He does look terrible though. Dont be judgmental of me for the comment I just have a problem with alkies"

In my job, I've worked with people addicted to a range of substsnces. Alcohol addiction is by far the hardest to beat. Oh and yes, it is physically addictive. Alcohol is all around us. Generally you can't buy heroin when getting your bread and milk. We say to people using drugs, don't hang out with your drug-using friends. Unrealistic for an alcohol addict. From what I've seen, all people with addictions are self-medicating e.g depression, abusive experiences etc.

But it is so hard to maintain empathy. Relationships are damaged. People with addictions can act in not very nice ways (understatement! ). But at the end of the day it's an addiction. And we need to understand that it's not just a case of 'well he chose to lift that drink' or writing off someone 'he's an alkie'. If only it was that simple.

over a year ago

Alcoholism isnt a desease because a desease can be cured or treated, it's an addiction so it's his choice he put himself where he is he could've stopped at any time but chose to stop for a bit then right back on it. He does look terrible though. Dont be judgmental of me for the comment I just have a problem with alkies

In my job, I've worked with people addicted to a range of substsnces. Alcohol addiction is by far the hardest to beat. Oh and yes, it is physically addictive. Alcohol is all around us. Generally you can't buy heroin when getting your bread and milk. We say to people using drugs, don't hang out with your drug-using friends. Unrealistic for an alcohol addict. From what I've seen, all people with addictions are self-medicating e.g depression, abusive experiences etc.

But it is so hard to maintain empathy. Relationships are damaged. People with addictions can act in not very nice ways (understatement! ). But at the end of the day it's an addiction. And we need to understand that it's not just a case of 'well he chose to lift that drink' or writing off someone 'he's an alkie'. If only it was that simple. "

over a year ago

But it is so hard to maintain empathy. Relationships are damaged. People with addictions can act in not very nice ways (understatement! ). But at the end of the day it's an addiction. And we need to understand that it's not just a case of 'well he chose to lift that drink' or writing off someone 'he's an alkie'. If only it was that simple. "

Yip, i think just about everyone knows someone that they often tell themselves things like, "such a nice person without a drink in them", and thats the cunning and baffling power of the stuff i guess,

over a year ago

I would say it is it an addictive personality rather than something in drink that makes you addicted, otherwise all of us would be addicted if we had a drink."

Totally agree with the last quote

Why else are some ppl able to beat these addictions

over a year ago

Well said!

I've looked after alcoholics & previously lived with an alcoholic, & it's certainly easier looking after them.

R

By *homasP80Man
over a year ago

Linwood

Yea, sorry to see such a talented footballer in this way.

He's going down the road of George Best.

over a year ago

The man was a legend on the pitch. But he's a man that's always had his demons controlling his behaviour. How many rehabs has he been to now. Sad to say but he's already past the point of help, feel sorry for his family that have had to watch him self destruct for years

over a year ago

I admit to being totally bored with any addiction stories involving footballers, "celebrities" and the like even Malky MacKay uses "being under immense pressure" as an excuse for reprehensible behaviour.

However I do also understand what an addictive personality is. I used to like a drink but am virtually tee total now, but I have had the odd obsession with pastimes, sports, hobbies and lets face it many are addicted to this "lifestyle". I have never been in a bookies for fear of addiction and getting out of control.

It's easy to dismiss but harder to empathise. Only Gazza can sort Gazza but I don't think he will and It's probably going to end sadly at a young age for him...

over a year ago

I (Mr), just think its very sad, and as has been said, can't see it ending well.For his family, it must be awful to watch him self destruct, and I feel desperately sorry for anyone that finds themselves in that position. And as for the posts on here showing no sympathy or empathy, hopefully it will never happen to you or someone close to you.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ok so if there is an addictive substabce in alcohol...why don;t we all become alcoholics?

Alcohol, nicotine, drugs......why can some take them or leave them when others become addicted? Nobody knows the answer. Alcohol is responsible for more admissions to a&e than the other two & causes more deaths.

R"

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Yes, often doctors cant decide to treat the deppression or the alcohol addiction first, both are closesly related."

It sort of confirms what I was asking about though, that it is a person who has problems that make them addicted rather than what it is in the drink.

over a year ago

It is, and thats the curious thing about it. The most basic solution is, "stop doing it".

Some for example dont experience the hangover, thats usually enough for most to moderate or avoid drink for a time.

By *cottishsexgoddessWoman
over a year ago

Glenrothes

"There is nothing poor about him, he won't except help, his. Choice

As someone who's own mother is an alcoholic who (by your logic) also refuses to accept help through various relapses.

That really was one of the most ignorant things I've ever read."

I agree. And just to add to the mix, alcoholism is actually an illness.

By *cottishsexgoddessWoman
over a year ago

Glenrothes

"I (Mr), just think its very sad, and as has been said, can't see it ending well.For his family, it must be awful to watch him self destruct, and I feel desperately sorry for anyone that finds themselves in that position. And as for the posts on here showing no sympathy or empathy, hopefully it will never happen to you or someone close to you."

My ex step father and my ex partner are alcoholics. The effect on those around them is devastating.

over a year ago

I have 2 friends & 1 family member who have addiction issues.

Its a horrible thing. U know they dont want to keep doing it but @ the same time they do.

Good thoughts for him & millions in the same boat x

By *rsFine-MrBallsCouple
over a year ago

markinch

I agree. And just to add to the mix, alcoholism is actually an illness."

Not wishing to get too involved in this forum , but , i must be one of the thick ignorant ones , . Since when was alcoholism an illness, thats a life choice. Its a path chosen to walk by a person who wishes to drown out the other issues in life . The persons choice to drink that bottle, then to have another , or go to the pub mon till sunday, once the addiction is in place then it is out of their hands, but until that point, it is most certainly the drinkers choice to carry on. Same with drugs , same with smoking .

And i do have sympathy for people in this position , fully witnessed before anyone says what do you know lol.

over a year ago

Not wishing to get too involved in this forum , but , i must be one of the thick ignorant ones , . Since when was alcoholism an illness, thats a life choice. Its a path chosen to walk by a person who wishes to drown out the other issues in life . The persons choice to drink that bottle, then to have another , or go to the pub mon till sunday, once the addiction is in place then it is out of their hands, but until that point, it is most certainly the drinkers choice to carry on. Same with drugs , same with smoking .

And i do have sympathy for people in this position , fully witnessed before anyone says what do you know lol. "

Thats how it starts certainly, picking up a drink.

Its a substance that some get addicted to, does way more damage to both the person addicted and family close to them etc.

Lots of other addictions that do less harm granted, still same craving/cant do without it characteristics exist, choclate for example.

By *rsFine-MrBallsCouple
over a year ago

markinch

And i do have sympathy for people in this position , fully witnessed before anyone says what do you know lol. Thats how it starts certainly, picking up a drink.

Its a substance that some get addicted to, does way more damage to both the person addicted and family close to them etc.

Lots of other addictions that do less harm granted, still same craving/cant do without it characteristics exist, choclate for example.

"

Yip, exactly, so they could have chosen chocolate instead of drink . Their choice, not an illness.

over a year ago

Clicking on here for no particular reason, apart from its kinda habitual, thats almost addictive symptoms,lol, smartphone addiction, how many dont hear a call, no text recieved, yet you pick it up and check it, sub-consciously hope theres something to see,,,

over a year ago

And i do have sympathy for people in this position , fully witnessed before anyone says what do you know lol. Thats how it starts certainly, picking up a drink.

Yip, exactly, so they could have chosen chocolate instead of drink . Their choice, not an illness. "

Theres nothing exacting about it, great if it was, then addictions would be remedied and problem solved.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Clicking on here for no particular reason, apart from its kinda habitual, thats almost addictive symptoms,lol, smartphone addiction, how many dont hear a call, no text recieved, yet you pick it up and check it, sub-consciously hope theres something to see,,,"

I think you are clutching at straws there

over a year ago

I started out in life as an ordinary kid. My parents were both military and I lived a strict childhood.

My dad liked his drink, but became aggressive and violent with it and I still carry mental and physical scars from it.

I left that environment at 16 yrs old and joined up myself, a 100% pacifist and it wasn't long before that life got under my skin and I left.

Got a job working in a psychiatrist hospital although I worked there for 6 years I never got over the smell of the wards or the atmosphere that one of those old places hold.

I had a promising football career mapped out in the SPL but missed training due to my work pattern and the Drink problem I had now developed.

Gave up the job, the football and the drink to concentrate on a Boxing career. Injury cut my career short and soon I was hitting the bottle again.

I lied, cheated, stole from my kids, and let them down but most of all I let myself down.

I have been in rehab in a number if occasions and each time I swear it will be my last.

One drink is all it takes, a funeral or a wedding etc and someone forgets and buys you a JD & Coke. Couple if hours later and your everyone's worst nightmare.

I went back into working within the Security industry and became a Close Protection guard ie a Bodyguard. I stopped drinking and went to a Buddhist Temple in Thailand and stayed there for 2 years.

That was 15 years ago. I am now dry and apart from one slip at Xmas 2012 have been great

I do attend my GP and I have meds for Chronic Depression, a number of my former work colleagues in the Hospital have now died and yes it was suicide due to alcohol dependency or in one case a heart attack due to being 35 times over the drink limit.

GAZZA I know how he feels I've been there, yes only he can help himself but I'm surprised he is still with us.

I will be surprised....no make that shocked if he still is for 2015.

Loved his talent on the park, but a person who wanted to be loved and appreciated and then dropped when his career ended

The same goes for Scott Harrison, got to the stage he fought and lost to more pub bouncers than he had actual contests.

I live each and every day as it comes for I might not be here tomorrow. I wake up and kiss the morning and bid the day farewell as I go to sleep at night .

I give my thanks and my blessings every night that I am still here alive and doing fine. I still attend my Buddhist studies, I meditate daily and I have found new things to do with my time that keeps me away from alcohol.

Like I said ONE drink is all it takes.

over a year ago

"I started out in life as an ordinary kid. My parents were both military and I lived a strict childhood.

My dad liked his drink, but became aggressive and violent with it and I still carry mental and physical scars from it.

I left that environment at 16 yrs old and joined up myself, a 100% pacifist and it wasn't long before that life got under my skin and I left.

Got a job working in a psychiatrist hospital although I worked there for 6 years I never got over the smell of the wards or the atmosphere that one of those old places hold.

I had a promising football career mapped out in the SPL but missed training due to my work pattern and the Drink problem I had now developed.

Gave up the job, the football and the drink to concentrate on a Boxing career. Injury cut my career short and soon I was hitting the bottle again.

I lied, cheated, stole from my kids, and let them down but most of all I let myself down.

I have been in rehab in a number if occasions and each time I swear it will be my last.

One drink is all it takes, a funeral or a wedding etc and someone forgets and buys you a JD & Coke. Couple if hours later and your everyone's worst nightmare.

I went back into working within the Security industry and became a Close Protection guard ie a Bodyguard. I stopped drinking and went to a Buddhist Temple in Thailand and stayed there for 2 years.

That was 15 years ago. I am now dry and apart from one slip at Xmas 2012 have been great

I do attend my GP and I have meds for Chronic Depression, a number of my former work colleagues in the Hospital have now died and yes it was suicide due to alcohol dependency or in one case a heart attack due to being 35 times over the drink limit.

GAZZA I know how he feels I've been there, yes only he can help himself but I'm surprised he is still with us.

I will be surprised....no make that shocked if he still is for 2015.

Loved his talent on the park, but a person who wanted to be loved and appreciated and then dropped when his career ended

The same goes for Scott Harrison, got to the stage he fought and lost to more pub bouncers than he had actual contests.

I live each and every day as it comes for I might not be here tomorrow. I wake up and kiss the morning and bid the day farewell as I go to sleep at night .

I give my thanks and my blessings every night that I am still here alive and doing fine. I still attend my Buddhist studies, I meditate daily and I have found new things to do with my time that keeps me away from alcohol.

Like I said ONE drink is all it takes.

"

A very honest & accurate account.

Like any addiction, the person has to want to stop for themselves rather than anyone else or it won't work.

R x

By *rsFine-MrBallsCouple
over a year ago

markinch

Yip, exactly, so they could have chosen chocolate instead of drink . Their choice, not an illness. Theres nothing exacting about it, great if it was, then addictions would be remedied and problem solved."

No one said it wasnt an addiction, the quote was regarding it being an illness, it is not an illness , its a choice, Depression is an illness, you do not choose to be depressed, you do choose to drink , take drugs or any other afflictions. So yes , exactly, another path could have been chosen.

over a year ago

Ok, technically its not an illness, yet you are familiar with folk that suffer or are liable to addictions, and for them to be ok, we just tell them, "ohh should'nt really done that eh, should you", and that helps them at the peak of their addiction, how?

over a year ago

Alcohol is technically a depressant, vicious circle, folk take it to get "merry", butt drink enough of it, merry soon goes out the window, keep drinking it, and yer normal non-depressed person will become depressed.

over a year ago

Lots of people enjoy a drink some dont know when to stop but do because of a job a family or other things that eventually keep you on the 'straight and narrow' but unfortunately others cant stop

Paul Gascoine was a huge talent one of the best players in the last 30 yrs and that's

coming from a Celtic fan

It must be very difficult for someone who is idolised and has an alcohol addiction to

lead any sort of a normal life

The guy was far from perfect but then who is!!

over a year ago

"Lots of people enjoy a drink some dont know when to stop but do because of a job a family or other things that eventually keep you on the 'straight and narrow' but unfortunately others cant stop

Paul Gascoine was a huge talent one of the best players in the last 30 yrs and that's

coming from a Celtic fan

It must be very difficult for someone who is idolised and has an alcohol addiction to

lead any sort of a normal life

The guy was far from perfect but then who is!!

"

By *rsFine-MrBallsCouple
over a year ago

markinch

"Ok, technically its not an illness, yet you are familiar with folk that suffer or are liable to addictions, and for them to be ok, we just tell them, "ohh should'nt really done that eh, should you", and that helps them at the peak of their addiction, how? "

No technically about it, it is not an illness, no excuses , you choose that path, you choose to constantly drink into a stupure , with the end result being an alcoholic,. Depression is the illness . Alcohol is a choice,

over a year ago

Only ever heard gd things for people who've met him, he ain't an angel but wouldn't wish an addiction/illness on anyone, I just hope he can finally get and accept the help needed!

Post new Message to Thread