Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Alone - together

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Very interesting thing, just been watching online, just search "Sherry Turkle - Alone together".

Lasts 16mins, she describes the progress from home computers to smartphone and social networking, how much we rely on internet, how diffrently we now communicate,quite funny how you can see yourself being who she is describing.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rs Robinson no 1Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

nice to see you back T...Rx

over a year ago

God bless you, please Mrs Robinson (singin) lol, hi, ty xx

By *erverts R usCouple
over a year ago

Stirling

The world is a lot faster and still speeding up tech wise and as a society we seem to become more dependant on it. Nice to see you Mr T xx B

over a year ago

Yes, more dependant, some may say too dependant.

We see it daily, cant get by the person in the supermarket aisle,statue-like while they read an update.

Or my favourite, the car in front on motorway, slowing down, gotta read that text i guess, lol.

over a year ago

"The world is a lot faster and still speeding up tech wise and as a society we seem to become more dependant on it. Nice to see you Mr T xx B "

Hi, cheers xx

By *cotsteveMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Yes, more dependant, some may say too dependant.

We see it daily, cant get by the person in the supermarket aisle,statue-like while they read an update.

Or my favourite, the car in front on motorway, slowing down, gotta read that text i guess, lol."

Were you following me lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Yes, more dependant, some may say too dependant.

Or my favourite, the car in front on motorway, slowing down, gotta read that text i guess, lol."

thats just the way it is now ... and yeah i am lost without my phone if the battery runs out im devastaed (though that rarely happens) i think its got a lot to do with the social media and other sites we are all just too nosey nowadays, always checking this site or that site for updates .... messages and the latest status from "that person".

can you just imagine what it will be like when we are old and the new generation are running about ?

over a year ago

Bet the next thing will be glasses, think theres ones already that can take pics of whatever your lookin at etc, the lenses will have ipad screen you can scroll trough by eye movement.

So imagine sat on the bus next to someone,computer glasses on, ipad in their lugs, yet they know when to get off the bus??

over a year ago

Recovered this because i think it covers some very current trends.

People being as they are internet chatwise compared to real face to face chat, reluctance to be realistic online, avoiding talk of anything uncool, not fun, remaining upbeat no matter what, very interesting, worth a click if doing noting else sometime,

over a year ago

Chatting with a mate and I said

Imagine 1 full day of no internet for anyone in the whole world?

She said .. No I can't

Says it all

over a year ago

Friend of mine, im always tellin her she's totally addicted to her smartpone, never off it etc.

Last week, i was gettin out my car, saw her walkin towards me, locked onto phone as per usual, out of pure devilment, i thought, "not gonna shout awrite or hi", see if she notices me, and nope, 20feet away at one point, totally engrosed in phone, lol.

I just stood there, doin my Alan Partridge "un,,,,believeable"

over a year ago

the university of California recently published a paper on this the call it Nomophobia they say in some cases the people who they were studying became complete wrecks when they were deprived access to there phones

over a year ago

"the university of California recently published a paper on this the call it Nomophobia they say in some cases the people who they were studying became complete wrecks when they were deprived access to there phones "
Can well believe that.

I do laugh when phone addicts are miffed at how the phone needs charged "again", lol

over a year ago

"the university of California recently published a paper on this the call it Nomophobia they say in some cases the people who they were studying became complete wrecks when they were deprived access to there phones Can well believe that.

I do laugh when phone addicts are miffed at how the phone needs charged "again", lol"

I was at the gym the other day and there was a lass on facebook on the treadmill

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Bet the next thing will be glasses, think theres ones already that can take pics of whatever your lookin at etc, the lenses will have ipad screen you can scroll trough by eye movement.

So imagine sat on the bus next to someone,computer glasses on, ipad in their lugs, yet they know when to get off the bus?? "

yup google has a set made holo graphic computer screen holoprinted on one lense works with voice command and eye movement I try not to be so dependant on media sotting in the pub with brother is next to pointless him and friends sit together but all glued to their fones lol

over a year ago

"Bet the next thing will be glasses, think theres ones already that can take pics of whatever your lookin at etc, the lenses will have ipad screen you can scroll trough by eye movement.

So imagine sat on the bus next to someone,computer glasses on, ipad in their lugs, yet they know when to get off the bus?? yup google has a set made holo graphic computer screen holoprinted on one lense works with voice command and eye movement I try not to be so dependant on media sotting in the pub with brother is next to pointless him and friends sit together but all glued to their fones lol"

Can relate to that completely

Sunday dinner at my sisters, walked in football on the TV, 9 people in the room, 1 watching TV 8 on phones or tablets

Weird

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

We are a very tech orientated family with our laptops, smartphones and tablets. I insist on no phones during meal times particularly if we are out for dinner.

Shy x

Post new Message to Thread