Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

spelling

Jump to newest

By *ammyjim OP   Man
over a year ago

west Lothian

why do people insist on the correct spelling and grammer when chatting?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"why do people insist on the correct spelling and grammer when chatting? "

Is that a deliberate spelling mistake?

over a year ago

*grammar

You are most welcome

By *ammyjim OP   Man
over a year ago

west Lothian

lol does it really matter? why do people make assumption of others by there spelling?

over a year ago

Hole....digging....deeper.....

I'd give up on this one just now bud!

People don't always judge, just preference perhaps - no one is perfect!

over a year ago

*their

I don't make assumptions, if you're thick as shit well you can't help it It's text speak that I can't stand. I know it is easier but it does my tits in!

By *ammyjim OP   Man
over a year ago

west Lothian

cheers for the correction and assumption lol

over a year ago

No bother

over a year ago

It's laziness, that's why. I like a well constructed scentence, no spelling mistakes and good grammar, it's not really that difficult, is it? I appreciate some people may be dyslexic and struggle with spelling etc, but some messages I've received have been impossible to understand, and don't get me started with text talk. if a person cannot tell the difference between there, their and they're or your and you're then they're not the type of person I would play with.

over a year ago

"It's laziness, that's why. I like a well constructed scentence, no spelling mistakes and good grammar, it's not really that difficult, is it? I appreciate some people may be dyslexic and struggle with spelling etc, but some messages I've received have been impossible to understand, and don't get me started with text talk. if a person cannot tell the difference between there, their and they're or your and you're then they're not the type of person I would play with. "

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Because it is really fkn annoying!!

over a year ago

"Because it is really fkn annoying!!

"

You're a bad woman, the word you're looking for is fucking.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"Because it is really fkn annoying!!

You're a bad woman, the word you're looking for is fucking. "

LOL....

By *ustcutieWoman
over a year ago

edinburgh

It doesn't bother me ,as long as I can understand what's being said the odd spelling mistake makes no difference

By *mudg3rMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"It's laziness, that's why. I like a well constructed scentence, no spelling mistakes and good grammar, it's not really that difficult, is it? I appreciate some people may be dyslexic and struggle with spelling etc, but some messages I've received have been impossible to understand, and don't get me started with text talk. if a person cannot tell the difference between there, their and they're or your and you're then they're not the type of person I would play with. "

Would that be "sentence"?

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"

Would that be "sentence"? "

That would be pedantic...

By *parkxx76Man
over a year ago

Dundee

The odd spelling mistake can be forgiven, but I think defending your right to not even try looks a bit ignorant!

over a year ago

"The odd spelling mistake can be forgiven, but I think defending your right to not even try looks a bit ignorant!

"

wel sed m8 that spelin malarkey is wel ard

over a year ago

Been thinking about this, I imagine half the problem is the autocorrect on most peoples phones which buggers up a lot of what they try to say, waste of space, first thing to be removed from a new phone

By *ensual temptressWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

I will hold my hands up and admit spelling is not one of my strong points. Does it mean I'm thick or made zero effort ? No , it just means my spelling isn't the greatest . If that rules me out with some people then I'm fine with that .

If I was filling out a job application then I would be double and triple checking both spelling and grammar. When it's a message on here as long as it's legible I don't see an issue . If people want to spend their time and effort correcting my spelling and grammar then they can knock themselves out ! I'll just spend my time finding fun lol !

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

I dont mind a few spelling mistakes or typos...

The one that seriously bugs the life out of me is "YOUS"....

By *ensual temptressWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

"Been thinking about this, I imagine half the problem is the autocorrect on most peoples phones which buggers up a lot of what they try to say, waste of space, first thing to be removed from a new phone"

Lol ! I have sent some truly hysterical texts and messages due to predictive text and auto correct .I  have also found touch screen phones don't help the situation either .Especially when you have long nails like moi !

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"

Lol ! I have sent some truly hysterical texts and messages due to predictive text and auto correct .I  have also found touch screen phones don't help the situation either .Especially when you have long nails like moi ! "

Always use predictive txt on my phone...

Found it much easier with my nails when I changed from qwerty to 3x4 keypad

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"Been thinking about this, I imagine half the problem is the autocorrect on most peoples phones which buggers up a lot of what they try to say, waste of space, first thing to be removed from a new phone"

It seems that in this wonderful modernistic world in which we now live, proof-reading is a thing of the past, even in the commercial/professional emvironment.

over a year ago

It's pretty simple (usually) to determine between someone who's been auto-corrected, or has dyslexia, though some of the profile text/messages on here are frankly shocking in terms of their mangling of the English language.

By *il_Lou90Woman
over a year ago

falkirk

Sometimes autocorrect ends up with hilarious mistakes, one guy told me on here he was a genie guy so I asked him for wishs and he didn't get the joke

over a year ago

"It's pretty simple (usually) to determine between someone who's been auto-corrected, or has dyslexia, though some of the profile text/messages on here are frankly shocking in terms of their mangling of the English language."

over a year ago

"Been thinking about this, I imagine half the problem is the autocorrect on most peoples phones which buggers up a lot of what they try to say, waste of space, first thing to be removed from a new phone

It seems that in this wonderful modernistic world in which we now live, proof-reading is a thing of the past, even in the commercial/professional emvironment. "

Regrettably true

over a year ago

I think a big part of the problem is people rarely put pen to paper now to actuallying write things down. It's all done online or through text and people don't stop long enough to think about it, as they're usually doing something else at the time .

I do correct people from time to time but only the ones I know well enough , that I'm comfortable enough to do so with . I wouldn't want to make someone feel stupid or embarrass them . They may, perhaps not be that confident at it or have other reasons, so I don't judge based on those reasons. We can't all be good at everything.

over a year ago

"I think a big part of the problem is people rarely put pen to paper now to actuallying write things down. It's all done online or through text and people don't stop long enough to think about it, as they're usually doing something else at the time .

I do correct people from time to time but only the ones I know well enough , that I'm comfortable enough to do so with . I wouldn't want to make someone feel stupid or embarrass them . They may, perhaps not be that confident at it or have other reasons, so I don't judge based on those reasons. We can't all be good at everything. "

See lol damn phone adding it's own words . Actually not actuallying

over a year ago

"I think a big part of the problem is people rarely put pen to paper now to actuallying write things down. It's all done online or through text and people don't stop long enough to think about it, as they're usually doing something else at the time .

I do correct people from time to time but only the ones I know well enough , that I'm comfortable enough to do so with . I wouldn't want to make someone feel stupid or embarrass them . They may, perhaps not be that confident at it or have other reasons, so I don't judge based on those reasons. We can't all be good at everything. "

It's a nightmare typing next to you.....

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

It's quite easy to tell when someone has made a simple mistake and when someone isn't making any effort. It's also quite easy to see when people are dyslexic as the structure of the sentence is usually there, just jumbled up. Neither worries me.

Text speak does bug the hell out of me though and I know someone who texts in what I call 'Scottish text speak'. It has baffled me many times over the time I've known him but if I say it out loud I usually get it eventually.

But I would only correct glaring autocorrect cock ups with friends as they do it to me. But I would only correct spelling when asked to look at something specific, otherwise I ignore it

over a year ago

i tend to never judge a book and all that.

over a year ago

I really do think it is just laziness. Being dyslexic makes it harder to learn difficult spellings, not impossible. And two/to/too, there/their/they're, etc (not ect), definitely (not definately or defiantly) are NOT difficult words to spell/remember.

Take two/to/too, for example. This is taught in P4 or 5, and covered again in English at secondary school. It is pure laziness to use the wrong one. The odd mistake once in a blue moon I can overlook, but some people (adults, by the way!) do not know the difference (not differance)! To me, it's like claiming 2 + 2 = 5, then being offended when someone corrects you.

Being dyslexic does not excuse getting the very basic things wrong. If you genuinely are dyslexic then just think a bit harder when you come to trigger words like to or there. If the word dyslexic was replaced by the phrase "can't master primary school English" I think fewer people be so keen to label themselves.

Rant over.

over a year ago

"I dont mind a few spelling mistakes or typos...

The one that seriously bugs the life out of me is "YOUS"....

"

over a year ago

over a year ago

Scentence? Smells of a spelling faux pas tae moi.

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

Making a genuine spelling mistake is one thing, but using 'txt spk' in an environment such as this, is pure laziness in my humble opinion!

And yes, even as a male on here, desperate to meet a woman, a profile written in 'txt spk' would be an instant turn-off.

Just my take on things grammatical.

By *aucy MikeCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Making a genuine spelling mistake is one thing, but using 'txt spk' in an environment such as this, is pure laziness in my humble opinion!

And yes, even as a male on here, desperate to meet a woman, a profile written in 'txt spk' would be an instant turn-off.

Just my take on things grammatical."

Or a profile not written at all. Our other pet hate is also "YOUSE", YOUS", or even "USE"! As in "how are youse doing?" Really?? S&Mx

over a year ago

What do yous all mean

By *ime For ItMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"What do yous all mean "

Lol

over a year ago

For me, it's worrying the number of people who have lost the full stop facility. I hate messages or posts that I have to try to punctuate myself in order to decipher them. But...i do let the odd howler slip through myself grammatically speaking, despite proof reading.....

I hate yous too! Not all of yous, i love yous, just hate the use of "yous"!!!!

By *aucy MikeCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"For me, it's worrying the number of people who have lost the full stop facility. I hate messages or posts that I have to try to punctuate myself in order to decipher them. But...i do let the odd howler slip through myself grammatically speaking, despite proof reading.....

I hate yous too! Not all of yous, i love yous, just hate the use of "yous"!!!! "

Post new Message to Thread