Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

What's the deal...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

With scrap cars in farmers fields in Scotland? Only ever seen it here. Rest of the country seems to make do with bird scarers.

Im not talking about joyridden cars that have been abandoned, but ones that have been deliberately left. And in one case this week, a quadbike.

I don't believe for an instant that they are any less work than making bird scarers, you've got to get them from a scrappy and then drag them about your land. And does one marque work better than others? If you need to scare crows do you put a Ford out, as everyone remembers that crows hate Fords. (Remembering when the flock of hooded crows attacked Henry Ford when he released the model T, they've no taste)

I can only assume that it's some sort of tax dodge. Putting a scrap car there classes it as a car park and drops the land tax perhaps??

Anyone with any other theories or knowledge of why?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Perhaps just the cost to scrap a car now with all fluids and compenent strip aint cheap

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I see a few on my travels back from Ayrshire and notice they have adverts on them so i guess free Advertising

By *ary_ArgyllMan
over a year ago

Argyll

Happens a lot in the western Isles but that is due to cost of taking an old car on the ferry to scrap on mainland - I guess cost is the issue but it doesn't look great, especially as tourism is one of our main industries.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I can't imagine it's down to the cost of scrappage. As I see a car round here in every other field. So the farmer either had an extensive car collection or went to a scrappy and got a shit load!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Saw a dead bull yesterday....lying in a field with its toes curled up. That was a first.....

By *ary_ArgyllMan
over a year ago

Argyll

Could start a whole new craze - putting photos of odd things in fields on Google Earth!

By *horstrollMan
over a year ago

Caprona

"Saw a dead bull yesterday....lying in a field with its toes curled up. That was a first..... "

Was it not sunning itself ?

Friends horse died in the field, first thing she noticed was his fifth leg.

By *parkxx76Man
over a year ago

Dundee

Haven't seen a scrap car in a field for at least 10 years, the price of steel is way too high to leave it to rot!

Things in fields.. Doggers, does that count?

Post new Message to Thread