Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Bankers' Bonuses

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Soooo......despite posting a £3.6 Billion loss in 2009 RBS intends to pay out around £1.3 billion in bonuses to its staff.

Is there a problem here. Is it wrong to allow what is effectively a state owned bank to pay out such sums while they are still losing cash hand over fist?

The banking system is in crisis, but by paying their best staff huge bonuses are banks not merely providing a mechanism to stop their best staff jumping ship?

Retention of good staff surely means that the bank is likely to perform well in the future and therefore maximise the chances of the taxpayer recouping the money that has been used to shore up the system.

Long live bankers bonuses!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The chairman of RBS was hand picked to dispose of massive losses (over 18 Billion) and start to get the bank earning money. The only part of RBS that is not maaking money is the bank that you and I see, the mortgage and current account bank.

The other parts of there business are very successful and he has also sold some of the business for a substantial amount of money.

He has also refused to take his bonus this year but his main bonus will be given to him when the share prices hit 60p each. A long way off at the moment.

So if i reduced my losses from 18 Billion to 6 Billion in under a year, then yup i do deserve a bonus.

over a year ago

I find this a difficult one....

I feel that if you are performing well and indeed above expectations then you should be rewarded with a bonus, certainly the new chairman is performing well and perhaps above expectations....

However....when you consider the current economic climate where so many are not even being given a raise, to accomodate the rate of inflation, in their annual salary..far less a bonus, then its easy to feel outraged that a 'reward' of such magnitude could be handed out to anyone.

I'm sure I read his bonus was to be over one million! I find that outrageous and surely his renumeration package is already more than sufficent without the need for a windfall that most could only acquire with the help of 6 numbers. It was wise he offered to decline until things improve...

I feel the board and other bankers who are looking for a bonus should be given what they deserve.....perhaps free tickets to the next social, or a years free gold membership here...

...after all they have fucked us for long enough...surely its time to repay the favour

Vol

xx

over a year ago

Vol , time and time again you hit the nail on the head .

I for one really like the cut of your jib

over a year ago

Greig pointed out that RBS chairman has made a huge impact on the losses the bank has made... And with that reasoning the bonus to him and those staff that contributed would seem fair.

Funny how that specific information never makes it into the TV news or papers when they want a good headline eh?

FFS don't get me started on the media and how people believe what they say is true!

Steve

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

should point out here that Stephen Hester, chairman of RBS said earlier in the week (possibly late last week) that he was voluntarily foregoing his bonus.

over a year ago

"I find this a difficult one....

I feel that if you are performing well and indeed above expectations then you should be rewarded with a bonus, certainly the new chairman is performing well and perhaps above expectations....

However....when you consider the current economic climate where so many are not even being given a raise, to accomodate the rate of inflation, in their annual salary..far less a bonus, then its easy to feel outraged that a 'reward' of such magnitude could be handed out to anyone.

I'm sure I read his bonus was to be over one million! I find that outrageous and surely his renumeration package is already more than sufficent without the need for a windfall that most could only acquire with the help of 6 numbers. It was wise he offered to decline until things improve...

I feel the board and other bankers who are looking for a bonus should be given what they deserve.....perhaps free tickets to the next social, or a years free gold membership here...

...after all they have fucked us for long enough...surely its time to repay the favour

Vol

xx"

pmsl vol i like the sound of your plan ...infact i'd love to gie ma mortgage advisor a good seeing too

over a year ago

"should point out here that Stephen Hester, chairman of RBS said earlier in the week (possibly late last week) that he was voluntarily foregoing his bonus."

Hesters wages package is made up of £1.2m cash, up to £2m in non-cash bonuses and up to £6.4m in long-term incentives......

with a package like that...im sure i would be magnanimous and forgo my massive bonus too...such a selfless act...indeed im sure the poor man will need to lie down and be fanned with a bunch of £5 notes...

hmm £5 notes....thats the sort of bonus my bank offers its customers!!

fucking outrage i say!!!!

vol

xx

over a year ago

Hester gets paid well because he is good at his job.If we dont pay the going rate for these guys then someone elses economy will benefit from employing him.

Realistically yes millions is a lot of money, but compare hester to John Terry who only plays football and still earns over 6 million a year plus bonuses plus advertising sponsership revenues, i know who i would prefer to pay.

We all are fed up with banks and there outrageous decision making but.. you would do a lot worse than to buy some shares in these organisations. When you make a lot of money remember me please lol.

over a year ago

i just had a thought, they should have a televised game of deal or no deal with individual bankers bonuses, would be good to see how much they would gamble with there own bonus, now that would be funny lol

over a year ago

"Hester gets paid well because he is good at his job.If we dont pay the going rate for these guys then someone elses economy will benefit from employing him.

Realistically yes millions is a lot of money, but compare hester to John Terry who only plays football and still earns over 6 million a year plus bonuses plus advertising sponsership revenues, i know who i would prefer to pay.

We all are fed up with banks and there outrageous decision making but.. you would do a lot worse than to buy some shares in these organisations. When you make a lot of money remember me please lol."

we did jst that lol ..... bought lotsssss of shares in the bank when the shit hit the fan ..... the only way is up eh

over a year ago

Bankers need huge bonuses because they'll need something to live on when they try and claim their pensions and find out there's only a few quid and a couple of old washers left in the pot they're supposed to have been looking after. Poor souls.

And guys like Fred the Shred need all the money they can get.....just to pay for their broken windows!

J

over a year ago

i work for a public company and we get a small bonus each year depending on our performance over the year and work outside in all weathers for it .

but i still think that they should not get a bonus untill all the tax payers money is paid back in full.and if the workers dont like it then there are loads of folk that would do there jobs on the dole

Mr Me.

Post new Message to Thread