Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Art of conversation

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was recently in Frankie & Benny's and noticed that not a lot of people chat to each other, they sit on their phones...i saw a family where both mum and dad were on their phones textn and the kids were both playing games on ipads, before and during their meals....

Is the Art of conversation dying????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *bking1669Man
over a year ago

Dundee

Yes.

Well you did say conversation was dying

By *ustcutieWoman
over a year ago

edinburgh

Oh god I hope not..... I'm always talking

over a year ago

"Oh god I hope not..... I'm always talking "

Cutie thats our job, we cannae switch it off..lol

By *ustcutieWoman
over a year ago

edinburgh

"Oh god I hope not..... I'm always talking

Cutie thats our job, we cannae switch it off..lol"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If I owned a restaurant I would ban mobiles at the table.

over a year ago

"If I owned a restaurant I would ban mobiles at the table. "

Great idea but would you get many bums on seats....i'd defo book a table, fed up listening to other folk shouting there convo's down the line!

By *andsCouple
over a year ago

Edin

Detest it .... no need to check footie/scores... watch sky news.... play poker etc whilst out for dinner.

New rule when out with friends, first person to go on their phone (other than emergencies) has to pay for everyones meal.... soon puts a stop to all the fly texting! x

over a year ago

I've found F&B not a great place to chat. The music in them is often too loud, it's like being in a disco. I need to shout most times Ive gone to make myself heard to the person next to me.

The art of conversation has taken a dip through the use of mobiles and text speak, and kids watching programmes like teletubies who just mumble.

Fortunately tho when having fun the art of conversation doesn't really matter lol

over a year ago

Technology has teken over. People don't have deep, meaningful relationships becausr we can just post it on their facebook wall, "Hey, Hows you?"

over a year ago

Sorry I missed that, was texting there

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

I don't think conversation is dead, far from it.

But as a parent, having kids waiting for food means moaning an fidgeting and hem annoying other diners and the easiest way to stop that is to keep them occupied - hence iPad/iPhone

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan
over a year ago

Glasgow West

I don't want to talk about it.

By *uncouple981Couple
over a year ago

ayrshire

I think it's pointless going out for a meal if your going to sit and ignore each other.

It's so sad to see kids staring at screens instead of looking around them or joining in with conversations. What would happen if the parents took the iPad/ds/phone etc. off the kids. God forbid they get bored while waiting to be served.

over a year ago

Back in the day we never had phones or I pads

You just had to sit there with a piece of coal

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

"I was recently in Frankie & Benny's and noticed that not a lot of people chat to each other, they sit on their phones...i saw a family where both mum and dad were on their phones textn "

Maybe they were texting each other since its rude to speak with your mouth full

over a year ago

purely for info purposes if you happen to find yourself anywhere with me and spend your time on your phone i will go home.

Bugs the shit out of me and i reckon the art of conversation is very nearly dead xx

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"purely for info purposes if you happen to find yourself anywhere with me and spend your time on your phone i will go home.

"

over a year ago

It's definitely awkward teasing a conversation out of a teenager, but it can be done. I'm guilty of being surgically attached to my phone, but that's a hold over from previous jobs being on call.. It's getting easier to leave it alone, but even with that, it's just a quick check to make sure there's nothing outstanding.

A good conversation can be as relaxing or invigorating as a drink or some sexy undies

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"

A good conversation can be as relaxing or invigorating as a drink or some sexy undies "

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

If I'm with an adult then my phone gets put on silent and put in my pocket. Simple as that. I can have a conversation with my boys about their day/week but my youngest is far to fidgety and liked to play her counting games instead

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman
over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

Anyone who knows me knows i never shut up hahahhaa so no the art of conversation isnt dead here .

But know what you mean everywhere you look people are on their phones.

But i guess thats what happens in an evolving world if you dont want the art of conversation to die ditch the phones its that simple

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"If I'm with an adult then my phone gets put on silent and put in my pocket. Simple as that. I can have a conversation with my boys about their day/week but my youngest is far to fidgety and liked to play her counting games instead "

Different with kids....

My grandson has his face stuck to his DS all the time......

Doesnt shut him up though!! lol

over a year ago

i think with children people use games consoles and phones as a means to keep them quiet.

I personally think that part of your responsibility as a parent is to entertain and teach your children and not take the easy option just so they dont bug you.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"i think with children people use games consoles and phones as a means to keep them quiet.

I personally think that part of your responsibility as a parent is to entertain and teach your children and not take the easy option just so they dont bug you."

My grandson is 5yrs old....

He can work a computer better than most adults I know....

It entertains and teaches him....

over a year ago

point taken.. and does he take his comp with him when you go for a family meal etc?

over a year ago

Alot of adults are worse than kids.

I love nothing more than sticking the laptop away and putting the phone on silent.

Understand why some people need to answer there phones while out and about. But can't stand being on a night out and your friends are on there phones all night.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"point taken.. and does he take his comp with him when you go for a family meal etc?

"

No course not.

Nothing worse than seeing what OP has said..

over a year ago

My son does, but it helps him fixate on something as he has additional needs (not going to go into properly) and eating issues.

Not every parent trys to keep there kids occupied while out to keep then quiet.

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"i think with children people use games consoles and phones as a means to keep them quiet.

I personally think that part of your responsibility as a parent is to entertain and teach your children and not take the easy option just so they dont bug you.

It entertains and teaches him...."

Sorry foe, dont want to make you feel old lol, but my daughter is 41/2. She has games on my iPad she plays but they are all educational. She learns as she plays. Then when we are out or talking she comes out with things that astonish me sometimes. As with everything, it's in moderation but its the future and she embraces it. However, I do make all of my kids put electronics away when it's time for them to tell me about their day and I hope that as thy grow up its a lesson that stays with them for life

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

It entertains and teaches him....

Sorry foe, dont want to make you feel old lol, but my daughter is 41/2. She has games on my iPad she plays but they are all educational. She learns as she plays. Then when we are out or talking she comes out with things that astonish me sometimes. As with everything, it's in moderation but its the future and she embraces it. However, I do make all of my kids put electronics away when it's time for them to tell me about their day and I hope that as thy grow up its a lesson that stays with them for life "

lol you dont make me feel old...

You make me feel dam glad I started young

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"

lol you dont make me feel old...

You make me feel dam glad I started young "

Lol

over a year ago

I personally think that part of your responsibility as a parent is to entertain and teach your children and not take the easy option just so they dont bug you."

over a year ago

Umm...

over a year ago

A big part of my job is making conversation with people and getting to know them, its not what you'd expect but what I find most is that people in their teens and 20s are the easiest to talk to, the kind of folk you'd expect to be having their brains numbed growing up watching tele, texting and other things that supposedly kill conversation.

Actully Men between the age of 35 and 50 are the least conversational people I've come across for the most part. Speaking generally of course.

over a year ago

"I was recently in Frankie & Benny's and noticed that not a lot of people chat to each other, they sit on their phones...i saw a family where both mum and dad were on their phones textn and the kids were both playing games on ipads, before and during their meals....

Is the Art of conversation dying????"

Dam straright I really want to talk to some of the folk that get on the train with me in the morning but. There ball beep in the iPhone. Meghan I'm kind of guilty of it to tho. But I do try.. hah mum was prob on here chatting to some young guy n dad was prob sending out cock pics on an epic scale . With the kids slowly lossing any moral value.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"

Actully Men between the age of 35 and 50 are the least conversational people I've come across for the most part. Speaking generally of course."

Do you think that is your age though?

You probably wouldnt get much of a conversation out of me.....

over a year ago

"

Actully Men between the age of 35 and 50 are the least conversational people I've come across for the most part. Speaking generally of course.

You probably wouldnt get much of a conversation out of me..... "

Oooft!

over a year ago

You'd be surprised, I can small talk with the best of them.

The thought did strike me as I was typing it, and older than that age I reckon they must be happy to chat to anyone.

I'm not sure, a significant part of it might be just how old I am but I've never found the same to be true of women of the same age. Older gents I guess probably just want stuff done quickly and simply I suppose.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"

Oooft!

"

Shush you....

I was refering to him out of here and working

By *uncouple981Couple
over a year ago

ayrshire

"A big part of my job is making conversation with people and getting to know them, its not what you'd expect but what I find most is that people in their teens and 20s are the easiest to talk to, the kind of folk you'd expect to be having their brains numbed growing up watching tele, texting and other things that supposedly kill conversation.

Actully Men between the age of 35 and 50 are the least conversational people I've come across for the most part. Speaking generally of course."

Do you work in some kind of telesales? Because they know how to talk and always want to get to know you better.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"

I'm not sure, a significant part of it might be just how old I am but I've never found the same to be true of women of the same age. Older gents I guess probably just want stuff done quickly and simply I suppose."

I obviously have no idea what you do...but I was meaning in a work senario...so yes, probably true...

over a year ago

"Do you work in some kind of telesales? Because they know how to talk and always want to get to know you better. "

I couldn't handle that, I hate talking on phones, I get nervous and start mumbling like Mr Bean.

over a year ago

Yes, you walk down the street people on phones, your on public transport on phones or iPads.

In a waiting room, lift etc nobody smiles says hello, I'll talk to anyone, male female old or young.

HELLO!

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Yes, you walk down the street people on phones, your on public transport on phones or iPads.

In a waiting room, lift etc nobody smiles says hello, I'll talk to anyone, male female old or young.

HELLO! "

I'm the same, I went to the park with the kids Saturday afternoon, sat on a bench, said hello to the lady next to me who was there with her grandson and we chatted for over half an hour. I learnt stuff about the history of the area I never knew. It was great

over a year ago

"I was recently in Frankie & Benny's and noticed that not a lot of people chat to each other, they sit on their phones...i saw a family where both mum and dad were on their phones textn and the kids were both playing games on ipads, before and during their meals....

Is the Art of conversation dying????"

Maybe they were texting each other asking what they wanted to eat hehe

over a year ago

"

Oooft!

Shush you....

I was refering to him out of here and working "

Lol just checking, belters of a knock back in a different context tho

Post new Message to Thread