Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

video games as art

Jump to newest

By *uitar_antihero OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I've just been playing Limbo, very eerie. I'd say a work of art though.

What other games would you say should be classed as art?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *woWayWorshipMan
over a year ago

Angus

In terms of visual art or classing the game as whole as art?

Visually the original Crysis for PC was very impressive! And the detail in people on LA Noire was pretty intense!

Games as a whole, Portal series and the original Halo trilogy. Everything from story to gameplay to the attention paid to sound effects. Works of art!

Man, we're going to get sooooo much women thanks to this thread hahaha

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Okami

Brilliant artistic game based on Japanese myth and legend.

Shadow of the colossus as well, it's just amazing.

over a year ago

Glasgow

I admit la noire was astonishing in its look. But I guess I'm talking more of games that put "art" (whatever thst is) high on the agenda. Try Limbo & you'll see what I mean, the general feel of it is different from most games.

Also, I played Okami briefly at my brothers. It's next on the list.

By *woWayWorshipMan
over a year ago

Angus

More games with a unique visual style then? Rather than your standard 3D renderings

This might be my inner minimalist talking but Antichamber on Steam was impressive, cell shaded game, nice blocky solid primary colours but you really need to play it or watch a few videos to get why I think this is art, the way they connect different rooms is great! Bit of a mindfuck though lol

over a year ago

Limbo has some great art work and the atmosphere is amazing.

If you want another game for atmosphere try Amnesia

over a year ago

Being a bit of a petrol head i think the track,car and weather detail on f1 2012 is great

over a year ago

Red dead redemption.

over a year ago

Braid!

over a year ago

Glasgow

"Braid!"

I hace downloaded that, its next to be played

over a year ago

Anyone tried the impossible game ? It's so addictive but after a while you lose your temper lol

By *woWayWorshipMan
over a year ago

Angus

"Anyone tried the impossible game ? It's so addictive but after a while you lose your temper lol "

YES! What a single but fantastic game! I managed to complete the first level on Xbox and Android but after that I gave up. I'm surprised there's hair on my head after that bloody game

over a year ago

I played Child of Eden on Xbox with kinect.

With a wide screen tv and the volume cranked up this game is a beautiful psychedelic assault on the eyes and ears.

Gameplay was repetetive and simplistic, the sound and visuals made up for that. Art indeed.

And the artwork and music for the original Halo game was close too.

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

Final fantasy 8 is still beautiful.

I love the America McGee's Alice games for looks, creepy but great.

Ex WOW head I have to say I loved the wrath expansion, the Norse elements were just great, the character design was fab if a bit repetitive. Pity the quest progression and gameplay descended into suckiness, still occasionally get to play vanilla but it lacks a bit after a while.

I love the simplicity of Animal Crossings graphics, I know from having to try and design similar that it's do hard to do, that makes the fact that they did so impressive.

Finally Eternal darkness for the spell casting sequence and glyphs. Not to mention the bone theives, they still freak me out after all this time.

.......... And hey! I'm a girl

over a year ago

"Final fantasy 8 is still beautiful.

I love the America McGee's Alice games for looks, creepy but great.

Ex WOW head I have to say I loved the wrath expansion, the Norse elements were just great, the character design was fab if a bit repetitive. Pity the quest progression and gameplay descended into suckiness, still occasionally get to play vanilla but it lacks a bit after a while.

I love the simplicity of Animal Crossings graphics, I know from having to try and design similar that it's do hard to do, that makes the fact that they did so impressive.

Finally Eternal darkness for the spell casting sequence and glyphs. Not to mention the bone theives, they still freak me out after all this time.

.......... And hey! I'm a girl "

Marry me!

By *woWayWorshipMan
over a year ago

Angus

"Marry me! "

This better not be first come first served for marrying witch! She's mine after that post haha

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

It's always nice to have admirers

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

Back to the nerding! Did someone mention scifi??

over a year ago

"Back to the nerding! Did someone mention scifi??"

Stop with your teasing you little minx. Next thing you'll be telling us you have a Lt Uhura outfit....

Hopefully.

over a year ago

"Back to the nerding! Did someone mention scifi??

Stop with your teasing you little minx. Next thing you'll be telling us you have a Lt Uhura outfit....

Hopefully."

Lt Uhura outfit... make that a 7of9 outfit.

over a year ago

the XIII game was great.. Almost like an interactive first person comic.

The Bioshock games are visually great too, with some quality SteamPunk.

over a year ago

Glasgow

"the XIII game was great.. Almost like an interactive first person comic.

"

Bioshock games are wonderful & beautiful. Actually, I would class them as art in their design since its not based in the real world or post apocalyptic world or anything, its wholly unique & well, basically art.

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

"the XIII game was great.. Almost like an interactive first person comic.

Bioshock games are wonderful & beautiful. Actually, I would class them as art in their design since its not based in the real world or post apocalyptic world or anything, its wholly unique & well, basically art."

I do love a bit of bio shock the future/deco mix is just right. Had it as my wallpaper for ages.

Costumes don't tend to fit me, my boobs are too big. I did dress up as Lara for Halloween when the original tomb raider came out, and yes I totally blame that little minx for bewitching me into gaming. Did anyone else save before the end of the Midas level in 2 then see how many idiot ions you could get her to turn to gold in? Lol

Yes I truly am sad

over a year ago

Anyone tried mount and blade warband ??

over a year ago

I loved the level of detail they went into for the Assassins creed franchise. The Ezio ones I mean. And I thought that the E3 trailers for Brotherhood and Revelations were worthy of any big budget film.

Art direction in games is worthy of recognition these days.

over a year ago

The art style in Borderlands is great, love the way it was made.

over a year ago

May not immediately spring to mind for most but....

FIFA 13 is stunning. Ok the crowds and player faces are not the most realistic but the actual gameplay is a work of art.

Many a time have walked into a room and saw football on the telly wondered who's playing, taking a split second to realise its FIFA

By *ustcutieWoman
over a year ago

edinburgh

"I loved the level of detail they went into for the Assassins creed franchise. The Ezio ones I mean. And I thought that the E3 trailers for Brotherhood and Revelations were worthy of any big budget film.

Art direction in games is worthy of recognition these days."

And love WoW too

over a year ago

"The art style in Borderlands is great, love the way it was made."

True, I like the graphic novel style. But it was done better in an older game called XIII.

By *woWayWorshipMan
over a year ago

Angus

"I loved the level of detail they went into for the Assassins creed franchise. The Ezio ones I mean. And I thought that the E3 trailers for Brotherhood and Revelations were worthy of any big budget film.

Art direction in games is worthy of recognition these days."

Can't say I was too keen on AC3 and I really don't like the fact that they're just cashing in now with AC4. The numbered games were supposed to follow Desmond's story...

Loved the Ezio trilogy though, AC2 was mindblowing when you compared it to the first!

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

"The art style in Borderlands is great, love the way it was made.

True, I like the graphic novel style. But it was done better in an older game called XIII."

Yes the comic book alive style, actually a lot harder to model than the current 3d sprites and such. 3d mapping has come so far in the last 10 years they are actually having to crank back on the reality. It's freaky getting mapped though, when I had it done I looked like kryten, was not amused lol

over a year ago

True, I like the graphic novel style. But it was done better in an older game called XIII.

Yes the comic book alive style, actually a lot harder to model than the current 3d sprites and such. 3d mapping has come so far in the last 10 years they are actually having to crank back on the reality. It's freaky getting mapped though, when I had it done I looked like kryten, was not amused lol"

So, Camille then!!

I'll get me coat...

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

Yes the comic book alive style, actually a lot harder to model than the current 3d sprites and such. 3d mapping has come so far in the last 10 years they are actually having to crank back on the reality. It's freaky getting mapped though, when I had it done I looked like kryten, was not amused lol

So, Camille then!!

I'll get me coat..."

No no, definitely kryten, all traces of femininity dissolved into a mess of polygons. I know they say the less ploys the better but come on!

over a year ago

"

So, Camille then!!

I'll get me coat...

No no, definitely kryten, all traces of femininity dissolved into a mess of polygons. I know they say the less ploys the better but come on! "

Yeah but I'll bet those polygons were hot hot hot!!!

By *cotsbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

"

So, Camille then!!

I'll get me coat...

No no, definitely kryten, all traces of femininity dissolved into a mess of polygons. I know they say the less ploys the better but come on!

Yeah but I'll bet those polygons were hot hot hot!!!

"

Nah, it was just a shitty model (I suck at 3d modelling! At least for organic modelling anyways)

By *-and-LCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Limbo was excellent. Also loved Flower and Journey from thatgamecompany, really different from the norm and incredibly beautiful. In terms of story and direction I think the Uncharted series is incredible too.

By *lasgowguy64Man
over a year ago

Hamilton

tera for the art... Coh for the gameplay and community...

over a year ago

In terms of art i can name a few.

Okami

Odinsphere

Katamari

No more heros

Valkyre Chronicles

Catherine

The Metal Gear Series (lets face it, theyre basically a film)

Thats just some off the top of my head, if you havent played them i suggest dipping into your wallet/purse and doing so. They're by no means shit.

over a year ago

Final Fantasy IX (the best one after 6)

Shadow of the collosuss

ICO

Bioshock Infinite

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Parappa the Rapper/Um-jamma-lammy (sequel)

Right i better stop before i just list a shit ton of games that i consider to be truly brilliant.

over a year ago

One more:

Deadly Premonition

By *jm1990Man
over a year ago

Coatbridge

I never thought I'd see a whole thread about gaming on fab

I think games can only fairly be called art if you can see a bit of creativity shining through. If we're talking about these games that get copied and pasted into a new box every year then no, that's not art. Unique games are good but I wouldn't call them art just for being different.

The sheer amount of time and effort that goes into games these days though is amazing. Way back in the day they had statues and sculptures. These days we've got games and Pixar films.

Post new Message to Thread