Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Suspended coffee scheme

Jump to newest

By *ndykay OP   Man
over a year ago

Falkirk

I've known about this scheme on the continent and some US cities for quite a while now and now a cafe in Glasgow has adopted it.

When you buy a coffee or tea, you can pay for an extra one and tell them to suspend it. Then at any time of the day if someone who is homeless comes in and there is a suspended coffee available, they can have it for free. I've even read about some places that will do it with sandwiches too. It's not unheard of for wealthy guys in groups of 3 or 4 to walk into a coffee shop, order their coffees and then buy 2-3 suspended coffees each.

What do you think of the scheme? If you had the money to spare, would you buy a suspended coffee?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If they supplied the suspended coffee at cost price maybe. Otherwise they are just using the homeless to increase profits

over a year ago

I think its a fantastic idea

By *uncouple981Couple
over a year ago

ayrshire

"If they supplied the suspended coffee at cost price maybe. Otherwise they are just using the homeless to increase profits"

Exactly! It's a good way to get multiple orders from one person.

In saying that though I would still buy an extra one if I was a shop that done it.

over a year ago

I would probably use this scheme but if there was a homeless person nearby I saw or in the vicinity I would just buy another and give them it when I went outside. The thing with this scheme is if 2 homeless persons went into coffee shop and asked if they were any coffees available what if there's only 1? Could cause problems and arguments but no scheme, situation is perfect I guess

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Sadly not many places would not welcome homeless.....so wouldnt encourage it...

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

".......... The thing with this scheme is if 2 homeless persons went into coffee shop and asked if they were any coffees available what if there's only 1? ............ "

I'm sure they'd settle for half a cup each.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"Sadly not many places would not welcome homeless.....so wouldnt encourage it..."

That should say not many would welcome......

By *ndykay OP   Man
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Sadly not many places would not welcome homeless.....so wouldnt encourage it...

That should say not many would welcome......"

In other countries, the scheme seems to work quite well. Yes it's not a perfect solution but I would feel better buying an extra cuppa rather than just handing over money to a homeless person. When I lived in London my ex and I would see the same guy all the time. He was in his 50's an everyone in the area knew him. He was polite and never begged, we would get him a cuppa when we were passing. I even got him a sandwich and a cuppa one day and we for talking and I found out all about his life. He was happier living rough. It was a good feeling knowing that I'd fed him a half decent lunch. That's why I think this scheme is good as yes, there will be some that abuse it but overall I think it will make it easier for regular people to help the homeless without worrying if its the right thing to do

over a year ago

The whole idea started to get the homeless people to stop begging on the street, its very prominent in other countries where begging is illegal. If they are hugnry / cold etc they need food and hot drinks rather than coins in their pocket

By *ndykay OP   Man
over a year ago

Falkirk

"

The whole idea started to get the homeless people to stop begging on the street, its very prominent in other countries where begging is illegal. If they are hugnry / cold etc they need food and hot drinks rather than coins in their pocket"

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"Sadly not many places would not welcome homeless.....so wouldnt encourage it...

In other countries, the scheme seems to work quite well. Yes it's not a perfect solution but I would feel better buying an extra cuppa rather than just handing over money to a homeless person. When I lived in London my ex and I would see the same guy all the time. He was in his 50's an everyone in the area knew him. He was polite and never begged, we would get him a cuppa when we were passing. I even got him a sandwich and a cuppa one day and we for talking and I found out all about his life. He was happier living rough. It was a good feeling knowing that I'd fed him a half decent lunch. That's why I think this scheme is good as yes, there will be some that abuse it but overall I think it will make it easier for regular people to help the homeless without worrying if its the right thing to do "

Wasnt saying that I, myself wouldnt encourage it.....

By *ndykay OP   Man
over a year ago

Falkirk

In other countries, the scheme seems to work quite well. Yes it's not a perfect solution but I would feel better buying an extra cuppa rather than just handing over money to a homeless person. When I lived in London my ex and I would see the same guy all the time. He was in his 50's an everyone in the area knew him. He was polite and never begged, we would get him a cuppa when we were passing. I even got him a sandwich and a cuppa one day and we for talking and I found out all about his life. He was happier living rough. It was a good feeling knowing that I'd fed him a half decent lunch. That's why I think this scheme is good as yes, there will be some that abuse it but overall I think it will make it easier for regular people to help the homeless without worrying if its the right thing to do

Wasnt saying that I, myself wouldnt encourage it....."

Cool. That's fair enough - not everyone would

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

The other countries that have it in place....

Do their homeless get benefits??

over a year ago

Why not take it a step further. All those with spare rooms who oppose the "bedroom tax" could give a homeless person a bed thus solving both problems.

over a year ago

"The other countries that have it in place....

Do their homeless get benefits??"

probably not. There are very few countries in the world that reward people that dont have jobs with free money and houses

By *ndykay OP   Man
over a year ago

Falkirk

Do their homeless get benefits??"

I have no idea. But I was just asking what people felt about buying an extra coffee and leaving it for a homeless person

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

probably not. There are very few countries in the world that reward people that dont have jobs with free money and houses"

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

I have no idea. But I was just asking what people felt about buying an extra coffee and leaving it for a homeless person "

Just curious.....

Would happily buy a homeless person a cuppa.....

over a year ago

I have no idea. But I was just asking what people felt about buying an extra coffee and leaving it for a homeless person "

thinkbits a great idea why not help Some1 less fortunate than yourself its that not wot god teaches us, it's a Christian think to-do. Or as Some1 mocked me yesterday and I quote ( wots swinging got to do with being Christian)

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" thinkbits a great idea why not help Some1 less fortunate than yourself its that not wot god teaches us, it's a Christian think to-do. Or as Some1 mocked me yesterday and I quote ( wots swinging got to do with being Christian) "

Christians don't have a monopoly on doing the right thing.

Even those of us who don't believe in non-existent sky fairies and have no time for paid liars in fancy dress have been known to do the right thing.

over a year ago

and back onto the topic, i would rather buy them a coffee and a sandwich or burger, than give them the money. there but for the grace of god (or whoever) go i.

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

I'd rather buy a coffee as a take out and give it to someone - I know from experience that many of these coffee shops discourage the homeless from even going in - so they basically get money for nothing as if noone goes in, what do they do with the extra coffees bought? Bet they dont send staff out with them to give them away.

When large corporations can find tax loopholes and get out of paying into the pot, why should we help their profits by buying extra that may never go where its needed.

I'd rather give the £3 or whatever to a local homeless charity to really help the situation, and buy a cuppa in a takeaway cup for someone who needs it.

By *bi_scotlandTV/TS
over a year ago

Glasgow

How will they know if the person asking for it is genuinely homeless? Can see this being a way of getting a free lunch

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

Just read a little more into it - form starbucks FB page "When you pay for a suspended coffee, we’ll give coffee to that value to our longstanding charity partner, Oasis, which will then distribute the coffee to its community hubs across the UK, and we’ll match the value of each suspended coffee in a cash donation to Oasis. This will help provide warmth and comfort for those in need. "

SO it likely won't even be kept local. I'm definitely not going to be buying suspended coffees then!

Looking into it - oasis seems to be based down south (bristol to london) and is a church based charity... No thanks, not for me.

By *ndykay OP   Man
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Just read a little more into it - form starbucks FB page "When you pay for a suspended coffee, we’ll give coffee to that value to our longstanding charity partner, Oasis, which will then distribute the coffee to its community hubs across the UK, and we’ll match the value of each suspended coffee in a cash donation to Oasis. This will help provide warmth and comfort for those in need. "

SO it likely won't even be kept local. I'm definitely not going to be buying suspended coffees then!

Looking into it - oasis seems to be based down south (bristol to london) and is a church based charity... No thanks, not for me."

The cafe I heard about in Glasgow today was definitely NOT Starbucks. So whilst you don't like how they do it, please don't tar others with the same brush.

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

"

The cafe I heard about in Glasgow today was definitely NOT Starbucks. So whilst you don't like how they do it, please don't tar others with the same brush. "

Did I ever say it was every cafe doing this? I was just pointing out that not every company doing it will keep it local - which is surely the point of a suspended coffee.

By *ndykay OP   Man
over a year ago

Falkirk

"

The cafe I heard about in Glasgow today was definitely NOT Starbucks. So whilst you don't like how they do it, please don't tar others with the same brush.

Did I ever say it was every cafe doing this? I was just pointing out that not every company doing it will keep it local - which is surely the point of a suspended coffee."

Oh I quite agree with you. Starbucks are not the sort of coffee shop I would use anyway to be honest. It was more the idea of paying for a suspended coffee that was then given to a homeless person at that outlet that I was interested in. Otherwise what's the point?

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

The village I live in only has a wee cafe in the leisure centre anyway (pop about 1.5k if you count the sheep and the local farms lol)... and even in the "big" city (hahaha) theres a limited choice - as its pretty much shopping centres killing smaller retailers.

I'd rather give my time and cash locally.

By *olly Gentle GiantMan
over a year ago

Glenrothes

Great idea - Ive boiught an extra coffee n sandwich before and handed it out - so yeah great to this happening.

Off on a tangent I know but this thread reminded me of a trick we used to do on the Forth Road Bridge - pay your toll and pay for the car behind - then watch the rear view mirror with amusement.

Them were the days lol x

By *iFemaleStr8MaleCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Great idea cafe gets more custom, homeless get drinks, can't see Starbucks or Costa running with it though.

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

"Great idea cafe gets more custom, homeless get drinks, can't see Starbucks or Costa running with it though. "

If you read above, you'll see starbucks are kinda doing it - but in a pretty limited way... (I won't be doing it at starbucks on the rare occasion I'm in a place big enough to have one lol)

By *iFemaleStr8MaleCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Ah never read that...interesting.

over a year ago

I think I would rather see the scheme that Pret A Manger operate in some of their shops where at the end of the day all the food left at the end of the day is distributed to local charities. Although its coming out of the shops overheads we have all contributed towards that by our patronage.

Post new Message to Thread