Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Tam Shepherds

Jump to newest

By *reacherUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Livingston

Had a bit of time to spare yesterday before a meeting and had a wander around some Glasgow shops. As I walked down Queen Street I noticed that Tam Shepherds joke shop had gone part of my pocket money childhood.

What shops do others remember and miss?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Listen record shops

McCormacks music shop

Lennox sweet shops

By *olly Gentle GiantMan
over a year ago

Glenrothes

Lewis's on Argyle Street - went as a kid to Santa's grotto there.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"........ As I walked down Queen Street I noticed that Tam Shepherds joke shop had gone part of my pocket money childhood........?"

You sure about that? I reckon it was there yessterday.

By *-and-LCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Didn't know Tam Sheperds had gone, I was in there only a few months back, real shame. Main one I miss is 23rd Precinct Records, spent loads of time and money in there over the years.

By *reacherUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Livingston

"........ As I walked down Queen Street I noticed that Tam Shepherds joke shop had gone part of my pocket money childhood........?

You sure about that? I reckon it was there yessterday."

I looked where I thought it used to be ... maybe I was looking in the wrong place ... but it's got a discussion going.

I miss Joe Bloggs records too ... and McCormacks. Spent many Sat afternoons in there. Then home on the bus reading the sleeve notes on my new purchases.

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

SW Scotland

[Removed by poster at 05/01/13 18:52:56]

over a year ago

tam shepherds is still there, between argyll street and royasl exchange square opposite primark on q street...

By *unknSoulCouple
over a year ago

Dumfriesish

Goldbergs. Argyle st.

over a year ago

not a shop as such but stakis steakhouse was fabulous

over a year ago

The wee wumin that made they cracker things beside the muscle shop at the Barrowland sign...were like prawn crackers but wurnae prawn... could smell them aw er the Barra's...

over a year ago

"The wee wumin that made they cracker things beside the muscle shop at the Barrowland sign...were like prawn crackers but wurnae prawn... could smell them aw er the Barra's..."

Wow...I used to love them.Used to look forward to my visit yo the Barra's.Remember Pearsons Market?I used to buy loads of records and comics!!

By *lue4youCouple
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Granny Blacks pub in candleriggs, demolished for redevelopment... Booo Hisss

over a year ago

the 50 bob tailors

over a year ago

"Had a bit of time to spare yesterday before a meeting and had a wander around some Glasgow shops. As I walked down Queen Street I noticed that Tam Shepherds joke shop had gone "

Tam Shepherds is thankfully still open,and still run by one of the greatest card conjurors and sleight-of-hand magicians of the last 100 years.

over a year ago

Yep, Lewis's in Argyle St.

The Clyde Model Dockyard in the Arcade.

C & A's in the Trongate.

Here's a wee question: How is Argyle Street spelt as it is, when the county is spelt Argyll? And strictly speaking it's not a shire. Is there actually a connection between the 2 or am I way off track?

Where's someone like Cliff Hanley or Jock Weir when you need them?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Granny Blacks pub in candleriggs, demolished for redevelopment... Booo Hisss "

I was living in the Merchant City then, think the building collapsed

was sad

By *ucycuteTV/TS
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Didn't know Tam Sheperds had gone, I was in there only a few months back, real shame. Main one I miss is 23rd Precinct Records, spent loads of time and money in there over the years."

So miss 23rd Precinct. Tam Sheperds is still there, or was yesterday when I passed x

By *horstrollMan
over a year ago

Caprona

"Yep, Lewis's in Argyle St.

C & A's in the Trongate.

Here's a wee question: How is Argyle Street spelt as it is, when the county is spelt Argyll? And strictly speaking it's not a shire. Is there actually a connection between the 2 or am I way off track?

Where's someone like Cliff Hanley or Jock Weir when you need them? "

Spelling of Argyle was modernised to Argyll, shire comes down to county governance. All to do with North Britain being the name of Scotland a long time ago. The Balmoral hotel changed its name in the 80s, formerly known as the North British Hotel due to the railway company owning the hotel.

By *eatherWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Granny blacks wasny demolished it fell doon that used to be my local that and the riggs along the road many a night spent walking from one to another and i did say walking

over a year ago

What Every Woman Wants in Argyll Street. Also that hippy place in Byres Road and Great Western Road that sold lovely jangly Indian dresses and skirts.ahhh sigh.

By *macv9Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Here's a wee question: How is Argyle Street spelt as it is, when the county is spelt Argyll? And strictly speaking it's not a shire. Is there actually a connection between the 2 or am I way off track?"

Quick history lesson...

Argyle Street was previously called Westergait because it ran all the way from Glasgow Cross to a port roughly where Partick is now (the Western Gate to the city). Shortly after the Jacobite uprisings, it was renamed in honour of the Duke of Argyle in recognition of his contribution to the Government's cause. Subsequently, the Duke modernised the spelling, hence the new spelling of the county, but Glasgow have left it as it was.

Hope that's of interest.

Pleased to hear Tam Shepherd's is still there. Where else would one go to buy a turd in a can?

over a year ago

"The wee wumin that made they cracker things beside the muscle shop at the Barrowland sign...were like prawn crackers but wurnae prawn... could smell them aw er the Barra's..."

Gawd I remember her. Used to go there with my mum and dad after the butcher stall then the tunnocks stall.

By *anarkshirelassCouple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

"Granny Blacks pub in candleriggs, demolished for redevelopment... Booo Hisss "

God spent many a day and night in Granny Blacks..even before we were going on night shift...lol lol

By *eatherWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

yes and their meals were fab and mikes quiz nights were great remember when Cathy and Allan ran it

over a year ago

Walrus and carpenter toy shop at sauchiehall street .....oh the memories lol x

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

Granny Blacks was amazing. Used to go there for lunch when I worked round the corner, their baked potatoes were amazing!

Candleriggs market was always good for a look about. Tower Records under Central Bridge.

By *anarkshirelassCouple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

I fequented Granny Blacks from 1978 to 1982 when Bobby ran it. Probbaly the very first openly 'gay man' I had ever met but a lovely guy. His clientele were very protective of him when eejits passed 'homo phobic comments' but god, he could more than handle them

By *eatherWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

BOBBY is still alive and living in springburn

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Yep, Lewis's in Argyle St.

C & A's in the Trongate.

Where's someone like Cliff Hanley or Jock Weir when you need them?

Spelling of Argyle was modernised to Argyll, shire comes down to county governance. All to do with North Britain being the name of Scotland a long time ago. The Balmoral hotel changed its name in the 80s, formerly known as the North British Hotel due to the railway company owning the hotel."

The Street is Argyle but the Arcade is Argyll.

By *anarkshirelassCouple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

Good to know Heather.... I rememeber he had a wee flat in High Street, so obviously moved on.

He must be a fair age now though???

over a year ago

Weegie's cant spell LOL

over a year ago

Bonkers office party's bring bk bonkers lol

By *eatherWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

lass he was staying in the houses at the old mari curie centre they allo got moved out when the new one got built he hasnt been to well recently

over a year ago

"Here's a wee question: How is Argyle Street spelt as it is, when the county is spelt Argyll? And strictly speaking it's not a shire. Is there actually a connection between the 2 or am I way off track?

Quick history lesson...

Argyle Street was previously called Westergait because it ran all the way from Glasgow Cross to a port roughly where Partick is now (the Western Gate to the city). Shortly after the Jacobite uprisings, it was renamed in honour of the Duke of Argyle in recognition of his contribution to the Government's cause. Subsequently, the Duke modernised the spelling, hence the new spelling of the county, but Glasgow have left it as it was.

Hope that's of interest.

Pleased to hear Tam Shepherd's is still there. Where else would one go to buy a turd in a can? "

Thanks for your explanation, never knew all that.

over a year ago

"Weegie's cant spell LOL"

Ehhh.........you feeling brave?? lolol

By *reacherUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Livingston

What was the place called off George Square where the barmaids wore basques. I remember many afternoons spent in there perving instead of going back to Uni.

over a year ago

"Weegie's cant spell LOL"

LOL....did i manage ok?...Kinda had to google fu it but all's well that ends well eh!

over a year ago

Not a shop, but i remember Henry Afrikas nightclub, and Hollywood Studios. Also the Tuxedo Princess on the Clyde.

Ahh, back in the day when i was a teenager (17/18) chancing it to get into over 21s places. Never got a knock back or I.D'd

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"What was the place called off George Square where the barmaids wore basques. I remember many afternoons spent in there perving instead of going back to Uni."

Wenches? On Hanover St.

By *macv9Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"What was the place called off George Square where the barmaids wore basques. I remember many afternoons spent in there perving instead of going back to Uni."

That might be The Devil's Advocate you're thinking of

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"What was the place called off George Square where the barmaids wore basques. I remember many afternoons spent in there perving instead of going back to Uni.

That might be The Devil's Advocate you're thinking of"

The Devil's Advocate is next to the Sheriff Court.

By *anarkshirelassCouple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

Wenches it was.....lost my tooth in a pint tumbler there....thats another story...lol lol

By *anarkshirelassCouple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

[Removed by poster at 08/01/13 17:25:54]

By *macv9Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

The Devil's Advocate is next to the Sheriff Court."

It is now. But there was a pub of the same name in the city centre at one time, somewhere south of George Square but I can't quite place it.

By *reacherUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Livingston

The beer was rubbish but the talent was good behind the bar. I remember tho' the girls wore a big coat to collect glasses.

Curlers was a pub I used to go to too for the music. Is it still there?

I am usually in meetings once a week in Glasgow now and I take the train so if it's still there I might just pop in for a beer.

over a year ago

Jackie o's on the prom in Kirkcaldy, great wee place to boogy the night away

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"........

Curlers was a pub I used to go to too for the music. Is it still there?

I am usually in meetings once a week in Glasgow now and I take the train so if it's still there I might just pop in for a beer."

Yes, it's still there but it's become a bit more genteel in recent years.

By *oldsteadyMan
over a year ago

glasgow

Tam Shepherd's is still open!

Don't know where the OP was walking but I saw it open and doing business yesterday!

Maybe just a great trick by auld Tam!

By *ir laugh a lotMan
over a year ago

glasgow

it was called berlin ,, and devils advocate was on corner of george street and hanover street ...i was the resident dj in it and lucifers and terminal one discos ,, damn sooo long ago

over a year ago

Pancake place. Now there was a treat. I did see one however in Oban a few months ago

By *reacherUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Livingston

So many of the good shops have gone. All we have now are multiples.

Less places with character.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"So many of the good shops have gone. All we have now are multiples.

Less places with character."

I can't speak for Livingston but Glasgow has loads of one off/ one or two branch shops.

Post new Message to Thread