Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

"Actions we have took"

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Watching the BBC news.

Apparently those of us relying on trains over the holidays, are being held to ransom by a Shop Steward who doesn't know that the phrase could, or should be, "actions we have taken..."

How can he expect to be taken seriously, and generate public sympathy for his colleague, if not sympathy, whenhe cannot even speak properly

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *avygravy60Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Got to love a pendant !

By *iverview1Couple
over a year ago

gourock

You have no message on your profile except sydney uuni ect at least he tried to say what he wanted xxx

By *araidWoman
over a year ago

the west (ish)

Hmm. Maybe all shoppies should be made to attend elocution lessons - are you an elocution TEACHER perchance?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I was more surprised by the Scotrail manager who insisted the employee in question 'works for me'.

He doesn't, he works for Scotrail and if said manager's ego can't tell the difference, we're all f*ck*d.

Has everyone forgotten the delight shown when a ticket examiner threw someone off the train 'cos he didn't have the correct ticket a few months back?

All that's happened now is that a ticket examiner has questioned a ticket holder (or non-ticket holder) and they've turned on the water works.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You cant get me im part of the union well done lad

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

Maybe he lost his train of thought.

Or got sidetracked.

over a year ago

or he got above his station

By *illow PimpMan
over a year ago

Midlothian

This topic has gone off the rails, let's try get it back on track eh.

By *horstrollMan
over a year ago

Caprona

"Watching the BBC news.

Apparently those of us relying on trains over the holidays, are being held to ransom by a Shop Steward who doesn't know that the phrase could, or should be, "actions we have taken..."

How can he expect to be taken seriously, and generate public sympathy for his colleague, if not sympathy, when he cannot even speak properly"

Elocution is not always airs graces or said with a silver spoon.

over a year ago

I hate Unions, one out all out? Get to fecking work......

over a year ago

"I hate Unions, one out all out? Get to fecking work......"

Thatcher would just love you.

Without unions we'd all be on minimum wage (oh, except the company owners. They'd be living in the big house on the estate).

over a year ago

Thatcher did love me, i voted for her...oh and mob rule is just wrong. Once again Knottys we disagree.

Union people are sheep, follow everyone else and when someone needs to put food on the table and breaks the picket line to work, they get attacked. Unions are bullies... If you have ever run a company you would see that!

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

It was mainly down to unions and the sacrifices and fighting spirit of our forefathers that the kids were out of the mines, just have a wee read about some of the history eg the Blantyre mine disaster where over a hundred were killed and they threw the widows and the kids on the streets as there was no loonger a worker staying in the mine owned cottages.

Yes get to work indeed.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

"Thatcher did love me, i voted for her...oh and mob rule is just wrong. Once again Knottys we disagree.

Union people are sheep, follow everyone else and when someone needs to put food on the table and breaks the picket line to work, they get attacked. Unions are bullies... If you have ever run a company you would see that!"

I am a union member and no sheep and all Thatcher did was create a nation of money hungry selfish bastards that in the end fucked the country if not the world and guess what they are not paying every one else is.

over a year ago

"Thatcher did love me, i voted for her...oh and mob rule is just wrong. Once again Knottys we disagree.

Union people are sheep, follow everyone else and when someone needs to put food on the table and breaks the picket line to work, they get attacked. Unions are bullies... If you have ever run a company you would see that!"

Union people are sheep?

Unions are bullies?

Utter pish, you've no idea what you're talking about.

I've been a member of the same union for 24 years and never once have I seen any form of bullying, unless you include management bullies at the meetings I've sat at.

What I have seen are some workers getting decent representation on work related issues and a few cases of blatant management bullying.

Maybe if you'd more experience of a decent union official you'd be less inclined to bang your big company owner stick.

Oh, and yes, I disagree with you (again)!!

over a year ago

Keep paying your union fees, keeping someone rich. Do you remember the miners?.. when they did try and work their houses were attacked... is that the correct thing to do? just because you dont like something, doesnt mean everyone else losses their lively hood, as i said, gang rule.

Also this year the diamond miners in Africa???? No, unions are bullies... let me work...

over a year ago

"It was mainly down to unions and the sacrifices and fighting spirit of our forefathers that the kids were out of the mines, just have a wee read about some of the history eg the Blantyre mine disaster where over a hundred were killed and they threw the widows and the kids on the streets as there was no loonger a worker staying in the mine owned cottages.

Yes get to work indeed."

Although I think your points will fall on deaf ears.

By *ane DTV/TS
over a year ago

Glasgow.

"I hate Unions, one out all out? Get to fecking work......

Thatcher would just love you.

Without unions we'd all be on minimum wage (oh, except the company owners. They'd be living in the big house on the estate)."

What minimum wage, she would have abolished it!

I have to laugh when the tories blame labour for the banking collapse. Labour had lite touch supervision, the tories wanted nae touch at all... Imagine if Alaistair D had stood up 5 years back and proposed the current regulations.

Cue foaming at the mouth rich boys telling everyone that the new rules would wreck the uk economy...

See politicians, see two bit scum bags who care f all for you and I.

over a year ago

Ahhh the miners strike.

I wondered when that would get mentioned.

Thatchers finest moment, just ask any miner. Hang about, there aren't any now.

By *andsCouple
over a year ago

Edin

"Ahhh the miners strike.

Thatchers finest moment, just ask any miner. Hang about, there aren't any now."

we are both miners' children .... we lived with very little money, we were taken from school every lunchtime by village members to be fed and watered .. we were collected after school again to be fed and watered because our parents could not afford to feed us all .... thats how we lived under the rules of Margaret Thatcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

over a year ago

"we are both miners' children .... we lived with very little money, we were taken from school every lunchtime by village members to be fed and watered .. we were collected after school again to be fed and watered because our parents could not afford to feed us all .... thats how we lived under the rules of Margaret Thatcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

I know plenty like you Trace.

I'm sure she's very proud of what she did to these communities.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

"we are both miners' children .... we lived with very little money, we were taken from school every lunchtime by village members to be fed and watered .. we were collected after school again to be fed and watered because our parents could not afford to feed us all .... thats how we lived under the rules of Margaret Thatcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know plenty like you Trace.

I'm sure she's very proud of what she did to these communities."

I always felt the other unions could have done more to help the miners rather than the token collections we had, after all everyone knew Maggie was out to trample the working man.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

13000 men in the shipyards in my town before Maggie and 200 after her what a lady eh.

May she rot in hell.

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

Gordon gekko,is taking over.

No society,no community,only me.

Is that the britain you want to live in.

I have no problem with entreprenuers making money,but not at the expense of everyone else,and everything that was good about this country.

Remember when it all goes tits up,and their mistakes,and greed,need paying for,it's me and you that have to pay.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS
over a year ago

glasgow

Unions have there good points but all the striking for more money does my head In as ur just being greedy and us the every day people get shafted as we get the delays or coz u get ur pay rise we get extra charges to pay for it.

over a year ago

"Unions have there good points but all the striking for more money does my head In as ur just being greedy and us the every day people get shafted as we get the delays or coz u get ur pay rise we get extra charges to pay for it. "

lol, priceless.

Striking for a payrise is always a last resort, usually after months of talks with employers who refuse to budge and want all the workers terms and conditions in return.

Maybe we should just work for free and save you getting extra charges.

Strikes are usually about terms and conditions being taken away but the press spin it as greedy workers looking for cash if you believe all you read and see.

p.s. you do know there has been a public sector pay freeze for the last few years? Seen any of them striking for more money?

By *dglasgow30TV/TS
over a year ago

glasgow

It the last few years I had to take a 7% wage drop wish I had the option of a pay freeze. Working for nothing tell that to all the workers over the last few years that have worked extra hours for nothing to help the small company's they work for meet the contracts . As for the public sector they don't get hit as bad as the rest. My x worked for Glasgow council and took voluntary redundancy she got 20 grand after just working there for 5 years then they take her back on for temp work lol joke. That's what the unions can do for u lol . When unions do good on welfare am all up for that.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS
over a year ago

glasgow

And when I worked with bas on the Clyde 2006 bas wanted to take away our 15 min break in the afternoon what did our union do it sold our break for 5 grand for every worker great job unions

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

"And when I worked with bas on the Clyde 2006 bas wanted to take away our 15 min break in the afternoon what did our union do it sold our break for 5 grand for every worker great job unions "

Sorry but the union sell the tea break the workers did by voting and the management know if they dangle a large enough carrot it will be taken when we were in the same situation the union recommended that we dont sell our conditions management know that enough need the money to carry it through.

By *horstrollMan
over a year ago

Caprona

"13000 men in the shipyards in my town before Maggie and 200 after her what a lady eh.

May she rot in hell."

Nothing to do with shipbuilding being closed down in favour of cheaper labour elsewhere. My father worked on the QE2, uncle worked in Govan before his redundacy. Clyde Shipbuilding was gong bust before Maggie came to power.....

The grey funnel line has kept two shipyards alive

By *dglasgow30TV/TS
over a year ago

glasgow

It was all the apprentices that made us loose the vote and the union did nothing to stop bas going down that root. Most of the apprentices said we don't care we want the money as we don't

Plan to stay after they qualify . So where was the union for the career worker that didn't want it. The union just went with the numbers not the bigger picture. So on paper it was the majority vote that won. Don't get me wrong unions have their good points with sick pay and Human rights,welfare. Just think striking at busy times is just to get the publc involved is crap as the public have enough crap to deal with in their life's

over a year ago

"The union just went with the numbers"

I believe they call that democracy!!

over a year ago

" Don't get me wrong unions have their good points with sick pay and Human rights,welfare. Just think striking at busy times is just to get the publc involved is crap as the public have enough crap to deal with in their life's "

lmao, and I believe that's called wanting your cake and eating it.

You'd like the strikes at a time when it's convenient for you?

Are you for real?????

By *nTCouple
over a year ago

funland

well i obviously couldnt let this one go given i have been a trade union representative for 19 years. I became a shop steward because i couldnt stand by and watch workers too scared to speak up for themselves being bullied, harrassed and intimitated by management. Our union is a member led democratic union so they decide what the union does by exercising their voting rights, so sheep they certainly are not and i think it's insulting to intelligent people to assume that because they want to join a trade union then they are missing brain cells!!

As for being rich, most union reps, like myself, are lay reps so dont receive any extra money for doing the job we do; i get paid as a nurse because that's my real job - i work longer hours than i would in my nursing role.

As for the miners - the view expressed is very one sided. I am the grandaughter of a miner, daughter of a soldier and sister of a policewoman so have seen all sides. There were a few bad miners who were violent, but then there were a few bad policemen who delighted in the miners plight!!

And finally, you dont have to have a good command of the queen's english to be a bloody good shop steward - i assume the steward interviewed must be good at his job as he has been elected by his members. The strike itself will i am sure cause major disruption, which is what it is designed to do or why bother. I watched the news last night to see a member of the public complain that it was a disgrace they were going on strike as Christmas time was a season for families getting together and enjoying the festivities. Tell that to the sacked worker who will have no money or employment for doing what he is paid to do!!

I for one fully support the action and hope Scotrail management find some goodwill in their hearts and reinstate the guy. In my opinion they are the ones who have caused the strike and the ones with the power to end it!1

By *dglasgow30TV/TS
over a year ago

glasgow

Fuck the cake Am mot in a union as I think they r shite.yea numbers can be fixed. 600 hundred full time workers then get 700 short term workers in what U think the short term workers are going to vote for? Strike when it's not one of the busy times of year. Ur just trying to get normal ppl to get upset and back u against the company's . That's just a cheap and low bully boy tactic.

By *nTCouple
over a year ago

funland

"Unions have there good points but all the striking for more money does my head In as ur just being greedy and us the every day people get shafted as we get the delays or coz u get ur pay rise we get extra charges to pay for it. "

i am a nurse who has had their pay frozen for 2 years, had an increase in my pension subscription last April and again next April and on top of that my fees to be on the nurses register have doubled. I am £150 a month worse off than i was 3 years ago. Pay rise? What pay rise??????????

over a year ago

"Fuck the cake Am mot in a union as I think they r shite."

hmmmmmmm!!!!!

I think you're a bit biased.

over a year ago

"Unions have there good points but all the striking for more money does my head In as ur just being greedy and us the every day people get shafted as we get the delays or coz u get ur pay rise we get extra charges to pay for it.

i am a nurse who has had their pay frozen for 2 years, had an increase in my pension subscription last April and again next April and on top of that my fees to be on the nurses register have doubled. I am £150 a month worse off than i was 3 years ago. Pay rise? What pay rise??????????"

By *dglasgow30TV/TS
over a year ago

glasgow

Are the nurses striking? I was making a point about striking over pay increases. Most of the uk work force havent had a wage increase since 2008 2009.If ur working for the nhs yes u might have had ur pay capped just now but where is the go erment going to get the extra money in this day and age only way for u would be for the goverment to give up nhs and for us to go the way of america as the uk cant afford to pay high wages . And lots have lost their jobs. But that's coz of what the banks have done to us all. If ur company are making record profits and that doesn't filter down then I kind of understand that u should have ur pay increase unfrozen . Buy The rail thing is ment to upset normal ppl at a busy time and that's sad that the union have went down that road. If the guy was sacked unfairly as the union clam then take it to court and deal with it that way y go on strike at Xmas when only about 24% voted for the strike.

By *nTCouple
over a year ago

funland

"Are the nurses striking? I was making a point about striking over pay increases. Most of the uk work force havent had a wage increase since 2008 2009.If ur working for the nhs yes u might have had ur pay capped just now but where is the go erment going to get the extra money in this day and age only way for u would be for the goverment to give up nhs and for us to go the way of america as the uk cant afford to pay high wages . And lots have lost their jobs. But that's coz of what the banks have done to us all. If ur company are making record profits and that doesn't filter down then I kind of understand that u should have ur pay increase unfrozen . Buy The rail thing is ment to upset normal ppl at a busy time and that's sad that the union have went down that road. If the guy was sacked unfairly as the union clam then take it to court and deal with it that way y go on strike at Xmas when only about 24% voted for the strike."

unfortunately the union cant take them to court until they have exhausted the company appeals process which management can drag out for months - those are the union laws maggie thatcher introduced so i fully understand why they have had to strike. A strike is only effective if it causes maximum impact so thats why now.

as for the nurses - yes we were on strike a year ago over the pension increases. We dont need to go the way of america because as you quite rightly pointed out we could have used the money we spent (oh and without getting to vote on the decision) bailing out the banks. My last pay rise which was only 1% was in 2009 - i have yet to meet a nurse on huge wages. but the private sector workers are not the only ones to suffer a pay cut - as i said already i have had a 9% pay cut over the last 3 years.

Anyway this a democratic country where like this forum people have rights. The union voted 3 to 1 in favour of Industrial Action (not 24% as they wouldnt legally be allowed to strike) and that is their right.

My advise is support the poor guy who was sacked - get a bus!!

By *ane DTV/TS
over a year ago

Glasgow.

So when does a democratic mandate fail to be a democratic mandate.

Just because someone fails to vote, it doesn't invalidate the votes of others.

In recent polls for police and crime commissioners in England the turn out was 18.5%.

Does the low turn out invalidate the final result?

As for unions, go read up on the Calton weavers and the Battle of George Square 1919.

The latter partly caused by the unions wanting to reduce the working week, why? Because they wanted to open up more jobs for the 1,000's of men returning from the great war.

In 'a land fit for hero's' they were met with poverty and destitution. (I was privileged to know my great grandfather who fought in the great war, his stories of the war and it's aftermath stay with me still).

Unions have moved on from the monsters they were in the 50's to early 70's, as has 'society'.

For a union to go on strike, they must hold a postal ballot - this is not a cheap option. For a dispute over a dismissal to reach this point means that there has been a failure to negotiate properly by both sides.

I hope you never get bullied by a colleague or falsely accused of a dismissal offence because with out the help of a union, you're in the hands of m'learned friends, Sue, Grabbit & Run, and that's bloody expensive.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS
over a year ago

glasgow

Thanx TNT for explaining and breaking some of it down. The 24% was what it said in a artical on who voted for it.

Jane d I wasn't around in the 50 or 70. This is only like every 1 has a right to. my opinion.

Has all the other options on rectifying the sacking been exhausted or is this the union just using the thousands of ppl that use scotrail as cannon fodder as a tool to apply more pressure. Next we will be like the French with the dmt. Rail strikes marine blockades and transports go slows. Anyway sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers xx

over a year ago

I don't vote never have never will bur reading this thread its basically turned into slagging Maggie.

I'm no fan, she snatched my milk, but people forget the state of the UK and the reason she was voted in. The once mighty empire on its knees begging the yanks for aid. She is the only politican in my living memory male or female who had the halls to do what needed done. Coal gas steel were all money pits and it was cheaper to by abroad. It had to be done and I witnessed the yuppie x

Culture in the 80s and 90s which shows it worked. The current recession was part of that 30 year plan. They knew the bubble would burst but they ultimately dragged Britain out of the industrial age into the digital.

over a year ago

As for the unions it was them that gave us black outs and the 3 day week - creating the conditions for Maggie to come to power.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

"I don't vote never have never will bur reading this thread its basically turned into slagging Maggie.

I'm no fan, she snatched my milk, but people forget the state of the UK and the reason she was voted in. The once mighty empire on its knees begging the yanks for aid. She is the only politican in my living memory male or female who had the halls to do what needed done. Coal gas steel were all money pits and it was cheaper to by abroad. It had to be done and I witnessed the yuppie x

Culture in the 80s and 90s which shows it worked. The current recession was part of that 30 year plan. They knew the bubble would burst but they ultimately dragged Britain out of the industrial age into the digital. "

Most of these things were cheaper because there was no investment when I was serving my time in the shipyards in the 70s they were still using machinery from the victorian age couple that with the slave labour being used abroad of course its going to be cheaper but to throw millions on the dole and eho then pay not tax or NI and then they have to draw dole I cant see the sense there

At the same time Germany and other European countries were paying higher wages than the UK but didnt see the need to close down their manufacturing base.

I also worked in Linwood and you knew you would be forced out the door as soon as the park was filled with cars and believe me the unions bent over backwards to the management to stop it every time but managements BULLYING was unbelievable even resorting to assualt at times and of course in the papers it went down as wildcat strikes, if only some knew what went on they might not be so down on the unions.

By *nTCouple
over a year ago

funland

well said _acread!! the unions always seem to get the blame - the union is a collective of workers. It wasnt the workers who gave us 3 day weeks - it was bad national policies. We spend billions on nuclear weapons and bailing out banks (lets me be honest the first one to push the button will end the world anyway so why do we have to make sure we could be one of the first) and then blame the unions.

I also remember Maggie Thatcher's policies - apart from single handedly destryoing Britain's industry or privatising it to allow the rich to get richer, she caused the start of the decline in our NHS - a legacy that still lives on. Yip she had the balls to implement these destructive policies but that doesnt make them the right decisions. She was a bad bad lady where the working classes were concerned

I have voted since i was 18 - i feel it gives me at least the right to complain about the goverment of the day and their policies.

Lets hope the Scotrail managers see sense and reinstate the poor worker. Everybody is blaming the union for the upcoming strikes - me i blame the managers - they can end the dispute as easily as the unions; yet again the workers get the blame.......

By *andsCouple
over a year ago

Edin

"well said _acread!! the unions always seem to get the blame - the union is a collective of workers. It wasnt the workers who gave us 3 day weeks - it was bad national policies. We spend billions on nuclear weapons and bailing out banks (lets me be honest the first one to push the button will end the world anyway so why do we have to make sure we could be one of the first) and then blame the unions.

I also remember Maggie Thatcher's policies - apart from single handedly destryoing Britain's industry or privatising it to allow the rich to get richer, she caused the start of the decline in our NHS - a legacy that still lives on. Yip she had the balls to implement these destructive policies but that doesnt make them the right decisions. She was a bad bad lady where the working classes were concerned

I have voted since i was 18 - i feel it gives me at least the right to complain about the goverment of the day and their policies.

Lets hope the Scotrail managers see sense and reinstate the poor worker. Everybody is blaming the union for the upcoming strikes - me i blame the managers - they can end the dispute as easily as the unions; yet again the workers get the blame......."

By *lash and BunsCouple
over a year ago

Inverclyde

I think we have to realise there are good stewards and then there are idiots.

By *nTCouple
over a year ago

funland

"I think we have to realise there are good stewards and then there are idiots.

...........and good bosses and tossers xx

"

By *mudg3rMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Got to love a pendant ! "

Lol. A bit of irony here. I think you mean pedant.

If it was deliberate, the joke's on me.

over a year ago

all i hear is mrs thatcher bein slated for all the ills of our country....does everyone forget about her working damned hard to get concessions on our contributions to that other great institute the eeu...only for princess tony to hand it back in order to get the presidency...also how she acted so quickly against the argentines over the falklands... getting back to the miners strike...do you think king arthur suffered the same deprivation as the poor miners families...did he fuck!!!...unions are a corrupt organisation run by lazy shirking bastards for lazy shirking bastards....

over a year ago

Amen to that Jake!

over a year ago

furthermore as for unions not bein bullies....as a twenty year old i worked for a large plant hire operator driving a bulldozer...we won a contract to reinstate two large opencasts and a week into the job we were blackmailed by the union into joining otherwise we had to get off the job...when we refused to become members the union rep gave us th option of packing up or paying a membership fee without joining...corrupt or what???...anyhow our firm payed this for the duration of the job...

over a year ago

"Amen to that Jake!"

cheers mate...thought id face a lynch mob...lmfao

over a year ago

Not from me bud, i fecking hate the bullying trade unions. And i voted Thatcher in, well not on my own, i heard a few million joined me lol

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone here ever met Maggie Thatcher or Ian McGregor who shut Ravenscraig and the pits?

over a year ago

"Not from me bud, i fecking hate the bullying trade unions. And i voted Thatcher in, well not on my own, i heard a few million joined me lol"

aye...and im proud to say i was one of them...and see the poll tax....i reckon it was the fairest tax on a property ever devised...i mean why should one solitary old lady pay the same as a family of 5 or 6 who are all working...does she generate the same rubbish or sewage use as much water...come on its nae rocket science...

over a year ago

She was out when i popped round.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Joining or not jining a trade union is a matter of personal choice but it ought to be the case that anyone deciding NOT to join the relevant trade onion ought not to benefit from the fruits of free collective bargaining.

By *horstrollMan
over a year ago

Caprona

Arthur Scargill must have upset someone in the NUM. First over expenses then over the flat they pay rent(£34,000 Per Annum) for him to live at.

By *cotsman76Man
over a year ago

EDINBURGH

nice to see not everyone here is jumping on the general scottish trait of being anti tory.labour has and always will be the party of the self defeatist and oh so hard done by working class who believe the world owes them a living.rant over

over a year ago

"Joining or not jining a trade union is a matter of personal choice but it ought to be the case that anyone deciding NOT to join the relevant trade onion ought not to benefit from the fruits of free collective bargaining."

what fruits..._nny...all i see is the trade unions making our coal,steel and industry in general uncompetitive in the face of foreign imports....you can blame the politicians all you like but its down to pure economics...would you pay twice or three times as much for british coal as opposed to imported coal...i doubt it....each of you look around your houses and drives and who can honestly say they paid a little extra for something made here by our own workforce...i personaly have one german car and one korean car because after a succesion of unreliable rusty fords vauxhalls and the biggest joke of all british leylands i chose to support a worker who takes pride in his work rather than moan whinge and strike for better pay and less hours and more holidays...it dont add up my friend no matter how you look at it greed is turning us into a third world economy...

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Joining or not jining a trade union is a matter of personal choice but it ought to be the case that anyone deciding NOT to join the relevant trade onion ought not to benefit from the fruits of free collective bargaining.

what fruits..._nny...all i see is the trade unions making our coal,steel and industry in general uncompetitive in the face of foreign imports....you can blame the politicians all you like but its down to pure economics...would you pay twice or three times as much for british coal as opposed to imported coal...i doubt it....each of you look around your houses and drives and who can honestly say they paid a little extra for something made here by our own workforce...i personaly have one german car and one korean car because after a succesion of unreliable rusty fords vauxhalls and the biggest joke of all british leylands i chose to support a worker who takes pride in his work rather than moan whinge and strike for better pay and less hours and more holidays...it dont add up my friend no matter how you look at it greed is turning us into a third world economy..."

We're being turned into a third world economy by a Con Dem government which is trying to drive wages down to India/ China levels "so we can compete".

over a year ago

it doesnt matter what party is in we have to compete on the world stage...i personally wouldnt buy a chinese manufactured product because of its human rights record but you cant argue against the economics ...and its not just the present government...our own esteemed first minister is toadying to the chinese...or do you only see what you want to see...

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"............our own esteemed first minister is toadying to the chinese...or do you only see what you want to see..."

I have no time for Fat Eck or his motley crew.

over a year ago

"............our own esteemed first minister is toadying to the chinese...or do you only see what you want to see...

I have no time for Fat Eck or his motley crew."

nor me...all i can see is economic disaster and a lot of tears for us scots if we follow the pied piper...

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"............our own esteemed first minister is toadying to the chinese...or do you only see what you want to see...

I have no time for Fat Eck or his motley crew.

nor me...all i can see is economic disaster and a lot of tears for us scots if we follow the pied piper..."

Recent events regarding the need for a post-separation vote Scotland to apply to join the EU and being forced to join the Euro suggest Eck may be rethinking the whole referendum idea.

over a year ago

not that i agree with eu membership for our nation... if it prevents this farce taking place... then it will have done some good for our country...

over a year ago

over a year ago

"Ahhh the miners strike.

Thatchers finest moment, just ask any miner. Hang about, there aren't any now."

and where is the 4 million that was hidden when 2 of the miners union took their own union to court for an illegal strike? oh that's right still missing despite the court actions, and Scargill never missed a meal. Ask the wives and children about union strike action if you can hear what they have to say over their empty bellies rumbling.

scourge of the working man were unions and still are.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Never saw so much rubbish as is being spouted here, our industry was not competetive because as I said above there was no investment the owners taking large profits and refusing to do what the European bosses did and put them back into the industry I made more money working abroad than in this country because the wages were higher and that was despite the companies also paying for the accomodation and we also had much better working conditions.

If you want to find bullies look at some management i have saw them do it on a daily basis but have yet to see a shop steward etc bully anyone.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Anyone here know about maggie and her bunch selling miles of prime seafront land (when it was still workable shipyards) to the Tory loved Trafalgar house for 12 million and then giving 18 million grants straight away oh and to sweeten the deal they also paid the workers wages for a year out of our taxes and this was hurried through while other companies stating interest were ignored and that was companies that were interested in doing what they did well at the time building rigs etc and hey ho Trafalgar could not close the yards quick enough so they could sell the land which was the big plan from the start and surprise surprise weasely Mark Thatcher just happened to be something of a biggie wih Trafalgar at the but I dont think there was any corruption there.

over a year ago

Unions there are pros and cons depends in the union and the stewards I'm fortunate enough to have a great union in my job my pal however who's a lecturer at a certain college has a shit union now she's teaching politics and learning more about how things work she's standing up to her union at meetings they've literally screwed over the workforce and taken it up the ass by management after making the staff go on strike for several weeks over the last two years and sacrificing the students right to the education the paid up for and expected and does anyone offer compensation to them when it's not just their daily travel plans but their future that was affected

And don't get me started in the NHS unions !!!!!

Post new Message to Thread