Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

shops ripping folk off

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

well its time i got on my high horse again lol.

when i got home from spending time with my son yest i was asked by a neighbour if i could take her to the diy store in hamilton which is about 12 miles from where we stay as she had seen nest of tables she liked but they quoted her £50 to deliver them my first thought was you have miss understood the girl as its never £50.i told her no problem give me a shout when your ready and i will take you to get them.

low and behold we went this afternoon and got the tables and to prove my point that she had picked the girl up wrong i asked how much the delivery would be.and you guessed it £50 as stated.i looked the girl straight in the eye and said you must be joking thats a rip off.my elderly neighbour could have got a taxi home that would have only cost her no more than £25 and still had change left.and there was me thinking that the banks were the only one's ripping people off. im still in shock yet.think i will takemy verse from work and buy a big van.

Mr Me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/10/09 07:24:34]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

was quoted £125 quid for BT to install 1 extention socket in my house on Friday........ oops that was for the first hour.. it was £90 for every 30 mins...

I laughed and said no...

more than 1 hour to fit an extention socket..... ffs, I didna want them to build an extention to my hoose, just lay some cable upstairs...

By *imfromGlasgowMan
over a year ago

er...guess

I suspect in both examples above the businesses simply couldn't be arsed doing the work and quoted an outrageous price in an attempt to put people off.

I'm a bit surprised people still install extension 'phone sockets. Doesn't anyone who needs a phone somewhere else in the home just buy an additional DECT handset?

Thought. I suppose that wouldn't work if you're installing a fax machine.

By *lackbird186Man
over a year ago

west glasgow

rip off britain has been a bug bear for years.

if you look on line for goods you will often find that the cost of them in the USA is the same in $ as it is in £. so if it costs $300 (£183 todays exchange rate ) the shops here sell it for £300. when will folk start objecting to this.

for one item ( Pro digital camrea) it would be cheaper to fly to new york buy the goods have a holiday and it would still be cheaper than buying it here in the UK.

as for delivery thats a joke and alot of the time they dont want to deliver so the cost is outragious

Post new Message to Thread