FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

The sound track of the troubles in northern ireland.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Not sure you have heard it but one of my favourite tracks which is very famous is called the cranberries zombies https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts they are a northern irish band and they dedicted the song to the troubles there wishing for peace back in the 1990s, how is the situation there now?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Give me "Belfast Child" by Simple Minds any day.

So haunting but such a great song.

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

"Not sure you have heard it but one of my favourite tracks which is very famous is called the cranberries zombies https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts they are a northern irish band and they dedicted the song to the troubles there wishing for peace back in the 1990s, how is the situation there now?"

The use of force is in the past, but the wars not over. Now its a culture war and attempts to rewrite the past to justify actions. It is very unlikely that we will ever know the full truth.

Politics is polarised and stalemated. The DUP & SF are two sides of the coin by now and practically need each other by now. The most dangerous position to occupy politically is the middle ground.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Not sure you have heard it but one of my favourite tracks which is very famous is called the cranberries zombies https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts they are a northern irish band and they dedicted the song to the troubles there wishing for peace back in the 1990s, how is the situation there now?

The use of force is in the past, but the wars not over. Now its a culture war and attempts to rewrite the past to justify actions. It is very unlikely that we will ever know the full truth.

Politics is polarised and stalemated. The DUP & SF are two sides of the coin by now and practically need each other by now. The most dangerous position to occupy politically is the middle ground. "

Well put but I think the answer they really wanted to hear was... IT'S BREXIT and it's GOING TO START A NUCLEAR WAR

over a year ago

"Not sure you have heard it but one of my favourite tracks which is very famous is called the cranberries zombies https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts they are a northern irish band and they dedicted the song to the troubles there wishing for peace back in the 1990s, how is the situation there now?

Politics is polarised and stalemated. The DUP & SF are two sides of the coin by now and practically need each other by now. The most dangerous position to occupy politically is the middle ground. "

That is right and I guess that the peace process dont help with brexit and the border situation.

By *ildjianMan
over a year ago

London

Rest in peace Dolores O'Riordan.

By *uesdaysCouple
over a year ago

WishfulThinking

"Rest in peace Dolores O'Riordan. "

Tragic that, so very sad.

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

Politics is polarised and stalemated. The DUP & SF are two sides of the coin by now and practically need each other by now. The most dangerous position to occupy politically is the middle ground. That is right and I guess that the peace process dont help with brexit and the border situation."

The very fact that the impact on the border and GFA wasn't fully considered is ridiculous when deciding to hold the referendum. Even more so when the history of the Island is considered.

Since then the UKs thinking has been delusional, threatening and downright laughable.

Ironically the act of 'taking back control' has added more weight to reunification.

By *vesham cplCouple
over a year ago

Evesham

Stiff little fingers provided the best lyrical commentary of the division and patheticness of the troubles.

Nobody of our generation wishes a return to anything like the shit we lived through.

Roll on a society where people actually have respect for each other.

over a year ago

Soldier by Harvey Andrews. Of course only one "side" will like it. From the 70's

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"The very fact that the impact on the border and GFA wasn't fully considered is ridiculous when deciding to hold the referendum. Even more so when the history of the Island is considered.

Since then the UKs thinking has been delusional, threatening and downright laughable.

Ironically the act of 'taking back control' has added more weight to reunification. "

Well the most worrying thing is that the DUP are the "Union party", and its pretty clear no one in parliment wants anything to do with them. They dont seem to know that thinking in England has shifted greatly.

England no longer worries about keeping the Union together, if Scotland leaves they leave, if NI leaves they leave. They are more interested in keeping the Union strong.

DUP is not interested in that, they are interested in personal gain, and keeping the union together, even at the expense of the strength of the UK.

No nationalist voice, no unionist voice.

Would Belfast be better off being a big fish in the smaller Irish pond? If I was the son of a unionist I would be asking that question now, and it would be because unionisim in the north hasnt evolved to keep relevant.

over a year ago

"Not sure you have heard it but one of my favourite tracks which is very famous is called the cranberries zombies https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts they are a northern irish band and they dedicted the song to the troubles there wishing for peace back in the 1990s, how is the situation there now?"

The Cranberries are from Limerick, which is in the south.

over a year ago

Politics is polarised and stalemated. The DUP & SF are two sides of the coin by now and practically need each other by now. The most dangerous position to occupy politically is the middle ground. That is right and I guess that the peace process dont help with brexit and the border situation.

The very fact that the impact on the border and GFA wasn't fully considered is ridiculous when deciding to hold the referendum. Even more so when the history of the Island is considered.

Ironically the act of 'taking back control' has added more weight to reunification. "

That is right it have been that how do you reckon the irish would feel to become one?

over a year ago

The Cranberries are from Limerick, which is in the south."

Yes I wasnt sure exactly where abouts.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Black Velvet Band

by Bakerloo Junction

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

Politics is polarised and stalemated. The DUP & SF are two sides of the coin by now and practically need each other by now. The most dangerous position to occupy politically is the middle ground. That is right and I guess that the peace process dont help with brexit and the border situation.

Ironically the act of 'taking back control' has added more weight to reunification. That is right it have been that how do you reckon the irish would feel to become one? "

OK, When you say Irish, I'm going to assume you mean the population of the republic of Ireland, aka Eire, the south, southern Ireland, the free state or Ireland. I think most would agree with the principle of reunification. Its a young country, It was only partitioned 100 years ago and declared a republic in 1949.

Nothing is ever black and white and there is a range of beliefs on how reunification would occur. Some will see it as a poisoned chalice. Northern Ireland is an economic basket case, the level of state support it needs to exist, a bloated public service, low levels of economic activity. Then there is the recent history of violence, the hatred that still exists and parties that threaten violence in the event of reunification.

Others will take a positive view, seeing the potential economic benefits and the long arc of history bending towards justice. Ironically enough, Unionism would go from being a minor insignificance in the UK to a major political force in Ireland.

Brexit has brought home to many people in N Ireland that the interests, rights concerns and valid fears the people of Northern Ireland have are completely irrelevant to the greater cause of English Nationalism.

Re: the cranberries and zombie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(song)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrington_bombings

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Soldier by Harvey Andrews. Of course only one "side" will like it. From the 70's"

banned by the BBC banned by DCI's and UKLFO's

over a year ago

Alternative Ulster would be my choice - loud, lairy and honest!

By *uesdaysCouple
over a year ago

WishfulThinking

"...Roll on a society where people actually have respect for each other... "

Optimistically waiting and hoping, but doubt it will be any time soon

over a year ago

"Soldier by Harvey Andrews. Of course only one "side" will like it. From the 70's

banned by the BBC banned by DCI's and UKLFO's"

Yet still I have a copy and it's freely available on YouTube.. and weren't plenty of songs banned by the BBC? Why though? Have you actually listened to it? A one sided account maybe but still evokes a sense of how terrible the destruction was, for the innocent familys, adults and children that were caught up in the bombings and violence

By *artyanna16TV/TS
over a year ago

seacroft

Suspect device . Johnny was , alternative ulster ! Watched that prog last night !

By *artyanna16TV/TS
over a year ago

seacroft

Rory gallacher christy moore, jthe pogues! Stiff little fingers said it all though

By *artyanna16TV/TS
over a year ago

seacroft

The trouble is though , there is never only one side!

By *eisurepleasureMan
over a year ago

belfast

The cranberries are from Limerick in the republic of ireland not North

By *abraham_LincolnWoman
over a year ago

City Centre

"The cranberries are from Limerick in the republic of ireland not North "

Indeed. Wouldn't have taken him 2 minutes to check, just laziness