Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Is censorship a threat to democracy?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It was a strange day in sweden yesterday, on other news what happened yesterday was about what happened to the american rapper that visited sweden and they stopped the evening news to be shown and the popular alternative media channel got blocked by the state called swebbtv, it is more popular than normal tv. I was looking forward to look at their new video, they are talking about democracy and other sensitive subjects, is censorship a threat to democracy?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Swebbtv will be back, they said they will find an alternative platform, which is good

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

The revolution will not be televised

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Yes and no,we are far to liberal in this country but where do you draw the line?It is a deep question.

I see loads of stuff I think should be censored,in papers,on the telly on the internet for certain.

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Only where it's likely to interfere with the openness and accountability of an election.

Some things need to be censored but not political views. Even extremists should be heard; so that you can use your common sense and deny them your vote.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Is this about the black rapper that that racist trump ask the pm to let him out.

over a year ago

"Is this about the black rapper that that racist trump ask the pm to let him out. "
Yes it is, he was attacked by afghans, he didnt start it, but he got sentenced whilst the others didnt get anything, there is a rumour they were planted there to start it, there is a video of it and it was lucky they recorded it.

over a year ago

"The revolution will not be televised

"

That is right, it wont be on tv

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Question:

Who de-platformed swebbtv? If it was a state it is censorship and a very dangerous thing, if it was a private organisation any attempt to force that organisation give a platform to another organisation a platform is equally dangerous.

Only states can censor or force others to publicise things they do not wish to publicise. Both are dangerous to democracy.

over a year ago

"Question:

Who de-platformed swebbtv? If it was a state it is censorship and a very dangerous thing, if it was a private organisation any attempt to force that organisation give a platform to another organisation a platform is equally dangerous.

Only states can censor or force others to publicise things they do not wish to publicise. Both are dangerous to democracy."

They are on utube and the swedish state are working with utube with a direct number, so anything the state dont like they can take it down without a warning, swebbtv didnt get any warnings, before a channel is taken down you get 3 chances, but not this time, sweden is becoming more and more like north korea, like you cant have a different view politically.

over a year ago

"Question:

Only states can censor or force others to publicise things they do not wish to publicise. Both are dangerous to democracy.They are on utube and the swedish state are working with utube with a direct number, so anything the state dont like they can take it down without a warning, swebbtv didnt get any warnings, before a channel is taken down you get 3 chances, but not this time, sweden is becoming more and more like north korea, like you cant have a different view politically."

On swebbtvs site they have an

announcement of it.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

We don't know what we don't know. I'm comfortable with hate speech and anything provoking people to harm others having restrictions, as long as these are in the open and action that bans stuff is recorded and subject to debate.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"We don't know what we don't know. I'm comfortable with hate speech and anything provoking people to harm others having restrictions, as long as these are in the open and action that bans stuff is recorded and subject to debate. "

To be honest I don't think any speech should be censored. However I do think that incitement and hate laws should be so strong that if a person does use hate speech they are going to spend a long time in prison for there utterances unless the speech can be justified in a court of law.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"We don't know what we don't know. I'm comfortable with hate speech and anything provoking people to harm others having restrictions, as long as these are in the open and action that bans stuff is recorded and subject to debate.

To be honest I don't think any speech should be censored. However I do think that incitement and hate laws should be so strong that if a person does use hate speech they are going to spend a long time in prison for there utterances unless the speech can be justified in a court of law."

I find your speech hateful therefore I want you locked away forever,I say this because you've deliberately misleading for your own agenda, incitement laws already exist and carry heavy sentences but you threw in "hate speech" with it as a way of blurring the lines.

Hate speech doesn't exist, it's a figment of a left wing agenda and one they have used for centuries time and time again to kill or lock up they're own citizens who happen to disagree with their leftist nonsense.

Vote in hate speech at your own risk people but trust me when I say eventually these people will come for you

By *retty GoodMan
over a year ago

Cardiff Bay

"Is this about the black rapper that that racist trump ask the pm to let him out. "

Shhhhhh the far left lot are trying to ignore that bit

Arrgghh trump that bloody racist

By *ky19Man
over a year ago

Plymouth

"To be honest I don't think any speech should be censored. However I do think that incitement and hate laws should be so strong that if a person does use hate speech they are going to spend a long time in prison for there utterances unless the speech can be justified in a court of law..

I find your speech hateful therefore I want you locked away forever,I say this because you've deliberately misleading for your own agenda, incitement laws already exist and carry heavy sentences but you threw in "hate speech" with it as a way of blurring the lines.

Hate speech doesn't exist, it's a figment of a left wing agenda and one they have used for centuries time and time again to kill or lock up they're own citizens who happen to disagree with their leftist nonsense.

Vote in hate speech at your own risk people but trust me when I say eventually these people will come for you"

This, pretty much.

Well I believe in democracy, so if a totalitarian society is what the majority want, then fine.

As long as we call it what it is. Hate speech and all this terminology in recent times is really what crazy George Orwell called "Goodthink" and "Newspeak".

Also, book burning is gradually on the increase, even if it's not necessarily physical books this time.

And if you ain't on board with the world vision (because you have a conscience and don't regard it as your enemy), frankly your presence isn't required in this world (into the oven you go).

By *ky19Man
over a year ago

Plymouth

Actually I don't agree totally. I think we need plenty of left (which I see as freedom), but also a good dose of right (which I see as having some standards, I mean imagine if all traffic signs and rules of the road were abolished)

I'm anything but anti-left!

I am however not at all a fan of this progressive stuff killing society. It seems if you keep going left you start heading to being stifled and ultra-restricted again and ultimately into facsism, just dressed up differently.

So I wonder if "fascism" instead of being extremely far right, could really be a result of extreme-any-direction.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/08/19 10:47:18]

over a year ago

Which one would you choose, censorship or freedom? I know which one I would choose, freedom

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty"

- Plato

over a year ago

"It was a strange day in sweden yesterday, on other news what happened yesterday was about what happened to the american rapper that visited sweden and they stopped the evening news to be shown and the popular alternative media channel got blocked by the state called swebbtv, it is more popular than normal tv. I was looking forward to look at their new video, they are talking about democracy and other sensitive subjects, is censorship a threat to democracy?"

No, but democracy is a threat to censorship.

over a year ago

"It was a strange day in sweden yesterday, on other news what happened yesterday was about what happened to the american rapper that visited sweden and they stopped the evening news to be shown and the popular alternative media channel got blocked by the state called swebbtv, it is more popular than normal tv. I was looking forward to look at their new video, they are talking about democracy and other sensitive subjects, is censorship a threat to democracy?

No, but democracy is a threat to censorship."

How come? Fact cant be censored unless they want to hide the truth.

over a year ago

"Which one would you choose, censorship or freedom? I know which one I would choose, freedom "

Neither censorship nor freedom lead to democracy. Democracy is about following and agreeing with the views of the many. If democracy is not about voting in favour of a narrow choice of 1, then how come North Korea is called The Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea? Democracy is the freedom to choose between a choice of candidates on a voting paper? Even if there is only 1 candidate?

over a year ago

Good news, swebbtv is back on utube after they appealed their decision to them, they make really good videos about democracy

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Do they talk in Swedish?

over a year ago

"Do they talk in Swedish?"
Yes they do, but I think you can use the subtitles button, let us know if there are subtitles if you watch it.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

No, I like the Swedish accent.

Does the same thing to me as the Spanish accent.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Finnish, too.

Makes my knees wobble.

Hurdy-gurdy

over a year ago

"No, I like the Swedish accent.

Does the same thing to me as the Spanish accent.

"

That is good you like it and the same for me. I also like the spanish accent, especially the colombian accent, it is very slow and clear

over a year ago

"Finnish, too.

Makes my knees wobble.

Hurdy-gurdy

"

Yes, finnish too is good

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

This thread inspired me to invite my friend round last night - a 6ft hunk in his late 20s from NE Spain who is working in Bristol. We did not get a lot of talking done, however.

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

Youtube is owned by Google, google was started with Darpa money, and brought CIA/NSA along to a meeting with wikileaks. The top people in google have family working in the pentagon and the NSA.

Youtube can not be considered a private organisation, and are an arm of the american government.

For years they have been promoting bloggers to push america agenda while silencing those who go against it. They were even caught giving cash to such bloggers and the cash was tracked back to Darpa funding, with members of the CIA/NSA at those meetings too.

Youtube was used heavily to promote the arab spring uprisings. It was flooded with fake videos and promoted real ones promoting the idea that the arabic people were revolting against certain dictators. This resulted in upheaval in several countries and countries like Iran cracking down on access to such sites.

It is accepted now that it was a cia/nsa operation.

over a year ago

In sweden alternative media is very popular

Post new Message to Thread