Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

No Deal Brexit

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am sure Westminster Parliament voted to ensure that there would not be a NO Deal Brexit.

So why is it now being reported after this vote, that it is becoming more likely as each day passes, that there is a good chance of a NO deal Brexit.

can someone explain this?

thank you in advance

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"I am sure Westminster Parliament voted to ensure that there would not be a NO Deal Brexit.

So why is it now being reported after this vote, that it is becoming more likely as each day passes, that there is a good chance of a NO deal Brexit.

thank you in advance

"

The vote the other evening was not binding so, unless a binding motion is passed, the law says we leave at 23:00 on 29 March 19 whether we have a deal or not. There were votes the other evening that, if passed, would have been binding and could have stopped a 'no deal' but they weren't passed.

However it's not definite either way as we'll be going through the whole thing again on 14 February.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Hope we just leave without a deal. After we leave then we negotiate.

over a year ago

"I am sure Westminster Parliament voted to ensure that there would not be a NO Deal Brexit.

thank you in advance

The vote the other evening was not binding so, unless a binding motion is passed, the law says we leave at 23:00 on 29 March 19 whether we have a deal or not. There were votes the other evening that, if passed, would have been binding and could have stopped a 'no deal' but they weren't passed.

However it's not definite either way as we'll be going through the whole thing again on 14 February.

"

thanks for that, it helps explain. but what was the point of that vote? if it is not binding and basically means nothing?

I am asking, as I simply do not know myself

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

thank you in advance

"

Apparently the referendum was non binding too

It is my opinion that no deal is simply a non workable imposibility

The UK would need to DEAL certain aspects of its EU relations, flights medical and nuclear will all need a DEAL of some description

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

thank you in advance

"

The legislation states the UK will leave the EU on March 29.

The Act is not dependent on a withdrawal agreement being in place.

To avoid a hard exit, Parliament would need to amend the legislation.

The amendment passed the other night does not do that.

It was simply an expression of opinion.

over a year ago

thank you in advance

The legislation states the UK will leave the EU on March 29.

The Act is not dependent on a withdrawal agreement being in place.

To avoid a hard exit, Parliament would need to amend the legislation.

The amendment passed the other night does not do that.

It was simply an expression of opinion.

"

thank you _ara j

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

"Hope we just leave without a deal. After we leave then we negotiate. "

Is that whilst British industry is heading abroad at a rate of knots to avoid a situation created by the likes of Rees Mogg and BoZo Johnson?

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

Yeah. That’ll show them.

You been asleep the last two years? Or have you not noticed that we seem to be unable to negotiate our way out of a paper bag right now.

-Matt

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

And the country in the meantime experiences what? You've seen the failure of just the conservative party to decide what it wants, taking almost 3 years - no extrapolate that to much more complex arrangements that would need to be negotiated... whilst the conservatives still haven't decided amongst themselves

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

thank you in advance

Apparently the referendum was non binding too

It is my opinion that no deal is simply a non workable imposibility

The UK would need to DEAL certain aspects of its EU relations, flights medical and nuclear will all need a DEAL of some description "

All that has been done deal or no deal

over a year ago

"Hope we just leave without a deal. After we leave then we negotiate.

Is that whilst British industry is heading abroad at a rate of knots to avoid a situation created by the likes of Rees Mogg and BoZo Johnson?"

What industry is leaving that wouldn’t have been lured away with EU manipulation anyway?

If we are to have any chance of having a manufacturing industry here then we need to look after ourselves and look out to the rest of the world.

By *teveuk77Man
over a year ago

uk

Negotiate what? Better deals that we already have? Not a chance. Deals as good as what we already have? Extremely unlikely.

When will Brexiters understand this? Bunch of crack pots.

over a year ago

One big thing to remember, a no deal is not good for us all all. But if we leave with a no deal then the Germans lose out more than we do.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Is that whilst British industry is heading abroad at a rate of knots to avoid a situation created by the likes of Rees Mogg and BoZo Johnson?

What industry is leaving that wouldn’t have been lured away with EU manipulation anyway?

If we are to have any chance of having a manufacturing industry here then we need to look after ourselves and look out to the rest of the world.

"

And yet, after 40 years of being in the EU we are currently the 6th largest manufacturing nation in the world. And the largest market for out manufactured goods is the EU. Maybe you can explain to me and everyone else how, making it harder to sell our manufactured goods to our largest market and over 60 other smaller markets, is going to help look after our manufacturing base?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"One big thing to remember, a no deal is not good for us all all. But if we leave with a no deal then the Germans lose out more than we do. "

I really don't follow your logic there. How does use losing a large amount of our business with 27 EU countries and 60 other non EU countries while Germany possibly losing a large amount of business with 1 work out that Germany is losing more than us?

over a year ago

"One big thing to remember, a no deal is not good for us all all. But if we leave with a no deal then the Germans lose out more than we do.

I really don't follow your logic there. How does use losing a large amount of our business with 27 EU countries and 60 other non EU countries while Germany possibly losing a large amount of business with 1 work out that Germany is losing more than us?"

I second this questioning of your illogical statement.

over a year ago

"One big thing to remember, a no deal is not good for us all all. But if we leave with a no deal then the Germans lose out more than we do.

I really don't follow your logic there. How does use losing a large amount of our business with 27 EU countries and 60 other non EU countries while Germany possibly losing a large amount of business with 1 work out that Germany is losing more than us?"

Just add it to the pile of unsubstantiated Brexit bullshit we've been subjected to for the last fuck knows how long

over a year ago

The ammendments that were voted on last week have not been passed into law whereas the EU withdrawal act, which sees us leave on 29th March whether we have a deal or not IS law and so unless parliament were to vote in favour of a deal put before it by the Prime Minister, we will be leaving on WTO terms.

The EU have made it very clear that there will be no renegotiation and the deal as it stands has been rejected by parliament so you could say that we are in a stalemate situation - which unless resolved soon means that, yes, no deal is highly likely

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"One big thing to remember, a no deal is not good for us all all. But if we leave with a no deal then the Germans lose out more than we do. "

German exports are worth some £1.4 trillion.

Of that, about £75bn goes to the UK.

The new free trade agreement between the EU and Japan opens up a big new market.

The UK is walking away from that, Germany is not.

I do not understand what makes you think the UK leaving the single market will be more damaging for the Germans than the British.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"

Germany is in the EU and sells far more to the rest of the world through over 60 EU international trade deals. It has a trade surplus with China with the help of EU agreements.

How will is leaving the EU help our manufacturing? How will it help our raw material and component prices?

The UK looks after finance and services. How will Brexit change that?

The EU have lured nobody away. Blaming someone else again.

What's your actual plan?

over a year ago

Germany is in the EU and sells far more to the rest of the world through over 60 EU international trade deals. It has a trade surplus with China with the help of EU agreements.

How will is leaving the EU help our manufacturing? How will it help our raw material and component prices?

The UK looks after finance and services. How will Brexit change that?

The EU have lured nobody away. Blaming someone else again.

What's your actual plan?"

The trade Secretary today on Sky addressed TWO

"If WTO was that good, nations wouldn't do trade deals"

Rest my case!

(Liam Fox - brexiteer )

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Negotiate what? Better deals that we already have? Not a chance. Deals as good as what we already have? Extremely unlikely.

When will Brexiters understand this? Bunch of crack pots. "

You have very low self esteem you need a more positive attitude

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

When will Brexiters understand this? Bunch of crack pots. You have very low self esteem you need a more positive attitude"

What? A positive attitude doesn't make our economy as big as the EU when it comes to a trade negotiation does it?

Just stay why any country would negotiate a trade deal with us on the same terms as with the entire EU? Some logical progression that brings you to that conclusion.

By *anon6dMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

When will Brexiters understand this? Bunch of crack pots. "

I'm afraid your hitting your head against a brick wall. They don't look at the big picture it's a case of me myself and I.

By *anon6dMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

ha I'm not sure how you work that out. No one can but you.

By *rallvalCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

I am due to travel just after the Brexit date.

If we leave with no deal then I need medical insurance because EHIC stops. If we leave with a deal then it continues to 2020.

I also have to renew my passport as I may need up to 6 months on my passport with a no deal.

It's going to be interesting.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Just for clarity:

The WTO terms of trade are by definition the worst that exist in the world.

I tell a lie. They are worse if you under sanctions.

#Brexitwim #Negotiatefromstrength

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Just for clarity:

As it stands were still leaving the EU on March 29th and I'm very much looking forward to it.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I just booked a flight on March 29.

Domestic, not international.

Inverness to Bristol.

Guess how much?

£12.

That tells me the planes are not exactly filling up that day.

over a year ago

As if a hard border would stop contraband coming across anyway. My thoughts? The elite business leaders will manipulate rules and media go suit themselves either way and blame leaving the EU. EU impose tariffs, tax breaks and incentives will be given to keep companies here "to keep employment". EU give us what we want, tax breaks will be given as they will say it's still cheaper to move business to EU as cheaper labour.

Media frenzy is crazy about Economy going to suffer due to Brexit. So how's the rest of the world doing at the minute... Its a global downturn on the horizon not just EU

Rant over

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"Just for clarity:

As it stands were still leaving the EU on March 29th and I'm very much looking forward to it. "

I have little doubt you are correct, if for no other reason than the implementation on April 1 of the EU crackdown on tax avoidance.

over a year ago

"Just for clarity:

As it stands were still leaving the EU on March 29th and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I have little doubt you are correct, if for no other reason than the implementation on April 1 of the EU crackdown on tax avoidance."

Sara - i hope you are not implying that centy is in favour of tax avoidance or other such cowboy behaviour? As I understand it he is a fine upstanding spokesman for his community and should be treated with the due deference that his all encompassing wisdom deserves! Love your posts by the way!

over a year ago

"Just for clarity:

I have little doubt you are correct, if for no other reason than the implementation on April 1 of the EU crackdown on tax avoidance.

Sara - i hope you are not implying that centy is in favour of tax avoidance or other such cowboy behaviour? As I understand it he is a fine upstanding spokesman for his community and should be treated with the due deference that his all encompassing wisdom deserves! Love your posts by the way! "

Is this an intentional and cheeky miss reading ?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

Sara - i hope you are not implying that centy is in favour of tax avoidance or other such cowboy behaviour "

He consistently shows such concern for the wellbeing of others less fortunate than himself that I am sure he is an enthusiastic contributor to the services those people rely on.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

Sara - i hope you are not implying that centy is in favour of tax avoidance or other such cowboy behaviour

He consistently shows such concern for the wellbeing of others less fortunate than himself that I am sure he is an enthusiastic contributor to the services those people rely on.

"

So the latest jibe is Brexiteers are tax dodgers

For the record I pay income tax on what I earn I can't afford to pay fancy lawers to dodge tax and get around tax laws like big businesses who want to stay in the EU.

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

"

Sara - i hope you are not implying that centy is in favour of tax avoidance or other such cowboy behaviour

For the record I pay income tax on what I earn I can't afford to pay fancy lawers to dodge tax and get around tax laws like big businesses who want to stay in the EU. "

Lol. You do realise that one of the main reasons it appears that ‘the elite’ are voting for Brexit is to get out before the EU anti tax avoidance laws come into effect.

-Matt

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

For the record I pay income tax on what I earn I can't afford to pay fancy lawers to dodge tax and get around tax laws like big businesses who want to stay in the EU.

Lol. You do realise that one of the main reasons it appears that ‘the elite’ are voting for Brexit is to get out before the EU anti tax avoidance laws come into effect.

-Matt"

It's mainly big business who avoid tax rather than individuals though. The majority of big business remainers keep telling us want to stay in the EU.

over a year ago

Me? As if I would suggest such a thing! I am convinced he is as I said a fine upstanding member of the community and I would always say so!

over a year ago

"

-Matt

It's mainly big business who avoid tax rather than individuals though. The majority of big business remainers keep telling us want to stay in the EU. "

So you’re actually saying that all the ultra rich uk business owners, ie Aaron Banks, and the ultra wealthy Rees-Mogg types, have motives for promoting Brexit entirely unrelated to the incoming tax avoidance rules the EU are bringing in.

Is it merely coincidence?

over a year ago

"

-Matt"

I'd say that would only possibly apply to rich individuals who's businesses are relatively unaffected by Brexit.

over a year ago

So the french have managed to get Apple to cough up eight years worth of taxes this week. So, now tell me something, in the brave new world of brexitannia do you think that we will achieve this kind of success with our big tax dodgers? I wonder? Perhaps all that dodgy russian money the city of London is so good at laundering could be clouding the judgement of the big investment funds and they might not like the eu looking too closely at them. I mean I am sure that JRM is not involved in anything so unsavoury as that because as we know he is a fine upstanding family business man. Makes you think though doesnt it?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"

-Matt"

I do realise this however I'm not totally convinced. I think it's more of a secondary issue. As in "I want to Leave and if we Leave we may as well go before I get caught by the new tax rules". After all in order to pay tax they have to make money first.

Post new Message to Thread