Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Another Brexiteer jumps ship

Jump to newest

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

So James Dyson, strong supporter of Brexit, has decided to move Dyson HQ and tax domicile to Singapore. Clearly a very good engineer, but questionable morals and ethics. If he believed in Brexit then he should be supporting this country and not lining his own pockets like other notorious Brexiteers - JRM, Farage, BJ.

How can anyone take these charlatans seriously!?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/01/19 17:03:57]

over a year ago

"So James Dyson, strong supporter of Brexit, has decided to move Dyson HQ and tax domicile to Singapore. Clearly a very good engineer, but questionable morals and ethics. If he believed in Brexit then he should be supporting this country and not lining his own pockets like other notorious Brexiteers - JRM, Farage, BJ.

How can anyone take these charlatans seriously!?"

Yep - isn't he "Sir"?

#iambackingbritain

Wasn't he one of centaur's heroes?

By *xhot_chocolatexMan
over a year ago

brighton/eastbourne/basingstoke

Begs believe doesn’t it

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

No such thing as society, eh? Only the relentless pursuit of personal wealth. Now officially a "a citizen of nowhere". Good bye.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Ineos and Grangemouth owner Jim Ratcliffe is off to Monaco, after deciding that Antwerp is the place to invest £3bn in new production capacity.

Will the last rabid brexiter to quit brexit Britain please turn off the lights.

over a year ago

"So James Dyson, strong supporter of Brexit, has decided to move Dyson HQ and tax domicile to Singapore. Clearly a very good engineer, but questionable morals and ethics. If he believed in Brexit then he should be supporting this country and not lining his own pockets like other notorious Brexiteers - JRM, Farage, BJ.

Yep - isn't he "Sir"?

#iambackingbritain

Wasn't he one of centaur's heroes?"

He will find a way to twist this into some kind of semantic triumph by quoting some anti EU “economist” who says some nonsense about uk doing better without hoovers.

over a year ago

In defence of Dyson. He weighed up the pros of Brexit (removal of workers rights, less “red tape” of environmental protection etc), against the cons (ruined economy). He obviously thought he’d be able to grab a larger slice of a smaller pie and reducing his costs while maxing out his worker drones.

But I am guessing that the government doesn’t look like it’s delivering his vision for Brexit. So he’s jumped ship.

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

Apparently it isn’t for tax purposes, Singapore charges 17% and the UK 19% (does save him £20m straight away though!) It is apparently to enable Dyson to be a Global Tech Company! Ouch, that hurts even more given Brexit was ‘supposed’ to make us more International & easier to do business with...

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"He will find a way to twist this into some kind of semantic triumph by quoting some anti EU “economist” who says some nonsense about uk doing better without hoovers."

"A great opportunity for the British dustpan and brush industry"

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

There's two executives moving over there, in order to oversee a greater presence in that region.

No other jobs to go in the UK.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

He will probably justify it like many on here that it's not the brexit he wanted, tailor made to suit just him..

And that he won't get his own special individual me me just for me brexit then that's the fault of so many others also thinking that there own perception of what brexit meant is the reason he's fucked off..

Or he will like some other leavers on here trot out the same old tired clichés..

over a year ago

Oh you mean business men operating their business to stay profitable.

The devil incarnate

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

"There's two executives moving over there, in order to oversee a greater presence in that region.

No other jobs to go in the UK."

Incorrect, to run an HQ you need staff, so many senior jobs (the ones who decide policy & investment) will move to Singapore. To even the numbers up, a few more ‘hoover’ technicians might be employed, but the days of decisions being made in the UK have gone...

over a year ago

"In defence of Dyson. He weighed up the pros of Brexit (removal of workers rights, less “red tape” of environmental protection etc), against the cons (ruined economy). He obviously thought he’d be able to grab a larger slice of a smaller pie and reducing his costs while maxing out his worker drones.

But I am guessing that the government doesn’t look like it’s delivering his vision for Brexit. So he’s jumped ship. "

If you read his book you'd see that he operates a gourmet canteen and treats staff very well. Jobs there are highly sought after.

But don't let the truth stand in the way of the low resolution theory of rich people stealing everyone else's lunch money.

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

The devil incarnate "

Only the 2 faced ones

over a year ago

The devil incarnate

Only the 2 faced ones "

It's wise to reassess any situation

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

The devil incarnate

Only the 2 faced ones

It's wise to reassess any situation "

Agree with you there, time to cancel Brexit

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"There's two executives moving over there, in order to oversee a greater presence in that region.

Incorrect, to run an HQ you need staff, so many senior jobs (the ones who decide policy & investment) will move to Singapore. To even the numbers up, a few more ‘hoover’ technicians might be employed, but the days of decisions being made in the UK have gone..."

Have you read the press release?

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

Incorrect, to run an HQ you need staff, so many senior jobs (the ones who decide policy & investment) will move to Singapore. To even the numbers up, a few more ‘hoover’ technicians might be employed, but the days of decisions being made in the UK have gone...

Have you read the press release?"

Yep, I also work for an International business and I know how it all works. The UK is now merely a subsidiary that does what Singapore drives. The centre of gravity for the business is moving east, so decisions will be made there and new jobs will be created there to lead the company.

over a year ago

The devil incarnate

Only the 2 faced ones

It's wise to reassess any situation

Agree with you there, time to cancel Brexit "

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"In defence of Dyson. He weighed up the pros of Brexit (removal of workers rights, less “red tape” of environmental protection etc), against the cons (ruined economy). He obviously thought he’d be able to grab a larger slice of a smaller pie and reducing his costs while maxing out his worker drones.

But I am guessing that the government doesn’t look like it’s delivering his vision for Brexit. So he’s jumped ship. "

Howmany times have you repeated this lie about workers rights and environmental controls being removed we have better workers rights in several areas now than the eu does, once again lets have some details of what is being removed

over a year ago

But I am guessing that the government doesn’t look like it’s delivering his vision for Brexit. So he’s jumped ship.

If you read his book you'd see that he operates a gourmet canteen and treats staff very well. Jobs there are highly sought after.

But don't let the truth stand in the way of the low resolution theory of rich people stealing everyone else's lunch money. "

I’ve been in there mate. That canteen ain’t “gourmet”.

over a year ago

Howmany times have you repeated this lie about workers rights and environmental controls being removed we have better workers rights in several areas now than the eu does, once again lets have some details of what is being removed"

What “details” do you need?

This is literally the whole point of Brexit! I mean where have you been hiding for the last three years.

over a year ago

But don't let the truth stand in the way of the low resolution theory of rich people stealing everyone else's lunch money.

I’ve been in there mate. That canteen ain’t “gourmet”."

Fair enough

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Apparently it isn’t for tax purposes, Singapore charges 17% and the UK 19% (does save him £20m straight away though!) It is apparently to enable Dyson to be a Global Tech Company! Ouch, that hurts even more given Brexit was ‘supposed’ to make us more International & easier to do business with... "
and it will have nothing to do with the the trade deal singapore have just signed with the EU giving him better access to EU would get from here ?cynical me

over a year ago

"Apparently it isn’t for tax purposes, Singapore charges 17% and the UK 19% (does save him £20m straight away though!) It is apparently to enable Dyson to be a Global Tech Company! Ouch, that hurts even more given Brexit was ‘supposed’ to make us more International & easier to do business with... and it will have nothing to do with the the trade deal singapore have just signed with the EU giving him better access to EU would get from here ?cynical me "

Knowing the size of the greater China market I buy the argument. However as production was in Singapore anyway any FTAs (and SGP China would be more attractive) seems to be largely irrelevant.

My guess is the quality of people. Singapore is taking steps to be at the forefront of tech. We just keep harking back to being a culture of innovative entrepreneurs with little infrastructure or evidence to support this ...

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

Howmany times have you repeated this lie about workers rights and environmental controls being removed we have better workers rights in several areas now than the eu does, once again lets have some details of what is being removed

This is literally the whole point of Brexit! I mean where have you been hiding for the last three years."

You know small details known as facts what rules and regs have been announced that the gov are going to axe, you have been asked before but never can point to one being removed

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Have you read the press release?"

the other interesting "titbit" is that the EV division (the one that was going to make the prototype electrics cars) which was originally slated to be made in the uk... thats also going to singapore

over a year ago

This is literally the whole point of Brexit! I mean where have you been hiding for the last three years.

You know small details known as facts what rules and regs have been announced that the gov are going to axe, you have been asked before but never can point to one being removed"

What are you talking about? This information is in the public domain. Even the far right news papers like The Express have documented this. It’s no exactly a secret.

There’s endless information out there, just google something like “what red tape do brexiteers want to cut”. There is a huge wealth of information out there. Why should it be my job to educate you?

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

You know small details known as facts what rules and regs have been announced that the gov are going to axe, you have been asked before but never can point to one being removed

What are you talking about? This information is in the public domain. Even the far right news papers like The Express have documented this. It’s no exactly a secret.

There’s endless information out there, just google something like “what red tape do brexiteers want to cut”. There is a huge wealth of information out there. Why should it be my job to educate you? "

Typical evasion tactics, the only people who can change the rules are the government not anyone else.

Here is what you posted I beleive

That admits the gov isnt proposing cutting any workers rights, you live in a dream world

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'd not mind that awful wetherspoons guy to leave the UK too - though the pub could then perhaps be owned by someone else.

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

"I'd not mind that awful wetherspoons guy to leave the UK too - though the pub could then perhaps be owned by someone else."

Excellent idea, we can only hope

over a year ago

There’s endless information out there, just google something like “what red tape do brexiteers want to cut”. There is a huge wealth of information out there. Why should it be my job to educate you?

Typical evasion tactics, the only people who can change the rules are the government not anyone else.

Here is what you posted I beleive

That admits the gov isnt proposing cutting any workers rights, you live in a dream world"

Aight. Feel free to keep your head buried in the sand screaming “project fear” at anyone that mentions what is going on in the world around us, while at the same time refusing to take in any information.

Good luck in the rest of your life.

over a year ago

"I'd not mind that awful wetherspoons guy to leave the UK too - though the pub could then perhaps be owned by someone else.

Excellent idea, we can only hope "

Yeah he’s an awful prick too.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

How much evidence do you need to understand the "low tax, low regulation" mantra of the Brextremists?

How about Priti Patel:

"If we could just halve the burdens of EU social and employment legislation, we could deliver a £4.3 billion boost to our economy and 60,000 jobs."

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

the other interesting "titbit" is that the EV division (the one that was going to make the prototype electrics cars) which was originally slated to be made in the uk... thats also going to singapore"

That was known about last October. The concepts will be made and tested in the UK, and prototype production models in Singapore.

over a year ago

Good business people make good business decisions, I don't see any conflict in how he voted.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"I'd not mind that awful wetherspoons guy to leave the UK too - though the pub could then perhaps be owned by someone else.

Yeah he’s an awful prick too. "

He seems a revolting specimen of our race. He was in one of the Bristol pubs recently, wooing mid-morning drinkers and arguing with others who dislike him, probably as much as I do. He's another person who's been given too much coverage on the BBC and media, especially as he's got a track record of 'inaccuracy'.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"How much evidence do you need to understand the "low tax, low regulation" mantra of the Brextremists?

How about Priti Patel:

"If we could just halve the burdens of EU social and employment legislation, we could deliver a £4.3 billion boost to our economy and 60,000 jobs."

"

When has a government EVER reduced red tape ?

Just put up one proposal from HMG to remove ANY workers rights

over a year ago

"How much evidence do you need to understand the "low tax, low regulation" mantra of the Brextremists?

How about Priti Patel:

Just put up one proposal from HMG to remove ANY workers rights"

Were a country that runs on red tape, we created an industry out of it after we closed all the other industries.

That's life

over a year ago

Yeah he’s an awful prick too.

He seems a revolting specimen of our race. He was in one of the Bristol pubs recently, wooing mid-morning drinkers and arguing with others who dislike him, probably as much as I do. He's another person who's been given too much coverage on the BBC and media, especially as he's got a track record of 'inaccuracy'. "

I saw a clip of him on Question Time and nearly everything he said was incorrect bullshit and the host didn't bother to pick him up on any of it while the dumb audience were barking & clapping like fucking seals.

over a year ago

"Good business people make good business decisions, I don't see any conflict in how he voted."

Probably because he’s white.

I assume he’s white if you’re on his side.

I don’t see your lack of understanding, on why he promoted Brexit then decided to fuck off when it looks like he’s not going to be able to exploit his workers as much as he planned to, is especially relevant.

over a year ago

How about Priti Patel:

You hold on in there buddy.

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Good business people make good business decisions, I don't see any conflict in how he voted."

Being an advocate of Brexit making Britain great again and then moving HQ and business to Singapore doesn’t smack of hypocrisy? Of course he can do it, but should he? Its like JRM having set up a business in Ireland and various Brexiteers taking up dual citizenship.

These guys talk about making Britain great, but it is just a sham to screw the rest of us

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

How about Priti Patel:

If you believe Mrs May's vision of Brexit is the one we will be living in, say, three years' time, well I admire your confidence.

We know the goal of the Brextremists in the Conservative Party and that is to undercut the competition by removing social and employment protections.

The Johnsons, the Patersons, the Foxes, the Patels.

It is fundamental to their vision of a Singapore in the North Sea.

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

I meant

over a year ago

How about Priti Patel:

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

so neither of you can put up a SINGLE proposed case of workers rights being reduced or removed.

over a year ago

How about Priti Patel:

But surely we will be reducing Eu red tape ... dont say will still have bendy banana regs ?

And let’s be honest, no government advertises plans to reduce rights. Especially not a precariously balanced one ...

over a year ago

Dyson eh? What a sucker

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"so neither of you can put up a SINGLE proposed case of workers rights being reduced or removed."

Seriously?

If you cannot see the writing on the wall, the EU certainly can.

That is why proposals such as the temporary deal on aviation is contingent on no reduction in employment rights in the UK.

They read the speeches, the papers, the tweets by the Brextremists. Perhaps you should, too.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Good business people make good business decisions, I don't see any conflict in how he voted.

I don’t see your lack of understanding, on why he promoted Brexit then decided to fuck off when it looks like he’s not going to be able to exploit his workers as much as he planned to, is especially relevant."

What the fuck has the colour of his skin got to do with it? You've lost the plot fella.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Apparently it isn’t for tax purposes, Singapore charges 17% and the UK 19% (does save him £20m straight away though!) It is apparently to enable Dyson to be a Global Tech Company! Ouch, that hurts even more given Brexit was ‘supposed’ to make us more International & easier to do business with... "

Brexit is supposed to make the UK more international but a small band of remoaning cunts in the conservative party seem hell bent on keeping the UK imprisoned in the EU customs union.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"so neither of you can put up a SINGLE proposed case of workers rights being reduced or removed.

Seriously?

That is why proposals such as the temporary deal on aviation is contingent on no reduction in employment rights in the UK.

They read the speeches, the papers, the tweets by the Brextremists. Perhaps you should, too."

Well I have googled that condition and cant find, I think you have dreamed that up too, you obviously cant tell the difference between what the government has proposed and an individuals ideas, of course ALL eu rules are being transposed into uk law the day we leave so in any cse nothing will change until new laws are brought into change a single thing

over a year ago

"

Brexit is supposed to make the UK more international "

Bahahahahaha.

Hahaha

I actually laughed out loud.

There is no way you're for real mate. You've been rumbled.

over a year ago

"Good business people make good business decisions, I don't see any conflict in how he voted.

I don’t see your lack of understanding, on why he promoted Brexit then decided to fuck off when it looks like he’s not going to be able to exploit his workers as much as he planned to, is especially relevant.

What the fuck has the colour of his skin got to do with it? You've lost the plot fella. "

I was making fun of that guy. He's the white supremacist bloke, posting all kinds of nonsense about the white race not mixing with others. I was just making fun of him.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"so neither of you can put up a SINGLE proposed case of workers rights being reduced or removed.

Seriously?

They read the speeches, the papers, the tweets by the Brextremists. Perhaps you should, too.

Well I have googled that condition and cant find, I think you have dreamed that up too, you obviously cant tell the difference between what the government has proposed and an individuals ideas, of course ALL eu rules are being transposed into uk law the day we leave so in any cse nothing will change until new laws are brought into change a single thing"

You mixing up some things there.

In the event of no deal, the EU has put forward a proposal that would maintain aviation links temporarily.

It has a number of conditions, including a cap on flights at 2018 levels and the right to revoke in the event the UK seeks competitive advantage through withdrawal of employment legislation.

You can find it on the EU website.

over a year ago

"Apparently it isn’t for tax purposes, Singapore charges 17% and the UK 19% (does save him £20m straight away though!) It is apparently to enable Dyson to be a Global Tech Company! Ouch, that hurts even more given Brexit was ‘supposed’ to make us more International & easier to do business with...

Brexit is supposed to make the UK more international but a small band of remoaning cunts in the conservative party seem hell bent on keeping the UK imprisoned in the EU customs union. "

I’m lost. How has the CU influenced dysons decision ?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

the other interesting "titbit" is that the EV division (the one that was going to make the prototype electrics cars) which was originally slated to be made in the uk... thats also going to singapore

That was known about last October. The concepts will be made and tested in the UK, and prototype production models in Singapore."

Dyson invested millions building a test track in the UK last year and I posted about it on here at the time. As you can see on this thread though remainers don't listen, it just goes in one ear and out the other.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

The Air Transport (Basic Connectivity) regulation, published Dec 19 by the Commission, refers.

It is dependent upon reciprocity by the UK.

I

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Apparently it isn’t for tax purposes, Singapore charges 17% and the UK 19% (does save him £20m straight away though!) It is apparently to enable Dyson to be a Global Tech Company! Ouch, that hurts even more given Brexit was ‘supposed’ to make us more International & easier to do business with...

Brexit is supposed to make the UK more international but a small band of remoaning cunts in the conservative party seem hell bent on keeping the UK imprisoned in the EU customs union.

I’m lost. How has the CU influenced dysons decision ?"

Maybe he sees that's the way Parliament is going, with the speaker John Bercow breaking centuries of Parliamentary precedence (making new rules up for Parliament as he goes along), and remainer backbenchers plotting to keep the UK in a customs union with the EU. It's rumoured now Bercow is considering giving backbenchers the right to put forward primary legislation (currently only the government can do this). The Queen may now be asked to step in by the government to get involved to put a stop to Bercow's antics.

By *r Kipling tart fillerMan
over a year ago

Tart filling facility

Don't we already have much better workers rights than the EU dictates? I'm guessing the removal of them is something the remainders are suggesting?

Dyson like many are ready to cash out if our country is tied to only dealing with the EU.

Or we could prosper with a no deal and the biggest European growth.

Here's what the IMF have to say(if this lets me post links):

https://order-order.com/2019/01/21/imf-uk-will-fastest-growing-european-g7-country-brexit/

over a year ago

Maybe he sees that's the way Parliament is going, with the speaker John Bercow breaking centuries of Parliamentary precedence (making new rules up for Parliament as he goes along), and remainer backbenchers plotting to keep the UK in a customs union with the EU. It's rumoured now Bercow is considering giving backbenchers the right to put forward primary legislation (currently only the government can do this). The Queen may now be asked to step in by the government to get involved to put a stop to Bercow's antics. "

You really think that Duson would pull off a knee jerk decision like that ? And two top bods will have signed up to a move to Singapore (as nice as it is) just as quick? This feels more like a deflection than an answer.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Maybe he sees that's the way Parliament is going, with the speaker John Bercow breaking centuries of Parliamentary precedence (making new rules up for Parliament as he goes along), and remainer backbenchers plotting to keep the UK in a customs union with the EU. It's rumoured now Bercow is considering giving backbenchers the right to put forward primary legislation (currently only the government can do this). The Queen may now be asked to step in by the government to get involved to put a stop to Bercow's antics. "

Ah, so you oppose the sovereignty of Parliament then?

Funny, I thought that was the mantra of Brexit.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"The Air Transport (Basic Connectivity) regulation, published Dec 19 by the Commission, refers.

I"

The uk said in sept it would allow eu flights, IE long before the eu said anything but of course remainers will be in denial about that fact too

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

& now P&O are re-registering their ferries in Cyprus and Sony are moving their HQ to Amsterdam.

Brexit is a complete and utter mess & it isnt as a result of remoaners, it is as a result of the singular self interest of Brexiteers who are only in it for themselves!

Nobody in their right mind can look at this and say it is going well and it is going to be great. We are patently losing out every day - why the fuck should we progress down this ridiculous line

over a year ago

"& now P&O are re-registering their ferries in Cyprus and Sony are moving their HQ to Amsterdam.

Brexit is a complete and utter mess & it isnt as a result of remoaners, it is as a result of the singular self interest of Brexiteers who are only in it for themselves!

Nobody in their right mind can look at this and say it is going well and it is going to be great. We are patently losing out every day - why the fuck should we progress down this ridiculous line "

Because more people wanted the above than those that did not.

over a year ago

While it does look a bit embarrassing for a brexit poster boy to be moving, I don’t see it’s as hypocritical as it could seem. Not unless he prescribes to Minfords economic model.

What it does show is the importance of the economic strength of your neighbours and good and easy trading relations.

I suspect dyson is not in the “no deal” camp. Nor wishing destruction to the euro or the EU.

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

If the brexitiers jumping ship are hoping to do so from a Seabourne ship they got a long wait ,,,,, they ain't got no ships !!!

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

No high profile brexiteer has jumped ship. To do so would mean that they were pro brexit for political reasons.

All rich, high profile brexiteers (like Dyson, JRM and BoJo) are pro brexit for what they can make out of it.

It is called disaster economics and power grabs, both require the UK economy and political structure to fail so that they can move in and make a killing.

It has all been well planned, Bojo is looking to gain power, JRM, Dyson and many others will make a financial killing and if that costs the lives of some hoi-polloi well what do they care?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"No high profile brexiteer has jumped ship. To do so would mean that they were pro brexit for political reasons.

All rich, high profile brexiteers (like Dyson, JRM and BoJo) are pro brexit for what they can make out of it.

It is called disaster economics and power grabs, both require the UK economy and political structure to fail so that they can move in and make a killing.

It has all been well planned, Bojo is looking to gain power, JRM, Dyson and many others will make a financial killing and if that costs the lives of some hoi-polloi well what do they care? "

I'm sure Bojo, JRM and Dyson appreciated your vote to leave will.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

That was known about last October. The concepts will be made and tested in the UK, and prototype production models in Singapore.

Dyson invested millions building a test track in the UK last year and I posted about it on here at the time. As you can see on this thread though remainers don't listen, it just goes in one ear and out the other. "

Lots of money spent in the UK for design and development for several hundred libtard middle class engineers. Excellent. We are all aware of that.

Much, much more money to be spent in Singapore to build the manufacturing plant for production. Bringing thousands of jobs and an associated supplier base to Singapore?

Why is that?

Not lower wages. Better quality product because the workforce produces better quality output.

Incidentally, most workers come in from Malaysia every day. Immigrant labour. Well paid but they tax they pay stays in Singapore. It doesn't go into Malaysia's infrastructure, schools, hospitals etc.

Slightly lower taxes.

Proximity to their biggest market.

We don't want immigrants.

We want good technicians jobs.

We are not ever going to be geographically close to the far east. We are, however, really close to another of the world's wealthiest markets. The EU.

Before you babble about growth remember that a poor country will grow very fast, but they will remain poor for a long time and the vast majority of people will be buying low cost goods. A wealthy country may grow slowly but it has money to spend on the things we actually make.

How will leaving the EU help Dyson, or anyone else, change their mind about the location of these sorts of facilities?

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"While it does look a bit embarrassing for a brexit poster boy to be moving, I don’t see it’s as hypocritical as it could seem. Not unless he prescribes to Minfords economic model.

What it does show is the importance of the economic strength of your neighbours and good and easy trading relations.

I suspect dyson is not in the “no deal” camp. Nor wishing destruction to the euro or the EU. "

Dyson was primarily annoyed about the EU power consumption test standards which were penalising their products.

Ironically, the ECJ ruled in their favour last year.

Dyson hasn't been mentioning Brexit much has it?

over a year ago

"& now P&O are re-registering their ferries in Cyprus and Sony are moving their HQ to Amsterdam.

Nobody in their right mind can look at this and say it is going well and it is going to be great. We are patently losing out every day - why the fuck should we progress down this ridiculous line

Because more people wanted the above than those that did not. "

Because it's painful for people to admit to themselves that they were wrong

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Because more people wanted the above than those that did not.

Because it's painful for people to admit to themselves that they were wrong "

True. It's close to impossible if you invest deeply and publicly in something. It's heavily ego driven.

It's why good money gets thrown after bad. It's why gamblers always make "one last bet" to make it good...

over a year ago

Being an advocate of Brexit making Britain great again and then moving HQ and business to Singapore doesn’t smack of hypocrisy? Of course he can do it, but should he? Its like JRM having set up a business in Ireland and various Brexiteers taking up dual citizenship.

These guys talk about making Britain great, but it is just a sham to screw the rest of us "

No not really, it's just modern day business.

You think of the UK being a business I think of it being my home, he may well hold both views?.

I didn't vote Brexit for business, I couldn't give a shit about it.

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

These guys talk about making Britain great, but it is just a sham to screw the rest of us .

You think of the UK being a business I think of it being my home, he may well hold both views?.

I didn't vote Brexit for business, I couldn't give a shit about it."

No inward investment leads to no jobs and giving a shit becomes an issue. At that point you can’t just say now I give a shit and someone waves a magic wand to put it right! Open your eyes now and protect your future - the disconnect between dreams & reality on Brexit is laughable, well it would be if I was on the outside looking in, like Dyson

over a year ago

Howmany times have you repeated this lie about workers rights and environmental controls being removed we have better workers rights in several areas now than the eu does, once again lets have some details of what is being removed"

Why won't the PM table official policy to maintain them for at least another decade?

Is it maybe because the average worker and citizen might have some liberties stripped to keep the country afloat.

over a year ago

These guys talk about making Britain great, but it is just a sham to screw the rest of us .

I didn't vote Brexit for business, I couldn't give a shit about it."

I get what you're saying pal, but there's little point in having a home if you can't even run the heating to keep the damp off the walls

over a year ago

Why won't the PM table official policy to maintain them for at least another decade?

Is it maybe because the average worker and citizen might have some liberties stripped to keep the country afloat."

Can't wait for the rallying austerity cries from government urging everyone to row in for Queen and country, tighten their belt, blah blah blah

All totally avoidable of course, two months left.

over a year ago

Who cares!? Let’s jump on our white horse and start a moral crusade. Anyone....no?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"The Air Transport (Basic Connectivity) regulation, published Dec 19 by the Commission, refers.

I

The uk said in sept it would allow eu flights, IE long before the eu said anything but of course remainers will be in denial about that fact too"

The EU aviation market regulation has been drafted and is ready to be adopted into EU law.

Before it can be implemented, the UK needs to approve an equivalent legal regulation for the UK aviation market.

This would create a level playing field between the two separate markets from March 30 and create a legal framework for airlines operating between the two jurisdictions in the event there is no comprehensive withdrawal agreement in place.

The UK has yet to do so.

Perhaps you can explain why?

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

HENRY Hoover is a proud Remainer who will fight for a second vote for the people of Britain, manufacturers have confirmed.

The cheerful vacuum cleaner, an avid follower of UK politics, cast his vote for Remain in 2016 and has battled media disinformation and Brexiter lies ever since to save the country from economic ruin.

A spokesman for manufacturer Nuismatic said: “Henry won’t have the wool pulled over his eyes. He knows what’s up.

“A life dedicated to clearing up the messes left behind by the careless and clumsy – usually Tories, let’s face it – meant he identified Brexit for the clusterfuck it was straight away.

“He’s not some posh bagless only used to picking up Pomeranian hair. Henry does hard service with the cleaners of Britain and, with inexorable logic and his smiley face, he’s convinced them we need another vote.

“You might have seen him on the march, leading Hetty, James, little Henry, George and Charles. They won’t abandon you. Not like a stuck-up Dyson.”

over a year ago

So Britain has lost multiple companies so far, but look at all the companies who are begging to deal with the UK, such as,..., erm,..., shit.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

All these company’s leaving the uk but still employment at a record high ?

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"So Britain has lost multiple companies so far, but look at all the companies who are begging to deal with the UK, such as,..., erm,..., shit. "

There will be companies that will have to set up a local office.

They will not be European or regional headquarters though.

There will be companies that locate here based on financial incentives, although these will have to be bigger than they were previously.

It will all be a bit crappier than now because that what we voted for. To be a little less. To be a little crappier even though it has been sold as a benefit. The choice we have is by how much.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"All these company’s leaving the uk but still employment at a record high ?"

Doing what?

Employment was rising from 2014. Go and look at the data.

It would have risen further by now if our economy didn't take a hit after the referendum. So would real wage growth.

We chose OK over good or great and are celebrating it.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"All these company’s leaving the uk but still employment at a record high ?

Doing what?

It would have risen further by now if our economy didn't take a hit after the referendum. So would real wage growth.

We chose OK over good or great and are celebrating it."

if it’s goin up it can only be a good thing can’t it and you don’t know if it would of been good or great know one does it was supposed to of dropped by more than half a million the day after the referendum right and I’m not celebrating I’m just not crying into my coffee ppl are pointing out company’s leaving the uk I just pointed out employment is going up Or isn’t that a plus ?

over a year ago

Losing thousands of high paying jobs in tech and design, but offsetting that with a rise in minimum wage jobs where people barely get by, worth it

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Losing thousands of high paying jobs in tech and design, but offsetting that with a rise in minimum wage jobs where people barely get by, worth it "

im sure it’s worth it to them that are barely getting by imagine there struggles with no job there lives mean just as much as the ones on these high paying jobs in tech and design you have mentioned

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Doing what?

We chose OK over good or great and are celebrating it.if it’s goin up it can only be a good thing can’t it and you don’t know if it would of been good or great know one does it was supposed to of dropped by more than half a million the day after the referendum right and I’m not celebrating I’m just not crying into my coffee ppl are pointing out company’s leaving the uk I just pointed out employment is going up Or isn’t that a plus ?"

No, it wasn't. The fall would have been if nothing was done. Billions of public money was spent in ensuring that didn't happen. Money that could have been spent elsewhere.

We also still kept trading under the same terms.

I'm not crying, but people are not working now who could have been.

over a year ago

Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses. I'm sure these people can just find some minimum wage job though right?

over a year ago

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses. I'm sure these people can just find some minimum wage job though right? "

I think the term is a McJob..

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Now bobs jumped on it I’m of to top meself can’t cope with the gloooooom lol

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses. I'm sure these people can just find some minimum wage job though right? "
Is this to do with brexit?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses. I'm sure these people can just find some minimum wage job though right? Is this to do with brexit?"
yes don’t you know every job lose now is down to brexit befor 2016 there was no job loses lol

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses. I'm sure these people can just find some minimum wage job though right? Is this to do with brexit?"

I doubt it. There are a lot of high street jobs in danger.

In large part because we choose to buy cheap goods online from abroad from companies like Amazon that are not paying appropriate tax and because shops are penalised additionally with business rates that are the biggest discretionary source of Council income.

All of this could be changed now but hasn't been. Why should it change after Brexit?

What sort of jobs are available once these have gone?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses. I'm sure these people can just find some minimum wage job though right? Is this to do with brexit?

In large part because we choose to buy cheap goods online from abroad from companies like Amazon that are not paying appropriate tax and because shops are penalised additionally with business rates that are the biggest discretionary source of Council income.

All of this could be changed now but hasn't been. Why should it change after Brexit?

What sort of jobs are available once these have gone?"

the high street have ad plenty time to change the internet Amazon eBay arnt exactly brand new everyone buys online now me you the ppl who work on the high street I think the future of the high street is in nightlife we will see the big 5 supermarkets change towards the aldi and lidle type supermarkets soon aswell because ppl just don’t want to pay over the odds and why should they

over a year ago

"Is this to do with brexit?"

When they're closing branches in the UK but opening more in Europe? I mean, it's not blamed directly but it's one hell of a coincidence, on top of Dyson leaving and Sony saying they're also leaving, but hey, we've took back the country am I right?

over a year ago

The uk has allowed all major production to be farmed out to other EU countries and has concentrated on financial services can anyone see the problem?

It’s not rocket science is it!

over a year ago

"

Can't wait for the rallying austerity cries from government urging everyone to row in for Queen and country, tighten their belt, blah blah blah

All totally avoidable of course, two months left. "

I'm sure if taxes have to go up because of this then many will find routes to avoid paying for others ideological dreams

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses. I'm sure these people can just find some minimum wage job though right? Is this to do with brexit?

What sort of jobs are available once these have gone? the high street have ad plenty time to change the internet Amazon eBay arnt exactly brand new everyone buys online now me you the ppl who work on the high street I think the future of the high street is in nightlife we will see the big 5 supermarkets change towards the aldi and lidle type supermarkets soon aswell because ppl just don’t want to pay over the odds and why should they "

The high street cannot "adapt" if they are paying business rates and tax on top of what online only retailers pay. They can't "adapt" if they can't track activity levels like in an Amazon warehouse. They can't "adapt" if they train their staff to advise customers on products.

Nightlife? People are going to go out more than now? How? Why? These thousands of people who were selling things and stacking shelves are going to work in bars and restaurants because they use the same skill sets and similar working hours? There's zero evidence of that.

Paying over the odds?

You get what you pay for in terms of quality to some extent. Faster growing or breeding species. More intensive. More drugs and fertiliser. Lower nutritional content or flavour. The environment that you shop in. Lower wages.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

What sort of jobs are available once these have gone? the high street have ad plenty time to change the internet Amazon eBay arnt exactly brand new everyone buys online now me you the ppl who work on the high street I think the future of the high street is in nightlife we will see the big 5 supermarkets change towards the aldi and lidle type supermarkets soon aswell because ppl just don’t want to pay over the odds and why should they

The high street cannot "adapt" if they are paying business rates and tax on top of what online only retailers pay. They can't "adapt" if they can't track activity levels like in an Amazon warehouse. They can't "adapt" if they train their staff to advise customers on products.

Nightlife? People are going to go out more than now? How? Why? These thousands of people who were selling things and stacking shelves are going to work in bars and restaurants because they use the same skill sets and similar working hours? There's zero evidence of that.

Paying over the odds?

You get what you pay for in terms of quality to some extent. Faster growing or breeding species. More intensive. More drugs and fertiliser. Lower nutritional content or flavour. The environment that you shop in. Lower wages."

so if it’s not night life then what do you think the high street will be used for then ?

over a year ago

I think high streets will end up predominantly residential.

The Internet is and will end up killing off the high as we know it.

By *raceytvcdTV/TS
over a year ago

mansfield

warehouse work ,Britain's just one big warehouse for foreign goods been that way for years.come and store your foreign made goods here

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"I think high streets will end up predominantly residential.

The Internet is and will end up killing off the high as we know it. "

I too hold that theory. Things will go full circle and we will go back to the times when housing is within the central areas of towns and people go out of town to shop.

over a year ago

"I think high streets will end up predominantly residential.

The Internet is and will end up killing off the high as we know it.

I too hold that theory. Things will go full circle and we will go back to the times when housing is within the central areas of towns and people go out of town to shop.

"

I'm hoping for a rise of an analogue movement.

Pens paper books conversations local business dumb phones

Not recording every second of your life like a vacuous narsisist.

Some people have had an enough and see the damage technology is doing. I mean you have a brewing civil war in the UK with big thanks to facebook for getting it across the line.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

What sort of jobs are available once these have gone? the high street have ad plenty time to change the internet Amazon eBay arnt exactly brand new everyone buys online now me you the ppl who work on the high street I think the future of the high street is in nightlife we will see the big 5 supermarkets change towards the aldi and lidle type supermarkets soon aswell because ppl just don’t want to pay over the odds and why should they

Paying over the odds?

You get what you pay for in terms of quality to some extent. Faster growing or breeding species. More intensive. More drugs and fertiliser. Lower nutritional content or flavour. The environment that you shop in. Lower wages. so if it’s not night life then what do you think the high street will be used for then ? "

There's no reason that the high street should be replaced by anything. There are enough boarded up shops to demonstrate that all over the country.

Residential may be an option but that requires investment. What margin makes it worthwhile? We've failed to make adequate provision for years.

Again; where do you think thus demand for "night life" will come from that wasn't there already? Have you not seen the turnover if restaurants and bars already?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Paying over the odds?

You get what you pay for in terms of quality to some extent. Faster growing or breeding species. More intensive. More drugs and fertiliser. Lower nutritional content or flavour. The environment that you shop in. Lower wages. so if it’s not night life then what do you think the high street will be used for then ?

There's no reason that the high street should be replaced by anything. There are enough boarded up shops to demonstrate that all over the country.

Residential may be an option but that requires investment. What margin makes it worthwhile? We've failed to make adequate provision for years.

Again; where do you think thus demand for "night life" will come from that wasn't there already? Have you not seen the turnover if restaurants and bars already?"

I don’t know what it’s like we’re you live but the nightlife here is growing bars are popping up everywhere in the center of town in Stockton on tees the widest high street in England it’s the same night life returning they have been dead for more than twenty yrs but the bars are opening up It’s the local pubs struggling the most

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses. "

And you're saying this is because of Brexit?

Santander closed 450 branches in Soain in 2016, with over 1,000 job losses.... and then a year later axed a further 2,000 jobs in Spain. Was that because of Brexit?

over a year ago

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses.

Santander closed 450 branches in Soain in 2016, with over 1,000 job losses.... and then a year later axed a further 2,000 jobs in Spain. Was that because of Brexit?"

When they're opening more branches in Europe, yeah, what's your take on Dyson and Sony leaving the UK too?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Some people just want to blame everything on brexit mate.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Is this to do with brexit?

When they're closing branches in the UK but opening more in Europe? I mean, it's not blamed directly but it's one hell of a coincidence, on top of Dyson leaving and Sony saying they're also leaving, but hey, we've took back the country am I right? "

ya darn skippy!!! i mean i would throw away my new sony wireless headphones in disgust.... but they are so darn good!!!!

By *naqMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

Because the stiff upper lip attitude really helps doesnt it? This is why people go red in the face trying to have a debate on here. The leave camp blaim everyone and anyone first chance they get if someone engages in the debate with quotes or facts they are berated with rhetorical nonsense and bullied off the forums with the "No means No Get on with it" attitude. It's like im sitting in the house of lords myself :/ Can we designate a speaker of the Fab house or at least get a referee? If the biased Bbc buzzwords get thrown around too much the speaker can hopefully settle the children and calm the house

over a year ago

"Oh look, Santander have just announced they're closing branches in the UK which will cause 1,270 job losses.

Santander closed 450 branches in Soain in 2016, with over 1,000 job losses.... and then a year later axed a further 2,000 jobs in Spain. Was that because of Brexit?"

I highly doubt it

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

That hasnt happened by accident. Do you know how many billions of £ the Bank of England has pumped into the economy since June 2016 to stop the country going down the shitter??

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

LoL

Employment is only at an record hight because the statistics are being manipulated. The ONS uses the LFS figures to estimate employment rates and it is these that the government are now quoting. The LFS counts anyone who works 1 hour a week or more including those who do unpaid family work and those in training or on government employment schemes as being employed. If you don't believe me google the Office of National Statistics and check what I have said.

But hey I guess 1 hours work a week is working enough if you're running a government that has spent the last 9 years making nearly everyone poorer to double the wealth of the super rich and you need to keep conning the people your robbing blind. After all how many of them are actually going to check how the stats are compiled when they come from the ONS.

By *endrix30Man
over a year ago

dudley

LoL

Employment is only at an record hight because the statistics are being manipulated. The ONS uses the LFS figures to estimate employment rates and it is these that the government are now quoting. The LFS counts anyone who works 1 hour a week or more including those who do unpaid family work and those in training or on government employment schemes as being employed. If you don't believe me google the Office of National Statistics and check what I have said.

But hey I guess 1 hours work a week is working enough if you're running a government that has spent the last 9 years making nearly everyone poorer to double the wealth of the super rich and you need to keep conning the people your robbing blind. After all how many of them are actually going to check how the stats are compiled when they come from the ONS."

How very true,the tories have always fiddled the employment and unemployment figures to con people into thinking that all is well, they always do it whenever they are in power.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

That hasnt happened by accident. Do you know how many billions of £ the Bank of England has pumped into the economy since June 2016 to stop the country going down the shitter??"

Do you know how many TRILLIONS the EU has pumped into the EU economy in the same time....and how are the EU economies doing?

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

LoL

But hey I guess 1 hours work a week is working enough if you're running a government that has spent the last 9 years making nearly everyone poorer to double the wealth of the super rich and you need to keep conning the people your robbing blind. After all how many of them are actually going to check how the stats are compiled when they come from the ONS."

Are you saying the LFS figures are irrelevant and shouldn't be used....how else should we measure employment/unemployment?

over a year ago

It felt like they were saying that the numbers should be quoted with care... there’s not necessarily a happy story behind the happy figures.

However as with many nations stats there’s limited alternatives.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

That hasnt happened by accident. Do you know how many billions of £ the Bank of England has pumped into the economy since June 2016 to stop the country going down the shitter??

Do you know how many TRILLIONS the EU has pumped into the EU economy in the same time....and how are the EU economies doing?"

The largest bail-out by any central bank in the EU member states was that by the Bank of England.

Only a very small fraction of that “new money” found its way into your pocket or mine. The vast majority was gobbled up by City institutions to stop them drying up. The rest of us got austerity.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

Do you know how many TRILLIONS the EU has pumped into the EU economy in the same time....and how are the EU economies doing?

The largest bail-out by any central bank in the EU member states was that by the Bank of England.

Only a very small fraction of that “new money” found its way into your pocket or mine. The vast majority was gobbled up by City institutions to stop them drying up. The rest of us got austerity."

The ECB has pumped over €2.4 Trillion in QE since 2015.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

LoL

We have to use LFS.

The LFS figures are required to be used across the EU.... EU directive 577/98 plus amendments.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Paying over the odds?

You get what you pay for in terms of quality to some extent. Faster growing or breeding species. More intensive. More drugs and fertiliser. Lower nutritional content or flavour. The environment that you shop in. Lower wages. so if it’s not night life then what do you think the high street will be used for then ?

Again; where do you think thus demand for "night life" will come from that wasn't there already? Have you not seen the turnover if restaurants and bars already? I don’t know what it’s like we’re you live but the nightlife here is growing bars are popping up everywhere in the center of town in Stockton on tees the widest high street in England it’s the same night life returning they have been dead for more than twenty yrs but the bars are opening up It’s the local pubs struggling the most "

Is that going to replace all the shops in the high street?

From what you say it sounds like there will also be an additional loss of pubs as a consequence.

Regardless, these are low wage, anti-social hours jobs. They are not a replacement for those losing retail jobs.

What will be?

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Only a very small fraction of that “new money” found its way into your pocket or mine. The vast majority was gobbled up by City institutions to stop them drying up. The rest of us got austerity.

The ECB has pumped over €2.4 Trillion in QE since 2015."

Do you read around a subject when you post or just find the information for your argument.

The ECB spent €2.4 Trillion for 19 countries including 2 from the G7.

The BoE spent £475bn (€548bn) on its own.

The Fed spent $4.5trn

Japan $690bn

It was a coordinated process.

I'm not sure what your point is though. Does it imply that one country won or lost if it spent more or less?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Paying over the odds?

Again; where do you think thus demand for "night life" will come from that wasn't there already? Have you not seen the turnover if restaurants and bars already? I don’t know what it’s like we’re you live but the nightlife here is growing bars are popping up everywhere in the center of town in Stockton on tees the widest high street in England it’s the same night life returning they have been dead for more than twenty yrs but the bars are opening up It’s the local pubs struggling the most

From what you say it sounds like there will also be an additional loss of pubs as a consequence.

Regardless, these are low wage, anti-social hours jobs. They are not a replacement for those losing retail jobs.

What will be? "

no I don’t think them jobs will replaced by night life the internet is allready doing that that’s why the high street is dying but useing the high street for something else will help and it won’t make a difference to the local they have been dying for a long time ppl drink more at home cheap booze from supermarkets and garden furniture have helped that decline ppl drink at home and in garden more now 25 yrs ago I’d never seen garden furniture lol or again am I wrong

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Paying over the odds?

Again; where do you think thus demand for "night life" will come from that wasn't there already? Have you not seen the turnover if restaurants and bars already? I don’t know what it’s like we’re you live but the nightlife here is growing bars are popping up everywhere in the center of town in Stockton on tees the widest high street in England it’s the same night life returning they have been dead for more than twenty yrs but the bars are opening up It’s the local pubs struggling the most

What will be? no I don’t think them jobs will replaced by night life the internet is allready doing that that’s why the high street is dying but useing the high street for something else will help and it won’t make a difference to the local they have been dying for a long time ppl drink more at home cheap booze from supermarkets and garden furniture have helped that decline ppl drink at home and in garden more now 25 yrs ago I’d never seen garden furniture lol or again am I wrong "

The internet is not replacing those jobs. Warehouses will be fully automated soon anyway.

Thus entire process leads to low price, low quality, high disposability. This sort of tat is made abroad at such low coat that it's economical to ship it here from the other side of the planet.

None of that helps the UK Brexit or not.

Neither does "nightlife". I still don't understand what drives the demand for this. One or two areas sucking even more life out of smaller towns?

You always seem to be rather fatalist. No urge to try and fix it? Tax internet companies properly so that they contribute to the infrastructure that they rely on to make their money? That requires international cooperation to do it properly not stamping off by yourself. Even now the tax system could be modified to add an online sales tax. Some of that going into reducing business rates for independent shops in particular.

Somehow I don't see many people being thrilled by that because even the 52% like cheap foreign goods.

It would help us though.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Paying over the odds?

What will be? no I don’t think them jobs will replaced by night life the internet is allready doing that that’s why the high street is dying but useing the high street for something else will help and it won’t make a difference to the local they have been dying for a long time ppl drink more at home cheap booze from supermarkets and garden furniture have helped that decline ppl drink at home and in garden more now 25 yrs ago I’d never seen garden furniture lol or again am I wrong

The internet is not replacing those jobs. Warehouses will be fully automated soon anyway.

Thus entire process leads to low price, low quality, high disposability. This sort of tat is made abroad at such low cost that it's economical to ship it here from the other side of the planet.

"

But remainers often argue it's essential to trade more with near geographical neighbours to reduce shipping costs, etc. Now you're saying distance isn't a factor and stuff can be made cheaper including shipping from the other side of the world. Make your mind up.

over a year ago

Paying over the odds?

What will be? no I don’t think them jobs will replaced by night life the internet is allready doing that that’s why the high street is dying but useing the high street for something else will help and it won’t make a difference to the local they have been dying for a long time ppl drink more at home cheap booze from supermarkets and garden furniture have helped that decline ppl drink at home and in garden more now 25 yrs ago I’d never seen garden furniture lol or again am I wrong

Thus entire process leads to low price, low quality, high disposability. This sort of tat is made abroad at such low cost that it's economical to ship it here from the other side of the planet.

But remainers often argue it's essential to trade more with near geographical neighbours to reduce shipping costs, etc. Now you're saying distance isn't a factor and stuff can be made cheaper including shipping from the other side of the world. Make your mind up. "

Remainers. And Dyson.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Paying over the odds?

Thus entire process leads to low price, low quality, high disposability. This sort of tat is made abroad at such low coat that it's economical to ship it here from the other side of the planet.

Neither does "nightlife". I still don't understand what drives the demand for this. One or two areas sucking even more life out of smaller towns?

You always seem to be rather fatalist. No urge to try and fix it? Tax internet companies properly so that they contribute to the infrastructure that they rely on to make their money? That requires international cooperation to do it properly not stamping off by yourself. Even now the tax system could be modified to add an online sales tax. Some of that going into reducing business rates for independent shops in particular.

Somehow I don't see many people being thrilled by that because even the 52% like cheap foreign goods.

It would help us though."

Chancellor Philip Hammond has already proposed putting an online transaction fee tax on online retailers such as Amazon. It will soon become part of Conservative party policy. We don't need to be in the EU to do that and are perfectly capable of doing it as a free independent country.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Paying over the odds?

But remainers often argue it's essential to trade more with near geographical neighbours to reduce shipping costs, etc. Now you're saying distance isn't a factor and stuff can be made cheaper including shipping from the other side of the world. Make your mind up.

Remainers. And Dyson.

"

This whole Dyson thing is a bit of a red Herring. Dyson employs 4,800 people in Britain. He's moved 2 members of staff out of the UK with this latest move. He will now be employing 4,798 people in Britain so a bit of context may help. Dyson has 4% of his business trade in the UK. Dyson will still be doing 4% of his trade within the UK after this move.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Paying over the odds?

But remainers often argue it's essential to trade more with near geographical neighbours to reduce shipping costs, etc. Now you're saying distance isn't a factor and stuff can be made cheaper including shipping from the other side of the world. Make your mind up. "

Can't help yourself can you? Get involved and get it wrong.

Low cost and low wage to the extent that it becomes economical to ship across the world.

Is that what you want for the UK? Low cost and low wage? Your Brexit dream?

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Paying over the odds?

It would help us though.

Chancellor Philip Hammond has already proposed putting an online transaction fee tax on online retailers such as Amazon. It will soon become part of Conservative party policy. We don't need to be in the EU to do that and are perfectly capable of doing it as a free independent country. "

...and we could have done it 10 years ago and chose not to.

You are quite right. The EU is not stopping us from doing most things so what do you want to take back control over?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Paying over the odds?

Low cost and low wage to the extent that it becomes economical to ship across the world.

Is that what you want for the UK? Low cost and low wage? Your Brexit dream?"

I wasn't referring to UK exports to the rest of the world. I was referring to imports into the UK from the rest of the world. Why do we need to import so much from the EU if it's cheaper (as you said) to import from the other side of the world. The UK imports more than it exports (another remainer argument). You got involved and you got it wrong.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Paying over the odds?

Is that what you want for the UK? Low cost and low wage? Your Brexit dream?

I wasn't referring to UK exports to the rest of the world. I was referring to imports into the UK from the rest of the world. Why do we need to import so much from the EU if it's cheaper (as you said) to import from the other side of the world. The UK imports more than it exports (another remainer argument). You got involved and you got it wrong. "

Because we do not import the higher value, complex goods and components that we import from the EU from developing economies because they are not produced there to the standards we require and the cost and speed of delivery becomes too big.

You do not even understand what you are arguing over Centaur, but you're arguing anyway.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Paying over the odds?

Remainers. And Dyson.

This whole Dyson thing is a bit of a red Herring. Dyson employs 4,800 people in Britain. He's moved 2 members of staff out of the UK with this latest move. He will now be employing 4,798 people in Britain so a bit of context may help. Dyson has 4% of his business trade in the UK. Dyson will still be doing 4% of his trade within the UK after this move. "

Dyson are re-headquartering and building it's plant with all of it's manufacturing jobs and supplier base to Singapore near its biggest potential market.

Export benefits and well paid technician level jobs are not coming to the UK.

They are already expanding their R&D presence in Singapore and Malaysia because, guess what, we don't want to do that sort of thing ourselves. They are already full of European and other international engineers.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Paying over the odds?

You always seem to be rather fatalist. No urge to try and fix it? Tax internet companies properly so that they contribute to the infrastructure that they rely on to make their money? That requires international cooperation to do it properly not stamping off by yourself. Even now the tax system could be modified to add an online sales tax. Some of that going into reducing business rates for independent shops in particular. Why am I always fatalist ? I gave an opinion on what I think will become of the high street you gave yrs you said residential was an option so why is my opinion fatalist and yrs forward thinking atleast my opinion would still have jobs on the high street but yrs would have zero ?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Paying over the odds?

You always seem to be rather fatalist. No urge to try and fix it? Tax internet companies properly so that they contribute to the infrastructure that they rely on to make their money? That requires international cooperation to do it properly not stamping off by yourself. Even now the tax system could be modified to add an online sales tax. Some of that going into reducing business rates for independent shops in particular. Why am I always fatalist ? I gave an opinion on what I think will become of the high street you gave yrs you said residential was an option so why is my opinion fatalist and yrs forward thinking atleast my opinion would still have jobs on the high street but yrs would have zero ?

Post new Message to Thread