Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

General Election?

Jump to newest

By *ara J OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

The papers today are full of gossip about a General Election on February 28.

How can that be?

Mrs May said she would not lead the Conservative Party into the next election.

A party leadership election, assuming it is contested, takes weeks.

Is this another lie by Mrs May?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

i think its a rumour swallowed by the media simply to put a bit more pressure on some of their MP's especially those in marginals or where their position is different from how their constituencies voted..

By *ara J OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

In which case, it has come from the spin doctors somewhere in Whitehall.

In whose interests is it to allow the speculation?

And wouldn't it require Article 50 to be withdrawn or delayed - the last thing the country needs if it is leaving on March 29 is for Government to effectively close down for six weeks.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"In which case, it has come from the spin doctors somewhere in Whitehall.

In whose interests is it to allow the speculation?

And wouldn't it require Article 50 to be withdrawn or delayed - the last thing the country needs if it is leaving on March 29 is for Government to effectively close down for six weeks.

"

Agree, its not needed now and i think its the last thing they want either as a party..

Leadership election will happen before one i reckon..

not surprising there are games within games and plots, they all have them and possibly even more relevant in a divided party..

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

No fan of May....but how can the OP say it's a lie?

She hasn't called an election....clearly another delusional newspaper editor speculating. We should all know by now, not to trust or believe the press until proven by fact.

We will see.

By *ara J OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

it appears the Cabinet secretary, the most senior civil, servant, has instructed heads of departments to make preparations for a snap election.

Presumably, after working through the various permutations arising from Mrs May's Plan B vote on Monday.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The papers today are full of gossip about a General Election on February 28.

How can that be?

Is this another lie by Mrs May?"

nope... if i was a tory it might do two things to help her

1) i'd be tempted to take my chances against corbyn... he is leading labour into a shame as the truth is there party is as divided on europe as the tories are...

2) if we were to get a majority... it means she would be able to tell the DUP to "do one"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

How can that be?

Probably yes.

It’s all lies.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The media are by and large led by right wing forces, that have encouraged brexit and don't care if May or an extremist leads the conservatives to an election. They're happy to distract from the issues of conservative brexit incompetence and almost 3 wasted years and £billions, as long as they achieve brexit at any cost. They'll thus throw up distractions, such as a general election and possibly continuing the scary infantile stories of what the moderate Corbyn might mean for the UK, as part of their manipulation of the people, towards their own ends.

Many media influencers are against the EU's stance upon wealth, including off-shoring of wealth, into tax havens. They're interested in everyday people paying more tax, so that people like themselves can stay out of the scrutiny and control of governments, whilst they use tax havens etc.

The election date of later in Feb sounds a little dubious, as I'm guessing that May has little interest in resigning and would honour her agreement to not run for a GE. I'm assuming that she didn't mean only in a GE after a further 5 years fixed term

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

How can that be?

1) i'd be tempted to take my chances against corbyn... he is leading labour into a shame as the truth is there party is as divided on europe as the tories are...

2) if we were to get a majority... it means she would be able to tell the DUP to "do one""

Fabio that’s spot on she as to be thinking it’s worth a go how sad when the shower of shit in government still have a chance in a ge goes to show how bad labour are with Corbyn

By *anes HubbyCouple
over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

How can that be?

2) if we were to get a majority... it means she would be able to tell the DUP to "do one" Fabio that’s spot on she as to be thinking it’s worth a go how sad when the shower of shit in government still have a chance in a ge goes to show how bad labour are with Corbyn "

Bad with Corbyn?

Please explain why that is as at the last election the Tories were left without a working majority....

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

How can that be?

2) if we were to get a majority... it means she would be able to tell the DUP to "do one" Fabio that’s spot on she as to be thinking it’s worth a go how sad when the shower of shit in government still have a chance in a ge goes to show how bad labour are with Corbyn

Bad with Corbyn?

Please explain why that is as at the last election the Tories were left without a working majority.... "

And that Labour won more seats than they have in any election since 1997.

The story of the last GE was the utter collapse of the Lib Dems.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

Re: the GE though, isn't it a plot so that if May's deal can't be agreed on, the government won't be sitting to prevent a no deal crash out?

By *ara J OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

The EU has indicated it would be willing to delay Art 50 for an election, but not for a Tory leadership contest.

over a year ago

How can that be?

2) if we were to get a majority... it means she would be able to tell the DUP to "do one" Fabio that’s spot on she as to be thinking it’s worth a go how sad when the shower of shit in government still have a chance in a ge goes to show how bad labour are with Corbyn

Bad with Corbyn?

Please explain why that is as at the last election the Tories were left without a working majority....

"

That was the a few elections ago.

By *ara J OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

"

1997 - Labour won 418 seats

2001 - Labour won 412 seats

2005 - Labour won 354 seats

2010 - Labour won 258 seats

2015 - Labour won 232 seats

2017 - Labour won 262 seats

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

"

1997 - Labour won 418 seats

2001 - Labour won 412 seats

2005 - Labour won 354 seats

2010 - Labour won 258 seats

2015 - Labour won 232 seats

2017 - Labour won 262 seats

"

My mistake - I meant vote share.

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

Actually....after the 7 years of Tory rule with the austerity that came with it, Labour should have walked into number 10.

I suspect that the reason they didn't was Jeremy Bernard Corbyn.

over a year ago

The majority of people in this country will not vote for a left wing government so an election would be a good bet for the tories.

over a year ago

It's fake news.

Even if Theresa May WANTED to call a general election, or if the no confidence vote had gone against her, there simply isn't time to call an election for 28th February.

Under the fixed term parliament act, general elections are held every 5 years on the first Thursday in May.

The Prime Minister can not simply decide to call an election any more.

Either a motion of no-confidence must be brought and succeed - and then there are other procedures that must take place before an election will be held, or, as in the case of 2017, the Prime Minister can make a request to parliament on which there must be a vote.

over a year ago

"The story of the last GE was the utter collapse of the Lib Dems.

"

Er, not quite.

That would be the 2015 election.

In 2017 the Lib Dems actually made a few gains.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

"The story of the last GE was the utter collapse of the Lib Dems.

Er, not quite.

That would be the 2015 election.

In 2017 the Lib Dems actually made a few gains."

Yes, but remained insignificant. The point was more about their extreme confidence that they would make significant gains, to the extent that they would once again be a serious political force based on their pro-remain stance.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

How can that be?

We leave the EU on March 29th and May will be gone soon after.Then we have to have a new leader to lead us in post brexit and destroy Corbyn/Mcdonald before 2022.I would rather we destroy them democratically than let the dark forces of power eliminate them as I believe that is what might happen

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"The majority of people in this country will not vote for a left wing government so an election would be a good bet for the tories. "
nOt till all the brexit hysterior has died down,better to be safe than sorry.

A Corbyn government is a bigger thread to are futures than the worst brexit fears coming true

over a year ago

Can we really trust "people" to vote in complicated matters like general elections?.

over a year ago

"The majority of people in this country will not vote for a left wing government so an election would be a good bet for the tories. nOt till all the brexit hysterior has died down,better to be safe than sorry.

A Corbyn government is a bigger thread to are futures than the worst brexit fears coming true"

It really isn't as we could vote him out in 5 years and to be fair even if he is crap...How well have the Conservatives done?

Anyway if it happens you'll just say "it'll be ok" like you do with Brexit.

By *ara J OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

A Corbyn government is a bigger thread to are futures than the worst brexit fears coming true"

Project Fear.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

How can that be?

Is this another lie by Mrs May?We leave the EU on March 29th and May will be gone soon after.Then we have to have a new leader to lead us in post brexit and destroy Corbyn/Mcdonald before 2022.I would rather we destroy them democratically than let the dark forces of power eliminate them as I believe that is what might happen"

Stop it with the ironic use of the word 'leader', its too funny..

nearly as funny as the dark forces..

By *anes HubbyCouple
over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

How can that be?

Is this another lie by Mrs May?We leave the EU on March 29th and May will be gone soon after.Then we have to have a new leader to lead us in post brexit and destroy Corbyn/Mcdonald before 2022.I would rather we destroy them democratically than let the dark forces of power eliminate them as I believe that is what might happen"

I think you need to get your medication reviewed and updated through your GP, it's clearly not working

By *anes HubbyCouple
over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

"The majority of people in this country will not vote for a left wing government so an election would be a good bet for the tories. "

What like the last election?

Or did you forget what happened then?

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

How can that be?

2) if we were to get a majority... it means she would be able to tell the DUP to "do one""

Her last failed gamble will be playing on her mind though.

There's a big risk that the Scottish Tories will be wiped out having clawed their way back.

Certainly a possibility.

over a year ago

Probably idle speculation of a disorganised mind.

TM the PM has publicly stated she won't be leader at the next general election, to avoid her own party's no confidence vote, calling an early one won't get her out of that statement.

Bottom line is they have been wasting time for 2 years + and have not prepared to leave the EU as it was all gambled on a 2 year extension to get them through the next election, before anything actually happened.

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Although a lot of people are saying we should extend article 50 , I don't believe we can do this ,, we need to ask the EU if we can do this ,, I think they would only agree if we were to hold another referendum or a general election , the conservative government has consistently said they will not hold another referendum , so a general election may be the only way for our Tory government to continue their objective of ,,,, kicking the can down the road ,,,,

By *ara J OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I heard Keir Starmer on the telly saying there simply is not enough time left for the UK to prepare for an exit without an agreement.

There's several pieces of legislation that need to be passed to ensure the laws of the UK make sense on March 30 and none of the systems and rules for life at HMRC after the EU will be in place by then.

It is a failure of government on a monumental scale.

Four years ago, it knew this was a possibility. Two-and-and-half years ago it knew it was a reality.

But instead of planning for an exit, the Government built its strategy on the false promises of the referendum campaign - that you can have your cake and eat it.

No Deal was repeatedly dismissed by the Leave campaign as Project Fear.

When oh when will someone in leadership disown the populist myths of 2016 and level with the public?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"I heard Keir Starmer on the telly saying there simply is not enough time left for the UK to prepare for an exit without an agreement.

There's several pieces of legislation that need to be passed to ensure the laws of the UK make sense on March 30 and none of the systems and rules for life at HMRC after the EU will be in place by then.

Four years ago, it knew this was a possibility. Two-and-and-half years ago it knew it was a reality.

But instead of planning for an exit, the Government built its strategy on the false promises of the referendum campaign - that you can have your cake and eat it.

When oh when will someone in leadership disown the populist myths of 2016 and level with the public?"

No Deal wasn't continually dismissed by the Leave campaign. The very next day after article 50 was triggered people like Nigel Farage were telling the government to prepare for no deal. Theresa May didn't listen and Philip Hammond refused to release the funds at that time to start preparing for it.

over a year ago

"I heard Keir Starmer on the telly saying there simply is not enough time left for the UK to prepare for an exit without an agreement.

When oh when will someone in leadership disown the populist myths of 2016 and level with the public?

No Deal wasn't continually dismissed by the Leave campaign. The very next day after article 50 was triggered people like Nigel Farage were telling the government to prepare for no deal. Theresa May didn't listen and Philip Hammond refused to release the funds at that time to start preparing for it. "

Farage want part of the official campaign. Isn’t that the line which is used when Banks’ finances are under scrutiny ...

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

"Actually....after the 7 years of Tory rule with the austerity that came with it, Labour should have walked into number 10.

I suspect that the reason they didn't was Jeremy Bernard Corbyn."

really after all the shit left behind by Blair and brown. Using money we didn't have.People have soon forgot that. The austerity measures brought in were thanks to labour. they took us into a war we didn't need They left the country in a hole.Good old uncle Tony still wants to be EU president to this day. The EU can have him . And there are still some Labour MPS around who were near the top of the big expenses scandal. yes Labour are that good.... Aren't they .

over a year ago

How can that be?

2) if we were to get a majority... it means she

would be able to tell the DUP to "do one""

did we get our billion quid yet??

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

During today's debate I parliament , may said a general election now would not be in the national interest

Post new Message to Thread