Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Seeds of BrExit

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Was Cameron right to throw this to the public?

Was it a stunt with an ulterior motive?

The impression I had of him through his speeches and attitude, it was a forgone conclusion that the population would vote to remain.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Was Cameron right to throw this to the public?

The impression I had of him through his speeches and attitude, it was a forgone conclusion that the population would vote to remain.

"

Yes, despite being in charge of a party that relies on most people voting against their interest.. He fully expected the electorate to vote in their interest to fend of UKIP and the far right of his party....Didn't go well.

over a year ago

Yes, despite being in charge of a party that relies on most people voting against their interest.. He fully expected the electorate to vote in their interest to fend of UKIP and the far right of his party....Didn't go well."

This is the part wher i don't understand his logic, seeing as he just opened the door for ukip and otber sceptics

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

I think David Cameron was and still is in many ways the epitome of the sheer arrogance of remainers. Thought the referendum would be a cake walk for remain and was so arrogant and confident of winning he didn't even bother to plan for a leave vote. The thought that Leave might win never entered his head. Pompous fool!

The same attitude is still displayed today by remainers calling for a 2nd referendum, who think they can't possibly lose a 2nd vote.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

I think David Cameron was and still is in many ways the epitome of the sheer arrogance of remainers. Thought the referendum would be a cake walk for remain and was so arrogant and confident of winning he didn't even bother to plan for a leave vote. The thought that Leave might win never entered his head. Pompous fool!

The same attitude is still displayed today by remainers calling for a 2nd referendum, who think they can't possibly lose a 2nd vote."

spot in there centy

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

It was about survival of the Tory Party.

UKIP were stealing his vote.

He wanted to stay PM, not let Mr Milliband in.

So he put it in the 2015 manifesto.

I recall a Farage clip in 2015 when he said vote Conservative if your UKIP candidate has no chance.

Brexit was born in the Conservative Party.

They own it.

But no-one can tell you what it is they own, what it is they have done.

This wasn’t what the big cheeses wanted to happen.

But it is what the ret Col Bogey down the local Conservative Club wants.

Or rather what he knows what he does not want.

A total morass.

Made in the Conservative Party.

over a year ago

The same attitude is still displayed today by remainers calling for a 2nd referendum, who think they can't possibly lose a 2nd vote."

What does it say about people voting for something so unplanned

over a year ago

I'd bet the farm that when put to a second vote it will be unanimously remain.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

I think David Cameron was and still is in many ways the epitome of the sheer arrogance of remainers. Thought the referendum would be a cake walk for remain and was so arrogant and confident of winning he didn't even bother to plan for a leave vote. ."

I read that, while he was trying to negotiate a new arrangement between the UK and the EU, he was simultaneously saying how confident he was of winning the referendum.

70/30, apparently.

As a negotiating tactic, totally inept.

Give me concessions or we'll, um, er, vote to stay.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

The same attitude is still displayed today by remainers calling for a 2nd referendum, who think they can't possibly lose a 2nd vote.

"

The electorate didn't know Cameron and Osborne hadn't planned for a leave vote at the time though. The electorate believed during the referendum campaign that government had planned for both outcomes in the referendum.

We expect a Prime minister and a Chancellor (Cameron and Osborne) to plan for all outcomes. Cameron and Osborne, both remainers were guilty of extreme negligence in this regard.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

still fat dave and tory boy george dont seem to be doing that bad nowdays ....

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"I'd bet the farm that when put to a second vote it will be unanimously remain. "

We arent the irish you know and do as we are told,the brits dont like bully boys and I know a fair number of people who say they voted remain who say they would vote leave if given another chance due to the attitude of not only the eu but of remain extremists here

over a year ago

"

I think David Cameron was and still is in many ways the epitome of the sheer arrogance of remainers. Thought the referendum would be a cake walk for remain and was so arrogant and confident of winning he didn't even bother to plan for a leave vote. .

I read that, while he was trying to negotiate a new arrangement between the UK and the EU, he was simultaneously saying how confident he was of winning the referendum.

70/30, apparently.

"

This is what i cant fathom from Cameron, so out of touch with the mood of the population. What a blunder!

over a year ago

The electorate didn't know Cameron and Osborne hadn't planned for a leave vote at the time though. The electorate believed during the referendum campaign that government had planned for both outcomes in the referendum.

We expect a Prime minister and a Chancellor (Cameron and Osborne) to plan for all outcomes. Cameron and Osborne, both remainers were guilty of extreme negligence in this regard. "

Too right. I see instead of staying on and take responsibility, they scuttle away and leave it for someone else to sort out

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"

I think David Cameron was and still is in many ways the epitome of the sheer arrogance of remainers. Thought the referendum would be a cake walk for remain and was so arrogant and confident of winning he didn't even bother to plan for a leave vote. .

70/30, apparently.

This is what i cant fathom from Cameron, so out of touch with the mood of the population. What a blunder! "

What politicians arent,but to be fair if you only live in a small circle you get to believe everyone thinks your way, that applies to both sides of the spectrum

over a year ago

"I'd bet the farm that when put to a second vote it will be unanimously remain.

We arent the irish you know and do as we are told,the brits dont like bully boys and I know a fair number of people who say they voted remain who say they would vote leave if given another chance due to the attitude of not only the eu but of remain extremists here"

Put democracy to the test so

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

..there should be absolutely no 2nd vote . its time the dummies went back in

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

"I'd bet the farm that when put to a second vote it will be unanimously remain.

We arent the irish you know and do as we are told,the brits dont like bully boys and I know a fair number of people who say they voted remain who say they would vote leave if given another chance due to the attitude of not only the eu but of remain extremists here"

the Irish are worried about themselves when we go . they know they have to go to the EU for money at some point .good luck with that.see which side your breads buttered on then

over a year ago

We expect a Prime minister and a Chancellor (Cameron and Osborne) to plan for all outcomes. Cameron and Osborne, both remainers were guilty of extreme negligence in this regard. "

If anyone believed that government was planning to leave they were deluded. Government's public stance was that it wasn't planning to leave. All of us working in the city knew no plans were being made.

That's not just a failure on Cameron's part though. My company didn't begin planning how to manage the fall out until 14 months after the referendum. We're now in the process of moving staff but the first aren't due to leave the country until later this month!

It's all such a massive change I don't think anyone really understands the full implications even now.

over a year ago

Well there's one way to find out isn't there?

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"

70/30, apparently.

This is what i cant fathom from Cameron, so out of touch with the mood of the population. What a blunder! "

Tony Blair talked about a referendum and made certain promises in 2004 and 2005.

The EU referendum isn't a new thing!

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Tony Blair talked about a referendum and made certain promises in 2004 and 2005.

The EU referendum isn't a new thing!"

Many politicians have talked about referendums for many things over many years but they have always used the threat of referendums to control the swivel eyed loons rather than pander to them. Because up to the pig fucker our political leaders for the past 70 or 90 odd years (depending on how you define the country) were more interested in keeping the country united than in staying in power.

Funnily enough the last shit who was willing to divide a part of the country/empire to remain in power was also a Tory.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Tony Blair talked about a referendum and made certain promises in 2004 and 2005.

The EU referendum isn't a new thing!

Many politicians have talked about referendums for many things over many years but they have always used the threat of referendums to control the swivel eyed loons rather than pander to them. Because up to the pig fucker our political leaders for the past 70 or 90 odd years (depending on how you define the country) were more interested in keeping the country united than in staying in power.

Funnily enough the last shit who was willing to divide a part of the country/empire to remain in power was also a Tory."

We've had a few referendums in the UK in recent times though. The Alternative Vote (AV) referendum, the Scots independence referendum, and the Welsh devolution referendum. The results of those referendums were respected and the losers of those referendums accepted defeat with good grace and dignity, unlike the childish, sore losers of the EU referendum who continue to throw their toys out of their prams to this day.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"We've had a few referendums in the UK in recent times though. The Alternative Vote (AV) referendum, the Scots independence referendum, and the Welsh devolution referendum. The results of those referendums were respected and the losers of those referendums accepted defeat with good grace and dignity, unlike the childish, sore losers of the EU referendum who continue to throw their toys out of their prams to this day. "

Interesting that you do not think that each of the referendums you mentioned did not divide the country. I'm pretty sure you are one of those who keep demanding that there is an English assembly and that the Scots and Welsh should have their rights to vote in Parliament restricted because they have their own assemblies with extra powers (part of the bribe to get them to vote to remain in the UK).

Single issue plebiscites, where they are not part of the day to day administrative apparatus of government divide people and nations (irreconcilably on contentious issues).

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

He promised to and then did hold the vote, not for any great desire to understand and give the people what they wanted, but only as a means of keeping the conservative party in power. He was desperate to pull voters from UKIP and did so.

I think he did expect remain to win. But the referendum was just a smokescreen, their lust for power was the driver. May has followed suit, triggering an early election, seeking to extend their power. A government not in the job for the people but themselves and their like.

Post new Message to Thread