Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

EFTA the solution which will work

Jump to newest

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Forget the dead horse deal that May has tossed under everyone’s noses.

This is the Deal below which will satisfy everyone.

The EFTA or Norway Plus.

Britain Used to be part of this trading bloc ( a founding member actually) a rival bloc to the EEA, then we switched.

This bloc allows us to

1 Keep Britain whole

2 Allow us to make our own free trade deals

3 Gives us greater controls of our borders with breaks on migration

4 Control of our agriculture and fisheries policy

We may have left the EU but we can be part of the EFTA.

This country is tearing itself apart, time to unite!

Fuck May’s Half assed Deal.

The EFTA is going to heal us.

Her deal will fail, EFTA will be the shape of our brexit!

Win Win Win Win Win.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

The Ukraine style deal is the one I always thought Britain should aim for. But the Tories are so under-informed that they never even broached it. This is the problem with voting in mp's who appeal to your feelings rather than knowledgeable people that will get thongs done.

The Ukraine deal works on a basis of a sliding scale, the more integrated you are, the more access you have to the single market. Its perfect for the UK because they remain in control but they can choose to be close to what the EU decides which generally benefits the people.

By *heislanderMan
over a year ago

cheshunt

"The Ukraine style deal is the one I always thought Britain should aim for. But the Tories are so under-informed that they never even broached it. This is the problem with voting in mp's who appeal to your feelings rather than knowledgeable people that will get thongs done.

The Ukraine deal works on a basis of a sliding scale, the more integrated you are, the more access you have to the single market. Its perfect for the UK because they remain in control but they can choose to be close to what the EU decides which generally benefits the people. "

Unfortunately “knowledgeable mp’s that will get things done” are a bit like hen’s teeth

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

EFTA/EAA and article 112 is a damm good starting point. The North family on EU referendum pointed this out many years ago.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

EFTA worse deal than EU membership and keeps all of the "lack of sovereignty" and free movement that is apparently so terrible.

Ukraine just has a trade deal no?

over a year ago

Does Ukraine solve for Ireland ? I’m ignorant in the details in this one ...

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

"Does Ukraine solve for Ireland ? I’m ignorant in the details in this one ..."

I just saw the trailer to the film ‘Mortal Engines’ and his just reminded me of the line ‘London is coming!’

-Matt

over a year ago

Norway is basically an oil company with 5 million staff. So being out of the EU is an entirely different proposition for them.

Ukraine would chop off their left one in a nanosecond for even half a chance at joining the EU.

It’s ludicrous to suggest that any of these style deals would work for the uk.

We all know Mays deal is a big bag of steaming camel shit. And any form of being out of the EU will be worse than being in the EU. But it’s probably the best we’re going to get at this stage.

over a year ago

"Forget the dead horse deal that May has tossed under everyone’s noses.

The EFTA or Norway Plus.

Britain Used to be part of this trading bloc ( a founding member actually) a rival bloc to the EEA, then we switched.

This bloc allows us to

1 Keep Britain whole

Win Win Win Win Win.

"

We would still have to accept Freedom of Movement though if we joined the EEA through EFTA so we'd need to only join up with EFTA & keep out of the EEA to avoid FOM.

EFTA's combined population is around 24% of the UK's so for market share & future negotiations it would set EFTA in a better situation going forwards if we did join.

Joining EFTA would definitely be better than being with no fucker I guess.

over a year ago

We would still have to accept Freedom of Movement though if we joined the EEA through EFTA so we'd need to only join up with EFTA & keep out of the EEA to avoid FOM.

Not if Article 112 is invoked on our initial application. Re Switzerland and Lichtenstein.

See the EU referendum website for clarification.

over a year ago

All this talk of a new deal is wishful thinking.

May played the game better than the extremists.Shes been running the clock down since august.There are 3 choices now and the public will be given the vote if mays plan isn't backed by parliament.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

The EFTA or Norway Plus.

This bloc allows us to

1 Keep Britain whole

Win Win Win Win Win.

"

Agree 100%,we should have stayed in EFTA and never joined EU

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

How about we just stay in the EU, it is by far the best option on the table and made Britain both wealthier and a much better place to live. The past 2 years have been rubbish and prove how crap we can be when we do things on our own.

over a year ago

"How about we just stay in the EU, it is by far the best option on the table and made Britain both wealthier and a much better place to live. The past 2 years have been rubbish and prove how crap we can be when we do things on our own."

I second that motion

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

"How about we just stay in the EU, it is by far the best option on the table and made Britain both wealthier and a much better place to live. The past 2 years have been rubbish and prove how crap we can be when we do things on our own.

I second that motion "

Simples, sorted! Next big question

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"How about we just stay in the EU, it is by far the best option on the table and made Britain both wealthier and a much better place to live. The past 2 years have been rubbish and prove how crap we can be when we do things on our own."

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"How about we just stay in the EU, it is by far the best option on the table and made Britain both wealthier and a much better place to live. The past 2 years have been rubbish and prove how crap we can be when we do things on our own. "

We have to respect that many people in our country voted to leave the the EU.

Time to put our differences aside and accept A pragmatic approach to the situation.

It’s about satisfying the majority as opposed to the minority only.

This EFTA is the better view for the long term prosperity of the UK.

Staying just means we are bound. Leaving 100% is just uncertainty.

The best leaders would have chosen a deal which gave us the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately May is not the best leader or prime minister we have had. So accepting the hatchet job she proposes should be a no nay never.

Time for the EFTA route out of the FUD of our current situation.

over a year ago

"How about we just stay in the EU, it is by far the best option on the table and made Britain both wealthier and a much better place to live. The past 2 years have been rubbish and prove how crap we can be when we do things on our own.

I second that motion "

The best option by far...

over a year ago

"

"

I disagree. Why do we have to respect this when it’s clearly the wrong choice by every possible measure?

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

The EFTA or Norway Plus.

This bloc allows us to

1 Keep Britain whole

Win Win Win Win Win.

"

Maybe disbanding the union is the best option Scotland wanted to stay in the EU as did Northern Ireland so if they split off from England and Wales then everyone is happy

over a year ago

The EFTA or Norway Plus.

This bloc allows us to

1 Keep Britain whole

Win Win Win Win Win.

Maybe disbanding the union is the best option Scotland wanted to stay in the EU as did Northern Ireland so if they split off from England and Wales then everyone is happy "

The break of the UK is a forgone conclusion to brexit.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"

I disagree. Why do we have to respect this when it’s clearly the wrong choice by every possible measure?

"

Put yourself in the position of a person who wanted to leave?

Empathy, its something we lost during this situation.

We got to realise that a solution to satisfy all will be better than a solution which divides us ( such as may’s shit deal)

EFTA is the best option for peace and prosperity in the UK, a middle ground.

The extreme sides of this will complain, but the middle is where all citizens reside, and that is the national interest.

Sure its not going to make the minority on the fringes happy, but isnt making the majority happy the biggest deal?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"

We got to realise that a solution to satisfy all will be better than a solution which divides us ( such as may’s shit deal)

The extreme sides of this will complain, but the middle is where all citizens reside, and that is the national interest.

Sure its not going to make the minority on the fringes happy, but isnt making the majority happy the biggest deal?"

As a second best option I could live with EFTA provided the restrictions on MY freedom of movement were not too severe. However I won't support or advocate for it as it's still second best for very similar reasons to May's deal.

over a year ago

How does Northern Ireland figure with EFTA ?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"How does Northern Ireland figure with EFTA ?"

If we're in a comprehensive customs union with the EU most of the border problems in Ireland disappear. Unfortunately EFTA is a Free Trade Area, not a customs union. Membership of EFTA would include us being in the Single Market and would definitely mitigate the border in Ireland problem but it wouldn't solve it. That's why people are talking about EFTA+. And the + bit is joining the customs Union and possibly, but not necessarily, joining the CAP and CAF too. It would be like staying in May's transition/implementation period forever. It also has the same fundamental problem as May's deal in that we would have to obey most EU rules, including ECJ, but have absolutely no say in the making of them. Such a deal would be basically the same as we are now (so I like that bit) but with less control than we have now (so I don't like that bit). I can't see BREXITERS liking any part of it at all.

The only merit it has over remaining is that legally it is actually leaving the EU, which was the actual choice on the ballot paper, but in name only.

over a year ago

"

Sure its not going to make the minority on the fringes happy, but isnt making the majority happy the biggest deal?"

Isn’t FoM part of it tho. That seemed to be a key issue for many people. Dare I say THE issue (if we ignore a protest vote against Etin boys who haven’t been on hignfy)

over a year ago

"How does Northern Ireland figure with EFTA ?

If we're in a comprehensive customs union with the EU most of the border problems in Ireland disappear. Unfortunately EFTA is a Free Trade Area, not a customs union. Membership of EFTA would include us being in the Single Market and would definitely mitigate the border in Ireland problem but it wouldn't solve it. That's why people are talking about EFTA+. And the + bit is joining the customs Union and possibly, but not necessarily, joining the CAP and CAF too. It would be like staying in May's transition/implementation period forever. It also has the same fundamental problem as May's deal in that we would have to obey most EU rules, including ECJ, but have absolutely no say in the making of them. Such a deal would be basically the same as we are now (so I like that bit) but with less control than we have now (so I don't like that bit). I can't see BREXITERS liking any part of it at all.

The only merit it has over remaining is that legally it is actually leaving the EU, which was the actual choice on the ballot paper, but in name only.

"

I think you're getting EFTA & the EEA mixed up mate.

EFTA has nothing to do with the Single Market where as joining the EEA does, hence the 4 Freedom's then come into play.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Last two years have made no difference to anything the country is fine considering what is going on,and sanyway we are leaving end of.maybe not next March but we will leave

over a year ago

"

I disagree about the EFTA deal you’re proposing working for the majority. No remainers will like this as we still lose so much of what we have now, lose our freedom to unlimited Euro travel and work, we would be worse off financially, and we won’t retain any of the Eu protections.

Brexiteers won’t like it because of a lof of buzzwords etc.

over a year ago

"

Sure its not going to make the minority on the fringes happy, but isnt making the majority happy the biggest deal?

I disagree about the EFTA deal you’re proposing working for the majority. No remainers will like this as we still lose so much of what we have now, lose our freedom to unlimited Euro travel and work, we would be worse off financially, and we won’t retain any of the Eu protections.

Brexiteers won’t like it because of a lof of buzzwords etc. "

I think all BREXIT voters would jump at EFTA membership but I still don't see a Northern Ireland solution in it.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"How does Northern Ireland figure with EFTA ?

I think you're getting EFTA & the EEA mixed up mate.

EFTA has nothing to do with the Single Market where as joining the EEA does, hence the 4 Freedom's then come into play."

I don't think I am but it does all get a little complicated. EEA (European Economic Area) is basically EFTA (European Free Trade Area) and the EU (European Union) but not Switzerland. All the EFTA countries have their arrangements with the EU through the EEA, except Switzerland. Switzerland has its arrangements with the EU via numerous bilateral agreements that mostly mirror the the EU-EFTA agreements.

In effect the single market is 4 common markets (sounds a bit of an oxymoron but stick with me)

EFTA is a free trade area with a common market consisting of Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Lichtenstein.

The EU is a customs union and common market of 28 countries (I'm not going to list them all)

The EEA is a free trade area that includes a common market containing the EU and EFTA except Switzerland.

There is also an unmanned common market between the EU and Switzerland.

A common market (not to be confused with A Common Market or The Common Market) does not necessarily include a customs union and a customs union does require a common market (think Turkey).

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"How about we just stay in the EU, it is by far the best option on the table and made Britain both wealthier and a much better place to live. The past 2 years have been rubbish and prove how crap we can be when we do things on our own.Last two years have made no difference to anything the country is fine considering what is going on,and sanyway we are leaving end of.maybe not next March but we will leave"

I wouldn't put money on that either way. Not least because still nobody agrees on what leaving actually is. EFTA, EEA or May's deal are all legally leaving the EU but they're all not really leaving according to many BREXITERS. So even if we do leave we may not actually leave according to some.

over a year ago

Yeah been a EFTA member will just be a trading bloc of just 4 states plus us if we were to join, making it a bloc of 5 which has very few rules & has some free trade deals with other countries.

To have access to the EU single Market we'd then need to join the EEA where the 4 Freedom's become part and parcel of being a EEA member.

Or we could attempt to negotiate a Free trade deal with the EU as just a EFTA member, but doing this still leaves the question of NI unsolved.

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

"

The swivel eyed loons won't accept EFTA.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"How does Northern Ireland figure with EFTA ?"

The border question is workable under efta than mays deal, the Irish have indicted they would be happy with this arrangement. Arlene foster of the DUP said this was a better deal and they would vote for it

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Was looking at the economic forcasts it seems that efta Deal is the least damaging economically,

With the freedoms we can do brakes on freedom of movement like Lichtenstein. So it possible to negotiate movement under it which should satisfy many people who were concerned with Eu movement.

It’s a better deal because there precendents and case point

over a year ago

"Was looking at the economic forcasts it seems that efta Deal is the least damaging economically,

With the freedoms we can do brakes on freedom of movement like Lichtenstein. So it possible to negotiate movement under it which should satisfy many people who were concerned with Eu movement.

It’s a better deal because there precendents and case point "

I don't see the UK being able to be granted an opt out on Freedom of Movement like Lichtenstein though, they only got it because of their tiny size & argued mass influx would destabilise their county.

So joining the EEA after joining EFTA is a none starter.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Was looking at the economic forcasts it seems that efta Deal is the least damaging economically,

It’s a better deal because there precendents and case point

I don't see the UK being able to be granted an opt out on Freedom of Movement like Lichtenstein though, they only got it because of their tiny size & argued mass influx would destabilise their county.

So joining the EEA after joining EFTA is a none starter."

I would suspect it would efta 1st

Post new Message to Thread