Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

How to argue

Jump to newest

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

I've definitely seen this method of "debate" on here.

From the Daily Mash;

DO you find yourself losing arguments due to being wrong or thick? Just follow our guide and pretend you’ve emerged victorious.

Intimidate your opponent by becoming ridiculously angry during arguments that do not merit it, eg. “You’re talking shit, mate! Total fucking shit! There were four series of Blackadder, not three!”

Work on the basis that your ill-informed opinions are facts. For example, “All doctors steal drugs from work. Everyone knows that.”

Dismiss someone’s entire argument by saying “That’s fine, but some of us live in the real world”, as if your job as a plumber, sales manager or PE teacher gives you an insight into the gritty underbelly of life like The Wire.

Completely mangle what your opponent has said. If they say some of Corbyn’s policies make sense, simply reply, “I suppose you want to live under communism then, where everyone earns the same and there’s no point inventing things.”

Refer to ‘my kids’. For example, “We should ban cars because I don’t want my kids struggling to breathe with asthma.” This implies your opponent wants to harm your children, and no one wants to look like a creepy evil bastard.

If you lose an argument in the pub, keep starting new ones until you ‘get even’. Relentlessly hammer away until your opponent is wrong about something, even if it takes hours and ruins everyone’s evening.

If all else fails, twat them.

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"I've definitely seen this method of "debate" on here.

From the Daily Mash;

DO you find yourself losing arguments due to being wrong or thick? Just follow our guide and pretend you’ve emerged victorious.

Intimidate your opponent by becoming ridiculously angry during arguments that do not merit it, eg. “You’re talking shit, mate! Total fucking shit! There were four series of Blackadder, not three!”

Work on the basis that your ill-informed opinions are facts. For example, “All doctors steal drugs from work. Everyone knows that.”

Dismiss someone’s entire argument by saying “That’s fine, but some of us live in the real world”, as if your job as a plumber, sales manager or PE teacher gives you an insight into the gritty underbelly of life like The Wire.

Completely mangle what your opponent has said. If they say some of Corbyn’s policies make sense, simply reply, “I suppose you want to live under communism then, where everyone earns the same and there’s no point inventing things.”

Refer to ‘my kids’. For example, “We should ban cars because I don’t want my kids struggling to breathe with asthma.” This implies your opponent wants to harm your children, and no one wants to look like a creepy evil bastard.

If you lose an argument in the pub, keep starting new ones until you ‘get even’. Relentlessly hammer away until your opponent is wrong about something, even if it takes hours and ruins everyone’s evening.

If all else fails, twat them."

So says the voice of experience

Reply privately

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

From the Daily Mash;

If all else fails, twat them..

So says the voice of experience "

Yep. Seen it a lot.

Reply privately

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

From the Daily Mash;

You missed out your favourite method of debate:

I'm superior to you so I must be right!

Reply privately

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

From the Daily Mash;

I'm superior to you so I must be right! "

Or the "I'm degree educated, so I'm right" version?

Reply privately

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

From the Daily Mash;

Or the "I'm degree educated, so I'm right" version?"

Oh yes we must not forget the degrees!

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Use one or two incidents as proof of something is systematically true.

Suggest because you hold a common view about something with someone you must hold all their views (eg leavers are racists because someo ta isn’t voted leave).

Using the majority as proof you are right.

Reply privately

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

Already proving to be quite a handy reference guide for the other threads

Reply privately

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Already proving to be quite a handy reference guide for the other threads "

I was only having a Josh with you.

Reply privately

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

"Already proving to be quite a handy reference guide for the other threads .

I was only having a Josh with you. "

I wasn't talking about you.

The irony is those who argue in this way are not self-aware enough to realise

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

From the Daily Mash;

Or the "I'm degree educated, so I'm right" version?

Oh yes we must not forget the degrees! "

Yep, all three of 'em.

"When will I see you again" de-do-be-do-be-dooby-doo.

Reply privately

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

From the Daily Mash;

Following my example then,I get a grade A in this test,well nearly I never twat anybody I just laugh

Reply privately

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

A Day in the Life of a Gammon

Also from the Daily Mash

It is funny. Don't take it too, seriously unless you feel you have to

"HAVE you ever wondered what it’s like being a permanently furious middle-aged white man? Here gammon Roy Hobbs describes a typical day.

8.30am. Read the Daily Express over breakfast. Apparently the EU wants to ban Christmas presents! I haven’t even finished my eggy soldiers and I’m already furious.

9.30am. Arrive at my office in Chichester. Lucy asks if I want a cup of tea. The way women are these days I’m lucky she didn’t sue me for sexual harassment just for saying ‘hello’.

11.30am. Go outside for a fag. Get really angry when I imagine in detail Chichester becoming a multicultural hellhole with a mosque and a scooter gang on every corner.

1pm. Lunch. Have a bacon sandwich before they’re banned to avoid offending The People We’re Not Allowed To Talk About. Vein in my neck really pulsating now.

2.30pm. Get the biscuits out and spend the afternoon on BBC comments under my username ‘SodOffGordonBroon’. Put a few millennial snowflakes to rights about how easy they’ve got it these days.

7pm. Dinner with the wife in my house that’s quadrupled in value due to buying at the right time. Remember how oppressed I am as a middle-aged white man and am forced to have a large glass of Merlot to calm down.

10pm. Go to BBC Question Time in Chichester. Whenever the one Remainer panellist says anything I shout ‘RUBBISH! BLOODY RUBBISH!’. It’s about time these quisling traitor bastards were made to listen to reason.

12.30am. Finally get to bed. No idea why, but I feel too angry to sleep for some reason."

Reply privately

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"A Day in the Life of a Gammon

Also from the Daily Mash

"HAVE you ever wondered what it’s like being a permanently furious middle-aged white man? Here gammon Roy Hobbs describes a typical day.

8.30am. Read the Daily Express over breakfast. Apparently the EU wants to ban Christmas presents! I haven’t even finished my eggy soldiers and I’m already furious.

9.30am. Arrive at my office in Chichester. Lucy asks if I want a cup of tea. The way women are these days I’m lucky she didn’t sue me for sexual harassment just for saying ‘hello’.

11.30am. Go outside for a fag. Get really angry when I imagine in detail Chichester becoming a multicultural hellhole with a mosque and a scooter gang on every corner.

1pm. Lunch. Have a bacon sandwich before they’re banned to avoid offending The People We’re Not Allowed To Talk About. Vein in my neck really pulsating now.

2.30pm. Get the biscuits out and spend the afternoon on BBC comments under my username ‘SodOffGordonBroon’. Put a few millennial snowflakes to rights about how easy they’ve got it these days.

7pm. Dinner with the wife in my house that’s quadrupled in value due to buying at the right time. Remember how oppressed I am as a middle-aged white man and am forced to have a large glass of Merlot to calm down.

10pm. Go to BBC Question Time in Chichester. Whenever the one Remainer panellist says anything I shout ‘RUBBISH! BLOODY RUBBISH!’. It’s about time these quisling traitor bastards were made to listen to reason.

12.30am. Finally get to bed. No idea why, but I feel too angry to sleep for some reason.""

It's about as funny as you are!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Also from the Daily Mash

12.30am. Finally get to bed. No idea why, but I feel too angry to sleep for some reason."

It's about as funny as you are! "

Pretty funny then!

Reply privately

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

Also from the Daily Mash

It's about as funny as you are!

Pretty funny then!"

He did a thread about the world cup that was pretty funny, it was funny that it had nothing to do with football!

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Of course OP you have missed out one hard right tactic.

Continually make thinly veiled racist and homophobic attacks masquerading as personal attacks on those on the left who vulnerable to such attacks and then run to admin complaining and demanding that people be banned when there is an angry backlash.

I have to say this tactic is particularly effective because it eventually silences opposition completely. And there is always the defence of you know the rules, you should play by them (which is of course true).

Reply privately

over a year ago

From the Daily Mash;

These don’t look like “tactics” with which to win an argument. In any public forum people from both the left and right say these things as mere observations.

For example, calling someone a snowflake doesn’t win anything. It simply lets the person to whom you are answering know you think that he/she is a snowflake.

Twatting em might do it, but unfortunately that is difficult to get away with...

Reply privately

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

From the Daily Mash;

These don’t look like “tactics” with which to win an argument. In any public forum people from both the left and right say these things as mere observations.

For example, calling someone a snowflake doesn’t win anything. It simply lets the person to whom you are answering know you think that he/she is a snowflake.

Twatting em might do it, but unfortunately that is difficult to get away with..."

You do know that this is satire don't you?

Reply privately

over a year ago

A new Labour supporter anti brexit voice by chance, awaits for incoming!!

Reply privately

By *ammskiMan
over a year ago

lytham st.annes

You do know you’re as funny as cold dog shit !!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You do know you’re as funny as cold dog shit !!!"

Lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

From the Daily Mash;

Twatting em might do it, but unfortunately that is difficult to get away with...

You do know that this is satire don't you?"

Well yes, hence the bit about twatting them. Lol

Reply privately

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

Just out of interest; does anybody not recognise any of this behaviour?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Just out of interest; does anybody not recognise any of this behaviour?"

What behaviour?

If you mean calling someone a "racist" or "neo Nazi", then yes, it happens far too often on here.

Reply privately

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Haha spot on you only have to say you voted leave and the loonies are calling you a racist it’s banded about that much on here it’s loseing it’s true meaning

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Haha spot on you only have to say you voted leave and the loonies are calling you a racist it’s banded about that much on here it’s loseing it’s true meaning "

I think that is true pretty much everywhere these days, not just on here.

Racist, Nazi, Fascist, Etc. are chucked around so often that many people become immune from listening to it.

One day when the real racist nazi fascists turn up no-one will notice, until it's too late.

Boy who cried Wolf anyone?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Something needs to change - just because we have always had 2 main parties doesn't mean it's right!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Something needs to change - just because we have always had 2 main parties doesn't mean it's right!"

The electorate have already voted for change.

The electorate voted to leave the EU.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Something needs to change - just because we have always had 2 main parties doesn't mean it's right!

The electorate voted to leave the EU."

Yes they have and as the saying goes "you reap what you sow"!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Something needs to change - just because we have always had 2 main parties doesn't mean it's right!

Yes they have and as the saying goes "you reap what you sow"!"

You're the one who said something needs to change!

Reply privately

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Yes they have and as the saying goes "you reap what you sow"!"

ahhh you mean something needs to change aslong as you agree with it get you now lol

Reply privately

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

I was going to put a range of Daily Mash on here but it's far more fun seeing people so annoyed by something that shouldn't even bother them if they didn't take themselves so seriously

We did it for the moaning reactionary gits say D-Day veterans:

BRITISH soldiers stormed the beaches of Normandy for people who like to have a good moan about teenagers and modern life in general, they have confirmed.

On the anniversary of the landings, those who took part said it was all to help today’s miserable sods criticise young people and pretend everything was better in the past.

Former soldier Tom Booker said: “As machine guns raked the beach I prayed future generations would invent a weird nostalgia industry where the war was a ripping adventure and everyone was cheerful thanks to Vera Lynn.

“I was also keen that people like Boris Johnson would use WW2 to whip up idiotic jingoism against the EU. Defeating the Nazis was just a bonus.”

Spitfire pilot Roy Hobbs, 93, said: “I was fighting for a world in which stupid idiots would be free to pretend the 1940s were great even though they were born in 1952.

“I was almost killed by a Messerschmitt but it was worth it if it helps Telegraph readers imagine every single human under 45 is a drippy PC-obsessed imbecile who wears adult nappies.”

Housewife Emma Bradford, 56, said: “Young people today are useless because they’ve never garrotted an SS guard. I haven’t either, but that’s different.”

Reply privately