Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

The forthcoming no deal technical notices

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The first lot of government technical notices in regards to the no deal brexit scenario are due out on Thursday...

And I am guessing a lot of people on one side are going to scream project fear...

So I ask am interested to ask a question

Do you want to know what preparations are going on in the background since you fundamentally don’t believe anything bad will come of the decision to leave....

Do you think the public should be informed... or is ignorance on this occasion truely bliss?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

We're only several months behind the EU.

They've been issuing guidance to the EU27 on all the different provisions that will no longer apply to the UK after March 29, and what steps these countries need to take to remain compliant with EU requirements.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"T

So I ask am interested to ask a question

Do you want to know what preparations are going on in the background since you fundamentally don’t believe anything bad will come of the decision to leave....

Do you think the public should be informed... or is ignorance on this occasion truely bliss? "

Surely this won't come as a surprise to any of the 52 per cent? I mean, surely they knew what they were voting to leave when they voted to leave the EU?

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I am guessing since they said it was project fear when the Eu started publishing their technical notices.... I wonder if the same thing will happen when “our side” start doing the same thing? Which is partly why I am asking the question.....

If they really believe don’t believe the notices then should the government be publishing them, let alone making preparations for something they fundamentally don’t believe will happen....

I just thought it would be an interesting conundrum

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

What does leaving the EU look like?

That is what these notices should tell us.

Of course, plenty on the leave side who want the future to look very different from that.

But that's not what the referendum asked.

Only did you want to leave.

So here it is.

In the absence of an alternative, I suspect it will make for grim reading, even with a bit of spin from the pro-Brexit hands in central government.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Because brexiters don't like our government, you know, the ones they want to have more power!

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I don’t want to turn this into a leaver bashing thread... it was more then question of if they don’t believe what both the Eu and the UK government tell them in the no deal brexit notes, then what’s the point of even preparing for something they don’t believe will happen or will be necessary....

This is where I do feel sorry for civil servants in that leavers are going to bash them for making preparations and remainers are going to bash them if they don’t!!!

Which is why I am asking if they believe that the preparation notes should be published at all... because the likes of mogg are battling to say they should not be

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Fabio you no that’s exactly what it does turn into that’s why you posted it nothing changes on here

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

So do you believe that we should even be preparing?

Basically if everyone is making preparations at what point does project fear stop being project fear?

I am interested to see how different the technical notices are... because if there isn’t much difference between what the government says and what the Eu have said... then isn’t whatever points are made in effect reinforced?

That’s why I am asking is it a pointless exercise to release the technical notes if half the population are never going to believe a single word written

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Yes I do why wouldn’t I want the country to be prepared you just said half the country won’t believe we’re do you get that shit from ? and what difference does it make if they don’t believe it NONE

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"So do you believe that we should even be preparing?

Basically if everyone is making preparations at what point does project fear stop being project fear?

I am interested to see how different the technical notices are... because if there isn’t much difference between what the government says and what the Eu have said... then isn’t whatever points are made in effect reinforced?

That’s why I am asking is it a pointless exercise to release the technical notes if half the population are never going to believe a single word written "

Why not wait until the technical notices come out on Thursday so see what they actually say. Instead of speculation and guessing, I'm not going to comment on them until I've seen them.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

The ideal time to have published these would've been june 2016.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Why not wait until the technical notices come out on Thursday so see what they actually say. Instead of speculation and guessing, I'm not going to comment on them until I've seen them. "

Okay.... let me ask you this... have you read any of the eu27 technical notices as to what they are telling their citizens so far?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

Why not wait until the technical notices come out on Thursday so see what they actually say. Instead of speculation and guessing, I'm not going to comment on them until I've seen them.

Okay.... let me ask you this... have you read any of the eu27 technical notices as to what they are telling their citizens so far?

"

We're not in the EU27 Fabio, we're in the UK.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"So do you believe that we should even be preparing?

That’s why I am asking is it a pointless exercise to release the technical notes if half the population are never going to believe a single word written

Why not wait until the technical notices come out on Thursday so see what they actually say. Instead of speculation and guessing, I'm not going to comment on them until I've seen them. "

Actually the ERG are going to issue "alternative " notices. Sure they will be the truth - but to quote Trumps lawyer "truth isn't truth". So basically we are all fucked!

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

We're not in the EU27 Fabio, we're in the UK. "

Lolol now that really is head in the sand stuff.

These notices advise countries what legal provisions will no longer apply to the UK from March 29, and what those countries need to change or cease in order to ensure the UK is treated as a "third country" instead of a member.

It is what you voted for ffs.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

When I say UK, I also mean its citizens. It explains how UK citizens should be treated as being from a "third country" in the EU27 states from March 29.

All rather important, don't you think.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

So, for example, I go to the EU27 countries maybe four times a year.

I rely on the European health insurance provision by virtue of being a EU citizen.

That no longer applies to me from March 29 - from then, I need to buy health insurance when I travel.

Thanks, leave voters.

over a year ago

"So, for example, I go to the EU27 countries maybe four times a year.

I rely on the European health insurance provision by virtue of being a EU citizen.

That no longer applies to me from March 29 - from then, I need to buy health insurance when I travel.

Thanks, leave voters.

"

Just as a matter of interest, are you saying when you travel abroad you do not buy insurance.

I do and always have done,and this goes back to my first holiday abroad as an adult in 1979.

Seems silly not to really

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I do not buy insurance to travel in Europe, no.

I carry the European Health Insurance Card issued by the UK Government.

This entitles me to the same care by the state as a citizen of the country I am.

Obviously that does not include an air ambulance back to UK nor repatriation of my body. But it feels good enough for me.

If I am in Madeira and had, say, a serious head injury, it would get me what a citizen of Portugal gets - evacuation to the Portugese centre for head injuries.

over a year ago

"I do not buy insurance to travel in Europe, no.

This entitles me to the same care by the state as a citizen of the country I am.

Obviously that does not include an air ambulance back to UK nor repatriation of my body. But it feels good enough for me.

If I am in Madeira and had, say, a serious head injury, it would get me what a citizen of Portugal gets - evacuation to the Portugese centre for head injuries."

Great if that is what works for you.

Personally I like to be covered for most eventualities so an extra £20 or so for insurance is ok for peace of mind.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

If I am in Madeira and had, say, a serious head injury, it would get me what a citizen of Portugal gets - evacuation to the Portugese centre for head injuries.

Personally I like to be covered for most eventualities so an extra £20 or so for insurance is ok for peace of mind.

"

Same I've always taken out my own health insurance on holiday too, for around £15 or £20 quid it gives you much better, more comprehensive cover than relying on an EU health card. If I remember correctly there have been many reported instances in the past where the EU health card scheme has been opened up to fraud, which has cost the uk NHS billions over the years. We may be better off as a nation without it when we leave the EU.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Well, fingers crossed, I have never had to find out if it works lol.

I think the host state is entitled to recover their cost from the visitor state.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Same I've always taken out my own health insurance on holiday too, for around £15 or £20 quid it gives you much better, more comprehensive cover than relying on an EU health card. If I remember correctly there have been many reported instances in the past where the EU health card scheme has been opened up to fraud, which has cost the uk NHS billions over the years. We may be better off as a nation without it when we leave the EU. "

It is equivalent here to taking your chances with the NHS or going private.

In a crisis, NHS is best in the world. Routine stuff, not so.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"We're not in the EU27 Fabio, we're in the UK. "

So that's a no then.

over a year ago

The EU may just suffer more than us but nobody ever mentions that

I'm sure the UK with all its advisors entrapaneurs politicians etc etc etc ate not prepared to be bullied which is all te EU have done since we voted brexit

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"Well, fingers crossed, I have never had to find out if it works lol.

I think the host state is entitled to recover their cost from the visitor state."

I’m sure the eu health card was top of everyone’s list when they voted lol

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"The EU may just suffer more than us but nobody ever mentions that

I'm sure the UK with all its advisors entrapaneurs politicians etc etc etc ate not prepared to be bullied which is all te EU have done since we voted brexit"

Why is that a good thing?

over a year ago

"

Tbh if I'm going to Spain or the Netherlands for work purposes I don't currently bother, these are usually 4 days trips where I'm in the same 3miles squared.

If I go on holiday though, for recreation I do. But I would regardless given that I always end up rock climbing or scuba diving

over a year ago

Tbh if I'm going to Spain or the Netherlands for work purposes I don't currently bother, these are usually 4 days trips where I'm in the same 3miles squared.

If I go on holiday though, for recreation I do. But I would regardless given that I always end up rock climbing or scuba diving "

Work should have business insurance for you right? But to other posters, I get travel insurance for cancellations or lost luggage etc. It can cover health but there is an excess that is pretty high. What do you pay if you have an accident?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"The EU may just suffer more than us but nobody ever mentions that

I'm sure the UK with all its advisors entrapaneurs politicians etc etc etc ate not prepared to be bullied which is all te EU have done since we voted brexit"

How is the EU bullying the UK? Are they preventing the UK from leaving the EU?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"Well, fingers crossed, I have never had to find out if it works lol.

I think the host state is entitled to recover their cost from the visitor state. I’m sure the eu health card was top of everyone’s list when they voted lol"

Lololol

To get back on topic, the EU has published a list of all the provisions that will no longer apply to UK come March 29. Reciprocal health care just happens to be one of them.

I suspect no-one yet knows the full list of things that will cease come March 29 when UK withdraws from all these provisions.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"

The EHIC card is more used by people who have invested in holiday homes in Spain, France and the Canaries etc.

The EHIC does not have exclusions based on pre existing conditions whereas travel insurance does.

Many holiday home owners are retirees and will, by virtue of their age have pre existing conditions. Travel insurance will either exclude them or the cost will be extortionate.

For example, being on an aspirin or statin prescription could exclude you from stroke or heart related sicknesses because of the fact that you are taking preventative medicine for what is perceived to be a risk condition.

The loss of the health card is going to be a very big deal for people over 50 who travel frequently in Europe or who have holiday homes there.

over a year ago

The EHIC card is more used by people who have invested in holiday homes in Spain, France and the Canaries etc.

The EHIC does not have exclusions based on pre existing conditions whereas travel insurance does.

Many holiday home owners are retirees and will, by virtue of their age have pre existing conditions. Travel insurance will either exclude them or the cost will be extortionate.

For example, being on an aspirin or statin prescription could exclude you from stroke or heart related sicknesses because of the fact that you are taking preventative medicine for what is perceived to be a risk condition.

The loss of the health card is going to be a very big deal for people over 50 who travel frequently in Europe or who have holiday homes there. "

Please note that anyone coming to France is required by law to have what we call "public liability " insurance! If you damage something you will be sued here. For example you rent accommodation in the event of damage however caused on your rental you are liable. A Brit recently received a bill for 500,000 € when lightening struck the chateau he rented - fortunately his travel insurance picked up the bill. Always do your research before travelling - a few quid could be a life saver. Remember "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

As we're so close to potentially leaving, without any certainty of it, nor what the outcome may be, then it is essential that the country is informed, to allow possible preparations. Project fear Brexiters can only run on hot air for so long, before actually doing some graft, towards trying to sort out their mess that's plundering the country, which is still going through austerity - despot the huge costs they're imposing on it and everyone.

It's OK for hedge funds managers etc and those shoring money overseas but the majority are subject to councils and services deprived of money and their wages are stagnant from 2008.

A small few will do very nicely from the chaos, so it's probably largely self-interest that drives their wish for denial and ignorance to be sustained.

over a year ago

"As we're so close to potentially leaving, without any certainty of it, nor what the outcome may be, then it is essential that the country is informed, to allow possible preparations. Project fear Brexiters can only run on hot air for so long, before actually doing some graft, towards trying to sort out their mess that's plundering the country, which is still going through austerity - despot the huge costs they're imposing on it and everyone.

It's OK for hedge funds managers etc and those shoring money overseas but the majority are subject to councils and services deprived of money and their wages are stagnant from 2008.

A small few will do very nicely from the chaos, so it's probably largely self-interest that drives their wish for denial and ignorance to be sustained. "

Wait, this mess is remainers fault ?

And do we count JRM as a self interest hedge fund manager ?

over a year ago

Fanatics will believe anything to the end and brexits dday is approaching quick, its a cliff edge moment lol.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

So are we all watching or listening...

This is so bad a speech it’s making me pine for Teresa may

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Well... that was.... well... erm... well

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Just working my way through some of the papers and one of the things that is really sticking out is for as much and they like to say it would cut red tape... a lot of subjects it would do the opposite....

Also the UK are assuming a lot in these papers... stuff going through on a wink and a nod and expect the Eu to reciprocate

over a year ago

"Just working my way through some of the papers and one of the things that is really sticking out is for as much and they like to say it would cut red tape... a lot of subjects it would do the opposite....

Also the UK are assuming a lot in these papers... stuff going through on a wink and a nod and expect the Eu to reciprocate "

We have received the paper's direct this morning. One point being touted is those of us living in the EU could lose our UK bank accounts. This has massive implications for private pensions being paid into UK banks. Whilst state pension can be paid into overseas banks private pensions cannot. This could result in MASS migration to the UK of older pensioners who will swamp the NHS and probably local authorities for housing as they will probably lose a lot on forced house sales in the EU. On a good point anyone wanting to buy a second home are probably in for a bargain!

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Well... that was.... well... erm... well"

I think the release of the government technical notes for no deal today is a welcome development and has dispelled and cast aside much of the remain scaremongering that has been going on for months. Really these notes should have been prepared and released months ago. It's clear now the remain scaremongering that the NHS will run out of medicine in the event of no deal is nonsense. No Deal planning shows a 6 week stockpile of medicines will be made in case of no deal and that many medicines will be air-freighted in to avoid land border ports like Dover. I've just been listening to Niall Dickson chief executive of the NHS confederation speaking on sky news and he's very happy that NHS needs will continue to be met even in the event of no deal. He said that the detailed government planning is a great reassurance to the NHS. Mike Thompson chief executive of the British association of pharmaceutical industry was also being interviewed on sky news earlier and said he was very happy with the level of government planning that had gone into pharmaceuticals for a no deal scenario.

Onto other aspects about credit cards and bank cards being charged more in Europe is of little concern to me as the only time I use my card in Europe is when I'm on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks a year.

On nuclear the UK will be making its own nuclear regulation authority after Brexit.

Remainers have also been crowing time and again about UK tariffs staying the same as the EU's when we leave, but it's very clear now that won't be the case in the event of no deal. The technical notes show if there is no deal the UK will be changing it's tariff schedule to be different to that of the EU. This means that we can get rid of the EU's external tariff barrier which makes food from outside of the EU 17% more expensive than it should be. If we lower the tariff food and other goods coming into the UK from the rest of the world will be cheaper in the event of no deal.

No Deal would mean the end of EU protectionist trade policy being applied to the UK.

Given how these technical notes have laid to bed much of remains scaremongering i think the quicker the other technical notes are released the better.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"This means that we can get rid of the EU's external tariff barrier which makes food from outside of the EU 17% more expensive than it should be. If we lower the tariff food and other goods coming into the UK from the rest of the world will be cheaper in the event of no deal."

Why would you want to unilaterally lower tariff barriers with third countries, without extracting anything in return?

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"This means that we can get rid of the EU's external tariff barrier which makes food from outside of the EU 17% more expensive than it should be. If we lower the tariff food and other goods coming into the UK from the rest of the world will be cheaper in the event of no deal.

"

That’s not true as you would actually need WTO approval

Also as a double kick in the teeth if you actually buy anything from in the Eu less than a value of 135 pounds it is exempt from cross border VAT.... that would no longer be the case

In fact anything cross border bought on a card would have surcharge on it (actually that practice was banned by the Eu at the beginning of the year) the UK government estimated that cost UK people about 166 million pound in extra charges per year before it was outlawed

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

But it is nice to see that centy finally acknowledges the fact that medicines will need to be stockpiled.... ( although the rest of it about it being flown in to not have to go cross border is completely made up........ there is no such mention in any of the technical reports)

I’ll take only one huge fib per subject for now as progress

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"But it is nice to see that centy finally acknowledges the fact that medicines will need to be stockpiled.... ( although the rest of it about it being flown in to not have to go cross border is completely made up........ there is no such mention in any of the technical reports)

I’ll take only one huge fib per subject for now as progress "

But let's take Centaur's post at face value, he is admitting that Dover won't be able to accomodate the additional checks that will be required!

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"This means that we can get rid of the EU's external tariff barrier which makes food from outside of the EU 17% more expensive than it should be. If we lower the tariff food and other goods coming into the UK from the rest of the world will be cheaper in the event of no deal.

Also as a double kick in the teeth if you actually buy anything from in the Eu less than a value of 135 pounds it is exempt from cross border VAT.... that would no longer be the case

In fact anything cross border bought on a card would have surcharge on it (actually that practice was banned by the Eu at the beginning of the year) the UK government estimated that cost UK people about 166 million pound in extra charges per year before it was outlawed "

Just a few days ago you said the release of these papers would be the end of project fear and the start of project reality. The reality is these papers say in the event of no deal the UK tariff schedule at the WTO will be different to that of the EU. That is project reality for you.

Also in the event of no deal the EU can kiss goodbye to the £40 billion divorce bill. That £40 billion stays in the UK to be spent on UK citizens and UK priorities.

The surcharge on UK credit/bank cards in Europe is of little concern to me. I very rarely, if ever, use my card in Europe. For the most part it's on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks a year, but as these technical notes are all about people being able to plan for their own circumstances I can get around it by taking cash/Euros with me before I leave the UK. Happy days.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"But it is nice to see that centy finally acknowledges the fact that medicines will need to be stockpiled.... ( although the rest of it about it being flown in to not have to go cross border is completely made up........ there is no such mention in any of the technical reports)

I’ll take only one huge fib per subject for now as progress "

Try watching the news Fabio.

Have you acknowledged the fact now the NHS won't run out of medicine in the event of no deal.

It's been all over news stations all afternoon about medicines and pharmaceuticals being brought in by air-freight, I even gave you the names of 2 NHS and pharmaceutical experts who were interviewed by sky news on the subject. You are ignoring project reality already.

By *rench letterCouple
over a year ago

Chorley,

The Brexiters seem to like the idea we are stepping in back in time. They will all be wearing cloths like Jacobs Reece Mogg.

Because he is in one time warp.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"The Brexiters seem to like the idea we are stepping in back in time. They will all be wearing cloths like Jacobs Reece Mogg.

Because he is in one time warp. "

Jacob Rees Mogg always looks smart and is very well dressed.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"The Brexiters seem to like the idea we are stepping in back in time. They will all be wearing cloths like Jacobs Reece Mogg.

Because he is in one time warp.

Jacob Rees Mogg always looks smart and is very well dressed. "

Who makes his suits? Hugo Boss?

over a year ago

"Well... that was.... well... erm... well

I think the release of the government technical notes for no deal today is a welcome development and has dispelled and cast aside much of the remain scaremongering that has been going on for months. Really these notes should have been prepared and released months ago. It's clear now the remain scaremongering that the NHS will run out of medicine in the event of no deal is nonsense. No Deal planning shows a 6 week stockpile of medicines will be made in case of no deal and that many medicines will be air-freighted in to avoid land border ports like Dover. I've just been listening to Niall Dickson chief executive of the NHS confederation speaking on sky news and he's very happy that NHS needs will continue to be met even in the event of no deal. He said that the detailed government planning is a great reassurance to the NHS. Mike Thompson chief executive of the British association of pharmaceutical industry was also being interviewed on sky news earlier and said he was very happy with the level of government planning that had gone into pharmaceuticals for a no deal scenario.

Onto other aspects about credit cards and bank cards being charged more in Europe is of little concern to me as the only time I use my card in Europe is when I'm on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks a year.

On nuclear the UK will be making its own nuclear regulation authority after Brexit.

Remainers have also been crowing time and again about UK tariffs staying the same as the EU's when we leave, but it's very clear now that won't be the case in the event of no deal. The technical notes show if there is no deal the UK will be changing it's tariff schedule to be different to that of the EU. This means that we can get rid of the EU's external tariff barrier which makes food from outside of the EU 17% more expensive than it should be. If we lower the tariff food and other goods coming into the UK from the rest of the world will be cheaper in the event of no deal.

No Deal would mean the end of EU protectionist trade policy being applied to the UK.

Given how these technical notes have laid to bed much of remains scaremongering i think the quicker the other technical notes are released the better. "

I will try and find their interviews when I’m back from work. However their respective press statements don’t seem to have the enthusiasm you portray .... statements like “only a first step”, needing categorical assurances of getting medicine, wanting to see more comprehensive operational advice, stockpiling is just one part of a detailed contingency plan which is needed and a“no deal scenario is not in the interest of patients”

As I say, press releases and interviews may have different tones. But I’m not yet feeling the love. That said, neither am I feeling the hate. Project slightly bum squeak maybe ?

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Just a few days ago you said the release of these papers would be the end of project fear and the start of project reality. The reality is these papers say in the event of no deal the UK tariff schedule at the WTO will be different to that of the EU. That is project reality for you. "

see... i really wish you would stop saying stuff like this, because it is what we can call a "proveable lie"

because in the event of a no deal the tariff scheduled already proposed and submitted to the WTO is that tariffs Exactly mirror that of what they have in the EU... every single one!!!!!

its also the one that australia and new zealand have already objected to as i said in the other thread!!!

"Also in the event of no deal the EU can kiss goodbye to the £40 billion divorce bill. That £40 billion stays in the UK to be spent on UK citizens and UK priorities. "

and that would mean a no deal on absolutely everything.... again... absolutely everything!, just image the havoc on april 1st.....

"The surcharge on UK credit/bank cards in Europe is of little concern to me. I very rarely, if ever, use my card in Europe. For the most part it's on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks a year, but as these technical notes are all about people being able to plan for their own circumstances I can get around it by taking cash/Euros with me before I leave the UK. Happy days. "

back to me me me again.... why am i not surprised!!!!!also... did you see the pound drop yet again on fears of the no deal brexit... so you'll be getting less money for your money!!!!

over a year ago

In fact anything cross border bought on a card would have surcharge on it (actually that practice was banned by the Eu at the beginning of the year) the UK government estimated that cost UK people about 166 million pound in extra charges per year before it was outlawed

Just a few days ago you said the release of these papers would be the end of project fear and the start of project reality. The reality is these papers say in the event of no deal the UK tariff schedule at the WTO will be different to that of the EU. That is project reality for you.

Also in the event of no deal the EU can kiss goodbye to the £40 billion divorce bill. That £40 billion stays in the UK to be spent on UK citizens and UK priorities.

The surcharge on UK credit/bank cards in Europe is of little concern to me. I very rarely, if ever, use my card in Europe. For the most part it's on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks a year, but as these technical notes are all about people being able to plan for their own circumstances I can get around it by taking cash/Euros with me before I leave the UK. Happy days. "

You seem to forget the UK schedule which we are trying to get approved (It hasn't been yet) has to be approved by all 160 members! Fox has been pushing his copy and paste version since Sept 17! Given that Argentina, New Zealand, USA, Singapore and India have all said it needs adjustments we could crash out of the EU with no WTO schedule approved either! All 160 members know the UK is vulnerable as each day goes by as 29/3/19 looms closer.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

can we call the press association for this conversation "neutral"... they just report what are actually in the papers.....

so this is a summary of their points....

1)The removal of an EU ban on credit and debit card surcharges is “likely” to increase the cost of shopping.

2)UK citizens living in Europe face the possibility of losing access to their pension income and other financial services.

3)Consumers would face another potential cost increase when online shopping, with parcels arriving in the UK no longer liable for low value consignment relief (LVCR) on VAT.

4)Businesses exporting to Europe may have to “renegotiate commercial terms” to reflect customs and other tariff changes.

5)The firms may also need to pay out for new software or hire “a customs broker, freight forwarder or logistics provider” to help them deal with new requirements.

6)Companies exporting across the Irish border should “consider whether you will need advice from the Irish Government about preparations you need to make”.

7)Importing nuclear materials from the EU may require a licence.

8)Medicines and other medical products will have to go through “national assessment” before they receive market authorisation to be sold in the UK.

9)NHS patients may face delays accessing innovative treatments.

10)Cigarette packet health warnings would change as the current images used are copyrighted to the EU.

11)Organic food producers face a “cliff edge” of exporting to the EU only if certified by a body approved by the European commission, with certification taking up to nine months after Brexit.

12)The government is planning to recruit an extra 9,000 staff into the civil service to deal with Brexit, in addition to 7,000 currently working on preparations.

13)The government will pay for British aid organisation programmes whose funding could be ended in the event of no deal.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Why would you want to unilaterally lower tariff barriers with third countries, without extracting anything in return?

"

centy is basically parroting the line that "economists for brexit" say in that they want the uk to be an low tariff low tax country... so allow stuff in tariff free would in theory lower some prices....

anyone exporting would still though be bound into WTO tariffs.....

however what centy is also not telling you is that the very same "ecomonists for brexit" also concede "this model would decimate the UK farming and UK Manufacuring industries".......

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Just a few days ago you said the release of these papers would be the end of project fear and the start of project reality. The reality is these papers say in the event of no deal the UK tariff schedule at the WTO will be different to that of the EU. That is project reality for you.

see... i really wish you would stop saying stuff like this, because it is what we can call a "proveable lie"

because in the event of a no deal the tariff scheduled already proposed and submitted to the WTO is that tariffs Exactly mirror that of what they have in the EU... every single one!!!!!

its also the one that australia and new zealand have already objected to as i said in the other thread!!!

and that would mean a no deal on absolutely everything.... again... absolutely everything!, just image the havoc on april 1st.....

The surcharge on UK credit/bank cards in Europe is of little concern to me. I very rarely, if ever, use my card in Europe. For the most part it's on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks a year, but as these technical notes are all about people being able to plan for their own circumstances I can get around it by taking cash/Euros with me before I leave the UK. Happy days.

back to me me me again.... why am i not surprised!!!!!also... did you see the pound drop yet again on fears of the no deal brexit... so you'll be getting less money for your money!!!!

"

I've just been reading a Reuters news article on the technical notices released by the UK government today. Even the Reuters article says in the event of no deal the technical notes reveal that the UK will change its submitted tariff schedule at the WTO to be different to that of the EU. It's in the technical notes released by the government today and is being reported all over different news media! We will know by the end of October/November if there is a deal or not as that is the deadline to get a deal ratified within the EU before March. So if there is no deal by October/November this gives the UK government 4 to 5 months to change its proposed tariff schedule at the WTO before Brexit day in March 2019. A top barrister called Martin Howe QC, of Lawyer's for Britain said this would be the case last weekend and I quoted him on another thread. Looks like Mr Howe QC has been proved right.

As for the drop in the pound it will boost UK exports again and the FTSE 100. The lower the pound drops the more it cancels out any potential tariff increase on UK goods going into the EU in a no deal scenario.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Just a few days ago you said the release of these papers would be the end of project fear and the start of project reality. The reality is these papers say in the event of no deal the UK tariff schedule at the WTO will be different to that of the EU. That is project reality for you.

I've just been reading a Reuters news article on the technical notices released by the UK government today. Even the Reuters article says in the event of no deal the technical notes reveal that the UK will change its submitted tariff schedule at the WTO to be different to that of the EU. It's in the technical notes released by the government today and is being reported all over different news media! We will know by the end of October/November if there is a deal or not as that is the deadline to get a deal ratified within the EU before March. So if there is no deal by October/November this gives the UK government 4 to 5 months to change its proposed tariff schedule at the WTO before Brexit day in March 2019. A top barrister called Martin Howe QC, of Lawyer's for Britain said this would be the case last weekend and I quoted him on another thread. Looks like Mr Howe QC has been proved right.

As for the drop in the pound it will boost UK exports again and the FTSE 100. The lower the pound drops the more it cancels out any potential tariff increase on UK goods going into the EU in a no deal scenario. "

It's taken more than 9 month since we announced our current schedule and that hasn't been agreed to yet, in fact its been opposed by our closest allies. So what are the chances we would get a new schedule approved in 4-5 months? Zero.

You do realise that if we unilaterally slash our tariffs, that no country in the world will do a trade deal with us, right? I mean, why would they? They would already have everything they want, without having to give us anything in return.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

centy is basically parroting the line that "economists for brexit" say in that they want the uk to be an low tariff low tax country... so allow stuff in tariff free would in theory lower some prices....

anyone exporting would still though be bound into WTO tariffs.....

however what centy is also not telling you is that the very same "ecomonists for brexit" also concede "this model would decimate the UK farming and UK Manufacuring industries"....... "

You keep talking about the drop in the value of the pound _abio but when it comes to this particular point it suddenly always slips your memory, lol.

The drop in the value of the pound will to some extent cancel out any potential tariff increase on UK exports. Also on farming in particular it was also reported on sky news coverage of the technical notices this afternoon that the UK government will continue to subsidise UK farmer's in the same way they are currently subsidised by the EU's common agricultural policy. The only difference is we will be cutting out the EU middle man and paying the subsidy direct to the farmers ourselves which seems like a much more efficient way to do it to me. Farmers won't experience any loss of funding In the event of no deal.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

You seem to forget the UK schedule which we are trying to get approved (It hasn't been yet) has to be approved by all 160 members! Fox has been pushing his copy and paste version since Sept 17! Given that Argentina, New Zealand, USA, Singapore and India have all said it needs adjustments we could crash out of the EU with no WTO schedule approved either! All 160 members know the UK is vulnerable as each day goes by as 29/3/19 looms closer. "

this is why its not going to happen... as an example it took russia 19 years to finally get their WTO tariff schedule approved............

over a year ago

"

You seem to forget the UK schedule which we are trying to get approved (It hasn't been yet) has to be approved by all 160 members! Fox has been pushing his copy and paste version since Sept 17! Given that Argentina, New Zealand, USA, Singapore and India have all said it needs adjustments we could crash out of the EU with no WTO schedule approved either! All 160 members know the UK is vulnerable as each day goes by as 29/3/19 looms closer.

this is why its not going to happen... as an example it took russia 19 years to finally get their WTO tariff schedule approved............"

Just ask the question:

Who have we pissed off whilst acquiring our empire?

Argentina over the Falklands

Spain over Gibraltar

India whom we plundered

East India company who did "great deals" around the world and anyone who said no had a "convincer" from the British Army.

We probably have more "enemies" than we think!

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

this is why its not going to happen... as an example it took russia 19 years to finally get their WTO tariff schedule approved............

Just ask the question:

Who have we pissed off whilst acquiring our empire?

Argentina over the Falklands

Spain over Gibraltar

India whom we plundered

East India company who did "great deals" around the world and anyone who said no had a "convincer" from the British Army.

We probably have more "enemies" than we think!"

Russia like us at the moment, right?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

This argument seems to be about how bad things might be on March 29.

Between a struggle and a catastrophe.

What happened to the land of milk and honey promised to us by those who wanted us to vote leave?

Aren't things meant to be better on March 29, not degrees of worse off?

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I think the release of the government technical notes for no deal today is a welcome development and has dispelled and cast aside much of the remain scaremongering that has been going on for months. Really these notes should have been prepared and released months ago. It's clear now the remain scaremongering that the NHS will run out of medicine in the event of no deal is nonsense. No Deal planning shows a 6 week stockpile of medicines will be made in case of no deal and that many medicines will be air-freighted in to avoid land border ports like Dover. I've just been listening to Niall Dickson chief executive of the NHS confederation speaking on sky news and he's very happy that NHS needs will continue to be met even in the event of no deal. He said that the detailed government planning is a great reassurance to the NHS. Mike Thompson chief executive of the British association of pharmaceutical industry was also being interviewed on sky news earlier and said he was very happy with the level of government planning that had gone into pharmaceuticals for a no deal scenario.

Given how these technical notes have laid to bed much of remains scaremongering i think the quicker the other technical notes are released the better. "

You clearly don't have the first clue how government works. All you have to do is look back at WW2 or watch the naughty's BBC Documentary on the 80's plans for a nuclear war to get a clear insight into the depths of its machinations.

The government tells us what it has to to keep us calm while making plans to kill us if that is what is needed to ensure that the state survives. Lets just hope that like in 1940 the 'keep calm and carry on' posters are not required.

over a year ago

"This argument seems to be about how bad things might be on March 29.

What happened to the land of milk and honey promised to us by those who wanted us to vote leave?

"

I don’t think many leave votes thought about it. They just wanted less brown people coming into the country. Just remember back to the leave campaign tactics.

over a year ago

The information for business in northern Ireland is priceless ,

Ask the irish government what you should do ??

over a year ago

"The information for business in northern Ireland is priceless ,

Ask the irish government what you should do ?? "

"We would recommend that, if you trade across the land border, you should consider whether you will need advice from the Irish government about preparations you need to make."

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

march 29th up till 11pm will be fine......

i am generous and say march 30th and 31st will be okay and we will cope... but it is the saturday and the sunday....

april 1st is when the true shit will hit the fan... the irony of it being "fools day" will not be lost on anyone....

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"We would recommend that, if you trade across the land border, you should consider whether you will need advice from the Irish government about preparations you need to make.""

In other words ask an EU member state..

It's beyond a comedy..

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"I think the release of the government technical notes for no deal today is a welcome development and has dispelled and cast aside much of the remain scaremongering that has been going on for months. Really these notes should have been prepared and released months ago. It's clear now the remain scaremongering that the NHS will run out of medicine in the event of no deal is nonsense. No Deal planning shows a 6 week stockpile of medicines will be made in case of no deal and that many medicines will be air-freighted in to avoid land border ports like Dover. I've just been listening to Niall Dickson chief executive of the NHS confederation speaking on sky news and he's very happy that NHS needs will continue to be met even in the event of no deal. He said that the detailed government planning is a great reassurance to the NHS. Mike Thompson chief executive of the British association of pharmaceutical industry was also being interviewed on sky news earlier and said he was very happy with the level of government planning that had gone into pharmaceuticals for a no deal scenario.

Given how these technical notes have laid to bed much of remains scaremongering i think the quicker the other technical notes are released the better.

You clearly don't have the first clue how government works. All you have to do is look back at WW2 or watch the naughty's BBC Documentary on the 80's plans for a nuclear war to get a clear insight into the depths of its machinations.

The government tells us what it has to to keep us calm while making plans to kill us if that is what is needed to ensure that the state survives. Lets just hope that like in 1940 the 'keep calm and carry on' posters are not required. "

Keep hunting squirrels and rabbits in the woods will, you never believe anything the government says.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"We would recommend that, if you trade across the land border, you should consider whether you will need advice from the Irish government about preparations you need to make.""

aka don't ask us, we ain't got a feckin clue

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

march 29th up till 11pm will be fine......

i am generous and say march 30th and 31st will be okay and we will cope... but it is the saturday and the sunday....

april 1st is when the true shit will hit the fan... the irony of it being "fools day" will not be lost on anyone...."

March 29 is my birthday.

I'm thinking about spending it in Spain or Portugal.

I'll pack some travellers cheques.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Watched the speech this morning and very impressed with thw way the government is doing this.Now more convinced than ever things will be good sooner rather than later.

May is more of a sneaky bitch than many think included the dumb EU

over a year ago

"Watched the speech this morning and very impressed with thw way the government is doing this.Now more convinced than ever things will be good sooner rather than later.

May is more of a sneaky bitch than many think included the dumb EU"

How can I join this parallel universe that you live in! Do I need to take the red pill or the blue pill?

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Watched the speech this morning and very impressed with thw way the government is doing this.Now more convinced than ever things will be good sooner rather than later.

May is more of a sneaky bitch than many think included the dumb EU"

your impressed that for one of the fundamental sticking points one that the EU have remained solid on, the Eire/Northern Ireland border that the advice is as stated a couple of posts above..?

ironic that you chuck out comments about people being on the wacky baccy ..

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

How can I join this parallel universe that you live in! Do I need to take the red pill or the blue pill? "

Listen to what was said officially by the government and not just the opinions of people with vested interest say.Open your mind.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

How can I join this parallel universe that you live in! Do I need to take the red pill or the blue pill? Listen to what was said officially by the government and not just the opinions of people with vested interest say.Open your mind."

You cant have listened to what was said today though surely?

how if you did are you not staggered that the advice to business in Norther Ireland is to speak not to HMG in Westminster but the Eire Government in Dublin upon whose systems, policies etc are those of the EU in relation to this..

its mind boggling..

over a year ago

How can I join this parallel universe that you live in! Do I need to take the red pill or the blue pill? Listen to what was said officially by the government and not just the opinions of people with vested interest say.Open your mind."

I’ve quoted some of the things the Tories said today...

“Chemicals, food and drink, clothing, manufacturing, cars, and retail were estimated to be the sectors most affected negatively in the long-run, with the largest negative impacts felt in the north-east and Northern Ireland,” Hammond

“The Chancellor has confirmed that the Government forecasts a disastrous hit to our economy and living standards in the event of a ‘no-deal’ Brexit.” Nicky Morgan

Mind opened.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Keep hunting squirrels and rabbits in the woods will, you never believe anything the government says. "

I continually point to verifiable historical facts as a reference to how we can expect today's government to act, and you keep dismissing what I say in the same trite way. One of us is deluded and one of us is cynical. I wonder which of us is which?

Want to hazard a guess Centy?

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I don’t think many leave votes thought about it. They just wanted less brown people coming into the country. Just remember back to the leave campaign tactics."

I think you are absolutely correct.

Funny thing is brexit makes it inevitable that more brown people will come to this country not less.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

How can I join this parallel universe that you live in! Do I need to take the red pill or the blue pill? Listen to what was said officially by the government and not just the opinions of people with vested interest say.Open your mind.

I’ve quoted some of the things the Tories said today...

“Chemicals, food and drink, clothing, manufacturing, cars, and retail were estimated to be the sectors most affected negatively in the long-run, with the largest negative impacts felt in the north-east and Northern Ireland,” Hammond

“The Chancellor has confirmed that the Government forecasts a disastrous hit to our economy and living standards in the event of a ‘no-deal’ Brexit.” Nicky Morgan

Mind opened.

"

You've just quoted two die hard remainers in the Conservative party who don't want Brexit to happen and are doing all they can to undermine it. You just missed out swivel eyed Anna Soubry, Ken Clarke and Dominic Grieve for a full set.

over a year ago

"I don’t think many leave votes thought about it. They just wanted less brown people coming into the country. Just remember back to the leave campaign tactics.

I think you are absolutely correct.

Funny thing is brexit makes it inevitable that more brown people will come to this country not less.

"

Immigration from outside of the EU into the UK has always been higher than immigration from the EU! We had "control" of that yet still they let them in - UK Govt to blame no one else.

over a year ago

How can I join this parallel universe that you live in! Do I need to take the red pill or the blue pill? Listen to what was said officially by the government and not just the opinions of people with vested interest say.Open your mind.

how if you did are you not staggered that the advice to business in Norther Ireland is to speak not to HMG in Westminster but the Eire Government in Dublin upon whose systems, policies etc are those of the EU in relation to this..

its mind boggling..

"

Reason the suggestion to contact Dublin is being put out there is simple , the border is going to be the irish sea ,

The suggestion of the channel system is being looked at again ,

Two lanes of traffic entering the port in Belfast green channel for traffic from northern Ireland and red channel for southern traffic less checking on the green and every truck checked in the red channel ,

All traffic checked entering northern Ireland and eu standards for everything coming in to Ireland whether it's for southern Ireland or northern Ireland ,

over a year ago

in Lancashire

its mind boggling..

Reason the suggestion to contact Dublin is being put out there is simple , the border is going to be the irish sea ,

The suggestion of the channel system is being looked at again ,

Two lanes of traffic entering the port in Belfast green channel for traffic from northern Ireland and red channel for southern traffic less checking on the green and every truck checked in the red channel ,

All traffic checked entering northern Ireland and eu standards for everything coming in to Ireland whether it's for southern Ireland or northern Ireland ,"

Inevitable delays..

Kent will fare badly..

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

"

On the sunlit uplands of Brexitania, it'll be unicorns gambolling and glitter falling for the sky. How dare you think that after 29/3 everything won't be for the best in the best of all possible worlds??.

over a year ago

As for the drop in the pound it will boost UK exports again and the FTSE 100. The lower the pound drops the more it cancels out any potential tariff increase on UK goods going into the EU in a no deal scenario. "

Just read an article by the boss of the WTO saying that's it's highly unlikely that our schedule at the WTO will be accepted by ALL 160 MEMBERS - we crash out of the EU and not have WTO to fall back on! Holly Moley no wonder the £ is falling!

over a year ago

As for the drop in the pound it will boost UK exports again and the FTSE 100. The lower the pound drops the more it cancels out any potential tariff increase on UK goods going into the EU in a no deal scenario.

Just read an article by the boss of the WTO saying that's it's highly unlikely that our schedule at the WTO will be accepted by ALL 160 MEMBERS - we crash out of the EU and not have WTO to fall back on! Holly Moley no wonder the £ is falling! "

Dumb question. What happens then ? I always thought there was a default schedule ...

over a year ago

Just read an article by the boss of the WTO saying that's it's highly unlikely that our schedule at the WTO will be accepted by ALL 160 MEMBERS - we crash out of the EU and not have WTO to fall back on! Holly Moley no wonder the £ is falling!

Dumb question. What happens then ? I always thought there was a default schedule ..."

Good question

Take a look at this link ,

And think of Britain as the guy that ant enjoying it the others are EU and wto

https://youtu.be/9gLN3QoN-q8

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Dumb question. What happens then ? I always thought there was a default schedule ..."

1) see the likes of centy like to playup the falling pound saying it is brilliant for exporters...... not so good if the apparently "benefit" of the falling pound (which is making the average person poorer) is negated by the increased tariffs on products made......

2) there is a absolute basic default WTO tariff schedule.... quick question, how many countries have to use the entire WTO default schedule???

the answer is none because it is that negative!... and if we go out with "no deal" we would be the only country of the 164 members that would have to run the entire default schedule!

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

The Leave message is rapidly becoming:

"It will be crappy but not awful. Probably."

Just a few questions for Centy which he has been dodging for several months:

If there is a WTO trade dispute does the UK Supreme Court have sovereignty?

If our currency exchange rate falls our goods become less expensive to foreigners. Do foreign goods become more expensive to us?

If we unilaterally reduce our tariffs to zero, does anyone we sell to have to reduce their tariffs? How will this effect UK based companies that export?

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The Leave message is rapidly becoming:

"It will be crappy but not awful. Probably."

Just a few questions for Centy which he has been dodging for several months:

If there is a WTO trade dispute does the UK Supreme Court have sovereignty?

If our currency exchange rate falls our goods become less expensive to foreigners. Do foreign goods become more expensive to us?

If we unilaterally reduce our tariffs to zero, does anyone we sell to have to reduce their tariffs? How will this effect UK based companies that export?"

Can you stop asking really sensible points because I am dying to answer those last two questions but I want to see if centy will.....lol

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

The surcharge on UK credit/bank cards in Europe is of little concern to me. I very rarely, if ever, use my card in Europe. For the most part it's on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks a year, but as these technical notes are all about people being able to plan for their own circumstances I can get around it by taking cash/Euros with me before I leave the UK. Happy days. "

So it's f#ck everyone who regularly travels to europe or who have second homes here or who live here permanently because you, personally, only go for a couple of weeks a year? I'm alright Jack eh? Nice

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

In fact anything cross border bought on a card would have surcharge on it (actually that practice was banned by the Eu at the beginning of the year) the UK government estimated that cost UK people about 166 million pound in extra charges per year before it was outlawed "

So about 6.6p per adult per week then. Or about 10p per week per employed person.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

So about 6.6p per adult per week then. Or about 10p per week per employed person."

see... you are assuming that everyone basically goes to europe

the issue is that 166 million are those spend in cross border charges on those brits who use their uk cards whilst in europe alone.....

and then on top of that.... remember those mobile phone roaming charges that were outlaw by the eu.... well... they would come back as well...

see.... the issue is you like to "poo-poo" every negative in your strive to "regain your borders" but you are going to leave the only land border you have with the EU wide open.....

do you see any weird contridiction in that???

i have a theory that they only release the 24 of the 88 papers/notices now because theses are the ones that give the most positive info.... its only going to get worse from here....

so when the likes of the papers on aviation, and pensions, and financial services are released this is when we get to find out the really shitty stuff...

and that is going to leave people like moggsy, and redwood, and even people like centy with a big dilema/problem... if people believe the 1st lot of papers they then cant say they don't believe the others

over a year ago

I think that the quicker we decide that leaving immediately with no deal, is better than waiting until next year “plus the two year transitional period,” only to receive a crap deal, is the best option.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

I think that the quicker we decide that leaving immediately with no deal, is better than waiting until next year “plus the two year transitional period,” only to receive a crap deal, is the best option. "

Is there anything negative about Leaving the EU at all?

Is there anything positive about being in the EU?

Rather than just repeating a line like a sheep and then changing the line when you are told to, how about thinking?

Someone can only be accused of stupidity if they don't think. Refusing to think is a whole different tier of stupid.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Just bumping this back up because the next set of 28 technical notices are due to be released today.....

Driving licences, roaming charges, aviation I think are all on the list of subjects

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

No roaming charges for mobiles. If the operators don't agree, then they will be compelled by law.

over a year ago

According to 5 live no aviation on the list today

over a year ago

"No roaming charges for mobiles. If the operators don't agree, then they will be compelled by law."
sounds like regulatory alignment.

Seriously tho, I can see they can apply charge caps to Uk customers ... but they can’t stop/limit an eu provider charging a uk one. So we will end up paying for this (possibly)

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"No roaming charges for mobiles. If the operators don't agree, then they will be compelled by law.sounds like regulatory alignment.

Seriously tho, I can see they can apply charge caps to Uk customers ... but they can’t stop/limit an eu provider charging a uk one. So we will end up paying for this (possibly)"

i think they are basically saying if it goes above £45 pound the mobile operator is going to take the hit....

which if everyone does it you could see line rental charges going up in theory to cover....

anyway going to the driving license guidance one.... and it is an absolute minefield.... god only help anyone on a european camping holiday......

and you know the 6 month expiry on passports is going to catch some people out......

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

So, we have had two rounds of actual technical notices released and a number of “leaked” proposals relating to other matters. There appears to be an underlying message that the U.K. is prepared to accept current EU rules, regulations and processes and suggests that the risk is that the EU may not do the same.

This suggests to me that waving through at the U.K. border will continue (goods and people) but this may not be reciprocated at the EU border and EU licensing and other technical papers will be accepted in the U.K. bot not necessarily the other way round.

So the U.K. is accepting EU rules and regulations and not requiring reciprocation in return? How is that taking back control? How can it be better to accept rules and regulations that we have no input in making as being a better scenario than shaping and forming those very rules and regulations? How many more one sided compromises are going to take place before people really start to question the underlying purpose of this shambles?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"So, we have had two rounds of actual technical notices released and a number of “leaked” proposals relating to other matters. There appears to be an underlying message that the U.K. is prepared to accept current EU rules, regulations and processes and suggests that the risk is that the EU may not do the same.

This suggests to me that waving through at the U.K. border will continue (goods and people) but this may not be reciprocated at the EU border and EU licensing and other technical papers will be accepted in the U.K. bot not necessarily the other way round.

So the U.K. is accepting EU rules and regulations and not requiring reciprocation in return? How is that taking back control? How can it be better to accept rules and regulations that we have no input in making as being a better scenario than shaping and forming those very rules and regulations? How many more one sided compromises are going to take place before people really start to question the underlying purpose of this shambles?"

You cannot be outside the single market (as a non-member of the EU) and in it at the same time (which is what the UK appears to be aiming for).

The EU has been consistent about that from day one.

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I tried to explain to my Mum about the consequences of leaving the EU. If I knew two years ago the issues with passports, driving licences, trade, working abroad, recognition of qualifications and membership of professional bodies, aviation issues, etc then why weren’t the public informed prior to the referendum?

I think they were duped into voting to leave. I work in a sector with a globally recognised qualification and it will affect us in many different ways. The office was stunned with the result.

I just don’t understand the lack of planning prior to the referendum. Surely a computer somewhere could have given them this scenario and a better outcome! They make it sound as if it’s all a surprise!

It’s a messy divorce being played out in public and neither side will be happy.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

nail.on.head

Referenda usually take place when some big change is proposed, e.g. scottish independence

This one was called to endorse the status quo.

So the people who called the referendum made no provision for any outcome other than the status quo.

Hubris on a monumental scale.

We are living with the consequences now.

We voted for something but did not know at the time all that it entailed.

Now we are discovering.

Political incompetence on an unprecedented scale.

Cameron will go down in history as one of the most reckless PMs in history.

over a year ago

"No roaming charges for mobiles. If the operators don't agree, then they will be compelled by law.sounds like regulatory alignment.

Seriously tho, I can see they can apply charge caps to Uk customers ... but they can’t stop/limit an eu provider charging a uk one. So we will end up paying for this (possibly)

i think they are basically saying if it goes above £45 pound the mobile operator is going to take the hit....

which if everyone does it you could see line rental charges going up in theory to cover....

anyway going to the driving license guidance one.... and it is an absolute minefield.... god only help anyone on a european camping holiday......

and you know the 6 month expiry on passports is going to catch some people out......"

We get all the paper's direct by email as we are registered with the British embassy. Have read some - long read! Driving licences :

There are 2 International Driving Permits in force

Geneva 1949 & Vienna 1968 (all before we joined EU).

Some countries are in one some in the other so depending on where your going you may need both (France/Spain)! One lasts a year the other 3 years! Costs are only £5.50 each so not expensive - but just another bit of paperwork.

Car insurance - you get "x" number of days continental cover! However what people need to check is what cover they have - it may not be the comprehensive cover enjoyed in the UK - usually it's third party cover only unless you buy a green card. After brexit the border controls will ask to see the green card cover.

over a year ago

and you know the 6 month expiry on passports is going to catch some people out......"

Roaming charges - Three of the four major networks have said they will don't have any plans to introduce roaming charges. Vodafone have said it is too soon to say, but currently no plans to change roaming charges.

They all have reciprocal agreements with EU networks so it will will be mutually beneficial for all concerned. EU residents visiting the UK will soon complain to their network if they are hit with high roaming charges. Consumers will move networks if they are charged.

Driving licence - why will it be a minefield? Purchase an IDP 1949 and you will be covered. I don't know how hazardous a trip to your Post Office is but mine is fairly safe.

Passports - six month expiry is the same for the US. What is the big deal?

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

and you know the 6 month expiry on passports is going to catch some people out......

Roaming charges - Three of the four major networks have said they will don't have any plans to introduce roaming charges. Vodafone have said it is too soon to say, but currently no plans to change roaming charges.

They all have reciprocal agreements with EU networks so it will will be mutually beneficial for all concerned. EU residents visiting the UK will soon complain to their network if they are hit with high roaming charges. Consumers will move networks if they are charged.

Driving licence - why will it be a minefield? Purchase an IDP 1949 and you will be covered. I don't know how hazardous a trip to your Post Office is but mine is fairly safe.

Passports - six month expiry is the same for the US. What is the big deal?"

The driving licence issue isn’t as easy as you make out.. I’d actually read exactly what the notices say... for example are you aware that you would need a different driving permit for Spain than you would need for France! Are you aware the the permit for Ireland would need renewing every year!

Go and read it all

Oh ... and your trips to the post office may be fine and jolly at the moment... the aa estimates they would need 7 million extra of these applications... which is whether you like it or not is going to effect application times

over a year ago

The driving licence issue isn’t as easy as you make out.. I’d actually read exactly what the notices say... for example are you aware that you would need a different driving permit for Spain than you would need for France! Are you aware the the permit for Ireland would need renewing every year!

Go and read it all

Oh ... and your trips to the post office may be fine and jolly at the moment... the aa estimates they would need 7 million extra of these applications... which is whether you like it or not is going to effect application times "

If I drive to Spain & Ireland I will take that into consideration.

A reciprocal agreement would make so much sense, unless of course you want to make a political point at the expense of any benefit to your population.

I'm sure the thousands of EU visitors to the UK will want a reciprocal agreement as much as UK visitors to the EU do.

Can you see any reason why the EU wouldn't agree to recognise UK driving licences?

over a year ago

Go and read it all

Oh ... and your trips to the post office may be fine and jolly at the moment... the aa estimates they would need 7 million extra of these applications... which is whether you like it or not is going to effect application times

A reciprocal agreement would make so much sense, unless of course you want to make a political point at the expense of any benefit to your population.

I'm sure the thousands of EU visitors to the UK will want a reciprocal agreement as much as UK visitors to the EU do.

Can you see any reason why the EU wouldn't agree to recognise UK driving licences?"

The difference is we only need 1 IDP - we only need 1 to cover UK. If your driving to Spain via France you need both!

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

Go and read it all

Can you see any reason why the EU wouldn't agree to recognise UK driving licences?

The difference is we only need 1 IDP - we only need 1 to cover UK. If your driving to Spain via France you need both! "

Again all of this missed the point.

Whenever anyone says “we could just...” they normally then go on to describe some kind of arranagment or, what many would call, a ‘deal’.

The point of these technical notices is to highlight what would happen if we *don’t* get a deal.

And a ‘deal’ might not be a binary thing, there might be a deal struck on one aspect but not another. But again, to get s deal you need to have some kind of negotiation. Even if just to both agree ‘yes that deal is fine’. It is still a negotiation and it is still a deal.

The Brexit hardliners don’t want a deal.

-Matt

over a year ago

Deals take time and policial capital (and may not happen. See scallopgate). I wonder what may give behind the scenes in order to provide the view nothing has changed ... because while both sides would benefit, the benefit per person will be greater for the uk.

I’m more intrigued by the idea legislation will be used. This feels an odd outcome. Rather than inside the tent influencing, do we risk seeing The eu decide legislation ... and then we set our own legislation in line (or maybe at a worse level)... is sovereignty going to be an illusion ?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Passports - six month expiry is the same for the US. What is the big deal?"

yep, all very easy workable solutions to so called problems remoaners have been crowing about for months. As I said with the release of the first lot of papers these no deal technical notices should have been released months ago to dispell the remain scaremongering that has been going on. Fabio said the release of these papers would be 'project reality' but it seems he still doesn't accept reality now they've been released and is attempting to make mountains out of mole hills.

Personally I couldn't give a toss about roaming charges but the companies have said it will stay pretty much as is. It won't be because of what the UK or the EU want in the end it will be because it's what the customer wants and is the way business works that they will want to keep roaming charges low to keep existing customers and attract new ones. That is the nature of business and the relationship with the consumer, customers will go where the cheapest deals are and companies will compete to offer the cheapest and best deals on roaming charges to retain and attract new customers.

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

yep, all very easy workable solutions to so called problems remoaners have been crowing about for months. As I said with the release of the first lot of papers these no deal technical notices should have been released months ago to dispell the remain scaremongering that has been going on. Fabio said the release of these papers would be 'project reality' but it seems he still doesn't accept reality now they've been released and is attempting to make mountains out of mole hills.

Personally I couldn't give a toss about roaming charges but the companies have said it will stay pretty much as is. It won't be because of what the UK or the EU want in the end it will be because it's what the customer wants and is the way business works that they will want to keep roaming charges low to keep existing customers and attract new ones. That is the nature of business and the relationship with the consumer, customers will go where the cheapest deals are and companies will compete to offer the cheapest and best deals on roaming charges to retain and attract new customers. "

Read my post two above yours. You are missing the point.

As for roaming charges, yes, of course the consumer will get what they want. That is why we had exorbitant roaming charges for so long I would like no roaming charges to outside the EU too... why don't we have that? In your mind the consumer is all powerful and the companies will just bow to their will? If so, why do we still have high roaming charges to the US for example?

-Matt

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Go and read it all

The difference is we only need 1 IDP - we only need 1 to cover UK. If your driving to Spain via France you need both!

Whenever anyone says “we could just...” they normally then go on to describe some kind of arranagment or, what many would call, a ‘deal’.

The point of these technical notices is to highlight what would happen if we *don’t* get a deal.

And a ‘deal’ might not be a binary thing, there might be a deal struck on one aspect but not another. But again, to get s deal you need to have some kind of negotiation. Even if just to both agree ‘yes that deal is fine’. It is still a negotiation and it is still a deal.

-Matt"

The 'No deal' label is still a deal though as it will be a deal on WTO rules. So really the 'No Deal' term is a bit of a fallacy. A deal on WTO rules is the default position.

over a year ago

Go and read it all

-Matt

The 'No deal' label is still a deal though as it will be a deal on WTO rules. So really the 'No Deal' term is a bit of a fallacy. A deal on WTO rules is the default position. "

It’s what we need, a complete and clean break from the EU. Many countries are doing just great in the WTO, and this nation will do just great as well.

Besides we will need the rest of the world, especially when the EU house of cards comes crashing down. Which it will, hopefully...

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

Go and read it all

-Matt

The 'No deal' label is still a deal though as it will be a deal on WTO rules. So really the 'No Deal' term is a bit of a fallacy. A deal on WTO rules is the default position. "

Where in the WTO regs does it cover driving licences? Or passports? Or airlines? Or any of the other gazillion things that will be effected?

Besides that, I still don’t get the whole love of WTO rules by leavers. You want to leave a group of 28 counties in which we were quite influential and instead negotiate with a group of 160+ countries in which we are not so influential.

Have we negotiated our schedule with WTO yet?

Didn’t think so.

-Matt

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

Go and read it all

-Matt

The 'No deal' label is still a deal though as it will be a deal on WTO rules. So really the 'No Deal' term is a bit of a fallacy. A deal on WTO rules is the default position.

It’s what we need, a complete and clean break from the EU. Many countries are doing just great in the WTO, and this nation will do just great as well.

Besides we will need the rest of the world, especially when the EU house of cards comes crashing down. Which it will, hopefully..."

You do realise that the EU is a part of the ‘rest of the world’ too right? I think the rest of the EU members are looking at the clusterfuck of Brexit and being quite glad they didn’t decide to follow us off the cliff too.

-Matt

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

WTO is the default for any nation starting out. The UK will be the only nation in the world with no trade agreement with anyone.

Now, as blank sheets of paper, that's about as blank as it gets.

But when you've party to one of the largest trading blocs, with its free trade between 600 million consumers and the leverage to negotiate preferential terms around the world, it promises to be quite a shock to the system.

over a year ago

Go and read it all

-Matt

Besides we will need the rest of the world, especially when the EU house of cards comes crashing down. Which it will, hopefully..."

Your an idiot if you think the EU collapsing would not inflict serious damage on the UK - in fact the world. It would make the last recession look like a walk in the park!

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Go and read it all

Oh ... and your trips to the post office may be fine and jolly at the moment... the aa estimates they would need 7 million extra of these applications... which is whether you like it or not is going to effect application times "

You really are attempting to make mountains out of mole hills when it comes to these international driving permits aren't you Fabio. It's a simple form which costs a fiver.

I remember you mocking someone in the lounge forum some time ago for refusing to pay for a fab membership, you said it was only £5, only a FIVER, and was hardly going to break the bank. Yet here you are moaning about something which will cost the same as a fab membership. Gold membership is £5 for 3 months or silver £5 for 6 months, so you have to renew 4 times a year on gold or 2 times a year on silver membership here, do you moan that is inconvenient for you??? Yet here you are complaining about doing a simple form once a year for a driving permit for Ireland.

As for the 7 million extra forms needed at the post office, another way around that would be to do it all online from the comfort of your own home as you can now do with your road tax. Gone are the days you had to go to the post office to get your road tax, you can just do it online now through the DVLA website, pay the fee online and print out your receipt at home with your own printer. Its also more environmentally friendly and cuts down on the need for paper forms. There is no reason why the same system can't be employed for international driving permits, do it at home online through the DVLA website, pay the £5 fee online and print out the document at home on your own printer. For those who don't have a printer at home it's very easy to use a printer at work or go down to your local library and get a print out there for 20p, which I have done myself in the past when getting my road tax online.

For every problem you can dream up there is a solution.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

Go and read it all

You really are attempting to make mountains out of mole hills when it comes to these international driving permits aren't you Fabio. It's a simple form which costs a fiver.

I remember you mocking someone in the lounge forum some time ago for refusing to pay for a fab membership, you said it was only £5, only a FIVER, and was hardly going to break the bank. Yet here you are moaning about something which will cost the same as a fab membership. Gold membership is £5 for 3 months or silver £5 for 6 months, so you have to renew 4 times a year on gold or 2 times a year on silver membership here, do you moan that is inconvenient for you??? Yet here you are complaining about doing a simple form once a year for a driving permit for Ireland.

As for the 7 million extra forms needed at the post office, another way around that would be to do it all online from the comfort of your own home as you can now do with your road tax. Gone are the days you had to go to the post office to get your road tax, you can just do it online now through the DVLA website, pay the fee online and print out your receipt at home with your own printer. Its also more environmentally friendly and cuts down on the need for paper forms. There is no reason why the same system can't be employed for international driving permits, do it at home online through the DVLA website, pay the £5 fee online and print out the document at home on your own printer. For those who don't have a printer at home it's very easy to use a printer at work or go down to your local library and get a print out there for 20p, which I have done myself in the past when getting my road tax online.

"

Pessimistic whingers don't want to hear about solutions!

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

Go and read it all

"

Lol. One day, Centy, go and do some reading up on the fiasco that was the DLVA IT project. It is pretty much going to replace the London Ambulance Service as the de facto example of an IT project gone wrong in university Computer Science courses.

-Matt

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Go and read it all

Lol. One day, Centy, go and do some reading up on the fiasco that was the DLVA IT project. It is pretty much going to replace the London Ambulance Service as the de facto example of an IT project gone wrong in university Computer Science courses.

-Matt

"

Funny that as I've never had a problem getting my road tax for my car online.

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

Go and read it all

-Matt

Funny that as I've never had a problem getting my road tax for my car online. "

Actually, my bad, it wasn't DVLA, it was VOSA. It was the new computerised MOT system I'm thinking of, not the paperless tax discs (although that project had problems too). The project ran £10M over budget and 3 years late. The end result was rumoured to add something like £6 to the cost of every MOT test.

But in general, my point is, the government don't exactly have a good track record on IT projects. Just look at NPfIT for example in the NHS. So anyone who just thinks "Oh, we can just create an IT system for that" is woefully out of touch. Even if they *did* actually know what they wanted now (which they don't), the chances are they couldn't even complete the tendering process for it before we leave. Oh and just to amuse you, those tenders would have to go out to OJEU as well just like your beloved blue passports

-Matt

By *heislanderMan
over a year ago

cheshunt

Go and read it all

-Matt

Funny that as I've never had a problem getting my road tax for my car online.

Actually, my bad, it wasn't DVLA, it was VOSA. It was the new computerised MOT system I'm thinking of, not the paperless tax discs (although that project had problems too). The project ran £10M over budget and 3 years late. The end result was rumoured to add something like £6 to the cost of every MOT test.

But in general, my point is, the government don't exactly have a good track record on IT projects. Just look at NPfIT for example in the NHS. So anyone who just thinks "Oh, we can just create an IT system for that" is woefully out of touch. Even if they *did* actually know what they wanted now (which they don't), the chances are they couldn't even complete the tendering process for it before we leave. Oh and just to amuse you, those tenders would have to go out to OJEU as well just like your beloved blue passports

-Matt"

I’d change my MOT tester if I was you, maybe the government should hire the “experts “ who worked on the NHS system. How much did that failure cost ?

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

Go and read it all

The difference is we only need 1 IDP - we only need 1 to cover UK. If your driving to Spain via France you need both! "

Nope just the one a IDP covers 140 countries, but hey why let simplethings like facts get in the way, and as for having six months left on passports that will be the same as travelling to most places now, as Im sure you know you just apply and the new passport starts as normal with the end date ten years after the previous one would have

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Next lot of technical notices have been released....

Two words

Not good!

Maybe now heads will finally be knocked together!!!!

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

But the blue passports, Fabio. And the unicorns.

Post new Message to Thread