Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Islamaphobia and Boris Johnson

Jump to newest

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

So the tory party are happy to accept Boris Johnson and spout stupid comments about Muslim Women who wear a veil.

Do you see any attempt by the tories to adopt a policy of against islamaphobia in their party?

Does there need to be a working definition of islamaphobia before it stops.

Your thoughts?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Something stinks in British politics and the honk emanates from the Tory party and the right wing media.

On the day that Islamophobe cheerleader Zac Goldsmith demanded the immediate expulsion of Tory Muslim peer Mohamed Sheikh same peace conference in Tunisia that Jeremy Corbyn there is hardly any coverage. In the same way as JC is continually portrayed as a terrorist sympathiser while Tories sell weapons to Saudis to use to kill children.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Being against a religious organizations and the individuals fwho follow it are two different things.

You can be against those states who use religion to break human rights. It's just wrong to prosecute their followers who use it as faith.

It's like the Catholic conservatives in Latin america using religion to buy the faith of their citizens but then bam gay marriage and abortions in the name of God. You can be scared of the church, but don't generalise all Catholic followers for what their states do.

For example blame pedoephilia on the church, not Catholic people. Blame stoning on the states using Islam, not Muslims who follow the Qur'an. Blame Israel for their atrocities, not the Jewish people who follow their faith.

So I think we can criticise the states who follow Islam and use it to break human rights. Just don't treat Muslims the same way. The difference between islamaphobia and muslim-phobia.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"So the tory party are happy to accept Boris Johnson and spout stupid comments about Muslim Women who wear a veil.

Do you see any attempt by the tories to adopt a policy of against islamaphobia in their party?

Your thoughts?

"

Tony Blair, Jack Straw and Emily Thornberry. Just for balance.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"So the tory party are happy to accept Boris Johnson and spout stupid comments about Muslim Women who wear a veil.

Your thoughts?

Tony Blair, Jack Straw and Emily Thornberry. Just for balance."

Trying to deflect much?

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

Trying to deflect much? "

Isn’t that what both sides are doing ?

As someone with no political alligences it seems we use the *race* card to bounce from tory bashing to labour bashing. Neither side seems to hold its hands up. Both seem to play whataboutary.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

I think we're all far too busy trying to score party political points off of each other and missing the real point.

I personally don't think Jeremy Corbyn is an anti-semite but I definitely think there is, and has been for a very long time, an anti-semite problem in the Labour party. There's also probably quite a large islamophobic problem in a lot of Labour voters.

I personally don't believe Boris Johnson is islamophobic but their is absolutely and definitely an islamophobic problem in the Tory Party. There is also almost definitely an anti semite problem with a lot of Tory voters.

I see nothing wrong with Jeremy Corbyn engaging with extremists if he genuinely believes it might lead to peace (I personally don't believe it will). At the end of the day, if we want peace someone is going to have to talk to them. You only get peace by taking with your enemies.

Too a lesser extent but similarly, I don't really feel that Boris Johnson was wrong to ridicule the wearing of the burqa or niqab. I personally do think that the wearing of the burqa, especially the blue burqa, does make the person wearing it look ridiculous and when something looks ridiculous why shouldn't it be ridiculed?

I think both Boris and Jeremy have handled the accusations of racism pretty badly and, if either of them were the potential statesman they imagine themselves to be they would not have got themselves, their parties or the country into the situation on this matter that they are currently in. But that's what happens when you start following the populist's agenda on either the right or left.

Just my 2 pence worth on the subject.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Your thoughts?

Trying to deflect much?

As someone with no political alligences it seems we use the *race* card to bounce from tory bashing to labour bashing. Neither side seems to hold its hands up. Both seem to play whataboutary. "

I am political and, if anything, more sympathetic to the one nation Conservative ideal but I totally agree with what you say here.

over a year ago

Labour and the tories are representative of their constituents fear and loathing of other cultures.The people get the politicians they deserve.The left and right will change once the zeitgeist changes.Nothing will change quickly or within your lifetimes .

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Your thoughts?

Trying to deflect much?

As someone with no political alligences it seems we use the *race* card to bounce from tory bashing to labour bashing. Neither side seems to hold its hands up. Both seem to play whataboutary. "

I don't think so, Labour had an outsider thoroughly investigate the party and published the findings as well as adopting an internationally recognised definition (If not examples) of anti semitism.

The Tories on the other hand are having an internal disciplinary hearing, and are bitching internally with the person who said Boris was islamaphobic then being attacked as anti-Semitic for an event he attended years ago. If it was anto-semitic then why didn't the party take action at the time? Why only the calls after he spoke out against Boris?

over a year ago

Do you think the Boris reaction would have been the same if there wasn’t an anti Semite story going on ? I think this, plus brexit, made it a bigger reaction for his article.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Do you think the Boris reaction would have been the same if there wasn’t an anti Semite story going on ? I think this, plus brexit, made it a bigger reaction for his article. "

Probably not

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"Do you think the Boris reaction would have been the same if there wasn’t an anti Semite story going on ? I think this, plus brexit, made it a bigger reaction for his article. "

I agree.

over a year ago

I would hope islsmsphobia would be called out regardless of the political climate.

Are we saying we only call it out to make political gain and sweep hate and racism under the carpet at all other times ?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Do you think the Boris reaction would have been the same if there wasn’t an anti Semite story going on ? I think this, plus brexit, made it a bigger reaction for his article.

I would hope islsmsphobia would be called out regardless of the political climate.

Are we saying we only call it out to make political gain and sweep hate and racism under the carpet at all other times ? "

Pretty much

over a year ago

"Do you think the Boris reaction would have been the same if there wasn’t an anti Semite story going on ? I think this, plus brexit, made it a bigger reaction for his article.

Are we saying we only call it out to make political gain and sweep hate and racism under the carpet at all other times ? "

I’m sayin the extent of the reaction is used for political gains. It was a case of very poor taste in humour (imo at least) yet is still going strong. I get the impression the news (and sonthe polictal agenda) is fanning the flames here.

over a year ago

Are we saying we only call it out to make political gain and sweep hate and racism under the carpet at all other times ?

I’m sayin the extent of the reaction is used for political gains. It was a case of very poor taste in humour (imo at least) yet is still going strong. I get the impression the news (and sonthe polictal agenda) is fanning the flames here. "

It's more the straw that broke the camels back.

There's no room left under the carpet to sweep that shit.A little spring cleaning is needed.

over a year ago

No such thing as islamophobia. Im from a Muslim background. All religions should be up front scrutiny.

over a year ago

"No such thing as islamophobia. Im from a Muslim background. All religions should be up front scrutiny."

How about anti Semitism is that imaginary .?

over a year ago

"No such thing as islamophobia. Im from a Muslim background. All religions should be up front scrutiny.

How about anti Semitism is that imaginary .?"

Not sure how you made the link. They have nothing to do with each other. Anti semitism is very real. It's not enough for Corbyn to be non anti semitic (which he isn't anyway), he needs to be and shoe himself to be actively anti anti-Semitism.

over a year ago

"No such thing as islamophobia. Im from a Muslim background. All religions should be up front scrutiny.

Not sure how you made the link. They have nothing to do with each other. Anti semitism is very real. It's not enough for Corbyn to be non anti semitic (which he isn't anyway), he needs to be and shoe himself to be actively anti anti-Semitism."

Islamophobia is the fear, hatred of, or prejudice against, the Islamic religion or Muslims generally.

Anti Semitism.is hostility or prejudice, and discrimination against Jews.

over a year ago

Not sure how you made the link. They have nothing to do with each other. Anti semitism is very real. It's not enough for Corbyn to be non anti semitic (which he isn't anyway), he needs to be and shoe himself to be actively anti anti-Semitism. Islamophobia is the fear, hatred of, or prejudice against, the Islamic religion or Muslims generally.

"

Did I ask for your definitions? Another mansplainer...

And again no such thing as islamophobia. You can't be prejudice against an idea. If you want to talk about being anti Muslim go ahead. In any case it's just the new racism. Brown people are hated by white people regardless of religion. All the label islamophobia does is give more reason to hate brown people while trampling over the racism experienced by non Muslim brown people.

And then within the Muslim community words like islamophobia are used against non conformist Muslims and ex muslims.

Islamophobia as a label is at best unhelpful and at worst dangerous and racist itself.

By your definition one is islamophobic if they hate Isis. Well I hate Isis and if that makes me islamophobic then so be it.

over a year ago

Everyone has a right to hate, be fearful of or reject/criticise any religion. Otherwise what differentiates democracy and any religious theocracy?

over a year ago

How have you got from their definition to one which says hating ISIS makes you islamaphobe ? I can’t see the connection at all.

I think your point is islamophobe is the wrong term to use, not there is no term. Can I ask what the correct term for the Muslim equivalent of anti semifinal is ? Both are religion based so feels like there should be equivalent terms.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Not sure how you made the link. They have nothing to do with each other. Anti semitism is very real. It's not enough for Corbyn to be non anti semitic (which he isn't anyway), he needs to be and shoe himself to be actively anti anti-Semitism. Islamophobia is the fear, hatred of, or prejudice against, the Islamic religion or Muslims generally.

"

Anti semitism is what the internationally recognised definition of the word says it is, not what Jeremy Corbyn makes up in his own head.

over a year ago

You obviously needed a definition other than the one you pulled out your arse.

Much like corbyn trying to redefine anti Semitism .

Also a right to hate isn't free speech it's hate speech .We have laws against this .

You obviously want a new definition of freedom of Speech also to contain the right to hate other races cultures and religions .Good luck with that .

over a year ago

"Everyone has a right to hate, be fearful of or reject/criticise any religion. Otherwise what differentiates democracy and any religious theocracy?"

Yeah all religions are silly. But people have the right to believe anything they want, so long as it’s not used for making any decisions that effect the lives of others. So should be kept well away from politics and state.

The problem is the “hate” part as that often manifests in hating on the people, as is evident in the rise in race hate crime in the uk at the moment.

over a year ago

"You obviously needed a definition other than the one you pulled out your arse.

Also a right to hate isn't free speech it's hate speech .We have laws against this .

You obviously want a new definition of freedom of Speech also to contain the right to hate other races cultures and religions .Good luck with that .

"

I have not mentioned speech. I mentioned fear and hate. You can do those without speech? or actions. I don't like islam. I think it's bs. I don't use it against anyone. that's the difference.

over a year ago

I have not mentioned speech. I mentioned fear and hate. You can do those without speech? or actions. I don't like islam. I think it's bs. I don't use it against anyone. that's the difference."

Freedom of speech means I'm allowed to say religion is bs. Are you against that freedom?

over a year ago

"Everyone has a right to hate, be fearful of or reject/criticise any religion. Otherwise what differentiates democracy and any religious theocracy?

Yeah all religions are silly. But people have the right to believe anything they want, so long as it’s not used for making any decisions that effect the lives of others. So should be kept well away from politics and state.

The problem is the “hate” part as that often manifests in hating on the people, as is evident in the rise in race hate crime in the uk at the moment."

Most people who hate non white people would do it with or without a religion present.

over a year ago

Anti semitism is what the internationally recognised definition of the word says it is, not what Jeremy Corbyn makes up in his own head. "

The internationally recognised definition is and should be open to criticism. Have you read it? Some of it is bonkers.

And how come all of a sudden you’re against this kind of thing.

over a year ago

If you want to have a conversation about being anti Muslim then you need to separate people from a religion. Hate crime against me is wrong. Calling bs on what I believe in is your right. Beating me up because of what i believe makes you racist. I get racial attacks whether I look 'muslim' or not. I can't change my name. I still get discriminated against. Hindus and Sikhs get attacked for looking Muslim, ie brown. White converts to Islam at not the ones under attack or discrimination so the hate is towards the foreigness.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

I have not mentioned speech. I mentioned fear and hate. You can do those without speech? or actions. I don't like islam. I think it's bs. I don't use it against anyone. that's the difference.

Freedom of speech means I'm allowed to say religion is bs. Are you against that freedom?"

There are quite a few so called liberals on here who don't like freedom of speech. Just read the info wars thread to see who the usual suspects are.

over a year ago

Freedom of speech means I'm allowed to say religion is bs. Are you against that freedom?

There are quite a few so called liberals on here who don't like freedom of speech. Just read the info wars thread to see who the usual suspects are. "

Liberals have ruined liberalism. They have more in common with right than left wing.

over a year ago

I'm going to be a good Muslim boy and sit in this corner quietly and enjoy this show .

over a year ago

There are quite a few so called liberals on here who don't like freedom of speech. Just read the info wars thread to see who the usual suspects are.

Liberals have ruined liberalism. They have more in common with right than left wing."

Neo cons have made the word liberal a dirty word . It's part of their alt right agenda just ask those in the forum who supported the KKK marching in Charlottesville and called them good decent people .

over a year ago

Liberals have ruined liberalism. They have more in common with right than left wing.

Neo cons have made the word liberal a dirty word . It's part of their alt right agenda just ask those in the forum who supported the KKK marching in Charlottesville and called them good decent people . "

I encounter more race hate enthusiasts here on Fab than in real life by a large factor. Something about this site that attracts them.

over a year ago

Neo cons have made the word liberal a dirty word . It's part of their alt right agenda just ask those in the forum who supported the KKK marching in Charlottesville and called them good decent people .

I encounter more race hate enthusiasts here on Fab than in real life by a large factor. Something about this site that attracts them."

Oh yes. Plenty of racism on this site.

over a year ago

Freedom of speech means I'm allowed to say religion is bs. Are you against that freedom?"

I'm an atheists all religion is nonsense for me .I am against hatred against religons and those who believe it.Critism is fine but hate leads to violence .

over a year ago

Hey I can hate whatever (and actually whoever, not that I do hate people because for me that's way too much energy for me) i like. That's my right.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I'm an atheists all religion is nonsense for me .I am against hatred against religons and those who believe it.Critism is fine but hate leads to violence .

"

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

This is racism in a nutshell.

over a year ago

"

Excuse me there are plenty of us non conformist and ex muslims who fear Islam because of the reality we face.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Excuse me there are plenty of us non conformist and ex muslims who fear Islam because of the reality we face."

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Love that movie lol

over a year ago

BoJo is from Muslim stock. Really just look up his paternal great grandpa. A Turk with an Islamic name.

On another forum some time ago, I said I thought he would be a good pm, and the old left footers were shouting it from the rooftops. Funny how people are so economical with the truth...

over a year ago

"Hey I can hate whatever (and actually whoever, not that I do hate people because for me that's way too much energy for me) i like. That's my right."

You can and people do but if you hate people because of their race or religion you'll get called out on it and of course hate speech can get you into trouble.Expressions of hatred toward someone on account of that person's colour, race, disability, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, gender identity, or sexual orientation is forbidden under UK law ,regardless of a belief that it is your right.

The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"BoJo is from Muslim stock. Really just look up his paternal great grandpa. A Turk with an Islamic name.

On another forum some time ago, I said I thought he would be a good pm, and the old left footers were shouting it from the rooftops. Funny how people are so economical with the truth..."

So you think that because his grandparent had an islamic name, that makes him not an islamaphobe?

Is that what they refer to as a grandfather clause? pmsl.

I think BJ is am opportunist, but his comments are a reflection of the people which support him. Which is way worst than the stupid comments he said.

Boris exposes the nasty, vile and repugnant underbelly of the majority of tory grassroot supporters.

The problem is can right wing politics remove the discrimination and appeal to the masses.

This is the reason why they will never get landslides victories, because they are seriously un appealling to the masses.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

Sounds like a Yoda STAR WARS quote.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Sounds like a Yoda STAR WARS quote. "

Cenny, did not know you were a fan. Come on empire or rebels

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Cenny, did not know you were a fan. Come on empire or rebels "

I've got a photo on my public pics here wearing a pair of STAR WARS boxer shorts, so i'd say that proves i'm a fan.

In answer to your question, watch this video...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmZm587ew4

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I've got a photo on my public pics here wearing a pair of STAR WARS boxer shorts, so i'd say that proves i'm a fan.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmZm587ew4"

Ah a big fan of google gotcha

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmZm587ew4

Ah a big fan of google gotcha "

No wrong guess.

over a year ago

"Hey I can hate whatever (and actually whoever, not that I do hate people because for me that's way too much energy for me) i like. That's my right.

You can and people do but if you hate people because of their race or religion you'll get called out on it and of course hate speech can get you into trouble.Expressions of hatred toward someone on account of that person's colour, race, disability, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, gender identity, or sexual orientation is forbidden under UK law ,regardless of a belief that it is your right.

The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both."

Wrong. I said I can hate what And who I like. You wouldn't even know. So unless we have thought police scanning our brains I can carry on hating as I please.

And....even if I express I hate islam, you cannot do a thing about it.

By *leasure domMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

All religion is superstition.

A religion is just a cult, with the benefit of tenure.

People are free to believe whatever mumbo jumbo floats their ark, but the notion that religions are entitled to respect or special status is just ludicrous.

By *oyce69Man
over a year ago

Driffield

"Hey I can hate whatever (and actually whoever, not that I do hate people because for me that's way too much energy for me) i like. That's my right.

Wrong. I said I can hate what And who I like. You wouldn't even know. So unless we have thought police scanning our brains I can carry on hating as I please.

And....even if I express I hate islam, you cannot do a thing about it."

Well said.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"All religion is superstition.

People are free to believe whatever mumbo jumbo floats their ark, but the notion that religions are entitled to respect or special status is just ludicrous."

How about sexual orientation? Is that entitled to respect or special status? Race? Trade union membership? Gender?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

"

I posted that on another thread about 2 days ago

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Your thoughts?

"

Questioning the wearing of the niqab or burqua is not Islamabpobia.

Mocking the women whos rights you claim to be defending rather than the men is not Islamaphobia. It's nasty bullying and is taking the opportunity to gain support from people with a deep mistrust of anyone who does not look like themselves.

It slips onto Islamaphobia because it inevitably leads to all Muslims being labelled as mysogynists with a medieval view on women's rights.

So in this case, and in many cases, a definition of Islamiphobia is irrelevant because all Muslims are tarred by association to a tiny minority who's views are geographically not religiously defined.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

And....even if I express I hate islam, you cannot do a thing about it."

Actually, there are several laws

The public order act 1986 part 3 section 18

The criminal justice and public order act 1994 section 4a

The Racial and religious act 2006 part 3A

The Criminal Justice And immigration Act 2008 addtional amendments to 3A.

You can hate all you like, but there are penalties.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

[Removed by poster at 18/08/18 22:10:35]

over a year ago

"

Nope. Literally me saying here that i hate Islam is not a crime.

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

Questioning the wearing of the niqab or burqua is not Islamabpobia.

Mocking the women whos rights you claim to be defending rather than the men is not Islamaphobia. It's nasty bullying and is taking the opportunity to gain support from people with a deep mistrust of anyone who does not look like themselves.

It slips onto Islamaphobia because it inevitably leads to all Muslims being labelled as mysogynists with a medieval view on women's rights.

So in this case, and in many cases, a definition of Islamiphobia is irrelevant because all Muslims are tarred by association to a tiny minority who's views are geographically not religiously defined."

Totally agree.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Your thoughts?

"

A Deltapoll opinion poll out today showed the following....

Boris Johnson's remarks about Burkas were right and he has nothing to apologise for = 36%

Boris Johnson's remarks about Burkas were offensive and he should apologise = 23%

Boris Johnson's remarks about Burkas were over the top and he should apologise, but not for starting a debate on it = 28%

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Your thoughts?

Boris Johnson's remarks about Burkas were right and he has nothing to apologise for = 36%

Boris Johnson's remarks about Burkas were offensive and he should apologise = 23%

Boris Johnson's remarks about Burkas were over the top and he should apologise, but not for starting a debate on it = 28%"

So?

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Nope. Literally me saying here that i hate Islam is not a crime."

And the adherents to Islam, do you hate them also?

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Your thoughts?

Boris Johnson's remarks about Burkas were over the top and he should apologise, but not for starting a debate on it = 28%"

So for him to apologise its 51%?, a larger proportion of the public?

over a year ago

"

Do you hate them?

over a year ago

Do you hate them?"

Can you please all the things And people you hate as this is your logic.

over a year ago

Do you hate them?

Can you please all the things And people you hate as this is your logic."

Do you hate all non white people?

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Do you hate them?

Do you hate all non white people?"

No, never have, never will. I like all people, all walks of life, getting to talk to them, finding out about them, the greatest thing about living in the UK is it has brought diversity. Its a facinating thing. Life is for living, life is too short for hate.

over a year ago

Do you hate them?

No, never have, never will. I like all people, all walks of life, getting to talk to them, finding out about them, the greatest thing about living in the UK is it has brought diversity. Its a facinating thing. Life is for living, life is too short for hate.

"

These were rhetorical questions. I don't care who you hate until your actions affect me. Likewise I don't need you to like me. I just need you treat me with respect. You seem to be a liberal or a left winger, am I right?

over a year ago

Do you hate them?

These were rhetorical questions. I don't care who you hate until your actions affect me. Likewise I don't need you to like me. I just need you treat me with respect. You seem to be a liberal or a left winger, am I right? "

And likewise if your hate affects others.

over a year ago

Do you hate them?

"

Very true. hate eats people from the inside .Its a cancer the poisons you.

It's not pleasant as can be seen it's scars individuals forever.

Hate cannot drive out hate only love

can do that.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Do you hate them?

These were rhetorical questions. I don't care who you hate until your actions affect me. Likewise I don't need you to like me. I just need you treat me with respect. You seem to be a liberal or a left winger, am I right?

And likewise if your hate affects others."

Firstly, Respect has to be earned, demanding it, is not cool, especially with strangers.

As to my politics, I am British, I can choose which parts of the political spectrum I agree with. As to who I vote for that between me and the ballot box

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

I encounter more race hate enthusiasts here on Fab than in real life by a large factor. Something about this site that attracts them."

Try going on the Britain First or EDL sites. You'll find a few more there than here.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's interesting that this narcissistic specimen of sleaze very carefully chooses his words, stirring negativity against Muslims, because his party and members finds this appealing. He's calculating, scheming for his future power grab, without hesitation for the fallout. Very sad that a sizeable number of that patty has this destructive hate basis to them.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"It's interesting that this narcissistic specimen of sleaze very carefully chooses his words, stirring negativity against Muslims, because his party and members finds this appealing. He's calculating, scheming for his future power grab, without hesitation for the fallout. Very sad that a sizeable number of that patty has this destructive hate basis to them."

In all honesty, I think the problem runs far deeper than just the Conservative party.

I'd even go further and say that pretending the problem of islamophobia is a problem exclusively of the right is probably one of the main reasons why we've been so unsuccessful in combating it.

over a year ago

I encounter more race hate enthusiasts here on Fab than in real life by a large factor. Something about this site that attracts them.

Try going on the Britain First or EDL sites. You'll find a few more there than here."

Plenty of BF and EDL leaning types on here already thanks, no need to go looking for them! Haha

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Should Boris apologise then?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Your thoughts?

Boris Johnson's remarks about Burkas were over the top and he should apologise, but not for starting a debate on it = 28%

Centaur;

Should Boris apologise then?"

No, when it comes to this particular poll I'm with the 36% on this, I don't think his remarks were offensive, he was right to say what he did and he shouldn't apologise. When you consider an earlier sky news data poll on the same topic gave a result of 60% said Boris Johnson's remarks were not racist and he shouldn't apologise I think it puts my opinion firmly in the majority.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

No, when it comes to this particular poll I'm with the 36% on this, I don't think his remarks were offensive, he was right to say what he did and he shouldn't apologise. When you consider an earlier sky news data poll on the same topic gave a result of 60% said Boris Johnson's remarks were not racist and he shouldn't apologise I think it puts my opinion firmly in the majority. "

So some responses in the same poll can be accepted because you agree with them, but those you don't agree with are not even though given by the same group of people?

Got it.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

No, when it comes to this particular poll I'm with the 36% on this, I don't think his remarks were offensive, he was right to say what he did and he shouldn't apologise. When you consider an earlier sky news data poll on the same topic gave a result of 60% said Boris Johnson's remarks were not racist and he shouldn't apologise I think it puts my opinion firmly in the majority.

So some responses in the same poll can be accepted because you agree with them, but those you don't agree with are not even though given by the same group of people?

Got it. "

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. I wasn't just referring to one poll, I clearly gave you reference to two separate polls that support my opinion.

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. I wasn't just referring to one poll, I clearly gave you reference to two separate polls that support my opinion. "

48% in the sky poll said he should not apologies.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. I wasn't just referring to one poll, I clearly gave you reference to two separate polls that support my opinion.

48% in the sky poll said he should not apologies. "

Which still puts me in the majority as only 45% said he should apologise in the sky poll.

60% said his remarks were not racist.

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

48% in the sky poll said he should not apologies.

Which still puts me in the majority as only 45% said he should apologise in the sky poll.

60% said his remarks were not racist. "

given the self selection of the nature of the poll, and the sample size, I’d not be as confident as you. The meta analysis also suggests minority.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. I wasn't just referring to one poll, I clearly gave you reference to two separate polls that support my opinion. "

You did, but disagreed with the poll that you posted to support your position and moved to another one.

Just seems odd.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

You did, but disagreed with the poll that you posted to support your position and moved to another one.

Just seems odd."

You seem to find a lot of things odd. Maybe it's just the way you look at and interpret things. I didn't disagree with the first poll, I said I agreed with the 36%. I didn't 'move' to another poll (you imply I was ignoring the first one by mentioning another). I referred to the 2nd poll to back up what the first poll said.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

Liberals have ruined liberalism. They have more in common with right than left wing."

Liberalism is, and always has been a centre right ideology. It is only in the USA that it is used to describe "the left" ("left wing" American politicians are pretty right wing by European standards). The left describe themselves as such here. Socialist, Social Democrat etc etc.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

People are free to believe whatever mumbo jumbo floats their ark, but the notion that religions are entitled to respect or special status is just ludicrous."

I agree, were it purely intellectual, but the problem is, it isn't.

The right constantly strive to racialise religious identity so that persecution of a particular culture can be justified.

I'm an antitheistic atheist and it pains me to constantly have to defend people who follow religions I abhor because they are being scapegoated by the right. I can differentiate between the political organisation of any given religion (eg the church) from it's followers (eg Christians), who may do so for any number of cultural reasons.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

Just seems odd.

You seem to find a lot of things odd. Maybe it's just the way you look at and interpret things. I didn't disagree with the first poll, I said I agreed with the 36%. I didn't 'move' to another poll (you imply I was ignoring the first one by mentioning another). I referred to the 2nd poll to back up what the first poll said. "

What's odd, to me, is that you quoted a poll in which the minority agreed with your position.

That is odd, isn't it? The second poll does not back-up the first one. It draws a different conclusion.

It also creates states that 45% think he should apologise and 48% think he shouldn't although 60% think that his comment wasn't racist. How does that work?

There's a demographic divergence again too:

18 to 34-year-olds think Mr Johnson should apologise by 58% to 37%, while those aged 55 and older think he should not by 58% to 31%.

Incidentally, I have no problem discussing the wearing of full face veils. I find it discourteous and a barrier to communication. I certainly disagree if it is imposed on women.

If women choose to wear it that's up to them.

I think that it's completely inappropriate to mock women who may be forced to where these garments and implicitly approving of them being bullied or assaulted on public.

You seem indifferent or even gleeful at that prospect. I find that odd.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

People are free to believe whatever mumbo jumbo floats their ark, but the notion that religions are entitled to respect or special status is just ludicrous.

I agree, were it purely intellectual, but the problem is, it isn't.

The right constantly strive to racialise religious identity so that persecution of a particular culture can be justified.

I'm an antitheistic atheist and it pains me to constantly have to defend people who follow religions I abhor because they are being scapegoated by the right. I can differentiate between the political organisation of any given religion (eg the church) from it's followers (eg Christians), who may do so for any number of cultural reasons. "

It's almost like you're treating them like actual people

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

Just seems odd.

You seem to find a lot of things odd. Maybe it's just the way you look at and interpret things. I didn't disagree with the first poll, I said I agreed with the 36%. I didn't 'move' to another poll (you imply I was ignoring the first one by mentioning another). I referred to the 2nd poll to back up what the first poll said.

What's odd, to me, is that you quoted a poll in which the minority agreed with your position.

That is odd, isn't it? The second poll does not back-up the first one. It draws a different conclusion.

It also creates states that 45% think he should apologise and 48% think he shouldn't although 60% think that his comment wasn't racist. How does that work?

18 to 34-year-olds think Mr Johnson should apologise by 58% to 37%, while those aged 55 and older think he should not by 58% to 31%.

Incidentally, I have no problem discussing the wearing of full face veils. I find it discourteous and a barrier to communication. I certainly disagree if it is imposed on women.

I think that it's completely inappropriate to mock women who may be forced to where these garments and implicitly approving of them being bullied or assaulted on public.

You seem indifferent or even gleeful at that prospect. I find that odd."

What is odd is that you seem to think 36% is lower than 23% or 28%. There were 3 options in the poll not 2 so it's unreasonable to combine the 23 with the 28, therefore the option with 36% is the highest. The 2nd poll does back up the first poll as 48% is higher than the 45%. The 60% statistic gives a huge majority even when you factor in a big margin of error.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

Just seems odd.

What is odd is that you seem to think 36% is lower than 23% or 28%. There were 3 options in the poll not 2 so it's unreasonable to combine the 23 with the 28, therefore the option with 36% is the highest. The 2nd poll does back up the first poll as 48% is higher than the 45%. The 60% statistic gives a huge majority even when you factor in a big margin of error. "

We will step through slowly:

23+28=51% who think that he should apologise in the first poll. Not your position. This poll asked if he was right to bring up the topic of face veils.

60% think he did not say something racist but 45% think that he should apologise. That means that 12% think that he was not being racist but should apologise, which is odd no?

Any opinion on the demographic breakdown?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

Just seems odd.

What is odd is that you seem to think 36% is lower than 23% or 28%. There were 3 options in the poll not 2 so it's unreasonable to combine the 23 with the 28, therefore the option with 36% is the highest. The 2nd poll does back up the first poll as 48% is higher than the 45%. The 60% statistic gives a huge majority even when you factor in a big margin of error.

23+28=51% who think that he should apologise in the first poll. Not your position. This poll asked if he was right to bring up the topic of face veils.

60% think he did not say something racist but 45% think that he should apologise. That means that 12% think that he was not being racist but should apologise, which is odd no?

Any opinion on the demographic breakdown?"

As already pointed out the 23% and the 28% were two separate options so it's unreasonable to add them together. You seem to be a very unreasonable person though so I'm not at all surprised that's exactly what you've just done. When taken as 3 separate options as the poll shows the 36% is the highest.

2nd poll.... A majority 48% think he should not apologise. A lower 45% think he should apologise.

A massive 60% think what he said wasn't racist. There is nothing odd about it.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

Just seems odd.

Any opinion on the demographic breakdown?

As already pointed out the 23% and the 28% were two separate options so it's unreasonable to add them together. You seem to be a very unreasonable person though so I'm not at all surprised that's exactly what you've just done. When taken as 3 separate options as the poll shows the 36% is the highest.

2nd poll.... A majority 48% think he should not apologise. A lower 45% think he should apologise.

A massive 60% think what he said wasn't racist. There is nothing odd about it. "

This is the Deltapoll question and responses from their website:

You may have seen or heard that Boris

Johnson recently spoke about Muslim

women wearing burkas "look like

letter boxes" and comparing them to

"bank robbers". Which one of the

following do you most agree with?

Don't know = 12%

You still think that it's unreasonable to conclude that 51% think that he should apologise? You feel that this supports your view that he should not apologise?

For me, that is odd. You don't think so.

I'm not debating the results of the second poll that you quote.

I am merely pointing out that it is a strange position to have for 12% of those polled. Doing nothing wrong but expecting him to apologise for it. Do you not agree?

Still no opinion on the demographics of this as well?

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Cenny has made his position quite clear.

His views represent the minority view, as he mentioned.

That Boris should not apologise.

Whilst most of the posters disagree with him and accept the majoirty view that he should at least apologise.

Being as such, if democracy values hold true, then majority wins on verdict.

Boris should apologise.

As to a disiplinary by his own party. The tories lost their backbone a long time ago, if they did anything to the shaggy one the party may split.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Cenny has made his position quite clear.

Whilst most of the posters disagree with him and accept the majoirty view that he should at least apologise.

Boris should apologise.

As to a disiplinary by his own party. The tories lost their backbone a long time ago, if they did anything to the shaggy one the party may split. "

Looking at the 2 polls together it's clear a majority think he should not apologise.

over a year ago

Boris should apologise.

As to a disiplinary by his own party. The tories lost their backbone a long time ago, if they did anything to the shaggy one the party may split.

Looking at the 2 polls together it's clear a majority think he should not apologise. "

Given all the above I really struggle to see how you get to this conclusion without adding in the condition of if he’s a racist or not.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Your thoughts?

Centaur;

Got it.

Just seems odd.

You seem indifferent or even gleeful at that prospect. I find that odd."

Maybe I can clarify the 60% not racist 45% he should apologise. I'm part of that 5%. I don't think what he said was racist, although I can see that the comments would appeal to people who are. If he thinks something looks ridiculous he should be free to say so. However if as a result of his comments some racist people thinks this gives the a license to abuse others then he should apologise for that.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Boris should apologise.

Looking at the 2 polls together it's clear a majority think he should not apologise. "

Surly, if he's done something he now feels was wrong he should apologise and if he doesn't feel he was wrong then he shouldn't. What difference does it make how many others think either way.

The fact that he hasn't apologised says to me that he feels he's done nothing wrong so, even if 98% felt he should apologise and forced him to do so, it would be a worthless apology as it would not be genuine.

Unfortunately, because BoJo isn't really the great, Churchillian states man he dreams to be, instead of starting a debate on the wearing of burkas etc. he's started a row over whether the Conservative party is islamophobic or not.

By *airy_HettyWoman
over a year ago

Greater London

Vile man in a vile party

over a year ago

"Being against a religious organizations and the individuals fwho follow it are two different things.

You can be against those states who use religion to break human rights. It's just wrong to prosecute their followers who use it as faith.

It's like the Catholic conservatives in Latin america using religion to buy the faith of their citizens but then bam gay marriage and abortions in the name of God. You can be scared of the church, but don't generalise all Catholic followers for what their states do.

For example blame pedoephilia on the church, not Catholic people. Blame stoning on the states using Islam, not Muslims who follow the Qur'an. Blame Israel for their atrocities, not the Jewish people who follow their faith.

So I think we can criticise the states who follow Islam and use it to break human rights. Just don't treat Muslims the same way. The difference between islamaphobia and muslim-phobia."

This.

I think we have to just step back and appreciate that we as a country might have had more successes in fighting religious zealouts and their backward traditions. It's not to say that there isn't people fighting this shit wherever it's going on.

And right now, in America, there are Christians trying to claw back on hard-fought freedoms (imagine President Pence).

I think societies founded on religious values are pretty dystopian, but I'm not going to blame all Muslims because they happen to live in places whose governments can get away with more violent shit than ours can. Maybe give those people who are actually fighting it more of a voice instead of whiteknighting?

And focusing too much on what they do might only be lowering the bar for ourselves.

over a year ago

EDGY JOKE THAT SOME PEOPLE MIGHT FIND OFFENSIVE WARNING:

Did all them top secret government dossiers get posted to a random Muslim woman then?

Shit, that'll get some conspiracy theories going.

Post new Message to Thread