Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Bonkers Boris

Jump to newest

By *ary_Argyll OP   Man
over a year ago

Argyll

Is it OK for Bojo to make a joke about post boxes?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

At least he's consistent.....

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Yes it is fine people should be so touchy,it is just Boris being Boris,why make such a fuss over a silly comment

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Yes it is fine people should be so touchy,it is just Boris being Boris,why make such a fuss over a silly comment"

Indeed, he is obviously using a dog whistle to inflame Islamophobes. It's not like JC saying Israel is not the Jewish people and Israel should be subject to the same standards as the rest of the world.

JC is a racist, Boris is just being Boris (Fat Blond Aryan Male)...

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

He should be suspended from the party, the man should be ashamed of himself.

over a year ago

"Yes it is fine people should be so touchy,it is just Boris being Boris,why make such a fuss over a silly comment"

I find it very worrying that someone with power and influence who has been elected to parliament is in fact racist.

Bigotry and ignorance should have no part in public life and government

By *rench letterCouple
over a year ago

Chorley,

Boris is a racist moron like Farage.

over a year ago

Imo it’s misjudged and crude *humour*. I’d hope for more from a politician and journalist.

I’m more annoyed at the idea he feels he has the entitlement to tell someone to take off anything when they come to see him. Especially as he was berating the oppression he sees them as existing under.

over a year ago

"Is it OK for Bojo to make a joke about post boxes?"

No. I find it highly offensive and incredibly racist. He should apologise unreservedly for such a crude and insulting comparison. Why does anyone feel it is ok to publicly degrade a postbox

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Yes it is fine people should be so touchy,it is just Boris being Boris,why make such a fuss over a silly comment

I find it very worrying that someone with power and influence who has been elected to parliament is in fact racist.

Bigotry and ignorance should have no part in public life and government "

And he was chosen to be foreign Secretary

over a year ago

I'm old school

Love thy neighbour

On the buses

Worse things to worry about

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

He's dangerous and a liability. Needs to be kept out of public life and influence.

By *heislanderMan
over a year ago

cheshunt

It depends on what people think is offensive, we’ve all got different opinions. I was once asked to move my car from outside a mosque because someone found my dog offensive, I was told it was a dirty animal. That person was entitled to their opinion, I didn’t move cause I was parked on a public road. I think we should all be allowed to express our opinions, we won’t all agree but the great thing about this country is freedom. Despite his joke about post boxes he said full-face veils should not be banned.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

The joke about Muslim women suffering a high ratio of eye injuries from having letters pushed into their face is years old.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Is it OK for Bojo to make a joke about post boxes?

It depends on what people think is offensive, we’ve all got different opinions. I was once asked to move my car from outside a mosque because someone found my dog offensive, I was told it was a dirty animal. That person was entitled to their opinion, I didn’t move cause I was parked on a public road. I think we should all be allowed to express our opinions, we won’t all agree but the great thing about this country is freedom. Despite his joke about post boxes he said full-face veils should not be banned."

Thank heavens you didn't have a pig in your car, lol.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Boris is a racist moron like Farage. "

How can he be racist? Islam is not a race it's a religion.

By *heislanderMan
over a year ago

cheshunt

It depends on what people think is offensive, we’ve all got different opinions. I was once asked to move my car from outside a mosque because someone found my dog offensive, I was told it was a dirty animal. That person was entitled to their opinion, I didn’t move cause I was parked on a public road. I think we should all be allowed to express our opinions, we won’t all agree but the great thing about this country is freedom. Despite his joke about post boxes he said full-face veils should not be banned.

Thank heavens you didn't have a pig in your car, lol. "

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Don't worry, it's just a matter of time before Jeremy Corbyn makes a joke about Jews having hankies on their heads.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Don't worry, it's just a matter of time before Jeremy Corbyn makes a joke about Jews having hankies on their heads. "

But Corbyn hasn't said anything of the sort, and Boris has, so what should be done about it? You make plenty of hay about antisemitism in Labour, yet are unsurprisingly quiet on islamapbia in the Tory party.

over a year ago

It's ok to hate muslims today i.Just ask the far right in the forums.If Its ok for a foreign secretary to say something idlsmsphobic it gives s green light to anyone else .It was the sane in Germany in 1933.

It will begin with what they perceive is fair game As in muslims.Thsn move onto other cultures.

The usual suspects in here who defended the kkk in Charlottesville will feel empowered by boris.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"It's ok to hate muslims today i.Just ask the far right in the forums.If Its ok for a foreign secretary to say something idlsmsphobic it gives s green light to anyone else .It was the sane in Germany in 1933.

It will begin with what they perceive is fair game As in muslims.Thsn move onto other cultures.

The usual suspects in here who defended the kkk in Charlottesville will feel empowered by boris. "

Boris isn't the foreign secretary anymore if you remember or are you just trying to stir up racial tension as usual!

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"It's ok to hate muslims today i.Just ask the far right in the forums.If Its ok for a foreign secretary to say something idlsmsphobic it gives s green light to anyone else .It was the sane in Germany in 1933.

The usual suspects in here who defended the kkk in Charlottesville will feel empowered by boris.

Boris isn't the foreign secretary anymore if you remember or are you just trying to stir up racial tension as usual! "

Baroness Warsi says that's what Boris is trying to do. She is a Muslim woman in the same party as him and she can stand out and say what he said was wrong, so why can't people on here?

over a year ago

Boris isn't the foreign secretary anymore if you remember or are you just trying to stir up racial tension as usual! "

As usual you only try to sweep it under the carpet .Keep it up. i

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

The usual suspects in here who defended the kkk in Charlottesville will feel empowered by boris. "

Why do you believe hating muslims, or any other form of racism is purely for the "far right" I've met plenty of labour party members and unionists who are racist islamaphobes.

over a year ago

Why do you believe hating muslims, or any other form of racism is purely for the "far right" I've met plenty of labour party members and unionists who are racist islamaphobes."

The most active online are the alt right.No doubt hating muslims as has been demonstrated in this forum isn't only a right wing thing.However political islmaphobia is rarely seen on the left and often seen on the right as boris has proved.

Of course we must remember anti Semitism is a thing of the left .

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Why do you believe hating muslims, or any other form of racism is purely for the "far right" I've met plenty of labour party members and unionists who are racist islamaphobes.

The most active online are the alt right.No doubt hating muslims as has been demonstrated in this forum isn't only a right wing thing.However political islmaphobia is rarely seen on the left and often seen on the right as boris has proved.

Of course we must remember anti Semitism is a thing of the left . "

So do liberals hate Christians?

over a year ago

So do liberals hate Christians?"

I've never thought about it .They do sometimes suffer from a self loathing complex of sorts.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

I've never thought about it .They do sometimes suffer from a self loathing complex of sorts."

Agreed. I often feel sorry for white, Anglican, English, affluent liberals. The guilt must be such a burden.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

It's good to see members of his own party are calling for him to be thrown out of the party

over a year ago

I've never thought about it .They do sometimes suffer from a self loathing complex of sorts.

Agreed. I often feel sorry for white, Anglican, English, affluent liberals. The guilt must be such a burden. "

Of course the term self hating liberal is used by the the right to explain why an affluent white Person helps or promotes LGBT issues or black and ethnic issues.The right believe they do this because they hate their white privileged status and themselves .It is often in reality because they want to help people.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Agreed. I often feel sorry for white, Anglican, English, affluent liberals. The guilt must be such a burden.

Of course the term self hating liberal is used by the the right to explain why an affluent white Person helps or promotes LGBT issues or black and ethnic issues.The right believe they do this because they hate their white privileged status and themselves .It is often in reality because they want to help people. "

To alleviate the guilt i guess.

over a year ago

I don't mind that he has brought up that liberal democracies in other W.European nations have banned the burka (but not other less extreme forms of cultural garb) and that given we do sadly have a segment of the Muslim community which doesn't want to adapt and conform to Western standards of conduct, maybe we need to have a discussion about why these individuals will not assimilate.

That said, that discussion has to be articulate, and done with evidence and collected information - not crudely, calling a cultural grab a 'postbox', and not in an arena where there are opinion pieces, not discussions and debates.

over a year ago

Of course the term self hating liberal is used by the the right to explain why an affluent white Person helps or promotes LGBT issues or black and ethnic issues.The right believe they do this because they hate their white privileged status and themselves .It is often in reality because they want to help people.

To alleviate the guilt i guess. "

Yes this would be true if that is what you wish to be true.That humans who help others hate themselves .

over a year ago

To alleviate the guilt i guess. "

Yes this would be true if that is what you wish to be true.That humans who help others hate themselves .

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Anyway. So why not let women dress as women and ban the burqa?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I don't mind that he has brought up that liberal democracies in other W.European nations have banned the burka (but not other less extreme forms of cultural garb) and that given we do sadly have a segment of the Muslim community which doesn't want to adapt and conform to Western standards of conduct, maybe we need to have a discussion about why these individuals will not assimilate.

That said, that discussion has to be articulate, and done with evidence and collected information - not crudely, calling a cultural grab a 'postbox', and not in an arena where there are opinion pieces, not discussions and debates.

"

What would concern me is the possibility of increased acid attacks if these poor women were allowed to dress as modern, empowered women of the 21st century.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Why would they be attacked with acid tho ?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Why would they be attacked with acid tho ?"

Probably some kind of fucked up honour based thing i expect.

over a year ago

"Why would they be attacked with acid tho ?"
Good question ,the answer was poor though.A thinly veiled attempt to attribute acid attacks to the Muslim community.Would be my guess.. So here's something from the BBC .

"There is a common misunderstanding of acid attacks in the UK that goes something like this: the attacker is male; the victim female. Both are South Asian, and the violence has something to do with the man’s so-called ‘honour'.

But the most comprehensive set of data yet on acid attacks in London paints a different picture.

Statistics released by London’s Metropolitan Police to the BBC provide a breakdown of every recorded acid attack over a 15-year period by age, gender, ethnicity, borough, hate crime and outcome. It’s the fullest picture yet of the capital’s suspects and victims.

The findings include:

The suspect was male 74% of the time and victim was male 67% of the time

Just 6% of suspects were Asian

Only one so-called ‘honour’ attack was recorded in 15 years

Four out of five violent offences never reached trial."

The truth is out there if your confirmation bias allows .

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"Why would they be attacked with acid tho ? Good question ,the answer was poor though.A thinly veiled attempt to attribute acid attacks to the Muslim community.Would be my guess.. So here's something from the BBC .

"There is a common misunderstanding of acid attacks in the UK that goes something like this: the attacker is male; the victim female. Both are South Asian, and the violence has something to do with the man’s so-called ‘honour'.

But the most comprehensive set of data yet on acid attacks in London paints a different picture.

Statistics released by London’s Metropolitan Police to the BBC provide a breakdown of every recorded acid attack over a 15-year period by age, gender, ethnicity, borough, hate crime and outcome. It’s the fullest picture yet of the capital’s suspects and victims.

The findings include:

The truth is out there if your confirmation bias allows . "

And now produce the statistics for the last 15 months.

over a year ago

"Why would they be attacked with acid tho ? Good question ,the answer was poor though.A thinly veiled attempt to attribute acid attacks to the Muslim community.Would be my guess.. So here's something from the BBC .

The findings include:

The truth is out there if your confirmation bias allows .

And now produce the statistics for the last 15 months. "

Actually Andy it's your responsibility to challenge the last 15 years of statistics the metropolitan police force have collected . It might not fit your agenda Andy but if you can prove the the metropolitan police force wrong you go ahead son and try .

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Well here's the truth:

It's perpetrated by Muslim men carrying out "honour"/family dispute related attacks.

And it's carried out by gang members, mainly young and black, against other gang members, as revenge attacks.

And sometimes innocent bystanders get caught in the cross-fire, such as Joanne Rand.

And statistics mean nothing. You have to look behind the statistics.

Take the Rand case. They will show that a middle aged, white, professional female was killed in an unprovoked attack by a black youth.

The truth is that she just got caught up in the cross-fire.

over a year ago

"Well here's the truth:

It's perpetrated by Muslim men carrying out "honour"/family dispute related attacks.

And it's carried out by gang members, mainly young and black, against other gang members, as revenge attacks.

And sometimes innocent bystanders get caught in the cross-fire, such as Joanne Rand.

Take the Rand case. They will show that a middle aged, white, professional female was killed in an unprovoked attack by a black youth.

"

No Andy I said stats that back up that it's a predominate Muslim thing or south Asian crime .Not the opinion of done random geezer on a swinger site .

You are a silly man if you bake assertions yet can't produce statistics to back up your ridiculous claims .

Be like bob i used the metropolitan police force as evidence .

Come on Andy you can do better than Empty rhetoric .

Only 6% of acid attacks are done by south Asians Facts don't lie

over a year ago

"Well here's the truth:

"

Your levels of oh ignorance are astounding.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

So that's not what happened in Worcester, or to Joanne Rand, all in the last few months then?

The media mis-reported it.

In the Worcester, a white, public school and Oxbridge educated Barrister got out of his Bentley and threw a container of acid, that he had conveniently placed in the boot of a 3 year old child, because the child's screaming was ruining his enjoyment at the traffic lights of Bach's organ sonata.

And in the 2nd case, a white, old-aged pensioner who often appears as a television presenter on popular light-entertainment programmes,and lives in the Home Counties, was standing at the bus stop, and saw a young black youth who was sloppily dressed with dirty trousers and shoes that had not been polished, so she took a bottle of acid from her Mulberry handbag and threw it all over him.

That is what the press failed to report is it?

over a year ago

"Well here's the truth:

Your levels of oh ignorance are astounding. "

Infinite ignorance of facts never stopped anyone creating an alternate reality.That support their ridiculous position .

Still it's entertainment of sorts .Kippers I've noticed flap around when caught

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

So who were the attackers in Worcester and in the Rand case then?

Tell me.

over a year ago

Can I use the same arguement if I say something harmful to CD s ?? Ooohhh I am just being silly old me !!!

His statement was aimed at the rasist elements of the Tory party to suck up to them. Pure and simple self advertising! @!

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

But who disagrees with him?

over a year ago

"Yes it is fine people should be so touchy,it is just Boris being Boris,why make such a fuss over a silly comment

Can I use the same arguement if I say something harmful to CD s ?? Ooohhh I am just being silly old me !!!

His statement was aimed at the rasist elements of the Tory party to suck up to them. Pure and simple self advertising! @!"

Right it was calculated, wants to take some support from UKIP voters

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

Boris isn't the foreign secretary anymore if you remember or are you just trying to stir up racial tension as usual!

Baroness Warsi says that's what Boris is trying to do. She is a Muslim woman in the same party as him and she can stand out and say what he said was wrong, so why can't people on here? "

I notice the Baroness doesn't wear a burkha it would be interesting to know why! Unless she saves it for special occasions!

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

As usual you only try to sweep it under the carpet .Keep it up. i "

Highly unlikely to be swept under the carpet with you around Bob, you are a bit like Guy Fawkes always trying to light a fuse. Fortunately there are others about to put it out before it goes bang!

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

A stunt to keep people talking about him, to pander to the more intolerant wing of the Conservative Party by insulting their pet hate - women of colour and religion - while feigning liberal values.

Risible. The man is a phoney. Even more so when you consider the “colleague” and “sources close to” now being quoted in defiance of the criticism is Johnson himself.

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

Baroness Warsi says that's what Boris is trying to do. She is a Muslim woman in the same party as him and she can stand out and say what he said was wrong, so why can't people on here?

I notice the Baroness doesn't wear a burkha it would be interesting to know why! Unless she saves it for special occasions! "

She seems to believe that it's a woman's right to choose what she wears......

The numbers of muslim women wearing burkas in the UK is a tiny percentage of the total muslim population

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

"A stunt to keep people talking about him, to pander to the more intolerant wing of the Conservative Party by insulting their pet hate - women of colour and religion - while feigning liberal values.

Risible. The man is a phoney. Even more so when you consider the “colleague” and “sources close to” now being quoted in defiance of the criticism is Johnson himself."

Johnson's only interest is obtaining power. He's almost as revolting a human as Farage

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

I notice the Baroness doesn't wear a burkha it would be interesting to know why! Unless she saves it for special occasions!

She seems to believe that it's a woman's right to choose what she wears......

The numbers of muslim women wearing burkas in the UK is a tiny percentage of the total muslim population"

But is it the women's husband/ family choosing for her, one has to ask!

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

His statement was aimed at the rasist elements of the Tory party to suck up to them. Pure and simple self advertising! @!"

I think you need to look up the definition of racism. Islam is not a race it's a religion so therefore what Boris said cannot be deemed racist. The Burka is a religious garment it has nothing to do with race.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

But is it the women's husband/ family choosing for her, one has to ask! "

Have you asked a woman why she wears the clothes she wears?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I think you need to look up the definition of racism. Islam is not a race it's a religion so therefore what Boris said cannot be deemed racist. The Burka is a religious garment it has nothing to do with race. "

don't take this the wrong way.... that is spoken like a white man!!!

so here is the "rule of thumb" i tend to use on matters such as this:

if, let say, a group of people are offended by a remark or a comparison that is made in their direction, the likelyhood is that it is offensive!

now... "you" as the giver of said remark don't get to choose if it perceived are offensive or now... the people who the remark is aimed at are the people who get to decide that.......

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"

"

Why are you going to tell me!

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I think you need to look up the definition of racism. Islam is not a race it's a religion so therefore what Boris said cannot be deemed racist. The Burka is a religious garment it has nothing to do with race. "

Have you forgotten "bongo bongo lane" or starting to quote Kipling's Mandalay in Myanmar?

but you are right Islam is not a race, so that makes BoJo a racist bigot.

Happy now?

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"

"

No women I know would wear a burkha out of choice!

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

No women I know would wear a burkha out of choice! "

So you do not know anyone who wears a burka, nor have asked them why?

Where does your opinion come from them?

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"

No women I know would wear a burkha out of choice!

So you do not know anyone who wears a burka, nor have asked them why?

Where does your opinion come from them?"

Probably the same place as yours!

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I have no desire to restrict anyone's right to choose.

There are lots of different clothes and styles that I would never wear.

But I would never argue that because it is not my style, no-one else should be allowed to wear it.

Neither would I insult or mock women who do wear that style in the columns of the Daily Telegraph.

No-one wearing a burka has ever done me any harm.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

I think you need to look up the definition of racism. Islam is not a race it's a religion so therefore what Boris said cannot be deemed racist. The Burka is a religious garment it has nothing to do with race.

don't take this the wrong way.... that is spoken like a white man!!!

so here is the "rule of thumb" i tend to use on matters such as this:

if, let say, a group of people are offended by a remark or a comparison that is made in their direction, the likelyhood is that it is offensive!

now... "you" as the giver of said remark don't get to choose if it perceived are offensive or now... the people who the remark is aimed at are the people who get to decide that......."

That still doesn't make it racist Fabio. You do realise that white men and white women can be Muslim and that some white Muslim women wear the Burka. I can even give you an example of one who was a headline news story. Her name was Sally Jones, nicknamed the white widow.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"I have no desire to restrict anyone's right to choose.

There are lots of different clothes and styles that I would never wear.

But I would never argue that because it is not my style, no-one else should be allowed to wear it.

Neither would I insult or mock women who do wear that style in the columns of the Daily Telegraph.

No-one wearing a burka has ever done me any harm.

"

I thought you were going to say you had asked a burkha wearing women, I would have been interested in the response especially if you were in full regalia when asking!

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

The state forcing women to disrobe is the other side of the same coin that the state forces them to wear a veil on other countries.

Women should be allowed to choose what they wear.

over a year ago

The Oxford dictionary definition of racism makes little difference now a days when it comes to remarks like this.

Any form of mockery of a person's religious views / followings is widely considered a form of Racism now.

Imagine if Corbyn had made fun or belittled the hair or cap of a Jew ?

over a year ago

"So who were the attackers in Worcester and in the Rand case then?

Tell me. "

the news is not evidence of statistical significance. In fact the news tends to reflect either a) the abnormal or b) the opinion of its audiance.

Who is more likely to spark two people out in a fight. A cricketer. Or a bouncer. Current news would lead me to conclude it’s the former.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Indeed, he is obviously using a dog whistle to inflame Islamophobes. It's not like JC saying Israel is not the Jewish people and Israel should be subject to the same standards as the rest of the world.

JC is a racist, Boris is just being Boris (Fat Blond Aryan Male)... "

Glsd to see you can see the funny side of it,yes as a government minister he should be carefull what he says in public but trying to make an issue of it is crazy.He should apologise to keep the racist PC brigade quiet

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"The Oxford dictionary definition of racism makes little difference now a days when it comes to remarks like this.

Any form of mockery of a person's religious views / followings is widely considered a form of Racism now.

Imagine if Corbyn had made fun or belittled the hair or cap of a Jew ? "

Corbyn would not know how to make a joke.Bring the comedians back on telly,bring back Love thy neighbour,lets all lighten up

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

Glsd to see you can see the funny side of it,yes as a government minister he should be carefull what he says in public but trying to make an issue of it is crazy.He should apologise to keep the racist PC brigade quiet"

The reality is that people in positions of leadership really ought to think carefully about the impact of their comments.

We saw a spike in race-hate crimes immediately after the referendum when the ignorant hotheads felt emboldened to go after those they blamed for their shitty lives.

Now we have someone tipped to be a Prime Minister openly mocking a minority and comparing them to criminals, just because of their clothing.

Criminals.

The lady who gets on a bus wearing a burka and finds a dozen d*unken football thugs already on board is most unlikely to find it funny.

And every time a woman is robbed of her headwear by some yob, her dignity is completely degraded.

That's not political correctness - that is the reality of life in Britain when it is led by demagogues hellbent on power whatever the cost to others.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"

Glsd to see you can see the funny side of it,yes as a government minister he should be carefull what he says in public but trying to make an issue of it is crazy.He should apologise to keep the racist PC brigade quiet

The reality is that people in positions of leadership really ought to think carefully about the impact of their comments.

We saw a spike in race-hate crimes immediately after the referendum when the ignorant hotheads felt emboldened to go after those they blamed for their shitty lives.

Now we have someone tipped to be a Prime Minister openly mocking a minority and comparing them to criminals, just because of their clothing.

Criminals.

The lady who gets on a bus wearing a burka and finds a dozen d*unken football thugs already on board is most unlikely to find it funny.

And every time a woman is robbed of her headwear by some yob, her dignity is completely degraded.

That's not political correctness - that is the reality of life in Britain when it is led by demagogues hellbent on power whatever the cost to others.

"

A good post Sara

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Criminals.

"

this and well said..

listening to the lady Doctor after the attack in Manchester recounting that when her surgeon husband got back home after going in off duty and doing 15 hours in theatre she had to tell him she was ok despite some thug having spat at her in traffic calling her a dirty murdering muslim made me ashamed, disgusted and angry at the vile behaviour of some..

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Tell me. the news is not evidence of statistical significance. In fact the news tends to reflect either a) the abnormal or b) the opinion of its audiance.

Who is more likely to spark two people out in a fight. A cricketer. Or a bouncer. Current news would lead me to conclude it’s the former. "

Seeing as you bring up the subject of statistics, a sky news data poll on the subject of the thread gave the following results....

1. Is it racist to describe women in Burkas as letterboxes or bank robbers?

Yes 33%

No 60%

2. Should the Burka be banned in the UK?

Yes 59%

No 26%

3. Should Boris Johnson apologise?

Yes 45%

No 48%

So the sky data poll results show that Boris is more in touch with the British publics opinion on these matters and the public back Boris.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Tell me. the news is not evidence of statistical significance. In fact the news tends to reflect either a) the abnormal or b) the opinion of its audiance.

Who is more likely to spark two people out in a fight. A cricketer. Or a bouncer. Current news would lead me to conclude it’s the former.

Seeing as you bring up the subject of statistics, a sky news data poll on the subject of the thread gave the following results....

Yes 33%

No 60%

Yes 59%

No 26%

Yes 45%

No 48%

So the sky data poll results show that Boris is more in touch with the British publics opinion on these matters and the public back Boris. "

How was the poll conducted? How many people took part? How were they chosen?

over a year ago

Yes 33%

No 60%

Yes 59%

No 26%

Yes 45%

No 48%

So the sky data poll results show that Boris is more in touch with the British publics opinion on these matters and the public back Boris. "

This is horrific and shows how far society is regressing.

You celebrating the rise of racism in society isn’t cool

over a year ago

Yes 33%

No 60%

Yes 59%

No 26%

Yes 45%

No 48%

wasnt Boris anti banning ?

And it seems 15% of people either dont see Boris as racist or don’t know, yet expect him to apologise. This poll doesn’t feel credible.

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Guys a dangerous right wing twat..don't be fooled with the ...o dear Im silly ain't I routine.

That guy has an agenda and it's not to help the workers of this country.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Since when has any party helped "the workers"?

Only Donald Trump has done so.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Since when has any party helped "the workers"?

"

What a daft and patently absurd statement.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Why is it absurd?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Since when has any party helped "the workers"?

What a daft and patently absurd statement.

Why is it absurd?"

Because you can point at virtually any piece of employment legislation and the party that implemented it and say that party has helped the workers. The Labour party has quite a history you know. Introduction of the minimum wage,

and the equal pay act, for example.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Why is it absurd?"

Because for example where his tariffs may have help up to one hundred thousand steelworkers... they also may put two million manufacturing jobs in danger

That is why you will for example find most us manufacturers against tariffs...

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

"Why is it absurd?

"

Because most of the history of the Labour Party is intertwined in improving the lot of the working person.

From it's very genesis emerging from the Union movement...

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"Why is it absurd?

Because most of the history of the Labour Party is intertwined in improving the lot of the working person.

"

Except:

(a) They have never achieved that;

(b) They haven't been in power for 8

years

(c) Tony Blair abandoned that in the

mid 1990s in his bid to win the

election

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Why is it absurd?

Except:

years

election

"

What about equal pay and the minimum wage?

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

The former has not happened in practice, as we know from the BBC for example.

The latter has cost jobs, as production has been moved abroad to lower wage economies.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Why is it absurd?

Except:

years

election

"

Your point 'a' is evident in every workplace and it was the trades union movement and labour who led on it and still do, not some of the bosses who seek profits over safety..

As for not achieving it, well given its only just over a hundred years ago that they achieved the position to be able to make changes and the two party system we have it's an ongoing process which is not over yet..

Part with you on some of Blairs time in office..

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

He's just playing the people, for the benefit of Boris - ourselves included.

He knows his comments like this appeal to a sizable chunk of the Conservative party, as well as others he'd like to attract.

He's got his eye on being Prime Minister but shouldn't be allowed anywhere government. He's certainly not fit and proper, he's a disgusting example of most of what's been wrong in recent politics. I do think that the masses are understanding this viewpoint now - he just needs the conservatives to see him as discredited and the UK voters to get a different government, as a double safeguard against him ever being PM.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

He's saying what most of the country thinks and should think. Especially women.

He's only saying what Trevor Phillips said 2 years ago, just in a more populist, flamboyant, typical Boris style.

over a year ago

"He's just playing the people, for the benefit of Boris - ourselves included.

He knows his comments like this appeal to a sizable chunk of the Conservative party, as well as others he'd like to attract.

He's got his eye on being Prime Minister but shouldn't be allowed anywhere government. He's certainly not fit and proper, he's a disgusting example of most of what's been wrong in recent politics. I do think that the masses are understanding this viewpoint now - he just needs the conservatives to see him as discredited and the UK voters to get a different government, as a double safeguard against him ever being PM."

Well said .Its obvious he is giving a nod to the far right with these comments .I agree he should not be let anywhere near any position in goverment again.

No doubt the extremist will lap up his comments.He will play them like a fiddle then leave them as soon as he gets a chance at PM.They are easily fooled by boris.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

What he is saying isn't far right at all.

Trevor Phillips said it 2 years ago, and he's hardly right wing.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"He's saying what most of the country thinks and should think.

"

OK. Can you also tell me what I should be thinking about other topics, too?

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

I don't care what you think. You're not really the majority are you?

over a year ago

OK. Can you also tell me what I should be thinking about other topics, too?"

You should put on some white boxers and get a tattoo of Nigel .

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

OK. Can you also tell me what I should be thinking about other topics, too?"

The sky news data polling on Boris's comments shows you and the other lefties on here are out of touch with the majority of the British public, as you also are on Brexit. Your opinion is the minority view.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/08/18 12:45:32]

over a year ago

The sky news data polling on Boris's comments shows you and the other lefties on here are out of touch with the majority of the British public, as you also are on Brexit. Your opinion is the minority view. "

the one where the majority wanted it banned ? But Boris disagrees ?

over a year ago

It’s amusing to hear old BoJo accused of being a fat Aryan racist, as well as all the other insults that the poor ickle snowflakes on the left can level at him.

A small amount of research would reveal that he was born in the US and that his paternal Great Grandfather was a Turk called Ali Kemal (Muslim?)

I do understand why people might be outraged on behalf of actual letterboxes though.

over a year ago

"It’s amusing to hear old BoJo accused of being a fat Aryan racist, as well as all the other insults that the poor ickle snowflakes on the left can level at him.

A small amount of research would reveal that he was born in the US and that his paternal Great Grandfather was a Turk called Ali Kemal (Muslim?)

I do understand why people might be outraged on behalf of actual letterboxes though."

Then kick him out - bloody foreigner coming here taking our jobs!

over a year ago

"It’s amusing to hear old BoJo accused of being a fat Aryan racist, as well as all the other insults that the poor ickle snowflakes on the left can level at him.

I do understand why people might be outraged on behalf of actual letterboxes though."

Racists tactic 101, cause people of being snowflakes. Classic move there.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

You don't need to accuse them. They act like snowflakes without provocation or accusation.

over a year ago

"You don't need to accuse them. They act like snowflakes without provocation or accusation."

I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% sure what these people mean when they throw the term “snowflake” around.

I know that it’s used against someone who speaks out against bigotry, racism, sexism etc.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Maybe look it up. It's none of those things.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

"You don't need to accuse them. They act like snowflakes without provocation or accusation.

I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% sure what these people mean when they throw the term “snowflake” around.

I know that it’s used against someone who speaks out against bigotry, racism, sexism etc."

It's usually a deflection by the far right to infer that people who are not them are easily offended.

The amusing thing about it of course is that the people using it often take massive offence at the slightest little thing.

See: "The Daily Mail", bellowing it's outrage with every paragraph.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

The sky news data polling on Boris's comments shows you and the other lefties on here are out of touch with the majority of the British public, as you also are on Brexit. Your opinion is the minority view. "

Oh, I am quite prepared to believe that Brexit is going to happen. I just wish those voted for it would start taking responsibility for it.

over a year ago

He's not being racist- religion knows no borders- he's being an objectionable twat and provocatively rude to those who chose to cover themselves, thinking he can do as and what he pleases. Who in the name of reason put him in any kind of a government role?

over a year ago

Boris is no fool, He is copying the tactics employed by Steve Bannon who is a right wing crusader in the USA. Will it work as it did in the presidential election ?.......Oh my view is he like Trump is a classic con man,he throws quotes around that he thinks makes him sound educated ......In truth he is a shallow conceited flim flam merchant

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

"Who in the name of reason put him in any kind of a government role?

"

It was a half sensible move. Make him (and the other arch-Brexiteers) responsible for delivering the Nirvana they promised.

Which they predictably failed to do (because it's all smoke and mirrors). He also managed to feck up a few other things also.

Unfortunately he managed to even further discredit the UK in the eyes of the world...

over a year ago

"Boris is no fool, He is copying the tactics employed by Steve Bannon who is a right wing crusader in the USA. Will it work as it did in the presidential election ?.......Oh my view is he like Trump is a classic con man,he throws quotes around that he thinks makes him sound educated ......In truth he is a shallow conceited flim flam merchant "

Well it’s clearly working on some of these morons.

By *ary_Argyll OP   Man
over a year ago

Argyll

"You don't need to accuse them. They act like snowflakes without provocation or accusation.

I know that it’s used against someone who speaks out against bigotry, racism, sexism etc."

I think it is meant to mean that they are so sensitive that they melt at any insult.

The name comes from the phrase "special snowflake", meaning somebody who is self-obsessed and fragile, easily offended, or unable to deal with opposing opinions. Well at least that is the origin according to the Sun!

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

If the sky poll is indicative if what people really think, then I'm embarrassed to share citizenship with them. Those poll views are those of bigots and islamophobes......disgusting

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

The sky news data polling on Boris's comments shows you and the other lefties on here are out of touch with the majority of the British public, as you also are on Brexit. Your opinion is the minority view.

If the sky poll is indicative if what people really think, then I'm embarrassed to share citizenship with them. Those poll views are those of bigots and islamophobes......disgusting"

No one is holding you hostage in this country. If you don't like it you are free to leave at anytime.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Minorities. Invite them to leave. Voluntarily to begin with. Remind you of anything?

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

If the sky poll is indicative if what people really think, then I'm embarrassed to share citizenship with them. Those poll views are those of bigots and islamophobes......disgusting

No one is holding you hostage in this country. If you don't like it you are free to leave at anytime.

"

I would prefer to stay and work to change it from within...

over a year ago

"Minorities. Invite them to leave. Voluntarily to begin with. Remind you of anything?"

The alt right want to purge Europe of liberals /socialists and non whites.

Only last week steve bannon set up in Europe "The movement " an organisation to unite the far right and neo nazis.

He's met up with Marine Le Pen, Alice Weidel of Alternative for Germany, Hungary's Viktor Orban and Nigel .

The far right are coming and no doubt a new holocaust will follow.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Financial crash. Austerity. Inequality. Rise in far right populists. Protectionism. Transfer of rights from citizens to the state.

The 1930s is a fascinating period of history to study.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

I would prefer to stay and work to change it from within..."

this..

fuck the intolerance and arrogance of those who seek to quell debates against their ideology and divisive agenda's..

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Financial crash. Austerity. Inequality. Rise in far right populists. Protectionism. Transfer of rights from citizens to the state.

"

What caused it?

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Clever chap BoJo. I don't think that he's inherently racist but he will do anything and say anything for BoJo. Very Trumpian.

He wrote a liberal article which I suspect wasn't read by many then dropped in a controversial "joke" to get publicity and support from Tory/UKIP voters.

No, I don't think that the niqab has any place in any society especially if it is not worn out of choice.

However, it's also not right to mock women who choose to or have to where them and implicitly support the verbal abuse and ripping off in public.

It's victim shaming.

Are women who are r@ped "asking" for it if they drink too much or where certain clothes? That used to be the view of our society. What was appropriate dress for a woman in the Victorian era?

over a year ago

"Financial crash. Austerity. Inequality. Rise in far right populists. Protectionism. Transfer of rights from citizens to the state.

"

Studied it for my A level history - it's frighteningly similar repeat of history - but maybe we need another reminder of how mankind really is!

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

No one is holding you hostage in this country. If you don't like it you are free to leave at anytime. "

Why didn't you leave the UK over the period we have been in the EU?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

The irony of Johnson giving anyone advice on their appearance seems to have been lost.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Minorities. Invite them to leave. Voluntarily to begin with. Remind you of anything?

Only last week steve bannon set up in Europe "The movement " an organisation to unite the far right and neo nazis.

He's met up with Marine Le Pen, Alice Weidel of Alternative for Germany, Hungary's Viktor Orban and Nigel .

The far right are coming and no doubt a new holocaust will follow. "

A purge has begun Bob, but you seem to be confused about who the perpetrators are. The purge of free speech and of Conservative views and opinions online has begun with the banning of Alex Jones on Facebook and YouTube and a whole host of other social media platforms, all within hours of each other. It smacks of a coordinated and well orchestrated attack on free speech and Libertarian right leaning opinion by big business and corporations who have a leftist agenda.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

Two things you conveniently forgot in your little list was an attack on free speech as we've now seen with the banning of Alex Jones online. The 2nd a rise is anti semitism as we're now seeing in the Labour party.

Or did you deliberately leave out those 2 things because it's the left who are the perpetrators.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Clever chap BoJo. I don't think that he's inherently racist but he will do anything and say anything for BoJo. Very Trumpian.

He wrote a liberal article which I suspect wasn't read by many then dropped in a controversial "joke" to get publicity and support from Tory/UKIP voters.

No, I don't think that the niqab has any place in any society especially if it is not worn out of choice.

However, it's also not right to mock women who choose to or have to where them and implicitly support the verbal abuse and ripping off in public.

It's victim shaming.

Are women who are r@ped "asking" for it if they drink too much or where certain clothes? That used to be the view of our society. What was appropriate dress for a woman in the Victorian era?"

Unfortunately some parts of society still think women who dress a certain way or who are d*unk are 'asking for it'. That section of society seems to be mainly among the Muslim community, and was the excuse Muslim men used as justification in the sex assault attacks in Cologne on new years eve a couple of years ago.

over a year ago

It's victim shaming.

Are women who are r@ped "asking" for it if they drink too much or where certain clothes? That used to be the view of our society. What was appropriate dress for a woman in the Victorian era?

Unfortunately some parts of society still think women who dress a certain way or who are d*unk are 'asking for it'. That section of society seems to be mainly among the Muslim community, and was the excuse Muslim men used as justification in the sex assault attacks in Cologne on new years eve a couple of years ago. "

this is the first time I have ever seen the *asked for it* line assigned a racial bias. Are you sure ?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Two things you conveniently forgot in your little list was an attack on free speech as we've now seen with the banning of Alex Jones online. The 2nd a rise is anti semitism as we're now seeing in the Labour party.

Or did you deliberately leave out those 2 things because it's the left who are the perpetrators. "

The favoured scapegoat of the 1930s generally were the Jews. Some shameful episodes in Britain, which generally shunned the exodus of Jews from central Europe. The Daily Mail being the main cheerleader of anti-semitism then.

Today, the main scapegoat - certainly in the UK - seems to be foreigners in general and muslims in particular, notwithstanding that most are British.

Another big factor in the background back then after the perceived failure of capitalism, as seen by the repercussions of the 1929 stock market crash, was a fear among the establishment it would bring about communist revolution, hence the lurch in some places towards fascism.

I've always seen communism and fascism as two sides of the same coin. Demarcation by left and right isn't really helpful - in practice, the consequences are very similar. I abhor both.

over a year ago

The mistake some make is to think that communism and nationalism/populism are at opposite ends of the political spectrum.When in fact the political spectrum is a sphere, they are in fact very very close in thought and tactics..as the above post points out

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

this..

fuck the intolerance and arrogance of those who seek to quell debates against their ideology and divisive agenda's..

"

The only ones i'm seeing who are looking to quell debates are tech giants like Facebook and Youtube, who are stifling free speech and freedom of expression by banning people like Alex Jones from their platforms. Real Liberals should be concerned and horrified about this, as Voltaire once said, "I may disapprove of what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it". The so called 'Liberals' who appear jubilant that someone like Alex Jones has been banned, have in fact proven themselves to not be Liberals at all.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"The mistake some make is to think that communism and nationalism/populism are at opposite ends of the political spectrum.When in fact the political spectrum is a sphere, they are in fact very very close in thought and tactics..as the above post points out "

On the money

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Or did you deliberately leave out those 2 things because it's the left who are the perpetrators. "

Muslims are the new Jews for persecuting Centaur.

That's what Leave Project Fear was all about. You know that. You and Leedsandy's posts on the Brexit media thread demonstrate that clearly.

You are all about treating Muslims differently to "normal" people aren't you?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Or did you deliberately leave out those 2 things because it's the left who are the perpetrators.

That's what Leave Project Fear was all about. You know that. You and Leedsandy's posts on the Brexit media thread demonstrate that clearly.

You are all about treating Muslims differently to "normal" people aren't you?"

The post I replied to was drawing comparisons to the 1930's. It was Jews who were targeted in the 1930's and it's Jews who are being targeted now by the anti semitic far left in the Labour party.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

It's victim shaming.

Unfortunately some parts of society still think women who dress a certain way or who are d*unk are 'asking for it'. That section of society seems to be mainly among the Muslim community, and was the excuse Muslim men used as justification in the sex assault attacks in Cologne on new years eve a couple of years ago. "

So it is alright to mock women for wearing the niqab even if it is not their preference? To encourage their public ridicule and bullying?

I'm interested to see where this "justification" was given?

Look up the forensic psychologist report on this (sorry an expert).

"The new report found, however, that the majority of perpetrators didn't go to Cologne specifically to commit sexual offenses. It was only after the men realized that police were not intervening, that the attackers felt encouraged to carry out the sexual assaults, Egg reported.

Explaining the perpetrators' motives, Egg referred to the "Broken Windows Theory," which developed in the United States. According to the theory, the inhibition to commit crimes plummets when an offense can be committed anonymously and the chance of prosecution is not expected.

"This was precisely the case in Cologne," Egg said."

Are the men who committed these crimes more inclined to treat women with less equally than in the west? Probably. However, I also see plenty of misogyny and sexism in this country in the office or in the streets on a Saturday night.

Unable to look at yourself is a serious weakness.

I'm pretty sure there's something in the bible about that.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Oh, Egg is the surname of the guy who wrote the study

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

No one is holding you hostage in this country. If you don't like it you are free to leave at anytime. "

Id rather we all lived in a tolerant country, rather than one where creeping racism, xenophobia and islamophobia is somehow becoming a "norm".

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

"Minorities. Invite them to leave. Voluntarily to begin with. Remind you of anything?

A purge has begun Bob, but you seem to be confused about who the perpetrators are. The purge of free speech and of Conservative views and opinions online has begun with the banning of Alex Jones on Facebook and YouTube and a whole host of other social media platforms, all within hours of each other. It smacks of a coordinated and well orchestrated attack on free speech and Libertarian right leaning opinion by big business and corporations who have a leftist agenda. "

That's a bizarre analysis. Big business and corporations have a leftist agenda? Utterly bonkers.

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

this..

The only ones i'm seeing who are looking to quell debates are tech giants like Facebook and Youtube, who are stifling free speech and freedom of expression by banning people like Alex Jones from their platforms. Real Liberals should be concerned and horrified about this, as Voltaire once said, "I may disapprove of what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it". The so called 'Liberals' who appear jubilant that someone like Alex Jones has been banned, have in fact proven themselves to not be Liberals at all. "

Voltaire said no such thing. If you're going to try to justify your utterly risible argument, at least check your quotations

over a year ago

You are all about treating Muslims differently to "normal" people aren't you?

The post I replied to was drawing comparisons to the 1930's. It was Jews who were targeted in the 1930's and it's Jews who are being targeted now by the anti semitic far left in the Labour party. "

So if it’s wrong to hate Jews why is okay to hate Muslims or immigrants or any other group?

By *od_AlmightyMan
over a year ago

Heaven

" as Voltaire once said, "I may disapprove of what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it". The so called 'Liberals' who appear jubilant that someone like Alex Jones has been banned, have in fact proven themselves to not be Liberals at all.

Voltaire said no such thing. If you're going to try to justify your utterly risible argument, at least check your quotations"

quite correct ... it is attributed to a 1906 work by Evelyn Beatrice Hall .... voltaire did however write "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.", which

would appear extremely apt when considering Alex Jones abuse of exploiting the vulnerabilities of the mentally ill ....

voltaire also penned the words ...

"In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation." which again puts Jones' toxic business model in it's true light.

"It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind"

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

A purge has begun Bob, but you seem to be confused about who the perpetrators are. The purge of free speech and of Conservative views and opinions online has begun with the banning of Alex Jones on Facebook and YouTube and a whole host of other social media platforms, all within hours of each other. It smacks of a coordinated and well orchestrated attack on free speech and Libertarian right leaning opinion by big business and corporations who have a leftist agenda.

That's a bizarre analysis. Big business and corporations have a leftist agenda? Utterly bonkers."

I didn't say all big business, as we're quite clearly talking about Facebook and Youtube here it was a clear reference to them. Its not bizarre at all when you consider that both Facebook and Youtube have their headquarters in California, USA, which is one of the most left leaning areas of the USA, and is one of the biggest Democrat voting areas of the country in elections.

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

That's a bizarre analysis. Big business and corporations have a leftist agenda? Utterly bonkers.

I didn't say all big business, as we're quite clearly talking about Facebook and Youtube here it was a clear reference to them. Its not bizarre at all when you consider that both Facebook and Youtube have their headquarters in California, USA, which is one of the most left leaning areas of the USA, and is one of the biggest Democrat voting areas of the country in elections.

"

But it's not an attack on free speech.

Facebook haven't said he can't say these things. Only that he can't say them on their platform. A totally different thing.

Would, for example, your local Conservative Club welcome with open arms a fund raising event for the Socialist Workers Party?

Probably not. They would not say you can't have a fund raiser, just not here.

In theory FB can stop anyone they don't like from posting. Their platform their rules.

The fact that such a small number have been stopped in practise, speaks volumes about that group.

over a year ago

I didn't say all big business, as we're quite clearly talking about Facebook and Youtube here it was a clear reference to them. Its not bizarre at all when you consider that both Facebook and Youtube have their headquarters in California, USA, which is one of the most left leaning areas of the USA, and is one of the biggest Democrat voting areas of the country in elections. "

The lends itself to an interesting bigger question if how much can a private individual (person or company) limit freedom of speach or expression which the state otherwise would allow ....

over a year ago

Private companies have every right to distance themselves from neo nazis and far right propaganda and those that spread hate and racism .You lay down with dogs you get fleas .Its good business practice.

I suggest those who are big fans of hate create their own platform.The alt right has plenty of money.The daily stormer is a good place for you guys to hang out

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

"

The lends itself to an interesting bigger question if how much can a private individual (person or company) limit freedom of speach or expression which the state otherwise would allow ....

"

Careful what you wish for.

Using that same argument, The Daily Mail, The Sun, etc. Etc. Could then all be forced to carry a column written by Jeremy Corbyn.

Free speech and all that...

over a year ago

"

Careful what you wish for.

Using that same argument, The Daily Mail, The Sun, etc. Etc. Could then all be forced to carry a column written by Jeremy Corbyn.

Free speech and all that..."

Didn't the limit to freedom of speech started decades ago. You cannot preach hate in UK law... Right?

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

"

I think this answers that question;

"An abnormal spike in anti-Muslim abuse aimed at women wearing the hijab and niqab has been recorded by the government-backed hate crime monitoring group Tell Mama."

Reported in The Guardian.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

https://youtu.be/VKnZJVvEYtc

over a year ago

Yes this would be true if that is what you wish to be true.That humans who help others hate themselves . "

Can "people of colour" have privileged backgrounds?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Can "people of colour" have privileged backgrounds?"

It depends on what you call people of colour I guess.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

So do liberals hate Christians?"

No. I'm both liberal and Christian and I don't hate myself at all.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"It's good to see members of his own party are calling for him to be thrown out of the party "

I think that has more to do with it being BoJo rather than what he actually said.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"Anyway. So why not let women dress as women and ban the burqa?"

Why not just let women dress the way they want?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

The findings include:

The truth is out there if your confirmation bias allows . "

But it won't change a lot of people's mind.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"

No women I know would wear a burkha out of choice! "

It's probably fair to say that, of most of the women that wear burkhas, whether by choice or not, there are probably no woman they know who would choose to wear a miniskirt.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Anyway. So why not let women dress as women and ban the burqa?

Why not just let women dress the way they want?"

Rather than how their religious patriarchy wants them to.

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Rather than how their religious patriarchy wants them to. "

It's their religious patriarchy and most religious folk are influenced by the creed they adhere to

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I didn't say all big business, as we're quite clearly talking about Facebook and Youtube here it was a clear reference to them. Its not bizarre at all when you consider that both Facebook and Youtube have their headquarters in California, USA, which is one of the most left leaning areas of the USA, and is one of the biggest Democrat voting areas of the country in elections. "

Big corporations buy into whatever creates the best outcomes for their shareholders, that should tell you something.

over a year ago

Rather than how their religious patriarchy wants them to. "

Do you think the Jewish practice of circumcision is barbaric and shouldn't be allowed because the religious patriarchy demands it.?

over a year ago

Everyone needs to be more tolerant

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

The lends itself to an interesting bigger question if how much can a private individual (person or company) limit freedom of speach or expression which the state otherwise would allow ...."

Facebook and YouTube pretty much have a monopoly and other similar start up sites don't usually last very long.

Also those saying Facebook and YouTube are private companies so they can do what they want, are wrong. There are strict laws around which they run those websites, one being they must be politically neutral. It's clear now they are not.

This won't be the end of it and I think some lawyer's will now be consulted and Facebook and YouTube taken to court.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Big corporations buy into whatever creates the best outcomes for their shareholders, that should tell you something."

In that case then the shareholders should be pretty pissed. Alex Jones had millions of followers on those sites and was drawing millions of potential customers, more revenue generated for the sites by advertising more to those potential customers. Now they've gone and lost millions of viewers it'll hit shareholders in the pocket when revenue is reduced.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Rather than how their religious patriarchy wants them to.

Do you think the Jewish practice of circumcision is barbaric and shouldn't be allowed because the religious patriarchy demands it.?"

Absolutley. They should be given the choice at 18.

over a year ago

Big corporations buy into whatever creates the best outcomes for their shareholders, that should tell you something.

In that case then the shareholders should be pretty pissed. Alex Jones had millions of followers on those sites and was drawing millions of potential customers, more revenue generated for the sites by advertising more to those potential customers. Now they've gone and lost millions of viewers it'll hit shareholders in the pocket when revenue is reduced. "

This would need to be offset against any reduced revenue from being associated with Alex Jones. Mars pulled its YouTube advertising after it was put in front of a drill rap vid. I can see many (rightly or wrongly) doing the same if their ads came up linked to this page.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

this..

The only ones i'm seeing who are looking to quell debates are tech giants like Facebook and Youtube, who are stifling free speech and freedom of expression by banning people like Alex Jones from their platforms. Real Liberals should be concerned and horrified about this, as Voltaire once said, "I may disapprove of what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it". The so called 'Liberals' who appear jubilant that someone like Alex Jones has been banned, have in fact proven themselves to not be Liberals at all. "

This is from an excellent interview on The Root of Christian Picciolini, a former white supremacist;

TR: How has this white nationalist movement metastasized in the age of social media?

CP: White nationalist recruiters are very savvy at finding those young people. They’re going online in gaming forums, in depression forums, in autism forums, in multi-player gaming headsets. So they’re going to the places where marginalized people are. Unfortunately, the way the algorithms are, you’re sucked in once you start landing on these [racist sites]. The internet loves to curate these things for us. So you read a Breitbart story on Milo Yiannopoulos and suddenly you’re getting ads for Infowars and Holocaust denial sites, and the Council for Conservative Citizens where Dylan Roof landed after the Trayvon Martin shooting and saw black on white crime statistics that were completely falsified.

TR: How much responsibility to do these online publishers like Twitter have to stop hate speech?

CP: Companies like [Facebook, Apple, YouTube] are like a multi-unit apartment building. If there’s a tenant who is damaging the other tenants or damaging the building, or hurting somebody else in the neighborhood, I feel like that landlord has the responsibility to remove that tenant. And I applaud the other platforms for doing it. I think that it’s disappointing that Twitter is not a part of that. Twitter has come out and said they can’t find the instances where Alex Jones broke the rules, but people have come out and found the instances where he had. But here you have a company with 3,500 people who couldn’t find one instance of policy violation, but here two guys on the internet were able to come up with a whole list of things that violated. I don’t know why they’re making these decisions but I do know that they’re probably in business right now because of the president of the United States.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

It's victim shaming.

Unfortunately some parts of society still think women who dress a certain way or who are d*unk are 'asking for it'. That section of society seems to be mainly among the Muslim community, and was the excuse Muslim men used as justification in the sex assault attacks in Cologne on new years eve a couple of years ago.

So it is alright to mock women for wearing the niqab even if it is not their preference? To encourage their public ridicule and bullying?

I'm interested to see where this "justification" was given?

Look up the forensic psychologist report on this (sorry an expert).

"The new report found, however, that the majority of perpetrators didn't go to Cologne specifically to commit sexual offenses. It was only after the men realized that police were not intervening, that the attackers felt encouraged to carry out the sexual assaults, Egg reported.

Explaining the perpetrators' motives, Egg referred to the "Broken Windows Theory," which developed in the United States. According to the theory, the inhibition to commit crimes plummets when an offense can be committed anonymously and the chance of prosecution is not expected.

"This was precisely the case in Cologne," Egg said."

Are the men who committed these crimes more inclined to treat women with less equally than in the west? Probably. However, I also see plenty of misogyny and sexism in this country in the office or in the streets on a Saturday night.

Unable to look at yourself is a serious weakness.

I'm pretty sure there's something in the bible about that."

Guess what?

Centaur changed the subject after thus post

Post new Message to Thread