Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Vote leave

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Vote leave have been fined and referred to the police for breaking campaign spending law.

So what should happen to the referendum result?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Vote leave have been fined and referred to the police for breaking campaign spending law.

So what should happen to the referendum result?"

Nothing will happen, I don’t even know if something “should” happen. We’ve gone past the point of no return, this country is on a one way down hill street to nowhere good.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

How is it .....or is that just your personal stance on brexit

over a year ago

People can still be charged. It's like saying someone murdered someone 20 years ago and then saying what's happened, happened.

I prefer it to deter future campaigns.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"Vote leave have been fined and referred to the police for breaking campaign spending law.

Nothing.

I doubt it was the only dubious activity.

Where did the DUP get hundreds of thousands of £s from to spend on anti-EU advertisements in mainland UK newspapers?

Who knew the DUP were exempt from the rules of disclosure that applied to all other campaign groups?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Nothing will happen as nothing has been proven in a court of law. Vote Leave has disputed the electoral commission findings and have released a statement saying the report is biased because the electoral commission never interviewed a single vote leave representative during its investigation. Only vote leave whistle blowers who have sought to damage the vote leave campaign have been interviewed and their credibility has been called into question. The associated campaign called BeLeave intends to challenge the electoral commission findings in an appeal and is confident that they will win and get the fines overturned. Despite huge question marks over the remain campaign spending limits no equivalent investigation has happened on the remain campaign. This makes it clear that the electoral commission are biased against vote leave and are not willing to conduct an equivalent investigation into the remain campaign. This report is politically motivated to try to damage Brexit, the electoral commission have behaved disgracefully in my opinion.

over a year ago

Nothing will happen to the result.

Criminal charges “may” be brought against vote leave as an organisation, or against individuals concerned.

The “overspend” seems to have been in the region of £700k which is a drop in the ocean compared to the total spend on both sides.

As I understand it, and this seems to have been confirmed on TV this morning. The £9 million spent by the government on the “information “ (mis-information?) leaflet we all received through our doors was exempt from the remain spending.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

So what should happen to the referendum result?

Nothing will happen as nothing has been proven in a court of law. Vote Leave has disputed the electoral commission findings and have released a statement saying the report is biased because the electoral commission never interviewed a single vote leave representative during its investigation. Only vote leave whistle blowers who have sought to damage the vote leave campaign have been interviewed and their credibility has been called into question. The associated campaign called BeLeave intends to challenge the electoral commission findings in an appeal and is confident that they will win and get the fines overturned. Despite huge question marks over the remain campaign spending limits no equivalent investigation has happened on the remain campaign. This makes it clear that the electoral commission are biased against vote leave and are not willing to conduct an equivalent investigation into the remain campaign. This report is politically motivated to try to damage Brexit, the electoral commission have behaved disgracefully in my opinion. "

Another day, another dishonest post from Centaur.

What actually happened according to the investogators:

Vote Leave had refused to cooperate fully with its investigation and declined to be interviewed.

The electoral commission said: “Vote Leave has refused to cooperate, refused our requests to put forward a representative for interview, and forced us to use our legal powers to compel it to provide evidence. Nevertheless, the evidence we have found is clear and substantial, and can now be seen in our report”

Not to mention that Vote Leave had previously admitted it had broken the law and done exactly what they were accused of but said they had believed they were allowed at the time.

But the Alt Right will continue to cry witch hunt as they always do when they get found out.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"Despite huge question marks over the remain campaign spending limits no equivalent investigation has happened on the remain campaign. This makes it clear that the electoral commission are biased against vote leave and are not willing to conduct an equivalent investigation into the remain campaign. This report is politically motivated to try to damage Brexit, the electoral commission have behaved disgracefully in my opinion. "

© Donald Trump School of Fake News

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

Remember that the referendum result was never legally binding in the first place. So whilst I do hope that the Police take up the evidence and look to charge those if/when found responsible, I’m not sure how exactly it would relate to the result.

The government could have acted however they wanted, May was the one that decided to call A50 before putting a plan in place as to how this would actually work.

So on a *legal* basis I don’t think this investigation could hangar things much. From a constitutional basis it may be different.

-Matt

Post new Message to Thread