Back to forum list
Back to Politics

GDPR

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What's it all about?

Is it good or bad?

Is it Europe looking out for the individual or is it Europe and Co. exploiting the individual?

Please avoid silly shit about the imploding EU and failing euro that typically morphs into the usual Brexit fight and just deal directly with the topic.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Better for the individual, but a pain in the arse for the organisation they work for!

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

The EU putting the privacy of the citizen before the rapacious interests of corporations. I'm all for it.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I generally think it's a great move for individuals and subsequently should be for organisations which seek to benefit from their relationships with people.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

Its a great thing to have brought in because it protects the rights of people.

It is a pain to implement but so are a lot of things.

My only problem with it is that the way companies are bringing this in is rarely done properly.

A lot of companies are saying agree to our tracking or you cant use our product which is illegal. Others are pointing to 3rd party sites to set cookies permissions to disabled which is insufficient and fails the opt out default and the bar that says it has to be as easy to opt in as opt out.

And others cant implement a functional cookie that saves choices despite this being explicitly allowed.

over a year ago

What is it all about?

What new rights does it gives us?

Anything hairy in the fine print?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"What's it all about?

Is it good or bad?

Is it Europe looking out for the individual or is it Europe and Co. exploiting the individual?

Please avoid silly shit about the imploding EU and failing euro that typically morphs into the usual Brexit fight and just deal directly with the topic. "

It's bollox, yet another example of interfering busy bodies in Brussels wanting to stick their noses into every aspect of people's daily lives. More pointless bureaucracy and red tape from the EU. I hope the UK gets rid of this legislation once Brexit is complete.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"What's it all about?

Is it good or bad?

Please avoid silly shit about the imploding EU and failing euro that typically morphs into the usual Brexit fight and just deal directly with the topic.

It's bollox, yet another example of interfering busy bodies in Brussels wanting to stick their noses into every aspect of people's daily lives. More pointless bureaucracy and red tape from the EU. I hope the UK gets rid of this legislation once Brexit is complete. "

any specifics ? Telling someone how you will use their PI and sticking by it feels like a benefit to me.

And it applies to anyone dealing with EU national data ... so many uk companies will still need to comply.

over a year ago

"What's it all about?

Is it good or bad?

It's bollox, yet another example of interfering busy bodies in Brussels wanting to stick their noses into every aspect of people's daily lives. More pointless bureaucracy and red tape from the EU. I hope the UK gets rid of this legislation once Brexit is complete. any specifics ? Telling someone how you will use their PI and sticking by it feels like a benefit to me.

And it applies to anyone dealing with EU national data ... so many uk companies will still need to comply.

"

Don't worry Centuar wants UK companies to deal with non EU residents only.

over a year ago

"What's it all about?

Is it good or bad?

It's bollox, yet another example of interfering busy bodies in Brussels wanting to stick their noses into every aspect of people's daily lives. More pointless bureaucracy and red tape from the EU. I hope the UK gets rid of this legislation once Brexit is complete. any specifics ? Telling someone how you will use their PI and sticking by it feels like a benefit to me.

Don't worry Centuar wants UK companies to deal with non EU residents only."

Problem is most of the rich British people make money from a global market.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

"

Please avoid silly shit about the imploding EU and failing euro that typically morphs into the usual Brexit fight and just deal directly with the topic. "

over a year ago

"What's it all about?

Is it good or bad?

It's bollox, yet another example of interfering busy bodies in Brussels wanting to stick their noses into every aspect of people's daily lives. More pointless bureaucracy and red tape from the EU. I hope the UK gets rid of this legislation once Brexit is complete. "

I can manage my affairs without the EU telling me what I can and cannot do. If I had any concerns I would not give the company any information in the first place.

I have wasted time replying to various emails and even had to do a test at work.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"What's it all about?

Is it good or bad?

It's bollox, yet another example of interfering busy bodies in Brussels wanting to stick their noses into every aspect of people's daily lives. More pointless bureaucracy and red tape from the EU. I hope the UK gets rid of this legislation once Brexit is complete. I can manage my affairs without the EU telling me what I can and cannot do. If I had any concerns I would not give the company any information in the first place.

I have wasted time replying to various emails and even had to do a test at work. "

It's like a fucking nanny state on a power trip. Sooner we're out and done with this kind of shit the better.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

GDPR was the consequence of malicious use of personal data by the likes of Facebook and Google as well as a means of holding entities to be much responsible for the safe handling of personal data. It will no longer be enough for companies like Talk Talk and LinkedIn to simply apologise when they get hacked.

It is no surprise that some Brexiters would want the abuse of personal data to go unpunished or the illegal collection of personal data for malicious and targeted advertising to be acceptable. After all - keeping the rich, rich at the expense of ordinary people is the very essence of what Brexit is all about.

The biggest problem with GDPR is that many in the U.K. have fallen victim to marketing messages suggesting that they simply had to pay £x,000 to be GDPR compliant or face massive fines. As per usual, some in the U.K. felt that gold plating EU directives was the only way to go and ignored common sense. My favourite B&B in Brighton has stopped emailing me despite have unsubscribe links at the top and bottom of every email they ever sent. When I called them and asked them why they said that they were afraid of GDPR repercussions. Complete and unnecessary curtailing of perfectly reasonable marketing emails.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"What is it all about?

What new rights does it gives us?

Anything hairy in the fine print?"

Nothing in the fine print and theres nothing that arduous for companies to do either. Ive implemented GDPR solutions on a lot of companies over the past 2 months. Its incredibly easy to be GDPR compliant for 90% of businesses.

For people it gives them more access to the information that companies hold on them, the ability to ask those companies to delete that information, the ability to correct incorrect information (you'd be surprised what information can make it into your credit score). It also allows you better control over what information you give to companies in the first place as well.

Brexiters in here are raging against it because its an EU idea. The fact is that if youre happy to give your information away its simple to do.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"What's it all about?

Is it good or bad?

It's bollox, yet another example of interfering busy bodies in Brussels wanting to stick their noses into every aspect of people's daily lives. More pointless bureaucracy and red tape from the EU. I hope the UK gets rid of this legislation once Brexit is complete. I can manage my affairs without the EU telling me what I can and cannot do. If I had any concerns I would not give the company any information in the first place.

I have wasted time replying to various emails and even had to do a test at work. "

It's not the EU telling you what you can or can't do.

You must be ignorant of what it actually is.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's going to be a good thing if Brexiters sign their rights away, whilst sending out their personal financial and other confidential data all the while insisting that they don't need such protection as GDPR provides, because they see the EU involvement. I wonder how quickly they'll be posting their full financial and personal data into public. Perhaps one of them will confirm when they have done so.

If businesses were incompetent regarding its implementation, there was tons of free help and those who are decent typically have no need to be concerned.

This move is being pivotal to improving individuals' protection around the world - it's farsighted.

over a year ago

"

This move is being pivotal to improving individuals' protection around the world - it's farsighted. "

Is it really? Or is it just more transparent (in theory) how you are being screwed?

It seems like it would be a full time job to contact all the companies that have my data to ask them to delete it.

I've seen a lot of websites where I must consent to a "privacy policy" before I get past the popup since GDPR was brought in.

over a year ago

"

It's like a fucking nanny state on a power trip. Sooner we're out and done with this kind of shit the better. "

A bit like Teresa's plan or May 17 then?

ANDREW GRIFFIN

THE INDEPENDENT TECH

Theresa May is planning to introduce huge regulations on the way the internet works, allowing the government to decide what is said online.

Particular focus has been drawn to the end of the manifesto, which makes clear that the Tories want to introduce huge changes to the way the internet works.

"Some people say that it is not for government to regulate when it comes to technology and the internet," it states. "We disagree."

Senior Tories confirmed to BuzzFeed News that the phrasing indicates that the government intends to introduce huge restrictions on what people can post, share and publish online.

The plans will allow Britain to become "the global leader in the regulation of the use of personal data and the internet", the manifesto claims.

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

GDPR is a great thing to be coming in. As already shown by Centy and the brexiteers they seem to be happy to cut their noses off to spite their face.

And yes as stated, is has been brought in to deal with the massive misuse of data by large companies (hrmm.. wonder why brexiteers don't like that?).

But the reality is, in the most case, if you have already been keeping up with your obligations under the Data Protection Act then there is not a huge amount more you need to do.

I've written about this before at length in a thread about four weeks ago, and copying in here just a part of that as an example to show what the GDPR brings in above and beyond our own DPA, using Fab as an example:

GDPR specifically defines three distinct parties:

- Data Subject - that is whom you are collecting data on

- Data Controller - that is who determines what data is to be collected, why and how.

- Data Processor - this is who processes or stores the data

The DPA 1998 act specifically applies to the Data Controller and NOT the Data Processor. So for example under the DPA and with regards to Fab:

- You and I and the other members are the Data Subjects

- The company that owns and runs Fab are the Data Controllers

- The 3rd parties such as the hosting company, the billing provider, etc are the Data Processors.

So under the DPA, Fab as the Data Controller have an obligation to keep our data safe and to process it in a safe way.

However the hosting company, or billing company are the Data Processors and are NOT subject to any obligations under the DPA

So, if, for example the system for paying for Fab supporter membership by SMS was hacked and everyone’s mobile number was leaked to the tabloids... that company (the billing company) could not be charged under the DPA as they are not the Data Controller. Only Fab could be, and only if they were deemed negligent. Which is this example would be unlikely as it was not Fab’s fault

that the billing company got hacked.

Under GDPR, both the Data Controller AND the Data Processor have an obligation to keep data safe. So as of the 25th May, the company that bills us for Fab membership via SMS will also have to have documented procedures and policies for how they handle that data. So for example, how long will they retain my mobile number in their records.

Also things like the 'right to be forgotten' apply to both the Data Controller and the Data Processor. So if you ask Fab to delete all your data, then they have to propagate that request to any of the Data Processors they use. So the SMS billing company would need to remove any personally identifiable information they had on you, as would the hosting company, etc.

-Matt

over a year ago

DVLA have declared themselves exempt. They are happy to sell your private information to anyone with the cash.

Post new Message to Thread