Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

The worst political representation in my lifetime

Jump to newest

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Let’s just take populist issues out of the equation for a second.

Have we ever had a more incompetent, useless and ineffectual front and opposition bench in living memory

For me no - The Govt Cabinet and Labour Shadow cabinet are almost universally below par from my memory. Let’s look at them all...

The Rt Hon Theresa May MP.

The Rt Hon David Lidington MP. ...

The Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP. ...

The Rt Hon Sajid Javid MP. ...

The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP. ...

The Rt Hon David Davis MP. ...

The Rt Hon Gavin Williamson MP. ...

The Rt Hon David Gauke MP.

Jeremy Corbyn. MP Leader of the opposition.

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

Can anyone offer a positive word about anyone other than Keir Starmer (one person who at least seems to say things the way they are).

There is not another person on either of those lists who cold command any respect compared to any cabinet or shadow cabinet that I can remember in the last 30-40 years. At leat in those days - there was a distinctly better and more capable bunch on one side.

Today - they are all shite.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yea we were far better off under Thatcher and Kinnock

over a year ago

Don't get me wrong, you probably did well for yourself under Thatcher and Kinnock and so you think that was ace and became a life long Tory voter, bully for you.

Lots of people didn't fair so well though and there just returning the karma.

Suck it up buttercup

over a year ago

That evolutions a fucker when it's not on your side ain't it

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Let’s just take populist issues out of the equation for a second.

Have we ever had a more incompetent, useless and ineffectual front and opposition bench in living memory

For me no - The Govt Cabinet and Labour Shadow cabinet are almost universally below par from my memory. Let’s look at them all...

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

Can anyone offer a positive word about anyone other than Keir Starmer (one person who at least seems to say things the way they are).

There is not another person on either of those lists who cold command any respect compared to any cabinet or shadow cabinet that I can remember in the last 30-40 years. At leat in those days - there was a distinctly better and more capable bunch on one side.

"

I was thinking Kier Starmer was one of the worst on that list.

Also I don't remember you complaining about Theresa May or Philip Hammond when they were in the Cabinet of Cameron's government which you supported.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

Also I don't remember you complaining about Theresa May or Philip Hammond when they were in the Cabinet of Cameron's government which you supported. "

I voted Thatcher, Blair, Blair again and not much else. I could not bring myself to vote for Cameron as I have said many times before.

Cameron brought voting paralysis to my world.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Don't get me wrong, you probably did well for yourself under Thatcher and Kinnock and so you think that was ace and became a life long Tory voter, bully for you.

Lots of people didn't fair so well though and there just returning the karma.

Suck it up buttercup "

Are you capable of discussion or just insulting?

over a year ago

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

"

Looking at the list I would regard most of them as being very capable individuals , otherwise they would not be in the position that they are in.

Two of those listed are talented but very dangerous people . One is a terrorist sympathiser , another has consistently made false allegations against other MPs or members of the same party.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 12/06/18 00:08:12]

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

Also I don't remember you complaining about Theresa May or Philip Hammond when they were in the Cabinet of Cameron's government which you supported.

I voted Thatcher, Blair, Blair again and not much else. I could not bring myself to vote for Cameron as I have said many times before.

Cameron brought voting paralysis to my world."

I'm pretty sure I recall you supporting a vote for Cameron's tory party on here during the general election in 2010 and again in 2015.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Yea we were far better off under Thatcher and Kinnock "

I don’t ever remember Kinnock being PM. I remember him as being the leader of a very poor potential cabinet that got trounced (again) by MT.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

I'm pretty sure I recall you supporting a vote for Cameron's tory party on here during the general election in 2010 and again in 2015. "

No - I voted Lib Dem’s in 2010 and I did not vote in 2015 because of Cameron’s commitment to have an in/out EU referendum.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

I'm pretty sure I recall you supporting a vote for Cameron's tory party on here during the general election in 2010 and again in 2015.

No - I voted Lib Dem’s in 2010 and I did not vote in 2015 because of Cameron’s commitment to have an in/out EU referendum."

Think I may have to have a look around on here at some old threads tomorrow from 2010 and 2015 to see.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

No - I voted Lib Dem’s in 2010 and I did not vote in 2015 because of Cameron’s commitment to have an in/out EU referendum.

Think I may have to have a look around on here at some old threads tomorrow from 2010 and 2015 to see. "

Knock yourself out.

By *urve BallWoman
over a year ago

North London

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

"

Unfortunately, I agree for the most part.

Corbyn is a huge disappointment because of how opportunistic he is. I hate how he's perched himself on the fence so shamelessly with regards to Brexit. I do believe he's a Brexiteer at heart but he doesn't want to alienate remain voters which is why he's keeping a low profile and is being as vague as possible. He had a huge chance to defeat the government tomorrow on the Lords' amendments, yet he went and introduced a new one, thus handing them victory in effect. Also, I really don't think he wants to be PM right now. He's sitting back, letting the Tories make a mess of it and then he'll emerge with whatever way the wind blows and blame them for the result, when he had a perfectly good chance to somehow limit the damage in the process and didn't take it. Opportunists are people that I do *not* trust and unfortunately he makes it very hard for me to vote Labour while he's the Leader.

I was speaking to Barry Rawlings the other day, who's the Labour leader in my borough, and told him straight how livid I was with Corbyn on a number of issues. Without revealing too much, all I can say is that he shares my sentiments.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Funny how this is becoming another anti Corbyn thread and barely a mention of call me we're all in this big society together pig fucker dave and his Eaton fagging sidekick gideon who between them manufactured this whole sorry mess so they could get an extra year and a bit in power.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The government carries greater responsibilities and the current one supposedly organising the greatest change in generations - it's abysmal. They agreed clear Northern Ireland principles in December 2017 with the EU but have wasted 6 months trying to pretend they didn't. Never has a government worked so much against the interests of it's people.

With an incompetent government in power, the shadow ministers are somewhat powerless to rein them in, though public support for them grew from nowhere at the last election.

In opposition during Brexit it's the 2nd poisoned chalice - the other one held by May. There's criticism regardless

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

Cameron brought voting paralysis to my world."

You do remember Tony Blair promising an EU referendum in May 2005?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

" One is a terrorist sympathiser . "

Yes, I too was very disappointed when Mrs May lined the pockets of the political wing of the Proddy paramilitaries

over a year ago

Generally the civil service runs everything so the government is irrelevant. This is the first time in a while that parliament has to work together to deliver a major project of national importance, and yes, it is a dogshow. The problem is they are all amateurs pulling in different directions. Most have no experience of delivering a big project. They should have left it to the civil service to negotiate and deliver.

over a year ago

" One is a terrorist sympathiser .

Yes, I too was very disappointed when Mrs May lined the pockets of the political wing of the Proddy paramilitaries

"

I think you might be a little confused. Mrs Mays agreement with the DUP was to the benefit of every single citizen in Northern Ireland regardless of which party they support..

Not one citizen of NI has complained about 'receiving the money.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

Unfortunately, I agree for the most part.

Corbyn is a huge disappointment because of how opportunistic he is. I hate how he's perched himself on the fence so shamelessly with regards to Brexit. I do believe he's a Brexiteer at heart but he doesn't want to alienate remain voters which is why he's keeping a low profile and is being as vague as possible. He had a huge chance to defeat the government tomorrow on the Lords' amendments, yet he went and introduced a new one, thus handing them victory in effect. Also, I really don't think he wants to be PM right now. He's sitting back, letting the Tories make a mess of it and then he'll emerge with whatever way the wind blows and blame them for the result, when he had a perfectly good chance to somehow limit the damage in the process and didn't take it. Opportunists are people that I do *not* trust and unfortunately he makes it very hard for me to vote Labour while he's the Leader.

I was speaking to Barry Rawlings the other day, who's the Labour leader in my borough, and told him straight how livid I was with Corbyn on a number of issues. Without revealing too much, all I can say is that he shares my sentiments."

Corbyn has consistently voted against the EU. He is a Bennite. He is aware that many, many Labour constituencies voted to leave- especially in the Labour heartlands of the north and the midlands.

He's currently playing a blinder re: Brexit - strongly committing to either stance would split the party along brexit lines, just look at the Tories. I think his stance of respecting the referendum and trying to get the best for the British worker out of the result is the best one.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

" One is a terrorist sympathiser .

I think you might be a little confused. Mrs Mays agreement with the DUP was to the benefit of every single citizen in Northern Ireland regardless of which party they support..

Not one citizen of NI has complained about 'receiving the money. "

But of course, this does not negate the fact that they are the political arm of loyalist terrorist organisations.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

Not one citizen of NI has complained about 'receiving the money. "

Silly me for thinking it was all about buying the premiership.

over a year ago

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

"

Yippeeee ?? we agree on something??

over a year ago

"Funny how this is becoming another anti Corbyn thread and barely a mention of call me we're all in this big society together pig fucker dave and his Eaton fagging sidekick gideon who between them manufactured this whole sorry mess so they could get an extra year and a bit in power."

I hate to break this to you but the reason there isn't a mention of David Cameron or George Osborne is because the thread is about the current Cabinet & Shadow Cabinet.

By *iverpool LoverMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Jeremy corbyn shouldnt be on that list.

Hes looking more and more stateman like and prime minister material every time i see him.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Welcome to the post democratic age.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

Jc ....he can save us all x total wanker x

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

"

iv got to agree with you that’s list is woefull a full on shower if shit

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Tom Watson. MP

John McDonnell. MP

Diane Abbott. MP

Emily Thornberry. MP

Keir Starmer. MP

Angela Rayner. MP

Also I don't remember you complaining about Theresa May or Philip Hammond when they were in the Cabinet of Cameron's government which you supported. "

It's funny that you think Starmer is the worst on the list when you are usually complaining about "career politicians", I think the must be one of the youngest in terms of time in politics.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Jeremy corbyn shouldnt be on that list.

Hes looking more and more stateman like and prime minister material every time i see him. "

Are you kidding? He may be wearing smarter suits these days but he still essentially looks like old man Steptoe.

By *iverpool LoverMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Hes looking more and more stateman like and prime minister material every time i see him.

Are you kidding? He may be wearing smarter suits these days but he still essentially looks like old man Steptoe. "

Well i didnt mean apparence wise i just meant the way he conducts himself.

Seems like the only one talking sense these days and not quick to judge.

One example was the salsbury poisioning thing...everyone else in governent was pointing and vocaly blaming russia without any enquiry or evidance.

He was the only one that was saying hang on lets wait until we basically know a bit more.

He isnt quick to condemn and uses common sense.

over a year ago

Are you kidding? He may be wearing smarter suits these days but he still essentially looks like old man Steptoe.

Well i didnt mean apparence wise i just meant the way he conducts himself.

Seems like the only one talking sense these days and not quick to judge.

One example was the salsbury poisioning thing...everyone else in governent was pointing and vocaly blaming russia without any enquiry or evidance.

He was the only one that was saying hang on lets wait until we basically know a bit more.

He isnt quick to condemn and uses common sense."

He's always quick to condem Israel !!!

over a year ago

Are you kidding? He may be wearing smarter suits these days but he still essentially looks like old man Steptoe. "

I am not too concerned about what he wears or looks like. His policies would be a financial disaster for the country. Everything you worked for would quickly collapse in value .

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"Funny how this is becoming another anti Corbyn thread and barely a mention of call me we're all in this big society together pig fucker dave and his Eaton fagging sidekick gideon who between them manufactured this whole sorry mess so they could get an extra year and a bit in power."

Don't worry; once Corbyn is history too we'll stop talking about him also.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Hes looking more and more stateman like and prime minister material every time i see him. "

What alternative universe are you living in?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i think sometimes it is a case of mp's not fitting the portfolio they are given very well.... for example.... BoJo at the FCO is an awful fit....

javid may be a better fit at home sec that he was at communities, he wasn't bad at business though.... again amber rudd was actually not bad at enviroment, but i don't think the home sec post suited her......

williamson at defence is an awkward fit....

on the labour side the issue is a lot of the more talented individuals don't want to work under corbyn and are in the sub committees instead...

for example yvette cooper at home, hilary benn at the FCO,

can i stick up for thornberry as shadow FCO, she actually hasn't done a bad job there on the issues there....

By *iverpool LoverMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What alternative universe are you living in?

"

Triggered?

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"i think sometimes it is a case of mp's not fitting the portfolio they are given very well.... for example.... BoJo at the FCO is an awful fit....

javid may be a better fit at home sec that he was at communities, he wasn't bad at business though.... again amber rudd was actually not bad at enviroment, but i don't think the home sec post suited her......

on the labour side the issue is a lot of the more talented individuals don't want to work under corbyn and are in the sub committees instead...

can i stick up for thornberry as shadow FCO, she actually hasn't done a bad job there on the issues there...."

Some good points there. As someone who sits on the other side of the fence, Yvette Cooper as Leader, Hilary Benn as Home Secretary and Rachel Reeves as Chancellor may well start to close the (increasing) gap that the Conservatives have over Labour.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

A little nugget from today. Remember this is a sitting MP and we had two years of pre-referendum talk and we are now two years post-referendum. So FOUR YEARS to understand WTF is going on...

Tory MP Robert Courts today asked Keir Starmer if Labour was willing to accept the free movement of people to be in a customs union with the EU.

What hope have we all got really?

over a year ago

"A little nugget from today. Remember this is a sitting MP and we had two years of pre-referendum talk and we are now two years post-referendum. So FOUR YEARS to understand WTF is going on...

Tory MP Robert Courts today asked Keir Starmer if Labour was willing to accept the free movement of people to be in a customs union with the EU.

What hope have we all got really?"

What’s wrong with that? I’ve never heard Starmer give a clear straight answer to anything. Ever

over a year ago

"i think sometimes it is a case of mp's not fitting the portfolio they are given very well.... for example.... BoJo at the FCO is an awful fit....

can i stick up for thornberry as shadow FCO, she actually hasn't done a bad job there on the issues there....

Some good points there. As someone who sits on the other side of the fence, Yvette Cooper as Leader, Hilary Benn as Home Secretary and Rachel Reeves as Chancellor may well start to close the (increasing) gap that the Conservatives have over Labour."

Now thats a labour party I could vote for.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"A little nugget from today. Remember this is a sitting MP and we had two years of pre-referendum talk and we are now two years post-referendum. So FOUR YEARS to understand WTF is going on...

What’s wrong with that? I’ve never heard Starmer give a clear straight answer to anything. Ever"

Really? You think that this is a perfectly reasonable and accurate question to ask?

over a year ago

What’s wrong with that? I’ve never heard Starmer give a clear straight answer to anything. Ever

Really? You think that this is a perfectly reasonable and accurate question to ask?"

Of a man like that yes. What was his answer?

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

Really? You think that this is a perfectly reasonable and accurate question to ask?

Of a man like that yes. What was his answer?"

Membership of the Customs Union doesnt mean free movement. Mr Courts should know that. Perhaps he doesnt understand the difference between the Single Market and the Customs Union...maybe he's a complete moron...

over a year ago

Membership of the Customs Union doesnt mean free movement. Mr Courts should know that. Perhaps he doesnt understand the difference between the Single Market and the Customs Union...maybe he's a complete moron..."

He does know that! What he asked was if Starmer would accept free movement to be in a customs union (if the EU insisted on that). So what was his answer?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Membership of the Customs Union doesnt mean free movement. Mr Courts should know that. Perhaps he doesnt understand the difference between the Single Market and the Customs Union...maybe he's a complete moron...

He does know that! What he asked was if Starmer would accept free movement to be in a customs union (if the EU insisted on that). So what was his answer?"

Turkey is in the Customs Union, there isn't freedom of movement with Turkey.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Of a man like that yes. What was his answer?"

You too huh?

What a place we are all in.

over a year ago

He does know that! What he asked was if Starmer would accept free movement to be in a customs union (if the EU insisted on that). So what was his answer?

Turkey is in the Customs Union, there isn't freedom of movement with Turkey. "

We are leaving THE customs union. Substitute THE for A. That’s the trouble with the slippery shit Starmer, he relies on the gullible not to listen properly or understand what he is saying

over a year ago

They're all the same, no matter which party they represent. This country needs something new and it's called revolution! I'm starting one. Who's with me

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

We are leaving THE customs union. Substitute THE for A. That’s the trouble with the slippery shit Starmer, he relies on the gullible not to listen properly or understand what he is saying "

Do you (like Robert Courts) not know the difference between the European Customs Union and the Single Market? Free movement is not a prerequisite of being in ‘the’ or ‘a’ Customs Union but it can be a negotiated part of it subject to other parameters. It is the Single Market alone that requires the four principles of free movement of money, goods, services and labour.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"They're all the same, no matter which party they represent. This country needs something new and it's called revolution! I'm starting one. Who's with me "

No, the country needs to better educate its citizens so that they are more politically engaged and less fearful of the things that they don’t know. It is tragic beyond words that there are so many people in this country who would give their right arm for a no deal Brexit outcome simply to satisfy an ideological urge and irrespective of the negative outcomes to the country and its population.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"They're all the same, no matter which party they represent. This country needs something new and it's called revolution! I'm starting one. Who's with me

No, the country needs to better educate its citizens so that they are more politically engaged and less fearful of the things that they don’t know. It is tragic beyond words that there are so many people in this country who would give their right arm for a no deal Brexit outcome simply to satisfy an ideological urge and irrespective of the negative outcomes to the country and its population."

Do you want to educate them so they vote the right way in your opinion!

over a year ago

We are leaving THE customs union. Substitute THE for A. That’s the trouble with the slippery shit Starmer, he relies on the gullible not to listen properly or understand what he is saying

Do you (like Robert Courts) not know the difference between the European Customs Union and the Single Market? Free movement is not a prerequisite of being in ‘the’ or ‘a’ Customs Union but it can be a negotiated part of it subject to other parameters. It is the Single Market alone that requires the four principles of free movement of money, goods, services and labour."

You have just said yourself it can be a negotiated part and that is what he was asking

And you accuse others of needing more education?

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"They're all the same, no matter which party they represent. This country needs something new and it's called revolution! I'm starting one. Who's with me

No, the country needs to better educate its citizens so that they are more politically engaged and less fearful of the things that they don’t know. It is tragic beyond words that there are so many people in this country who would give their right arm for a no deal Brexit outcome simply to satisfy an ideological urge and irrespective of the negative outcomes to the country and its population.

Do you want to educate them so they vote the right way in your opinion! "

No. Just enough to understand that actions have consequences and to have the ability to think through actions in order to anticipate and make reasonable judgement calls on the consequences.

Brexit has been an illustration in point about the lack of awareness in our society about the consequences of a so called “no deal, hard Brexit.”

Hard core Brexiters insist that “walking away with no negotiation and no deal” is the best Brexit option and use history and other countries and the times pre EU as their justification. The great irony here of course is that they conveniently omit the fact that other country’s have negotiated deals with the EU and pre EU we had negotiated deals with the individual European countries.

No deal is an absurd position and demonstrates only that the person who makes such a statement has no idea as to how intertwined are the laws, rules and regulations of the U.K. and EU. It is a fact, not an exaggeration that in the evening no deal aircraft will be grounded.

Post new Message to Thread