Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

True Price to leave E U .

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anyone know how much money we actually owe the E U and why .

I'm not talking how much for a deal .

But how much to cover existing agreements ?

Basically if we were leaving a restaurant how much do we owe for the Bill ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *urve BallWoman
over a year ago

North London

Apparently 39 billion is what was agreed by both sides as the amount owned for things we have already signed up to until certain points in the future. Basically our commitments. Our share for the food/drinks/dessert ordered, if you like. There was never anything mentioned about us paying any money in order to get a deal. Whether we leave with a deal or no deal, those commitments will need to be honoured.

By *urve BallWoman
over a year ago

North London

*owned=owed

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

The deal was that the UK would cover all commitments in full. Some of those costs arent finalised as it includes things like pensions and other costs that simply won't be known until its time to pay up. The bill will also be paid in euro's so currency fluctuation will play a part.

The 39 billion figure was a Tory estimate. It didnt include certain parts of the payment and they used some very unusual methods for estimation that brought the value of the deal down to 39 billion. The Tories have since announced that the 39 billion estimate was wrong and it will be more than that. But they got their headline number out at the time of the deal and thats enough for them to get the PR they were looking for.

over a year ago

Hmmmmm , so if we just leave and say Stuff you your not getting a Penny , what could or would happen ?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Does anyone know how much money we actually owe the E U and why .

I'm not talking how much for a deal .

But how much to cover existing agreements ?

Basically if we were leaving a restaurant how much do we owe for the Bill ? "

The treasury say we owe around £46bn, AND we need to continue paying into the pension pot, for knobheads like Farage, as well as much younger politicians and British EU civil servants until the 2060s.

May has already said that she wants to remain in the EU scientific programme and that she wants to continuing paying into that budget indefinitely.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Hmmmmm , so if we just leave and say Stuff you your not getting a Penny , what could or would happen ?"

OP, parliament is sovereign, it always has been. It can tell the EU to go fuck itself, refuse to pay any bills, but that would lead to a ruling in an international court that says we have to pay. But then we can ignore that to. Parliament can turn the UK in to a pariah state if it wishes to, but that doesn't mean that it should. Hell, the PM could fire nuclear weapons at D.C., Paris, Berlin, Beijing and Moscow if she so choses, but again that doesn't mean that she should.

over a year ago

"Hmmmmm , so if we just leave and say Stuff you your not getting a Penny , what could or would happen ?

OP, parliament is sovereign, it always has been. It can tell the EU to go fuck itself, refuse to pay any bills, but that would lead to a ruling in an international court that says we have to pay. But then we can ignore that to. Parliament can turn the UK in to a pariah state if it wishes to, but that doesn't mean that it should. Hell, the PM could fire nuclear weapons at D.C., Paris, Berlin, Beijing and Moscow if she so choses, but again that doesn't mean that she should."

Hmmmm ?? So we would be ok then ?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Hmmmmm , so if we just leave and say Stuff you your not getting a Penny , what could or would happen ?

OP, parliament is sovereign, it always has been. It can tell the EU to go fuck itself, refuse to pay any bills, but that would lead to a ruling in an international court that says we have to pay. But then we can ignore that to. Parliament can turn the UK in to a pariah state if it wishes to, but that doesn't mean that it should. Hell, the PM could fire nuclear weapons at D.C., Paris, Berlin, Beijing and Moscow if she so choses, but again that doesn't mean that she should. Hmmmm ?? So we would be ok then ? "

Ok in what way?

By *om38500Man
over a year ago

mayo

Either way ere fkd

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Does anyone know how much the EU owe the UK

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Does anyone know how much the EU owe the UK "

The figure that the UK owes includes what they owe us, it's already been deducted. Did you really not know that?

over a year ago

"Does anyone know how much the EU owe the UK

The figure that the UK owes includes what they owe us, it's already been deducted. Did you really not know that? "

Yea, I just wanna know how much they owe the UK

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

The figure that the UK owes includes what they owe us, it's already been deducted. Did you really not know that? .

Yea, I just wanna know how much they owe the UK"

You should already know the answer then

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

The figure that the UK owes includes what they owe us, it's already been deducted. Did you really not know that? .

Yea, I just wanna know how much they owe the UK"

The EU owes the UK around £1.4 billion for the UK's share of the Galileo project, which I don't think has been factored into CLCC's calculations. You could also say many EU countries also owe their freedom to the UK, from World War 2. I think it was the former ukip MEP Steven Wolfe (now an independent MEP) who worked out the costs incurred by the UK during WW2, which run into hundreds of billions, and read them out in the European Parliament, saying that the EU was morally and financially in debt to the UK for those costs which the UK paid to liberate Europe during WW2

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

The EU owes the UK around £1.4 billion for the UK's share of the Galileo project, which I don't think has been factored into CLCC's calculations. You could also say many EU countries also owe their freedom to the UK, from World War 2. I think it was the former ukip MEP Steven Wolfe (now an independent MEP) who worked out the costs incurred by the UK during WW2, which run into hundreds of billions, and read them out in the European Parliament, saying that the EU was morally and financially in debt to the UK for those costs which the UK paid to liberate Europe during WW2 "

How? In what way is that an EU cost, rather than a cost of individual member states?

Why do you think the Galileo costs haven't been factored in?

over a year ago

You should already know the answer then "

Just curiousity more then anything.

This amount who owes what and where is irrelevant to the UK anyhow isn't it?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

The EU owes the UK around £1.4 billion for the UK's share of the Galileo project, which I don't think has been factored into CLCC's calculations. You could also say many EU countries also owe their freedom to the UK, from World War 2. I think it was the former ukip MEP Steven Wolfe (now an independent MEP) who worked out the costs incurred by the UK during WW2, which run into hundreds of billions, and read them out in the European Parliament, saying that the EU was morally and financially in debt to the UK for those costs which the UK paid to liberate Europe during WW2

How? In what way is that an EU cost, rather than a cost of individual member states?

Why do you think the Galileo costs haven't been factored in? "

The divorce bill of £38 billion was calculated last December. The Galileo dispute only came up for the first time last month so is a new cost which the EU needs to take into account and should be deducted from the divorce bill.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Why do you think the Galileo costs haven't been factored in?

The divorce bill of £38 billion was calculated last December. The Galileo dispute only came up for the first time last month so is a new cost which the EU needs to take into account and should be deducted from the divorce bill. "

The UK's spend in the project was before December though, so it's been calculated.

Now how about answering the first part of the question about how many war reparations are the responsibility of the EU itself, rather than of individual member states.

over a year ago

I've had it drummed into me for the last 18 months how the figure we pay in is irrelevant because we get virtually all of it back..... On this basis what does it matter what bloody figure they come to agreement on, we'll get virtually all of it back!

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Mods, please can we have a facepalm emoji? Please?

over a year ago

"Mods, please can we have a facepalm emoji? Please? "

You mean we won't get it back?

over a year ago

I mean this is future commitments that the UK will benefit from as well isn't it?.... Holy shit don't tell me were paying for future commitments that only other countries will benefit from?.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

We will found out when the deal is done,nobody really knows I reckon

over a year ago

"I've had it drummed into me for the last 18 months how the figure we pay in is irrelevant because we get virtually all of it back..... On this basis what does it matter what bloody figure they come to agreement on, we'll get virtually all of it back! "

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"We will found out when the deal is done,nobody really knows I reckon"

Do the people in the negotiations know?

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

Centaur, still clinging to the 38bn figure even though the UK government has said their calculations were wrong and its more than that? I am beyond shocked

While Galileo project may have surfaced as a news story after the agreement theres no reason that it wasnt considered in the settlement. If the Tories missed it then it speaks to their lack of preparation for negotiations.

And the issue of WW2 reparations was dealt with back in the 40's so it obviously has no part to play today, particularly since the EU wasnt around in WW2. More straw clutching from Brexiters.

over a year ago

"Centaur, still clinging to the 38bn figure even though the UK government has said their calculations were wrong and its more than that? I am beyond shocked

While Galileo project may have surfaced as a news story after the agreement theres no reason that it wasnt considered in the settlement. If the Tories missed it then it speaks to their lack of preparation for negotiations.

And the issue of WW2 reparations was dealt with back in the 40's so it obviously has no part to play today, particularly since the EU wasnt around in WW2. More straw clutching from Brexiters."

Really? The EU is the continuation of Germany by other means , but that’s another story

over a year ago

"I've had it drummed into me for the last 18 months how the figure we pay in is irrelevant because we get virtually all of it back..... On this basis what does it matter what bloody figure they come to agreement on, we'll get virtually all of it back! "
excellent Post !!!

over a year ago

The very sad thing abut this is some part of UK which are benefited big time from European monies have voted out because they dont understand politics-very sad!

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"The very sad thing abut this is some part of UK which are benefited big time from European monies have voted out because they dont understand politics-very sad! "

European monies? There is no such thing. The UK is a net contributor to the EU, and so any 'EU monies' we get back is in fact UK taxpayers cash.

over a year ago

"The very sad thing abut this is some part of UK which are benefited big time from European monies have voted out because they dont understand politics-very sad!

European monies? There is no such thing. The UK is a net contributor to the EU, and so any 'EU monies' we get back is in fact UK taxpayers cash. "

Beg to differ I am sorry, some part of the country are getting more back then they put in....Wales for example...

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Centaur, still clinging to the 38bn figure even though the UK government has said their calculations were wrong and its more than that? I am beyond shocked

And the issue of WW2 reparations was dealt with back in the 40's so it obviously has no part to play today, particularly since the EU wasnt around in WW2. More straw clutching from Brexiters.

Really? The EU is the continuation of Germany by other means , but that’s another story "

How is it a continuation of Germany?

over a year ago

Really? The EU is the continuation of Germany by other means , but that’s another story

How is it a continuation of Germany? "

Because it’s aim, which has always been Germany’s is its expansion and control of Central and Eastern Europe. This has already led to wars in Yugoslavia and the Ukraine. If you would like to understand what it is that you support maybe you should read the essay by Peter Hitchens on the subject

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Because it’s aim, which has always been Germany’s is its expansion and control of Central and Eastern Europe. This has already led to wars in Yugoslavia and the Ukraine. If you would like to understand what it is that you support maybe you should read the essay by Peter Hitchens on the subject "

So why did the EU first expand West instead of East? And why do the other 27 members go along with it if Germany is the only one calling the shots?

Do the Germans get proportionally more commissioners or MEPs than anyone else? Are they the only ones with a veto?

over a year ago

Because it’s aim, which has always been Germany’s is its expansion and control of Central and Eastern Europe. This has already led to wars in Yugoslavia and the Ukraine. If you would like to understand what it is that you support maybe you should read the essay by Peter Hitchens on the subject

So why did the EU first expand West instead of East? And why do the other 27 members go along with it if Germany is the only one calling the shots?

Do the Germans get proportionally more commissioners or MEPs than anyone else? Are they the only ones with a veto? "

Educate yourself

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Do the Germans get proportionally more commissioners or MEPs than anyone else? Are they the only ones with a veto?

Educate yourself "

I'm already educated.

No, they are not the only ones with the veto.

No, they do not have proportionally more commissioners.

No, they do not have proportionally more MEPs than anyone else.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"The very sad thing abut this is some part of UK which are benefited big time from European monies have voted out because they dont understand politics-very sad!

European monies? There is no such thing. The UK is a net contributor to the EU, and so any 'EU monies' we get back is in fact UK taxpayers cash.

Beg to differ I am sorry, some part of the country are getting more back then they put in....Wales for example..."

Wales is part of the UK, the UK is a net contributor to the EU, so any money returned to the UK from the EU, is UK taxpayers cash. Wales is not a member of the EU on its own, Wales only has membership of the EU through the UK.

over a year ago

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

"

Lol

Fine, live in ignorance, apparently it’s bliss

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

Fine, live in ignorance, apparently it’s bliss "

I mean feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, if Germany has some special powers that other member states don't have.

over a year ago

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

I mean feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, if Germany has some special powers that other member states don't have. "

Of course they have and always have had with the backing of America, to control Eastern Europe and to keep the Russians out

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

I mean feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, if Germany has some special powers that other member states don't have.

Of course they have and always have had with the backing of America, to control Eastern Europe and to keep the Russians out "

So you'll be able to point out what these special powers they have that no other member state then, won't you?

over a year ago

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

Of course they have and always have had with the backing of America, to control Eastern Europe and to keep the Russians out

So you'll be able to point out what these special powers they have that no other member state then, won't you? "

Where's the ECBs printing press kept

over a year ago

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

So you'll be able to point out what these special powers they have that no other member state then, won't you? "

Yes, it’s called money and influence and more of it.

You don’t understand why the EU was created in the first place do you, with the help of America and why they wanted a wealthy and dominant Germany at the heart of it?

over a year ago

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

So you'll be able to point out what these special powers they have that no other member state then, won't you? .

Where's the ECBs printing press kept "

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

So you'll be able to point out what these special powers they have that no other member state then, won't you? .

Where's the ECBs printing press kept "

Each National Central Bank NCB has the right to print their own notes.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Hmmmmm , so if we just leave and say Stuff you your not getting a Penny , what could or would happen ?"

from a purely economic view.... your credit rating would be absolutely shot.... would you an institution lend you any money for anything....

also uk bond rates would have to be super high interest to negate the risks of you defaulting.....

then you start talking about uk government assets overseas..... those could legally be seized in leiu of debts....(the classic example was that argentina once had a warship seized whilst overseas)

remember if you are walking away, you are not getting any deals on anything... WTO rules on everything as of day 1 you walked!!!!

then remember you have all those EU deals the UK would no longer be part of....

so yeah.... not good.....

over a year ago

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

Where's the ECBs printing press kept

Each National Central Bank NCB has the right to print their own notes. "

Ha, if only that was worth the paper it was written on

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Educate yourself

I'm already educated.

Lol

So you'll be able to point out what these special powers they have that no other member state then, won't you?

Yes, it’s called money and influence and more of it.

You don’t understand why the EU was created in the first place do you, with the help of America and why they wanted a wealthy and dominant Germany at the heart of it? "

So this special power is money? Does their economy outsize the combined economies of the other member states put together?

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"We will found out when the deal is done,nobody really knows I reckon

Do the people in the negotiations know? "

I doubt it lol

over a year ago

Do the people in the negotiations know? I doubt it lol"

It doesn't make any fucking difference because you've been told for years we get all this money back!!!, didn't you know?.

You can't have it both ways just because it suits you, either we get the money back in lots of ways in which case the brexit fee means fuck all because we get it all back or we don't in which case the brexiters have a point in all that money we pay out every year!

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Do the people in the negotiations know? I doubt it lol.

It doesn't make any fucking difference because you've been told for years we get all this money back!!!, didn't you know?.

You can't have it both ways just because it suits you, either we get the money back in lots of ways in which case the brexit fee means fuck all because we get it all back or we don't in which case the brexiters have a point in all that money we pay out every year!"

I think you have very much misunderstood what someone has told you.

over a year ago

You can't have it both ways just because it suits you, either we get the money back in lots of ways in which case the brexit fee means fuck all because we get it all back or we don't in which case the brexiters have a point in all that money we pay out every year!

I think you have very much misunderstood what someone has told you. "

It was you .

Put me straight

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

I think you have very much misunderstood what someone has told you. .

It was you .

Put me straight"

Give me the quote then.

Post new Message to Thread