Newcastle and Gateshead

For? Against? Non plussed?

Opinions........

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

We have to have something.

My beef is that many have to travel to hub airports in order to do Trans-Altantic. Why not develop regional airports, East Midlands, Newcastle, Leeds etc so that they can cope with this market?

Many will say that as the South-East gets the greatest share of infrastructure funding, let them bear the brunt of this.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

All the evidence supports this being the best option, it's just politically unpalatable.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"All the evidence supports this being the best option, it's just politically unpalatable. "

Really ?

My opinion is a MIDLAND location would be the most practical option

It's about time good sense illustrated that the UK must not be South East centric

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"All the evidence supports this being the best option, it's just politically unpalatable.

Really ?

It's about time good sense illustrated that the UK must not be South East centric "

About time they put their money where there mouths are. Or is the shit they talk about "powerhouses", just that..shit?

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"

It's about time good sense illustrated that the UK must not be South East centric "

It's where the money is. The LGW proposal would have been 100% privately financed

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I thought the logic of HS2 was to enable the wealth-generation of London to migrate outwards towards Birmingham and the like.

Investing in Birmingham Airport to compete with Heathrow would seem the next logical stop to accelerate that notion.

Without it, I suspect HS2 will do the opposite and just suck more into London, not out of.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

All roads lead to London.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"All the evidence supports this being the best option, it's just politically unpalatable.

Really ?

People in the Midlands and the North are too poor to go in holiday, they don't need an airport.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Really ?

It's about time good sense illustrated that the UK must not be South East centric

People in the Midlands and the North are too poor to go in holiday, they don't need an airport. "

Don't need an airport for a week in a caravan at "Skeg Vegas,"!

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"All roads lead to London. "

The M62 doesn't.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"All roads lead to London.

The M62 doesn't."

I bet it links to a road that links to a road that does

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

We need an international hub that can cope with future expansion requirements. It needs to be far enough away from major population centres (at some point there is going to be a major indecent and a plane on approach to a city hub is going to drop out of the sky onto the city below). So no, no Heathrow 3, in fact Heathrow really should be shut down and replaced by a purpose built international hub with first class transport links to major population centres.

But this will not happen as it would 'cost' too much (until a jumbo crashes into Parliament or the city when suddenly there will be all the money and political will needed plus more!).

Just my opinion and musings...

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think it's needed and better than Gatwick or an alternative. That said, they should improve Birmingham airport flights and other regional airports. Public transport also needs a massive upgrade, beyond HS2, which i dislike.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

Absolute insanity, its a bad place for fog and I cant see how they will be able to use it anywhere near capacity in bad weather, they cant now let alone add another runway, how are all the extra passengers going to arrive the M2/25 are car parks now and get worse every year. 750 houses to be flatened and its in one corner of the country. Far better to build a new airport alongside HS2 towards Brum,it would take less time to get into central london on that than it does from heathrow

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm absolutely against airport expansion full stop!.

38,000 tonnes of burnt and unburnt kerosene fall down onto people every day.

It's criminal and no other industry would get away with killing people like the transport industry does

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"

It's where the money is. The LGW proposal would have been 100% privately financed "

Birmingham area is less than 100 miles away with fantastic rail road and canal links with vast capacity for parking and housing

The money could flex to 100 miles I'm quite sure !

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"We need an international hub that can cope with future expansion requirements. It needs to be far enough away from major population centres (at some point there is going to be a major indecent and a plane on approach to a city hub is going to drop out of the sky onto the city below). So no, no Heathrow 3, in fact Heathrow really should be shut down and replaced by a purpose built international hub with first class transport links to major population centres.

But this will not happen as it would 'cost' too much (until a jumbo crashes into Parliament or the city when suddenly there will be all the money and political will needed plus more!).

Just my opinion and musings..."

Like the Boris idea for a Thames Estuary island airport?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Absolute insanity, its a bad place for fog and I cant see how they will be able to use it anywhere near capacity in bad weather, they cant now let alone add another runway, how are all the extra passengers going to arrive the M2/25 are car parks now and get worse every year. 750 houses to be flatened and its in one corner of the country. Far better to build a new airport alongside HS2 towards Brum,it would take less time to get into central london on that than it does from heathrow"

I think this is yet another case of the London bubble getting all the investment while the rest of the country gets ignored. London centric politicians in Westminster who think the world ends at the M25. I think the rest of the country outside of London are getting pretty fed up with it.

So much for George Osborne's 'Northern Powerhouse'

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Completely against as the cost in the middle of London is crazy and ignores the rest of the country.

Greyling and all parties do not give a damn about the rest of the country,example the problems with Northern Rail.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Completely against as the cost in the middle of London is crazy and ignores the rest of the country.

Greyling and all parties do not give a damn about the rest of the country,example the problems with Northern Rail."

Same with the M6 toll road in the Midlands. You can bet if it was in London then the road would have been free to use. In the Midlands, no you can pay a toll for it. As a result the M6 toll road has become a white elephant that no one wants to use and it's effect of reducing congestion on the M6 has been minimal.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

The M62 doesn't.

I bet it links to a road that links to a road that does "

So all roads lead to Bolton, Leamington Spa and Stoneybridge?...eventually

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

The M62 doesn't.

I bet it links to a road that links to a road that does

So all roads lead to Bolton, Leamington Spa and Stoneybridge?...eventually "

True, but they go via London first

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"Absolute insanity, its a bad place for fog and I cant see how they will be able to use it anywhere near capacity in bad weather, they cant now let alone add another runway, how are all the extra passengers going to arrive the M2/25 are car parks now and get worse every year. 750 houses to be flatened and its in one corner of the country. Far better to build a new airport alongside HS2 towards Brum,it would take less time to get into central london on that than it does from heathrow"

If you're taking the M2 to Gatwick then you're a bit lost

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Or Heathrow even!

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"Completely against as the cost in the middle of London is crazy and ignores the rest of the country.

Greyling and all parties do not give a damn about the rest of the country,example the problems with Northern Rail.

Same with the M6 toll road in the Midlands. You can bet if it was in London then the road would have been free to use. In the Midlands, no you can pay a toll for it. As a result the M6 toll road has become a white elephant that no one wants to use and it's effect of reducing congestion on the M6 has been minimal. "

Just like that Dartford river crossing eh

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Same with the M6 toll road in the Midlands. You can bet if it was in London then the road would have been free to use. In the Midlands, no you can pay a toll for it. As a result the M6 toll road has become a white elephant that no one wants to use and it's effect of reducing congestion on the M6 has been minimal.

Just like that Dartford river crossing eh "

Big difference, the Dartford crossing is part of the M25!

In the Midlands you have a choice between the M6 or the M6 toll. Which route would you chose? The free M6 or pay a fee on the M6 toll?

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

You've a choice between Dartford crossing or the Blackwell tunnel

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"You've a choice between Dartford crossing or the Blackwell tunnel "

Now don't you be forgetting the proposed new Thames crossing into Kent!

A cool £6 billion estimated

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"Absolute insanity, its a bad place for fog and I cant see how they will be able to use it anywhere near capacity in bad weather, they cant now let alone add another runway, how are all the extra passengers going to arrive the M2/25 are car parks now and get worse every year. 750 houses to be flatened and its in one corner of the country. Far better to build a new airport alongside HS2 towards Brum,it would take less time to get into central london on that than it does from heathrow

If you're taking the M2 to Gatwick then you're a bit lost "

Yes by the time I saw that I had put m2 not m4 I couldnt edit it and thought we were talking heathrow not gatwick, only ever used heathrow once I think we always seem to get gatwick flights, but use bristol as a preference

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Just like that Dartford river crossing eh "

Nope, that is a false equivalence.

The Dartford Crossing, like the Severn Bridge, the Forth Road Bridge, Humber Bridge and the Skye Bridge were built as fast alternatives to the ferry service (that charged for the crossing) that was there previously. The M6 toll is a tolled alternative to widening the M6 and the equivalent would be to build a second M25 the M3 and M1 and make it a toll road. Of course the M6 toll has led to the Mersey Gateway Bridge, where now the old Runcorn Bridge where a previously free bridge is now tolled with plans to extend the tolls to the Mersey and Ship Canal crossings in Warrington.

Funny how there are no similar plans in the South East.

over a year ago

i was under the impression that a lot of land round heathrow had been bought up by people not happy with the 3rd runway idea.

i can see years of legal stuff going on just to get planning permission.

the 3rd runway is many years away if ever!

over a year ago

i think Emma Thompson and Alistair McGowan and a thousand others bout land. i might be wrong

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"i think Emma Thompson and Alistair McGowan and a thousand others bout land. i might be wrong"

They were amongst many celebrities and others that got caught up in a Greenpeace stunt.

Greenpeace quietly sold the land back to the landlords.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"i was under the impression that a lot of land round heathrow had been bought up by people not happy with the 3rd runway idea.

i can see years of legal stuff going on just to get planning permission.

the 3rd runway is many years away if ever!"

Compulsory purchase will make that pointless unless they divide it into tiny parcels with thousands of owners to make it a paperchase nightmare

over a year ago

Hs2 is still facing legal problems. Heathrow will be no different

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"Hs2 is still facing legal problems. Heathrow will be no different "

I accept that but it wont stop it just cost the british taxpayer more money to line the pockets of the legal profession.

For the record I like HS2 but think heathrow 3rd runway is stupid

over a year ago

3rd runway. Not I think in my lifetime

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"3rd runway. Not I think in my lifetime "

I hope youre right, it needs building in the centre of the country so we all benefit, right alongside HS2 to get a fast rail link to the rest of us

over a year ago

Airport your right Hs2 your not. Let's sort out our currant rail problems first before creating a new one

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Truth is what is needed is a freight/transfer hub and to be honest Prestwich of somewhere on the West coast that is fog free for 360 days a year is what is needed.

In fact turning Anglesea into such a hub would be pretty much perfect. Will never happen because any international hub needs to be in London (politically) regardless of its economic drawbacks.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"Airport your right Hs2 your not. Let's sort out our currant rail problems first before creating a new one "

You cant run higher speed trains on the current lines, everyone accepts that, the trains are a victim of their own success,huge numbers use them compared to the old BR days despite the useless companies that seem to run them

over a year ago

nationalization is the answer

Post new Message to Thread