Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

May the feminist and abortion

Jump to newest

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Is May sufficiently strong enough as a feminist to want to ensure that abortion law reform for Northern Ireland is investigated quickly? Or more concerned for herself and the power sharing/support that the DUP delivers?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Is May sufficiently strong enough as a feminist to want to ensure that abortion law reform for Northern Ireland is investigated quickly? Or more concerned for herself and the power sharing/support that the DUP delivers?"

It's not for Theresa May or Westminster to decide, this is a devolved issue in Northern Ireland and should be left to the power sharing executive in Stormont to decide upon once it's back up and running.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Is May sufficiently strong enough as a feminist to want to ensure that abortion law reform for Northern Ireland is investigated quickly? Or more concerned for herself and the power sharing/support that the DUP delivers?"
The people of Northern Ireland are quite capable of resolving this issue themselves. That is why we have our elected MPs and a majority party in Northern Ireland to look after our interests.

By *espectful_KinksterMan
over a year ago

Abergele

What has it got to do with the PM? Devolved issues...

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"What has it got to do with the PM? Devolved issues..."

Nothing really. However because the Stormont parliament is suspended at the moment Labour are just jumping on the bandwagon from the Irish referendum to try and make it the PM's problem.

While the day to day running of Northern Ireland is the responsibility of Westminster at the moment, big decisions such as this should wait for Stormont to be reinstated.

The Labour party know this but seem hell bent on using it as an issue against the PM.

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

She will obfuscate.....doesnt want to upset the delightful DUP with their medieval views and attitudes

By *urve BallWoman
over a year ago

North London

"Is May sufficiently strong enough as a feminist to want to ensure that abortion law reform for Northern Ireland is investigated quickly? Or more concerned for herself and the power sharing/support that the DUP delivers?

It's not for Theresa May or Westminster to decide, this is a devolved issue in Northern Ireland and should be left to the power sharing executive in Stormont to decide upon once it's back up and running. "

How convenient!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What has it got to do with the PM? Devolved issues..."

because where "health" is devolved... because abortion law in NI is so strict it could be see as "human rights" and that is not devolved.....

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"It's not for Theresa May or Westminster to decide, this is a devolved issue in Northern Ireland and should be left to the power sharing executive in Stormont to decide upon once it's back up and running. "

What a crock!

The Maybot is only a feminist when it suits her and that is when it gains votes for the Tories without costing anything. Tory party ethics are simple, party before country and power before everything.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Is May sufficiently strong enough as a feminist to want to ensure that abortion law reform for Northern Ireland is investigated quickly? Or more concerned for herself and the power sharing/support that the DUP delivers?

It's not for Theresa May or Westminster to decide, this is a devolved issue in Northern Ireland and should be left to the power sharing executive in Stormont to decide upon once it's back up and running. "

What about a referendum? Then it's up to the people of NI, not the politicians.

over a year ago

according to info wars she's a hermaphroditic lizard from alpha centauri ... alex jones says he has proof but no one is alowed to see it

over a year ago

She will obfuscate.....doesnt want to upset the delightful DUP with their medieval views and attitudes"

Plus the billion quid she used of our money to buy her position in no. 10 could be wasted by upsetting the DUP

over a year ago

She will obfuscate.....doesnt want to upset the delightful DUP with their medieval views and attitudes

Plus the billion quid she used of our money to buy her position in no. 10 could be wasted by upsetting the DUP"

Money which was used for the benefit of every citizen of Northern Ireland regardless of which party they supported.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Plus the billion quid she used of our money to buy her position in no. 10 could be wasted by upsetting the DUP Money which was used for the benefit of every citizen of Northern Ireland regardless of which party they supported. "

What proof do you have to show more wasn't spent in DUP areas?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

" Money which was used for the benefit of every citizen of Northern Ireland regardless of which party they supported. "

okay... let me ask you flat out? do you agree with the strict interpretation of the northern ireland abortion law......

even in cases of sexual crimes??? (the site doesn't allow the use of the "r" word or the "i" word.....)

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/05/18 22:25:45]

over a year ago

Plus the billion quid she used of our money to buy her position in no. 10 could be wasted by upsetting the DUP Money which was used for the benefit of every citizen of Northern Ireland regardless of which party they supported.

What proof do you have to show more wasn't spent in DUP areas? "

Certainly not on women's welfare

over a year ago

Plus the billion quid she used of our money to buy her position in no. 10 could be wasted by upsetting the DUP Money which was used for the benefit of every citizen of Northern Ireland regardless of which party they supported.

What proof do you have to show more wasn't spent in DUP areas? "

To date no one has complained about how the money will be spent ( I am referring to Northern Ireland residents ).

over a year ago

" Money which was used for the benefit of every citizen of Northern Ireland regardless of which party they supported.

okay... let me ask you flat out? do you agree with the strict interpretation of the northern ireland abortion law......

even in cases of sexual crimes??? (the site doesn't allow the use of the "r" word or the "i" word.....)"

That is a question that you can direct to the Northern Ireland electorate who I am certain are quite capable of managing their own affairs..

over a year ago

" That is a question that you can direct to the Northern Ireland electorate who I am certain are quite capable of managing their own affairs.."

clearly not when the region is under direct rule by the english pmsl

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

What proof do you have to show more wasn't spent in DUP areas? To date no one has complained about how the money will be spent ( I am referring to Northern Ireland residents )."

No one? Really? Are you sure?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

" Money which was used for the benefit of every citizen of Northern Ireland regardless of which party they supported.

even in cases of sexual crimes??? (the site doesn't allow the use of the "r" word or the "i" word.....) That is a question that you can direct to the Northern Ireland electorate who I am certain are quite capable of managing their own affairs.."

So let them have a referendum on the issue then.

over a year ago

even in cases of sexual crimes??? (the site doesn't allow the use of the "r" word or the "i" word.....) That is a question that you can direct to the Northern Ireland electorate who I am certain are quite capable of managing their own affairs..

So let them have a referendum on the issue then. "

that would seem sensible but it could end up simple been a vote on Sectarian lines !

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

even in cases of sexual crimes??? (the site doesn't allow the use of the "r" word or the "i" word.....) That is a question that you can direct to the Northern Ireland electorate who I am certain are quite capable of managing their own affairs..

So let them have a referendum on the issue then. that would seem sensible but it could end up simple been a vote on Sectarian lines !"

Either way, the people will have their say.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

What proof do you have to show more wasn't spent in DUP areas? To date no one has complained about how the money will be spent ( I am referring to Northern Ireland residents )."

Gerry Adams of Sinn Fein certainly didn't complain. Upon hearing the news he said "it's a very good thing that Northern Ireland will be getting extra money".

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think issues such as this show May up for what she is - not particularly principled or humanitarian in her 'care' for people. She'd implemented policies that wrecked lives of the Windrush families. The poor Grenfell victims weren't cared for.

She's a heartless opportunist - a feminist when convenient. The Irish referendum posed potential for her to show her colours and speak out for women's rights and health. It's something that is affecting people today, so it's inappropriate to do nothing, even where there may be devolution. A referendum could be initiated.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

[Removed by poster at 29/05/18 11:11:07]

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

even in cases of sexual crimes??? (the site doesn't allow the use of the "r" word or the "i" word.....)

That is a question that you can direct to the Northern Ireland electorate who I am certain are quite capable of managing their own affairs.."

thanks for the kop out answer.......I was asking your personal opinion, but the standard reply is as much of an insight as anything else...

so as someone else said, why not then let the people of northern ireland have the final decision in the form of a referendum,....

the problem at the moment is that the DUP have a veto on it regardless of any decision that was made in stormont... because of the "cross community element"

I think what has scared the DUP is they did not expect the outcome in the South to be as large as it was.......

over a year ago

Does anyone from northern Ireland here not support legalising abortion? I could not believe some of the stuff I just heard on the radio

over a year ago

"Does anyone from northern Ireland here not support legalising abortion? I could not believe some of the stuff I just heard on the radio "

I think the fossils who make up the DUP days are numbered as more and more people are realising just how much in the dark ages the north is.

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Does anyone from northern Ireland here not support legalising abortion? I could not believe some of the stuff I just heard on the radio

I think the fossils who make up the DUP days are numbered as more and more people are realising just how much in the dark ages the north is.

"

I've heard opinion poll results showing very clear acceptance of it being a right that women should have, across the political spectrum of NI adults.

The current punishments for women are really tough, so it's revealing that a 'feminist' like May was very quiet after the weekend result, until almost all other people had spoken out. She's only thinking of herself.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The Supreme Court have just basically given may cover to change the law.... I wonder if she will do it... or whether to make labour put in an amendment

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"The Supreme Court have just basically given may cover to change the law.... I wonder if she will do it... or whether to make labour put in an amendment

"

Hasn't Stella Creasy obtained a debate in the Commons?

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"The Supreme Court have just basically given may cover to change the law.... I wonder if she will do it... or whether to make labour put in an amendment "

It has been shown to be a substantial human rights issue and it is immoral for May - as Prime Minister (not to mention any claim as a feminist) not to pursue immediate recourse to resolve this. May be she should be tried for human rights abuses! I also note that Nicola Sturgeon may be remaining somewhat quiet on this issue, as it has impact upon devolved powers, a subject dear to her heart.

By *ionaScarletTV/TS
over a year ago

Dundee

"The Supreme Court have just basically given may cover to change the law.... I wonder if she will do it... or whether to make labour put in an amendment

It has been shown to be a substantial human rights issue and it is immoral for May - as Prime Minister (not to mention any claim as a feminist) not to pursue immediate recourse to resolve this. May be she should be tried for human rights abuses! I also note that Nicola Sturgeon may be remaining somewhat quiet on this issue, as it has impact upon devolved powers, a subject dear to her heart. "

wait what? The DUP are medieaval nut jobs - May and the Tories are dithering and morally bankrupt, Labour are political opportunists using the issue to wound the government.

but somehow... SNP bad!

Bravo! Do you write for the Daily Record by any chance?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It has been shown to be a substantial human rights issue and it is immoral for May - as Prime Minister (not to mention any claim as a feminist) not to pursue immediate recourse to resolve this. May be she should be tried for human rights abuses! I also note that Nicola Sturgeon may be remaining somewhat quiet on this issue, as it has impact upon devolved powers, a subject dear to her heart.

wait what? The DUP are medieaval nut jobs - May and the Tories are dithering and morally bankrupt, Labour are political opportunists using the issue to wound the government.

but somehow... SNP bad!

Bravo! Do you write for the Daily Record by any chance?"

I don’t think they are saying sturgeon bad... I think sturgeon is in an awkward position in that she is firmly pro choice... but if she pushes may on this issue she is effectively saying that human rights trump devolved rights!

Sturgeon and foster don’t particularly like each other on this issue as foster hates that sturgeon has given Northern Irish women a get around by offering the Scottish nhs to do this...

It will be interesting to see if snp mps vote for the creasy amendment

By *lara_JamieCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

So do we wait another several months or years whilst they sort themselves out?! They should be brought into line with the rest and the 21st Century. Jeez. Welcome to Northern Ireland. Set your watch back to 1976.

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

but somehow... SNP bad!

Bravo! Do you write for the Daily Record by any chance?"

Golly no. The DUP appear closed to this being a human rights issue, wanting to cling to the past. I 'noted' that Nicola Sturgeon had been quiet on the issue, since the Judges spoke: she has opened NHS Scotland services for abortion, to NI women, a highly commendable action and is forthright on abortion being an important right for women generally. There's no criticism in that from me, in fact it's the reverse.

The issue of devolved powers and Ms Sturgeon's response on this newest development was covered well by Fabio. Sturgeon is highly astute and probably better to leave May to hang herself. I think it's clear that May is a opportunist 'feminist', when it suits her.

The UK wide legislation that restricts UK abortions is the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act, which had a 1967 amendment to it. This UK legislation could be amended, which could provide greater freedom for the NI parliament, when it is reconvened and the NI population. May is largely tyring to keep her DUP politician partners happy, illustrating how power for politicians is more important than basic human rights for citizens.

Post new Message to Thread