FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Guardian/ICM poll gives clear majority to leave customs union.

Jump to newest

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

A poll conducted by the Guardian newspaper and ICM released yesterday gave a clear majority to leave the customs union fully.

3 questions were put to those surveyed and the results were as follows.....

1. It is very important to leave the customs union properly so the Uk can strike it's own trade deals = 35%

2. It is very important to stay in the customs union so firms can trade with the EU more easily = 24%

3. The best solution may involve some sort of compromise, perhaps along the lines of the customs partnership, because both the alternative proposals are both flawed = 26%

So with a clear majority of over 10 points for fully leaving the customs union in this poll, and with a clear majority of cabinet ministers seemingly agreeing with the poll results, Theresa May should just bin the customs partnership idea and crack on with the Brexiters preferred version of a customs arrangement where we fully leave the customs union.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’m struggling to find the source here other than an unlinked twitter post. Where did you see this ?

over a year ago

STRIKE OUR OWN TRADE DEALS.....

God that's got a good ring to it hasn't it....

Strike our own trade deals...

just gives you a hard on rolling those words off your tounge.... try it...

Strike our OWN TRADE DEALS.....

Invigorating isn't it.

Ignoring the fact we're not a manufacturing nation when talking % of GDP, we don't export anywhere enough to improve our position if services are not included in a trade deal, which by your own admission is not something normally associated with trade deals at all.

But, Strike our own trade deals...

Fuck me, it's getting me moist

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"I’m struggling to find the source here other than an unlinked twitter post. Where did you see this ?"

The Guardian online. I saw it reported on sky news earlier today so I did a simple straightforward Google search. The poll came up on the first page of Google results.

over a year ago

What were your search terms ? Guardian icm poll draws a blank.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

OP, please can you provide a direct link to the guardian article?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

I can't seem to find it on either the Guardian, or on Sky News where you said you saw it. I did see an article on Sky News about how Brexit is exactly what Putin wants though.

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"What were your search terms ? Guardian icm poll draws a blank. "

Search term I used on Google was...."Guardian poll gives clear result to leave customs union May 2018".

Then when results come up I clicked on the 5th one down, from the Guardian online which says "3 hours ago"

The main headline on the Guardian page says "Theresa May holds press conference with Turkish president - Politics live".

Just under the headline where it says updated 3 hours ago you'll see 3 bullet points, the top one says "Leaving customs union clearly most popular Brexit customs option - poll".

Click on it to take you straight to the section on the Guardian/ICM poll.

I'm reluctant to post a direct link to the page as _xplicitlyrics said he got a forum ban on here for posting a direct link to the Guardian before. I'm not about to get a forum ban at the request of a remainer.

over a year ago

Thanks. One hell of an effort tho !

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"A poll conducted by the Guardian newspaper and ICM released yesterday gave a clear majority to leave the customs union fully.

1. It is very important to leave the customs union properly so the Uk can strike it's own trade deals = 35%

2. It is very important to stay in the customs union so firms can trade with the EU more easily = 24%

3. The best solution may involve some sort of compromise, perhaps along the lines of the customs partnership, because both the alternative proposals are both flawed = 26%

So with a clear majority of over 10 points for fully leaving the customs union in this poll, and with a clear majority of cabinet ministers seemingly agreeing with the poll results, Theresa May should just bin the customs partnership idea and crack on with the Brexiters preferred version of a customs arrangement where we fully leave the customs union.

"

you could look at it that way..... i prefer to think of it that 65% of people don't want to be dragged over the brexit cliff by the hard brexiteers.....

funny how the same poll can be constued many different ways......

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"Thanks. One hell of an effort tho ! "

Well it was reported on sky news earlier today. Will probably be in the printed hard copy Guardian newspaper tomorrow.

over a year ago

"Thanks. One hell of an effort tho !

Well it was reported on sky news earlier today. Will probably be in the printed hard copy Guardian newspaper tomorrow. "

other than your five step process I was getting no where fast.

Like everything in brexit world it’s not a clear cut decision. It’s interedting to see for every 2 leavers who want a clean cut there’s another who doesn’t. Kinda undermines the statement people make about leavers knowing what they voted for... or at least having the same common view ....

Appreciate you sharing this tho. And the steps to see it. Oh. And wasn’t trying to trick you into a ban...

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

Well it was reported on sky news earlier today. Will probably be in the printed hard copy Guardian newspaper tomorrow. other than your five step process I was getting no where fast.

Like everything in brexit world it’s not a clear cut decision. It’s interedting to see for every 2 leavers who want a clean cut there’s another who doesn’t. Kinda undermines the statement people make about leavers knowing what they voted for... or at least having the same common view ....

Appreciate you sharing this tho. And the steps to see it. Oh. And wasn’t trying to trick you into a ban... "

I'm thinking the remain leaning Guardian didn't like the results of the poll and maybe they are now trying to bury them or hide the poll result under other stories? Too cynical?

over a year ago

Well it was reported on sky news earlier today. Will probably be in the printed hard copy Guardian newspaper tomorrow. other than your five step process I was getting no where fast.

Appreciate you sharing this tho. And the steps to see it. Oh. And wasn’t trying to trick you into a ban...

I'm thinking the remain leaning Guardian didn't like the results of the poll and maybe they are now trying to bury them or hide the poll result under other stories? Too cynical? "

Not sure how much control they have over google tho ! I’m also not sure who out of leave and remain sees these results as being positive. In my mind it’s just added confusion about what “the will of the people” really is ....

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

For those of you tgat can't use google, here is tge title of tge guardian's poll. On line today.

Leaving customs union properly is most popular post-Brexit customs option, poll suggests

over a year ago

"For those of you tgat can't use google, here is tge title of tge guardian's poll. On line today.

Leaving customs union properly is most popular post-Brexit customs option, poll suggests"

Good sarcasm. Even then it’s buried under a different headline. And the second link after reddit.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Funny how often less than 40% of those polled becomes a clear majority, and 52% of those that voted becomes an overwhelming majority. In the second case those who didn't vote plus those that did not vote the 'right' way, although the majority of the population, need to suck it up and stop complaining as they watch everything go to shit. In the first case it is proof that those that did vote the 'right' way have a clear mandate to force the majority of those who live here to 'shut the fuck up' and do as they are told.

Nothing quite like the democratic process being used in the same way as the Nazi's used it in the 1930's to take over Germany. Anyone remember how it worked out for Germany and especially those who drove that whole political movement? I wonder am I the only one who sees similarities in the attitudes of the Brexit leaders and faithful and the Nazi's prior to WW2?

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS
over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

"A poll conducted by the Guardian newspaper and ICM released yesterday gave a clear majority to leave the customs union fully.

"

In the binary world you live in perhaps. Or perhaps 50% of people surveyed did not want to leave the customs union totally.

But no, we will go back to looking at it your way so as not to confuse you.

over a year ago

35% + 24% + 26% = 85%

What happened the other 15%

By *urve BallWoman
over a year ago

North London

"35% + 24% + 26% = 85%

What happened the other 15% "

Two possibilities (choose as you will):

A. Accuracy was never a brexit trate anyway

B. They left the country to join a customs union!

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"35% + 24% + 26% = 85%

Write to the Guardian and ask, it's their poll.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"35% + 24% + 26% = 85%

15% answered "don't know". So the overwhelming majority 65%, don't want to fully Leave the CU.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

35% is a plurality, not a majority. And I thought you didnt believe in polling any more?

And as for the results you can interpret it a few ways. For example 50% (or 58% if you remove undecideds) say UK should be in either the customs union or a customs partnership which is a resounding endorsement of a soft brexit.

over a year ago

"Funny how often less than 40% of those polled becomes a clear majority, and 52% of those that voted becomes an overwhelming majority. In the second case those who didn't vote plus those that did not vote the 'right' way, although the majority of the population, need to suck it up and stop complaining as they watch everything go to shit. In the first case it is proof that those that did vote the 'right' way have a clear mandate to force the majority of those who live here to 'shut the fuck up' and do as they are told.

Nothing quite like the democratic process being used in the same way as the Nazi's used it in the 1930's to take over Germany. Anyone remember how it worked out for Germany and especially those who drove that whole political movement? I wonder am I the only one who sees similarities in the attitudes of the Brexit leaders and faithful and the Nazi's prior to WW2?"

Didn't you vote Leave?

over a year ago

"Funny how often less than 40% of those polled becomes a clear majority, and 52% of those that voted becomes an overwhelming majority. In the second case those who didn't vote plus those that did not vote the 'right' way, although the majority of the population, need to suck it up and stop complaining as they watch everything go to shit. In the first case it is proof that those that did vote the 'right' way have a clear mandate to force the majority of those who live here to 'shut the fuck up' and do as they are told.

Nothing quite like the democratic process being used in the same way as the Nazi's used it in the 1930's to take over Germany. Anyone remember how it worked out for Germany and especially those who drove that whole political movement? I wonder am I the only one who sees similarities in the attitudes of the Brexit leaders and faithful and the Nazi's prior to WW2?

Didn't you vote Leave?"

Voted leave, got the popcorn out and enjoyed the dogshow. And the comparison to Nazi Germany is ridiculous.

I didnt vote at all because I really wasnt sure, but I cannot believe what a mess it has become. It is like watching a bunch of amateurs. The worst are those politicians using the issue to further their own cause. And the way the government is laying out its own directionless confusion in front of the world is painful to watch.

There really should be a public vote at the end of this to approve the final deal.... or not

over a year ago

I read an article in the BBC feed which compared all the EU borders and how they work. It differs dramatically depending on the 3rd country status.

Norway(EEA) Sweden about a 20 min delay per truck 10,000 a day use the border.

Turkey (Customs Union of sorts) Bulgaria here there is a delay of 4 hours and up to 24 hours in peak.

Switzerland (treaty of sorts) France about 15-20 mins delay per truck.

So a frictionless border is la la land there is no border anywhere in the world which does what the UK want.

On a final note the UK are in court at the moment for not stopping counterfeit goods entering the EU - apparently the UK is the best option for smuggling into EU. UK want to take control of their borders but equally so do the EU. No simple fix.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

Didn't you vote Leave?"

He did vote leave so he got what HE voted for, he just likes to be a drama queen

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

How many people who took part in this survey, or the 2016 referendum, had ever heard of "customs union" or understood what the term means?

By *orningtonCroissantMan
over a year ago

notts and humberside

Nothing quite like the democratic process being used in the same way as the Nazi's used it in the 1930's to take over Germany. Anyone remember how it worked out for Germany and especially those who drove that whole political movement? I wonder am I the only one who sees similarities in the attitudes of the Brexit leaders and faithful and the Nazi's prior to WW2?"

Hitler was a fan of referendums- you can get people to agree to anything

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"I can't seem to find it on either the Guardian, or on Sky News where you said you saw it. I did see an article on Sky News about how Brexit is exactly what Putin wants though. "

Not surprising you couldn't find this Guardian/ICM poll CLCC, as you couldn't find the Populous poll which gave the remain campaign a 10 point lead on the eve of the EU referendum just a few days ago on the Irish border thread either. This is TWICE in the space of a week you've demonstrated your complete lack of ability to use a simple Internet search engine like Google.

over a year ago

"I can't seem to find it on either the Guardian, or on Sky News where you said you saw it. I did see an article on Sky News about how Brexit is exactly what Putin wants though.

Not surprising you couldn't find this Guardian/ICM poll CLCC, as you couldn't find the Populous poll which gave the remain campaign a 10 point lead on the eve of the EU referendum just a few days ago on the Irish border thread either. This is TWICE in the space of a week you've demonstrated your complete lack of ability to use a simple Internet search engine like Google. "

Just did a search using 'Guardian poll gives clear result to leave customs union May 2018' and found it straight away.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I can't seem to find it on either the Guardian, or on Sky News where you said you saw it. I did see an article on Sky News about how Brexit is exactly what Putin wants though.

Not surprising you couldn't find this Guardian/ICM poll CLCC, as you couldn't find the Populous poll which gave the remain campaign a 10 point lead on the eve of the EU referendum just a few days ago on the Irish border thread either. This is TWICE in the space of a week you've demonstrated your complete lack of ability to use a simple Internet search engine like Google. "

When people quote things, it's their responsibility to provide the source. You couldn't do that in either case.

In regards to a ten point lead, you had said that multiple polls had given that result, yet were again unable to provide any proof that multiple polls had given that result.

I know you are not trained in this field, but if making a claim or statement, it is then your responsibility to back it up.

over a year ago

Not surprising you couldn't find this Guardian/ICM poll CLCC, as you couldn't find the Populous poll which gave the remain campaign a 10 point lead on the eve of the EU referendum just a few days ago on the Irish border thread either. This is TWICE in the space of a week you've demonstrated your complete lack of ability to use a simple Internet search engine like Google.

When people quote things, it's their responsibility to provide the source. You couldn't do that in either case.

In regards to a ten point lead, you had said that multiple polls had given that result, yet were again unable to provide any proof that multiple polls had given that result.

I know you are not trained in this field, but if making a claim or statement, it is then your responsibility to back it up."

The OP gave step-by-step instructions how to search for the article with the poll.

I followed the instructions and found the article.

Have you done the same?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

I know you are not trained in this field, but if making a claim or statement, it is then your responsibility to back it up.

The OP gave step-by-step instructions how to search for the article with the poll.

Have you done the same?

"

No, his instruction didn't work, I found the article a different way.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It is very important to stay in the customs union, so firms can trade with the EU more easily: 24%

The best solution might involve some sort of compromise, perhaps along the lines of the customs partnership, because the alternative proposals are both flawed: 26%

So 50% thought either to stay in the union or compromise and not leave, so the opposite of a win for not having any form of customs union membership/interaction.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"It is very important to stay in the customs union, so firms can trade with the EU more easily: 24%

The best solution might involve some sort of compromise, perhaps along the lines of the customs partnership, because the alternative proposals are both flawed: 26%

So 50% thought either to stay in the union or compromise and not leave, so the opposite of a win for not having any form of customs union membership/interaction."

Plus another 15% who wouldn't say that it was best to leave the customs union too

over a year ago

Have you done the same?

No, his instruction didn't work, I found the article a different way."

So what is the problem?

I notice you quoted an article about Putin yet didn't post a link.

Maybe you should practice what you preach?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Have you done the same?

So what is the problem?

Maybe you should practice what you preach?"

Here you go.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-is-precisely-what-vladimir-putin-wants-to-see-11372445

over a year ago

Have you done the same?

So what is the problem?

Maybe you should practice what you preach?

Here you go.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-is-precisely-what-vladimir-putin-wants-to-see-11372445"

Thank you.

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"It is very important to stay in the customs union, so firms can trade with the EU more easily: 24%

So 50% thought either to stay in the union or compromise and not leave, so the opposite of a win for not having any form of customs union membership/interaction."

The customs partnership plan preferred by Theresa May (option 3 which got 26% in the poll), is still leaving the customs union, as it would allow us to make our own trade deals around the world. You can't make your own trade deals if you stay in the customs union. So the 35% for a clean break with the customs union plus the 26% leaving the customs union for a customs partnership makes 61% total to leave the customs union in one form or another. Staying in the customs union (24%) added with the 15% (don't knows) only makes up a total of 39%. Whichever way you look at this poll the most popular option is to leave the customs union.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

So 50% thought either to stay in the union or compromise and not leave, so the opposite of a win for not having any form of customs union membership/interaction.

The customs partnership plan preferred by Theresa May (option 3 which got 26% in the poll), is still leaving the customs union, as it would allow us to make our own trade deals around the world. You can't make your own trade deals if you stay in the customs union. So the 35% for a clean break with the customs union plus the 26% leaving the customs union for a customs partnership makes 61% total to leave the customs union in one form or another. Staying in the customs union (24%) added with the 15% (don't knows) only makes up a total of 39%. Whichever way you look at this poll the most popular option is to leave the customs union. "

Can't you see that 65% of people DON'T want that?

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

The customs partnership plan preferred by Theresa May (option 3 which got 26% in the poll), is still leaving the customs union, as it would allow us to make our own trade deals around the world. You can't make your own trade deals if you stay in the customs union. So the 35% for a clean break with the customs union plus the 26% leaving the customs union for a customs partnership makes 61% total to leave the customs union in one form or another. Staying in the customs union (24%) added with the 15% (don't knows) only makes up a total of 39%. Whichever way you look at this poll the most popular option is to leave the customs union. "

Whichever way you look at it a customs agreement of some kind with the EU is the preferred option.

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

The customs partnership plan preferred by Theresa May (option 3 which got 26% in the poll), is still leaving the customs union, as it would allow us to make our own trade deals around the world. You can't make your own trade deals if you stay in the customs union. So the 35% for a clean break with the customs union plus the 26% leaving the customs union for a customs partnership makes 61% total to leave the customs union in one form or another. Staying in the customs union (24%) added with the 15% (don't knows) only makes up a total of 39%. Whichever way you look at this poll the most popular option is to leave the customs union.

Can't you see that 65% of people DON'T want that? "

Where did I say 65%??????

I said 61% from the numbers on the poll want to leave the customs union in one form or another.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

I said 61% from the numbers on the poll want to leave the customs union in one form or another. "

35% want a clean break 65% don't. 35+65=100

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

I said 61% from the numbers on the poll want to leave the customs union in one form or another.

35% want a clean break 65% don't. 35+65=100"

35% want a clean break.

26% want to leave the customs union and have a customs partnership instead.

35+26 = 61% to leave the customs union in one form or another.

24% want to stay in the customs union

15% don't know or don't care but being the kind soul that I am I'll be generous and give you those 15% who don't know or don't care.

24+15= 39%

61+39= 100

over a year ago

This all shows, as has been said before, the poll doesn’t really help any position claim the will of the people high ground.

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"This all shows, as has been said before, the poll doesn’t really help any position claim the will of the people high ground. "

The Guardian's own reporting on this and the way it was reported on sky news yesterday says the poll will be seen as a boost for Brexiters like Boris Johnson.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

We're leaving the customs union anyway, so who cares what a survey for a left-wing newspaper says?

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"We're leaving the customs union anyway, so who cares what a survey for a left-wing newspaper says?"

Sure youre trading customs union for regulatory alignment. Thats...a win...somehow.

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS
over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

"We're leaving the customs union anyway, so who cares what a survey for a left-wing newspaper says?

Sure youre trading customs union for regulatory alignment. Thats...a win...somehow. "

They're not though. They just want a hard Brexit.

Post new Message to Thread