Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

The Death of Expertise

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I thought this quote would make for a good open ended debate on god knows what:

“All voices, even the most ridiculous, demand to be taken with equal seriousness, and any claim to the contrary is dismissed as undemocratic elitism.”

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Hence the ridiculous scenes with the Alfie Evans child at Alder Hey hospital recently.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

When the minister for education says the country has had enough of experts, you know we have a problem.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"When the minister for education says the country has had enough of experts, you know we have a problem."
He is right thee is no such person as an expert in any field outside of science.

All economists are idiots in my view and I stand by that as I know as much as they do and know nothing I guess you do not understand me

By *avidnsa69Man
over a year ago

Essex

"When the minister for education says the country has had enough of experts, you know we have a problem.He is right thee is no such person as an expert in any field outside of science.

All economists are idiots in my view and I stand by that as I know as much as they do and know nothing I guess you do not understand me"

No expertise in any field outside of science? Utter tosh

By *eordiesCouple
over a year ago

newcastle

"I thought this quote would make for a good open ended debate on god knows what:

“All voices, even the most ridiculous, demand to be taken with equal seriousness, and any claim to the contrary is dismissed as undemocratic elitism.”"

Like it ! And so true.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"When the minister for education says the country has had enough of experts, you know we have a problem.He is right thee is no such person as an expert in any field outside of science.

All economists are idiots in my view and I stand by that as I know as much as they do and know nothing I guess you do not understand me

No expertise in any field outside of science? Utter tosh"

Yup, total, fucking bollocks.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Yup, total, fucking bollocks."

You would say that as you love quoting so called experts that talk rubbish,the sad thing is you believe them never mind

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Yup, total, fucking bollocks.You would say that as you love quoting so called experts that talk rubbish,the sad thing is you believe them never mind"

So you don't believe for example that there can be such a thing as an expert carpenter?

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Yup, total, fucking bollocks.You would say that as you love quoting so called experts that talk rubbish,the sad thing is you believe them never mind

So you don't believe for example that there can be such a thing as an expert carpenter? "

I'll believe an expert in origami, fly fishing and biochemistry...but an economist? I put about as much faith in those as I do a clairvoyant.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Yup, total, fucking bollocks.You would say that as you love quoting so called experts that talk rubbish,the sad thing is you believe them never mind

So you don't believe for example that there can be such a thing as an expert carpenter?

I'll believe an expert in origami, fly fishing and biochemistry...but an economist? I put about as much faith in those as I do a clairvoyant. "

Yet none of those are sciences, the poster I quoted believes there can only be experts in science

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I believe Richard Dawkins said very similar thibgs about a year ago on an episode of newsnight.

Sadly I think because economics has become the science of twisting statistics to suit one's own political agenda - atleast in the public eye, people refuse to accept you can have evidenced based economics.

I mean with sciences and engineering people are more willing to listen up s there are real life inlmplications which are clear - though once it gets complex people tend to tune oyt.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"I believe Richard Dawkins said very similar thibgs about a year ago on an episode of newsnight.

Sadly I think because economics has become the science of twisting statistics to suit one's own political agenda - atleast in the public eye, people refuse to accept you can have evidenced based economics.

I mean with sciences and engineering people are more willing to listen up s there are real life inlmplications which are clear - though once it gets complex people tend to tune oyt."

Not just economists though is it? Polling experts have got it wrong a hell of a lot over the last few years. Charlatans and more often than not you'd be better off phoning Mystic Megs hotline for an opinion rather than rely on what a polling expert says.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"I believe Richard Dawkins said very similar thibgs about a year ago on an episode of newsnight.

I mean with sciences and engineering people are more willing to listen up s there are real life inlmplications which are clear - though once it gets complex people tend to tune oyt.

Not just economists though is it? Polling experts have got it wrong a hell of a lot over the last few years. Charlatans and more often than not you'd be better off phoning Mystic Megs hotline for an opinion rather than rely on what a polling expert says. "

Except not. Polls come with +- numbers for a reason. In statistics there are always variances.

With the US election (which Im sure you'd like to talk about) the national polls were all dead on with the polls all within the margin of error for the national vote. The issue was people didnt think that with a national win as big as that that Trump would win the electoral college. 538.com is the leader in poll aggregation and gave Hillary only 2 to 1 odds of winning. YouGov predicted Brexit and the last election win by Cameron correctly as well.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

Not just economists though is it? Polling experts have got it wrong a hell of a lot over the last few years. Charlatans and more often than not you'd be better off phoning Mystic Megs hotline for an opinion rather than rely on what a polling expert says.

Except not. Polls come with +- numbers for a reason. In statistics there are always variances.

With the US election (which Im sure you'd like to talk about) the national polls were all dead on with the polls all within the margin of error for the national vote. The issue was people didnt think that with a national win as big as that that Trump would win the electoral college. 538.com is the leader in poll aggregation and gave Hillary only 2 to 1 odds of winning. YouGov predicted Brexit and the last election win by Cameron correctly as well."

In December 2015, YouGov produced a report on the GE of 2015, "what went wrong with our GE15 polling", the introduction of which says

"All the pre-election polls in the 2015 general election were wrong"

On 28th June 2016, John Curtice of You Gov wrote a paper titled 'Brexit Reflections...how the polls got it wrong again'.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

With the US election (which Im sure you'd like to talk about) the national polls were all dead on with the polls all within the margin of error for the national vote. The issue was people didnt think that with a national win as big as that that Trump would win the electoral college. 538.com is the leader in poll aggregation and gave Hillary only 2 to 1 odds of winning. YouGov predicted Brexit and the last election win by Cameron correctly as well.

In December 2015, YouGov produced a report on the GE of 2015, "what went wrong with our GE15 polling", the introduction of which says

On 28th June 2016, John Curtice of You Gov wrote a paper titled 'Brexit Reflections...how the polls got it wrong again'.

"

while we're giving out quotes economists at the bank of England said after the EU referendum result "we had our Michael Fish moment" in reference to another expert getting a weather forecast wildly wrong in the past.

Some polls put Remain 10 points ahead of leave on the eve of the EU referendum, which is way beyond the margin of error.

History is littered with examples of experts getting it wrong in various fields of expertise, which proves that experts don't always know best.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

I think some people may be confusing "expert" with "clairvoyant".....

over a year ago

while we're giving out quotes economists at the bank of England said after the EU referendum result "we had our Michael Fish moment" in reference to another expert getting a weather forecast wildly wrong in the past.

Some polls put Remain 10 points ahead of leave on the eve of the EU referendum, which is way beyond the margin of error.

History is littered with examples of experts getting it wrong in various fields of expertise, which proves that experts don't always know best. "

But nobody knew what was going on behind the scenes. Russian bots and the like manipulating the vote. It has never happened before so it was never a threat. To those who deny any wrong doing a simple question:

How many 23yr old art students get £690k thrown at them? It will all come out at some stage - what a murky mess it all was!

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

I didn't realise there were 17.5 million art students in the UK.

over a year ago

I blame Gove

While campaigning for the leave camp, the Tory MP Michael Gove declared "people in this country have had enough of experts" and even compared them to the Nazis who orchestrated a smear campaign against Albert Einstein in the 1930s.

Professor Brian Cox in reply to this said:

"It’s entirely wrong, and it’s the road back to the cave. The way we got out of the caves and into modern civilisation is through the process of understanding and thinking.

Those things were not done by gut instinct. Being an expert does not mean that you are someone with a vested interest in something; it means you spend your life studying something.

"You’re not necessarily right – but you’re more likely to be right than someone who’s not spent their life studying it."

over a year ago

History is littered with examples of experts getting it wrong in various fields of expertise, which proves that experts don't always know best. "

the fish quote was about the financial crisis.

There seems to be an expectation experts are infallible or fake. There’s a middle ground in which they are better predictors than the man in the street. But not perfect.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"I didn't realise there were 17.5 million art students in the UK."

Nor me, but I do know that Cameron's government unfairly gave the Remain campaign an extra £9 million in taxpayers cash for a pro EU propaganda leaflet that was sent to every house in the UK (£9 million which was not equally afforded to the leave side).

over a year ago

"I didn't realise there were 17.5 million art students in the UK."

And all on Twitter/Facebook.

over a year ago

It's not just brexit - look at the misuse of averages to incense the gender divide with emotional taglines.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Most of us happily rely on experts each day. If our health is affected, we'll visit medics, not quacks, we'll rely on systems built by experts to transport us - not running our own bridge or plane assessments etc before using them.

Politicians and others have attempted to damage the perception of experts, usually when the accuser actually wants to be credited with some aspects of being an expert instead. They can't have it both ways but don't seem to grasp the incoherence of their position.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

"It's not just brexit - look at the misuse of averages to incense the gender divide with emotional taglines."

Just when I thought it was possible for you to post on a thread without reference to your perceived victimisation at the hands of some vicious misandrists, you go and ruin it....

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"Most of us happily rely on experts each day. If our health is affected, we'll visit medics, not quacks, we'll rely on systems built by experts to transport us - not running our own bridge or plane assessments etc before using them.

Politicians and others have attempted to damage the perception of experts, usually when the accuser actually wants to be credited with some aspects of being an expert instead. They can't have it both ways but don't seem to grasp the incoherence of their position. "

Experts are only a bad thing when they tell certain people what they dont want to hear.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Most of us happily rely on experts each day. If our health is affected, we'll visit medics, not quacks, we'll rely on systems built by experts to transport us - not running our own bridge or plane assessments etc before using them.

Politicians and others have attempted to damage the perception of experts, usually when the accuser actually wants to be credited with some aspects of being an expert instead. They can't have it both ways but don't seem to grasp the incoherence of their position. "

Nah, why do I need some fucking "expert" at Samsung or Apple to build me a smart phone, I've got a screwdriver and a hammer at home, I'm sure I can figure it out.

Bloody morons, no experts my arse.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Politicians and others have attempted to damage the perception of experts, usually when the accuser actually wants to be credited with some aspects of being an expert instead. They can't have it both ways but don't seem to grasp the incoherence of their position.

Nah, why do I need some fucking "expert" at Samsung or Apple to build me a smart phone, I've got a screwdriver and a hammer at home, I'm sure I can figure it out.

Bloody morons, no experts my arse.

"

Be fair....six year olds can do it. They have to if they want to get paid.

over a year ago

"I blame Gove

While campaigning for the leave camp, the Tory MP Michael Gove declared "people in this country have had enough of experts" and even compared them to the Nazis who orchestrated a smear campaign against Albert Einstein in the 1930s.

Professor Brian Cox in reply to this said:

"It’s entirely wrong, and it’s the road back to the cave. The way we got out of the caves and into modern civilisation is through the process of understanding and thinking.

Those things were not done by gut instinct. Being an expert does not mean that you are someone with a vested interest in something; it means you spend your life studying something.

"You’re not necessarily right – but you’re more likely to be right than someone who’s not spent their life studying it." "

I'm hopeful Gove meant 'experts', rather than experts, as is he not mooted as the next UK PM? However, let's not judge....but God help you all.

Brian Cox sounds like a sound chap. Can he not become a politician or has he too much personal integrity?

over a year ago

"It's not just brexit - look at the misuse of averages to incense the gender divide with emotional taglines.

Just when I thought it was possible for you to post on a thread without reference to your perceived victimisation at the hands of some vicious misandrists, you go and ruin it.... "

Go way out of that, I don't feel victimised in the slightest...I do feel pissed off about misinformation though. It's about having standards.

over a year ago

Philip tetlock has done research about expert political productions.

There's plenty of videos on YouTube about his research.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Philip tetlock has done research about expert political productions.

There's plenty of videos on YouTube about his research. "

Are you suggesting he is an expert on the subject?

over a year ago

No I'm suggesting he has done lots of research about expertise.

over a year ago

Does that make his insights any better ?

over a year ago

"I didn't realise there were 17.5 million art students in the UK.

Nor me, but I do know that Cameron's government unfairly gave the Remain campaign an extra £9 million in taxpayers cash for a pro EU propaganda leaflet that was sent to every house in the UK (£9 million which was not equally afforded to the leave side). "

Which was legal and under the rules and everybody was aware of it - they may not have liked it but it wasn't "hidden" unlike the £12.5m which Aaron Bank's insurance company spent on the leave campaign - again apparently before the referendum and no mention of it other than as a note in the company accounts! So that just blows your argument out of the water!!!

over a year ago

"Does that make his insights any better ?"

It probably makes his insight into expertise better.

There's lots of videos on YouTube about his work.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"No I'm suggesting he has done lots of research about expertise. "

So you're saying he's not an expert on the subject?

Post new Message to Thread