FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Windrush - oversight or tip of an iceberg?

Jump to newest

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Anyone else thinks that the Windrush scandal is just the tip of an iceberg and that many more such stories are about to surface?

Or maybe you agree with Amber Rudd and Theresa May that it was just an oversight and a bit of compo for the Windrush generation is all that is needed?

Personally I believe that more will surface.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I agree with you.

May and chums wanted to create a culture of fear and intiimidation in order to achieve their political goal of bringing immigration down to less than 100,000.

Their hands were tied with EU nationals, so I suspect a lot of non EU nationals have been treat like shit on the shoes of the British.

The Tories have a long and ugly track record when it comes to foreigners.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I see the BBC is reportinghat Ministers set targets for the number of forced removals from the UK.

That nails it for me.

People treated like numbers, not people.

The objective being to hit a target, not whether someone has a right to be here or not.

Deport first, appeal later, May told the Commons.

Vicious, nasty and sociopathic.

By *sianmale89Man
over a year ago

Stockport

I personally feel it's worrying and also sad as well given those people have been living in this country since the 1960s and are now being given the boot? I get every individual case is different and they mentioned something about papers/biometric cards but this is a shock/hits close to home for me. This makes me worry about my parents and other relatives who all immigrated to the U.K. in the 1970s and have stayed since not to mention other people who have settled here long before too....just my outlook on it tbh

By *sianmale89Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Also I reckon this is just the tip off the iceberg, first they start off with this wind rush thing then god knows where it will lead to/end up?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

How many have been deported anyhow? Anybody know

over a year ago

Can this be defined as institutional racism.?

I think the 3 million EU citzens here must be very worried about their future considering the way the government is treating British citizens of colour.This all plays very badly on the world stage.What sort of country have we become.

over a year ago

"Can this be defined as institutional racism.?

I think the 3 million EU citzens here must be very worried about their future considering the way the government is treating British citizens of colour.This all plays very badly on the world stage.What sort of country have we become."

No I'm a big believer in not over complicating things with syndromes and isims, this is in my opinion a giant fuck up quite typical in the last 40 years of politicians and civil service, nobody ever ever gets there arse kicked and they're job and pension removed so they just act with complete impunity... No different than what we see in the banking industry.

It's time to start jailing people for gross incompetence that causes severe problems like we see here, if we did, we'd see far less of these situations

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I see the BBC is reportinghat Ministers set targets for the number of forced removals from the UK.

That nails it for me.

The objective being to hit a target, not whether someone has a right to be here or not.

Vicious, nasty and sociopathic."

Tend to agree..

Once the pressure is on to hit targets in any system then corners are cut even in a 'no blame' culture as the who, how or why becomes secondary to the need under pressure from above to meet the levels set often by those with no interest in anything but their reputation..

If we are treating the families of ex British armed forces in the manner we have then yes there is much more to come..

over a year ago

"Can this be defined as institutional racism.?

I think the 3 million EU citzens here must be very worried about their future considering the way the government is treating British citizens of colour.This all plays very badly on the world stage.What sort of country have we become..

No I'm a big believer in not over complicating things with syndromes and isims, this is in my opinion a giant fuck up quite typical in the last 40 years of politicians and civil service, nobody ever ever gets there arse kicked and they're job and pension removed so they just act with complete impunity... No different than what we see in the banking industry.

It's time to start jailing people for gross incompetence that causes severe problems like we see here, if we did, we'd see far less of these situations"

Amber Rudd will resign i think ,and there will be much wringing of hands and sincere apologies.However no one will be made accountable for this.It will be swept under the carpet and people wonder why ethnic minorities have no faith in government and it's institutions.Rightly or wrongly it will viewed as prejudice by the communities affected.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The problem amber Rudd has is that normally she would be able to point the finger at her predecessor... except in this case that would be TM and most of these issues happened on her watch

So amber will end up taking the fall

over a year ago

after watching rudd writhing in incompetent agony over the last 24hrs, will no one put her out of her misery for pity's sake?!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"after watching rudd writhing in incompetent agony over the last 24hrs, will no one put her out of her misery for pity's sake?!"

May can’t sack her.... and Tory mps know that and know why... all they can try to do is shift the subject to illegal immigration which the windrush issue isn’t

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

A day ago, Rudd said there were no targets.

Today she said there are.

They are being scrapped, but the target of 100,000 has changed.

Either she is a liar, asleep at the wheel, or both.

Keeping any sort if target will continue to drive punitive behaviour.

When will she realise every number is a human story?

How can any EU national here today have confidence they will be treated fairly tomorrow?

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

remained, not changed. the 100,000 figure

over a year ago

"The problem amber Rudd has is that normally she would be able to point the finger at her predecessor... except in this case that would be TM and most of these issues happened on her watch

So amber will end up taking the fall "

Crap Home Secretary crap Prime Minister!

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"after watching rudd writhing in incompetent agony over the last 24hrs, will no one put her out of her misery for pity's sake?!

May can’t sack her.... and Tory mps know that and know why... all they can try to do is shift the subject to illegal immigration which the windrush issue isn’t "

Sky news have done a data poll on the question, "should Amber Rudd resign?"

Result is...

41% yes she should resign

41% no she shouldn't resign

So the public are split down the middle on this.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

In any other era, May and her incompetent cohorts would have been long gone. The fact that people are putting up with it is because so many people view Corbyn, Abbott and crew as being an worse alternative. Terrible times.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"In any other era, May and her incompetent cohorts would have been long gone. The fact that people are putting up with it is because so many people view Corbyn, Abbott and crew as being an worse alternative. Terrible times."

Maybe. Or maybe it's because a general election needs to happen, and May would have to be incredibly stupid to call one.

Incumbent governments can't just go because people are sick of them, sadly.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I see the BBC is reportinghat Ministers set targets for the number of forced removals from the UK.

That nails it for me.

Vicious, nasty and sociopathic."

And a judicial review said that that wasn't allowed because people would be severely hampered in their appeal if they were out of the country.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"In any other era, May and her incompetent cohorts would have been long gone. The fact that people are putting up with it is because so many people view Corbyn, Abbott and crew as being an worse alternative. Terrible times.

Maybe. Or maybe it's because a general election needs to happen, and May would have to be incredibly stupid to call one.

Incumbent governments can't just go because people are sick of them, sadly. "

They would have lost the last election or had to endure multiple votes of confidence if Labour had a more electable Leader. The weight of public and Parliamentary pressure would have caved this Government if the alternative was credible.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"In any other era, May and her incompetent cohorts would have been long gone. The fact that people are putting up with it is because so many people view Corbyn, Abbott and crew as being an worse alternative. Terrible times.

They would have lost the last election or had to endure multiple votes of confidence if Labour had a more electable Leader. The weight of public and Parliamentary pressure would have caved this Government if the alternative was credible. "

Disagree - Labour polled incredibly highly. The collapse of the Lib Dems appeared to help the Tories.

I'm not sure who you feel is more electable than JC - it certainly wouldn't be a centrist candidate, centre left parties have collapsed all over Europe, and yet the Labbour Party has remained the party with the highest membership of any political party in Europe.

I admit the entire of the mainstream press seems to be against JC (apart from the odd article in the Indy), and continues to smear him relentlessly. My feeling is that he will resign as late as possible in the run up to the next GE having copped most of the flak (since the press seem to like to make it very personal) and some shiny new candidate will step in.

over a year ago

They would have lost the last election or had to endure multiple votes of confidence if Labour had a more electable Leader. The weight of public and Parliamentary pressure would have caved this Government if the alternative was credible.

Disagree - Labour polled incredibly highly. The collapse of the Lib Dems appeared to help the Tories.

I'm not sure who you feel is more electable than JC - it certainly wouldn't be a centrist candidate, centre left parties have collapsed all over Europe, and yet the Labbour Party has remained the party with the highest membership of any political party in Europe.

I admit the entire of the mainstream press seems to be against JC (apart from the odd article in the Indy), and continues to smear him relentlessly. My feeling is that he will resign as late as possible in the run up to the next GE having copped most of the flak (since the press seem to like to make it very personal) and some shiny new candidate will step in. "

Who'll be a complete centrist cunt!.

That's political cronism for yer

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I admit the entire of the mainstream press seems to be against JC (apart from the odd article in the Indy), and continues to smear him relentlessly. My feeling is that he will resign as late as possible in the run up to the next GE having copped most of the flak (since the press seem to like to make it very personal) and some shiny new candidate will step in. .

That's political cronism for yer"

I dunno, the Labour Party seems to be doing quite a good job of shedding Blairites..

over a year ago

I admit the entire of the mainstream press seems to be against JC (apart from the odd article in the Indy), and continues to smear him relentlessly. My feeling is that he will resign as late as possible in the run up to the next GE having copped most of the flak (since the press seem to like to make it very personal) and some shiny new candidate will step in. .

That's political cronism for yer"

That there is an ism

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Incumbent governments can't just go because people are sick of them, sadly. "

because of the fixed term parliament act she couldn't just call a snap election without voting it past parliament first... tory mp's wouldn't vote for it unless they thought it would be a landslide (like last time), and DUP mp's wouldn't vote for it for fear of a Corbyn government...

where in the past i didn't think the parliament would last full term... now i think it will.... unless for some reason the dup stab the tories in the back, which aint happening...

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

I dunno, the Labour Party seems to be doing quite a good job of shedding Blairites.. "

How many Labour leaders won as many elections as Blair?

over a year ago

I dunno, the Labour Party seems to be doing quite a good job of shedding Blairites.. "

It's the illusion of control they wish to give to them.

The minute any real power is handed to them they will be crushed

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Theresa May and Rudd aren't telling the truth, so can't reliably be trusted. I'm assuming that the problem is bigger and they'll be in no rush to share the information.

over a year ago

"Anyone else thinks that the Windrush scandal is just the tip of an iceberg and that many more such stories are about to surface?

Or maybe you agree with Amber Rudd and Theresa May that it was just an oversight and a bit of compo for the Windrush generation is all that is needed?

Personally I believe that more will surface."

Well.. The government was investigated into the treatment of the disabled.

By the eu or un, i forget the body, but was ruled againdt the government.

So i guess it is the tip of the iceberg

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I dunno, the Labour Party seems to be doing quite a good job of shedding Blairites..

"

Who cares? You act as if nothing has changed since 2007.

Need I remind you that a whole generation of potential Labour voters (mine) feel that Blair sold them down the river?

Do you really not see how unpopular he is every time he sticks his oar in over Europe.

People are massively disillusioned with "third way" centrist politics (which are, after all just watered down Thatcherism). They have voted for change pretty much all across the west.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I dunno, the Labour Party seems to be doing quite a good job of shedding Blairites.. .

The minute any real power is handed to them they will be crushed"

Who will?

I take it you haven't read the shrill proclamations that Momentum have "taken over" Labour then?

Of course by "taken over" they mean "democratically elected"...

over a year ago

Let's face it I doubt that for a bunch of people who have arrived in the 1950s how can they not one have a paper traces going back to the 50s , national insurance, tax, etc so how can any government say they have no record of these people ????

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Let's face it I doubt that for a bunch of people who have arrived in the 1950s how can they not one have a paper traces going back to the 50s , national insurance, tax, etc so how can any government say they have no record of these people ????"

They had targets of numbers of people to remove and I guess that they gambled that the public wouldn't be as sympathetic towards black people. They destroyed the records.

Wo sind sein papieren?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Rudd and May have absolutely no shame.

Their party is letting them get away with it because no one wants to take immediate leadership from May - people want the Prime Minister job, just not at this precise moment in time. They'll let the EU mess simmer and fester, before toppling her, as well as possibly ridding them of Rudd too, if she serves no purpose or would be their competition.

These 2 exemplify how little ordinary people matter to the conservatives. The people were cannon fodder to try to show that they were tough on population growth, appeasing the Mail etc.

They've lied repeatedly this week, so nothing is trustworthy from them in the slightest. The others in waiting are no better but somewhat worse.

If you take one message from this, it is that your life means nothing to them at all.

over a year ago

I dunno, the Labour Party seems to be doing quite a good job of shedding Blairites.. .

The minute any real power is handed to them they will be crushed

Who will?

I take it you haven't read the shrill proclamations that Momentum have "taken over" Labour then?

Of course by "taken over" they mean "democratically elected"..."

And you will see them crushed in the coming years and by the very mainstream media you thought you trusted!.

I've seen it my entire life, I've seen it first hand, there is a deep state, it's no conspiracy

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"Let's face it I doubt that for a bunch of people who have arrived in the 1950s how can they not one have a paper traces going back to the 50s , national insurance, tax, etc so how can any government say they have no record of these people ????"

Because officials are being driven by targets to deport more than any desire to assist people.

There is a clip on social media of Theresa May setting out the policy in the Commons.

Deport first, appeal later.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

One of the central policies of the government and one of the core issues of the home office in achieving it and the Home Secretary never knew her the details of her brief, yeah right..

Complete bollocks..

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"One of the central policies of the government and one of the core issues of the home office in achieving it and the Home Secretary never knew her the details of her brief, yeah right..

Complete bollocks..

"

Agreed.

It is typical 'plausible deniability'. The Home Secretary or any other Minister of The Crown does not need to be aware of departmental memos that are circulated to inform civil servants of Government policy and orders because the Ministers are the ones who set that policy and give those orders.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Oversight and incompitence

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Oversight and incompitence"

An oversight that was policy they were both aware of?

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Rudd gone

over a year ago

it was high time the racist turd went .... good fucking riddance to the obnoxious slime

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Need I remind you that a whole generation of potential Labour voters (mine) feel that Blair sold them down the river?

Do you really not see how unpopular he is every time he sticks his oar in over Europe.

People are massively disillusioned with "third way" centrist politics (which are, after all just watered down Thatcherism). They have voted for change pretty much all across the west."

No, I don't see it. If everyone in this country is so in love with Corbyn, then why did he lose the general election?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"it was high time the racist turd went .... good fucking riddance to the obnoxious slime "

the problem is that it really wasn't her brief... and the policy that caused these issues were not hers, they were her predecessor.....

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

interesting development happening today....

the conservatives whips are ordering their mp's to vote against in the opposition day debate by labour on windrush and asking making the government turn over documents to the home affairs committee....

the motion is as follows....

"That an humble address be presented to Her Majesty, that she will be graciously pleased to give directions that the following papers be provided to the home affairs committee: all papers, correspondence and advice including emails and text messages, from 11 May 2010 up to and including 1 May 2018, to and between ministers, senior officials and special advisers relating to policy decisions including on the Immigration Acts 2014 and 2016 with regard the Windrush generation cases, including deportations, detentions and refusal of re-entry, the setting of deportation and removal targets and their effect on the Windrush generation, and action taken within government following the concerns raised by Caribbean governments with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office including the original decision by the prime minister not to meet Caribbean heads of government and officials, and all copies of minutes and papers relating to the cabinet’s immigration implementation taskforce."

they may win... but it aint going to look good....

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS
over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

Well no, it's so the new home secretary can hide all the evidence and whitewash the enquiry.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"interesting development happening today....

the conservatives whips are ordering their mp's to vote against in the opposition day debate by labour on windrush and asking making the government turn over documents to the home affairs committee....

the motion is as follows....

"That an humble address be presented to Her Majesty, that she will be graciously pleased to give directions that the following papers be provided to the home affairs committee: all papers, correspondence and advice including emails and text messages, from 11 May 2010 up to and including 1 May 2018, to and between ministers, senior officials and special advisers relating to policy decisions including on the Immigration Acts 2014 and 2016 with regard the Windrush generation cases, including deportations, detentions and refusal of re-entry, the setting of deportation and removal targets and their effect on the Windrush generation, and action taken within government following the concerns raised by Caribbean governments with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office including the original decision by the prime minister not to meet Caribbean heads of government and officials, and all copies of minutes and papers relating to the cabinet’s immigration implementation taskforce."

they may win... but it aint going to look good...."

Very well played by Labour- the Tories are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

People are massively disillusioned with "third way" centrist politics (which are, after all just watered down Thatcherism). They have voted for change pretty much all across the west.

No, I don't see it. If everyone in this country is so in love with Corbyn, then why did he lose the general election?"

The collapse of the centre- by your logic the Lib Dems should have done extremely well, mopping up Remain voters as well as "third way" centrists, but they didn't.

Labour did poll the highest they have since 2005.

It's no good pining for Blairite centrism, it's dead. The country is polarised - some blame their disillusionment on the "Labour" in new Labour and have bought the new-right rhetoric about "the left" being too soft on muslims especially (who are the new scapegoat "other" required by the far right), and perceived issues with such things as political correctness. Those who have remained on the left have seen the Blair experiment as a failure for numerous reasons (Iraq, faith schools, privatisation of public services) and have been drawn back to socialism. The young also seem drawn to Labour now.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"Anyone else thinks that the Windrush scandal is just the tip of an iceberg and that many more such stories are about to surface?

Personally I believe that more will surface."

A genuine oversight

over a year ago

it's clearly all part of a massive iceberg which the scummy racists in government and their cheer-leading voters have worked hard to try to cover up ..... what we are seeing now is the very small tip which they weren't able to conceal before the news of racist corruption at the very heart of government was exposed. i predict more racist tory supporters will attempt to divert this thread away from the tory racism scandal in an attempt to limit the damage and to obfuscate their xenophobia.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

No, I don't see it. If everyone in this country is so in love with Corbyn, then why did he lose the general election?"

The people aren't in love with Corbyn but they hate Tony Blair, you appear to be one of the last few still taken in by him!

By *urve BallWoman
over a year ago

North London

Sooooo.... Labour lost the motion today but, as someone said above, this was a no-win situation for the Tories in reality. How bad do they look now?! People are gonna think (and rightly so) "if you have nothing to hide, release those documents". Choosing (in effect) not to release them stinks of cover up but imagine how damaging the actual documents must be for them to choose not to release them, knowing full well how it'd look!

Tip of the iceberg? I'd say, more like the little ripple on the water on top, caused by the tip of the iceberg underneath. And with votes like this one, we're not likely to see even the tip of the iceberg, let alone the whole iceberg.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

No, I don't see it. If everyone in this country is so in love with Corbyn, then why did he lose the general election?

The people aren't in love with Corbyn but they hate Tony Blair, you appear to be one of the last few still taken in by him! "

I massively prefer Labour leaders who actually win elections

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

The people aren't in love with Corbyn but they hate Tony Blair, you appear to be one of the last few still taken in by him!

I massively prefer Labour leaders who actually win elections "

Which no Blairite candidate will do in the current political climate.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

I massively prefer Labour leaders who actually win elections

Which no Blairite candidate will do in the current political climate."

I'm not so sure, I think they will certainly be hounded by momentum types who prefer the likes of Corbyn who cant win an election against the most unpopular government in decades who did their up most to sink their own campaign. But hey, maybe you believe that May chose to attack pensioners and bring back for hunting because she thought they would be vote winners!

over a year ago

So there is going to be a review of the windrush scandal and on its first day Tories have voted not to release secret papers. Transparency is only when it suits this government. How corrupt British politics really is and we are supposed to be the nation who gave democracy to the world!

By *urve BallWoman
over a year ago

North London

The latest on these poor Windrush people:

(From D. Lammy and J. Philips on twitter): "Home Office now wants DNA tests in order to prove parentage for windrush children before agreeing status".

You just couldn't make it up! Well done Mr "not calling it hostile environment anymore" Javid!

Post new Message to Thread