Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

EU Mexico trade deal

Jump to newest

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

The EU has extended it's trade deal with Mexico to more goods, agriculture and services.

This adds to those concluded with Canada, Japan and Singapore since the Brexit referendum

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Yeah, but how many have WE signed since the referendums?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"The EU has extended it's trade deal with Mexico to more goods, agriculture and services.

This adds to those concluded with Canada, Japan and Singapore since the Brexit referendum "

Trump/comporate dems/republicans wont be too happy about this I imagine.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"The EU has extended it's trade deal with Mexico to more goods, agriculture and services.

This adds to those concluded with Canada, Japan and Singapore since the Brexit referendum "

Canadian leader Justin Trudeau said in the week while visiting the UK as part of the Commonwealth talks that he hopes Canada and the UK will rollover the current trade deal the UK and Canada has through our membership of the EU (something remainers have often poured scorn on and said wouldn't happen, looks like they may be proved wrong yet again). Could go down as the fastest trade deal in history between the UK and Canada and Trudeau said he'd like the current trade deal to flip over the day after Brexit.

India (who the EU doesn't have a trade deal with) have also vowed to be an even closer partner of Britain after Brexit. This week Indian PM Narendra Modi also spoke with Theresa May as part of the commonwealth talks said "London's world leading financial role means uk will remain of great importance" signalling that he may perhaps want financial services as part of a uk-India trade deal after Brexit.

Modi also gave the UK £1 billion in investments during this week, signalling his and India's confidence in the UK economy to Continue to perform and grow.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Yeah, but how many have WE signed since the referendums? "

We can't negotiate or sign any while the article 50 negotiations are ongoing. You know that. We will be free to negotiate other trade deals during the transition period.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Yeah, but how many have WE signed since the referendums?

We can't negotiate or sign any while the article 50 negotiations are ongoing. You know that. We will be free to negotiate other trade deals during the transition period. "

So there isn't much point in having a department for international trade then is there?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

We can't negotiate or sign any while the article 50 negotiations are ongoing. You know that. We will be free to negotiate other trade deals during the transition period.

So there isn't much point in having a department for international trade then is there? "

Liam Fox can and has been travelling all over the globe to develop relations with other countries, very important job and department for international trade is vital for that reason.

Laying the groundwork and making preparations for trade talks to start with other countries after Brexit.

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS
over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

It's not just the EU/Canada deal that is rolling over, around 40 others will be also.

So much for making our own way in the world, and negotiating our own deals better than the ones we have now.

It's just the implied admission that we don't have the skills or time to do that. More Brexit omnishambles.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Liam Fox can and has been travelling all over the globe to develop relations with... "

Isn't he the Tory Secretary Of State for Defence who got sacked when for taking his 'friend' Adam Werritty into secret meetings when he was last travelling round the world on government business?

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS
over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

"Liam Fox can and has been travelling all over the globe to develop relations with...

Isn't he the Tory Secretary Of State for Defence who got sacked when for taking his 'friend' Adam Werritty into secret meetings when he was last travelling round the world on government business?

"

Surely you're not suggesting that past indiscretions and incompetence should be any sort of bar to becoming a Tory minister?

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Surely you're not suggesting that past indiscretions and incompetence should be any sort of bar to becoming a Tory minister?"

Who me?...

Surly everyone knows the primary qualification to be a minister in the Maybots government is incompetence, unsuitability, arrogance and a total lack of willingness to take responsibility for actions. Of course being a millionaire or the partner of a millionaire also helps when filling out the CV...

over a year ago

"Liam Fox can and has been travelling all over the globe to develop relations with...

"

And the person who set up the Atlantic Bridge Research and Education Scheme for Margaret Thatcher.

Tainted, but that description could apply to a significant number of people at Westminster in both the Commons and Lords!

over a year ago

This adds to those concluded with Canada, Japan and Singapore since the Brexit referendum

Canadian leader Justin Trudeau said in the week while visiting the UK as part of the Commonwealth talks that he hopes Canada and the UK will rollover the current trade deal the UK and Canada has through our membership of the EU (something remainers have often poured scorn on and said wouldn't happen, looks like they may be proved wrong yet again). Could go down as the fastest trade deal in history between the UK and Canada and Trudeau said he'd like the current trade deal to flip over the day after Brexit.

India (who the EU doesn't have a trade deal with) have also vowed to be an even closer partner of Britain after Brexit. This week Indian PM Narendra Modi also spoke with Theresa May as part of the commonwealth talks said "London's world leading financial role means uk will remain of great importance" signalling that he may perhaps want financial services as part of a uk-India trade deal after Brexit.

Modi also gave the UK £1 billion in investments during this week, signalling his and India's confidence in the UK economy to Continue to perform and grow. "

But India want freedom of movement so we are just going to accept more Indians than Europeans.

Australia, Brazil, Argentina have also said that won't accept a "copy and paste" trade deal under the EU /UK WTO rules - which both EU /UK were happy to accept. Not so easy in practice!

over a year ago

So there isn't much point in having a department for international trade then is there?

Liam Fox can and has been travelling all over the globe to develop relations with other countries, very important job and department for international trade is vital for that reason.

Laying the groundwork and making preparations for trade talks to start with other countries after Brexit. "

How much has that cost so far? Money that could have gone to the NHS!

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

Modi also gave the UK £1 billion in investments during this week, signalling his and India's confidence in the UK economy to Continue to perform and grow. "

“London's world leading financial role means uk will remain of great importance" signalling that he may perhaps want financial services as part of a uk-India trade deal after Brexit.... in return for????

You seem to have forgotten May’s disastrous India trade mission last year in which she came back with nothing but India saying they hoped more visas would be granted in return?

-Matt

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Modi also gave the UK £1 billion in investments during this week, signalling his and India's confidence in the UK economy to Continue to perform and grow.

But India want freedom of movement so we are just going to accept more Indians than Europeans.

Australia, Brazil, Argentina have also said that won't accept a "copy and paste" trade deal under the EU /UK WTO rules - which both EU /UK were happy to accept. Not so easy in practice!"

But we need the WTO members to unanimously agree our tariffs. I mean, all countries love us right? I mean, Russia wouldn't drag their heels to make life tough for us, would they?

over a year ago

"

But we need the WTO members to unanimously agree our tariffs. I mean, all countries love us right? I mean, Russia wouldn't drag their heels to make life tough for us, would they? "

Are you sure?

I thought a two thirds majority was needed to accede to the WTO.

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

"

But we need the WTO members to unanimously agree our tariffs. I mean, all countries love us right? I mean, Russia wouldn't drag their heels to make life tough for us, would they?

Are you sure?

I thought a two thirds majority was needed to accede to the WTO."

I think that it has to be anonymous.

Lookup; "WTO accession"

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

"

Are you sure?

Lookup; "WTO accession""

The terms refer to "a balance of rights and responsibilities".

This is the same as "a loss of sovereignty" in Brexit terms.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Australia, Brazil, Argentina have also said that won't accept a "copy and paste" trade deal under the EU /UK WTO rules - which both EU /UK were happy to accept. Not so easy in practice!

But we need the WTO members to unanimously agree our tariffs. I mean, all countries love us right? I mean, Russia wouldn't drag their heels to make life tough for us, would they? "

You're logic just doesn't add up. You've been consistently saying on here that Russia wants the UK to leave the EU. You've even made allegations that Russia helped the leave campaign. If that's the case then why would Russia attempt to block It?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Hang on... so if we are doing the same deal with Canada that the eu has done with Canada... then what is the point of leaving the single market?

I thought the UK were suppose to be getting super duper deals

So basically the UK are saying the eu/Canada deal was the best available... so yey for the eu negotiating team the UK will no longer have access to!

over a year ago

"

Are you sure?

Lookup; "WTO accession""

Anonymous? Or unanimous?

I did look up WTO accession.

How to join the WTO: the accession process.

Any state or customs territory having full autonomy in the conduct of its trade policies may join (“accede to”) the WTO, but WTO members must agree on the terms. Broadly speaking the application goes through four stages:

Fast fwd to Stage 4...

Finally, “the decision”. The final package, consisting of the report, protocol and lists of commitments, is presented to the WTO General Council or the Ministerial Conference. If a two-thirds majority of WTO members vote in favour, the applicant is free to sign the protocol and to accede to the organization. In many cases, the country’s own parliament or legislature has to ratify the agreement before membership is complete.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

You're logic just doesn't add up. You've been consistently saying on here that Russia wants the UK to leave the EU. You've even made allegations that Russia helped the leave campaign. If that's the case then why would Russia attempt to block It? "

My logic does add up, Russia wants us weaker, they want us out of the EU, and once we are out, they are not gonna stop fucking with us. They will kick us while we are down. But fine, you don't like Russia as an example, how about Argentina?

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

"

Are you sure?

Lookup; "WTO accession"

Anonymous? Or unanimous?

Any state or customs territory having full autonomy in the conduct of its trade policies may join (“accede to”) the WTO, but WTO members must agree on the terms. Broadly speaking the application goes through four stages:

Fast fwd to Stage 4...

Finally, “the decision”. The final package, consisting of the report, protocol and lists of commitments, is presented to the WTO General Council or the Ministerial Conference. If a two-thirds majority of WTO members vote in favour, the applicant is free to sign the protocol and to accede to the organization. In many cases, the country’s own parliament or legislature has to ratify the agreement before membership is complete.

"

Unanimous. Typo. Your quote seems to be missing an important word:

WTO accessions

"Any state or customs territory having full autonomy in the conduct of its trade policies may become a member (“accede to”) the WTO, but all WTO members must agree on the terms. This is done through the establishment of a working party of WTO members and through a process of negotiations.

How to become a WTO member

All members join the WTO as a result of negotiations. WTO membership means a balance of rights and obligations."

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

You're logic just doesn't add up. You've been consistently saying on here that Russia wants the UK to leave the EU. You've even made allegations that Russia helped the leave campaign. If that's the case then why would Russia attempt to block It?

My logic does add up, Russia wants us weaker, they want us out of the EU, and once we are out, they are not gonna stop fucking with us. They will kick us while we are down. But fine, you don't like Russia as an example, how about Argentina? "

As Scrabble already pointed out in his posts above a 2 thirds majority vote would carry us through.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Are you sure?

Lookup; "WTO accession"

Anonymous? Or unanimous?

Fast fwd to Stage 4...

"

We are not joining, we are already members. We are getting agreement for our tariff schedules

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

My logic does add up, Russia wants us weaker, they want us out of the EU, and once we are out, they are not gonna stop fucking with us. They will kick us while we are down. But fine, you don't like Russia as an example, how about Argentina?

As Scrabble already pointed out in his posts above a 2 thirds majority vote would carry us through. "

That's joining, not agreeing new schedules.

By *asyuk OP   Man
over a year ago

West London

This has all got very boring.

As far as I can tell we will have to join the WTO as a new member.

Possibly they have already? Then there is a working group made of arbitrary members which decides on an arbitrary basis if our various bilateral and multilateral negotiations have reached some acceptable position at which point there is a vote but it is not clear to me if it has to be unanimous (as implied in the introduction to the process) or a 2/3 majority which is, ironically, a higher bar than the referendum

It could be simple or it could be easy. Our Australian friends have already objected to some of our requests. Ho hum.

That's just to get on the most basic terms of trade with a number of countries that we already have preferential deals with.

Perhaps it will be easy. Perhaps it will be nightmarishly complicated. I don't know. Luckily Centaur can advise us due to his extensive diplomatic and international negotiation experience

Does anyone believe that Russia and Putin do not see the USA, the EU and the UK specifically as strategic rivals? Are these nations imposing sanctions both nationally and personally? Has the UK not seriously embarrassed Russia in recent months?

Does anyone believe that Russia is not inclined to exact revenge on its enemies either overtly or covertly?

Do we know how many EU trade deals will be rolled over for the UK? Do you know what they involve? They involve mutually agreed standards and domestic content of products. Do you think that we will then be free to change our standards without renegotiation?

The EU has been busy racking up major trade deals, some of which have taken decades. What makes the UK a more attractive market for any country than the EU? Why would the USA or China or India want to do a deal with us more than with the EU? How long will it take to negotiate with them? How long will it take to negotiate the roll over of existing EU deals.

Again, any assertion that it will be quick or easy is nonsense. Nobody actually knows. Stating otherwise is lying.

However, sometimes it's easier to believe a lie than even acknowledge doubt.

Brexit supporter can acknowledge doubt because then the gamble does not seem worth the risk

Post new Message to Thread